General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Coach who knows ADD Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-08 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Need Coach who knows ADD
Hi all,
If this is the wrong place, please let me know and I will move it. I am 51, and have been struggling with ADD since I quit smoking 9 years ago. Yes, the nicotine creates dopamine, which helps regulate ADD and ADHD. But the health problems are not worth it, of course. I am totally scattered now. I went for testing, and the Doctor told me that since I have functioned pretty well most of my life (define "pretty well" - I am easily bored, totally bored with my job and about to quit with 3 years left to a pension, etc.) that he wouldn't recommend any medicines, but wants me to exercise.

Here is the issue. I am older, and need to lose 20 pounds. I hate biking on the roads -- scares me. And I live near Canada. I have access to a pool once a week. And I am afraid if I bike, say, on a Tuesday, my legs will be shot for a run Wednesday. When I took spinning, it kicked my butt.

So I want to hire a coach who knows or has ADD and understands the issues with older female athletes - like my knees ached for two days after doing intervals the other day. Please PM me if you are interested, or know of anyone good. They MUST understand ADD, not just be a good coach.

Thanks much!
Nancy

2013-10-08 12:40 PM
in reply to: nancylee

User image

Regular
NW
Subject: RE: Need Coach who knows ADD
As a fellow ADD'er, I would just suggest finding a training program and making it your exercise life. You will love the structure it provides and the exercise will do wonders. Honestly, you will probably drive most coaches crazy. I've been there. :-)

The hardest with a coach.....documenting your results and reporting back. Oh it is great fun for about a month or so and then guess what happens? Follow a program and just do what it says. No documenting required. You can track your progress from time to time for fun but it will grow old pretty quick. Try an existing program for the distance you want to compete at and go for it.

Use a beginner program and ....... don't do intervals in anything starting out! But now we are letting the conversation and topic wander... :-)
2013-10-08 12:56 PM
in reply to: tamason

User image

Asking because I'm genuinely curious, not questioning your need, but why would ADD/ADHD drive the need for a specially trained tri coach? How does ADD make training different? Is it a long term focus thing?
2013-10-08 12:57 PM
in reply to: tamason

User image

Extreme Veteran
Haha!! Wandering conversations!! I was able to use a coach for one season before my Oly distance tri and then lost interest!! LOL!! Yes, I think I would drive a coach nuts. I follow directions, but love instant answers, and am not patient at all.

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it. My only concern is fitting in the exercises without beating up my old legs!
Nancy
2013-10-08 1:02 PM
in reply to: aliddle9876

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi,
It's for a few reasons. First, most people with ADD have problems with long term projects, and someone familiar with ADD would know how to set up training for that type of mind. I am a teacher, and if I stay on one topic for too long, my ADD students' eyes begin to glaze over.

Second reason is that, from what I read, certain types of exercise are better for ADD. From what the doctor told me, exercise is very effective in helping make ADDers lives much more manageable. But just going out and sloughing off 30 minutes 3 times a week, like I have been doing, doesn't do much.

And thirdly, I can't figure out a way to get biking in and then run. My legs are beat after biking, so a coach would help with that. I wouldn't need an ADD coach for that, but with the other issues I have with focus and attention, someone who knows how to deal with that would be best. We are not like other minds. Our brains go super fast, and we lose interest very quickly.
Thanks for asking!
Nancy
2013-10-08 1:48 PM

User image

Interesting.

Thanks!

2013-10-08 2:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
My son is 16 and has ADHD. I have been trying to get him to exercise more forever, what types of exercises are better for ADHDers?

2013-10-08 4:39 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by jdl2012 2013-10-08 4:50 PM
2013-10-08 5:12 PM
in reply to: jdl2012

5 full marathons in one year? Wow! My legs would fall off after 3.
2013-10-08 5:33 PM
in reply to: jdl2012

Extreme Veteran
Thanks! I am running already, 3x a week. I don't like walking because I get impatient! I'm getting a smart phone again, I can download stuff to listen to maybe,
Nancy
2013-10-08 8:32 PM

Different things work for different adders but I found running and swimming with an ipod helps. I don't bike with one because it's important to be totally aware of traffic, etc.

2013-10-09 12:41 AM

Originally posted by nancylee

Hi,
It's for a few reasons. First, most people with ADD have problems with long term projects, and someone familiar with ADD would know how to set up training for that type of mind. I am a teacher, and if I stay on one topic for too long, my ADD students' eyes begin to glaze over.

Second reason is that, from what I read, certain types of exercise are better for ADD. From what the doctor told me, exercise is very effective in helping make ADDers lives much more manageable. But just going out and sloughing off 30 minutes 3 times a week, like I have been doing, doesn't do much.

And thirdly,I can't figure out a way to get biking in and then run. My legs are beat after biking, so a coach would help with that. I wouldn't need an ADD coach for that, but with the other issues I have with focus and attention, someone who knows how to deal with that would be best. We are not like other minds. Our brains go super fast, and we lose interest very quickly.
Thanks for asking!
Nancy

I don't know about the ADD or a recommendation for a coach but I suspect that you might want to simply go a bit easier on the bike / spinning to be able to then run. You don't have to pedal your hardest for a fitness benefit especially if you also need/want to burn calories for weight management.

Good luck in your quest.
2013-10-09 7:28 AM

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by nancylee

Here is the issue. I am older, and need to lose 20 pounds. I hate biking on the roads -- scares me. And I live near Canada. I have access to a pool once a week. And I am afraid if I bike, say, on a Tuesday, my legs will be shot for a run Wednesday. When I took spinning, it kicked my butt.

If you are riding so hard on Thursday that you can't run on Wednesday, you are biking too hard for your fitness level. Have you done any type of test on the bike (indoors) to establish appropriate training levels and then used that to structure your training? Or are you just hammering as hard as you can on the bike each time?

So I want to hire a coach who knows or has ADD and understands the issues with older female athletes - like my knees ached for two days after doing intervals the other day. Please PM me if you are interested, or know of anyone good. They MUST understand ADD, not just be a good coach.

Knees aching after running or cycling intervals? If running, what did the intervals look like, how long have you been running and what does your typical week of running look like? I would suggest that it is very likely that running intervals as you are doing them are not appropriate in your run training yet and you need to focus on lots of easy running for the time being.

If on the bike, you very likely may have a fit issue if your knees are bothering you after hard efforts on the bike - worth getting looked at by someone who knows what they're doing.

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Coach who knows ADD Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Just added aeros...what should I know?

Started by KatieLimb
Views: 1019 Posts: 7

2013-04-30 9:01 AM Donto

How to know when to fire your triathlon coach

Started by redbullgt337
Views: 2238 Posts: 6

2010-05-20 8:19 PM KathyG

Mike R and other coaches- convince why I need a coach rather than a plan

Started by xterratri
Views: 2191 Posts: 23

2006-12-21 1:57 PM gsmacleod

D3 Multisport Adds Coach Mark Sunderland to BT Support Forum

Started by mikericci
Views: 731 Posts: 3

2006-08-03 2:53 PM mikericci

How I know the season is approaching..add your own

Started by trilover
Views: 844 Posts: 7

2005-03-08 1:05 PM ShellTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.

comments : 2
Details on how athletes can connect with registered BT coaches for training plans and personal triathlon coaching.
comments : 1
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.

date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
How to choose a coach? A summary of three 'types' of coaches and the pros and cons of each.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).