Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What's the grossest thing you've eaten--intentionally or unintentionally? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-10-09 9:29 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: What's the grossest thing you've eaten--intentionally or unintentionally?

OK, Hot Runner made me remember another one.

I spent a summer studying in London. English food is freakin horrible, at least the stuff served in the cafe where I was going to school, and I was too broke to buy outside meals.  At the end of the summer, I met my parents and step-sister in Belgium to see her new baby.  I was pumped to meet the new baby, but I was also so excited to eat really good food.  I got sick on the ferry ride over (it was raining and so I was inside with a bunch of smokers-bleh), and by the time my family picked me up I was ravenous.  When they said we were all going to my step-sister's PIL's house for brunch I almost cried with happiness.  I was so pumped and so HUNGRY.

We sat down to a beautiful table, outside in a gorgeous garden, and the hostess brought out the main dish, which looked like this:

Well it sort of looked like that, except it was a huge crystal bowl, and the things that you see cut up in there, weren't cut up, they were whole, so they looked more like this:

Yes, that's right, whole eel.  Yum, yum, yum. 

And what is that stuff they're in? That's right, slightly lemon flavored gelatin. More yum.

I had to excuse myself to the bathroom to sob before I could come back to the table and take a few polite bites. 

OMFG, gross.

2013-10-09 10:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: What's the grossest thing you've eaten--intentionally or unintentionally?
OMG seeing the one above eels , i may be ableto eat em cooked ,but alive i dont know.

the slithering shape reminds me also

of a dish i really like intentionally

"Pork or Chicken Intestines Barbecue in a stick"

, there's a few of my fellow migrants still prepares them in Texas.
This i can really look forward to:

Edited by strykergt 2013-10-09 10:39 AM

(isaw.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
isaw.jpg (122KB - 10 downloads)
2013-10-09 11:34 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Pro
Tejas
Unintentionally, iguana. Intentionally, live goldfish, several of them. Another reason I subscribe to the "Becoming sober" thread.
2013-10-09 12:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
I've eaten plenty of weird items on purpose when on work travel, but the only one that still sends shivers down my back and nightmares that I may be served it again is stinky tofu. Unfortunately this was the very first thing I ate that might be considered authentic Chinese/Asian food. Took a huge leap of faith to move onto the next meal on my first trip to APAC, and not run screaming for the nearest KFC (which also sucks, but in a comforting, familiar sort of way)

Edited by cnsegura 2013-10-09 12:02 PM
2013-10-09 1:41 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I've unintentionally consumed several pretty nasty things via siphon including...

1.) gasoline that had sat in my truck's fuel tank for at least 5 years (turned into a gel like consistency)
2.) water/sludge from the top of our pool cover in the spring when we were trying to open it up for the year
3.) treated water from a water bed
4.) fluid from a decomposing body

You'd think I would learn my lesson--or how to siphon properly!
2013-10-09 1:54 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by drfoodlove I've unintentionally consumed several pretty nasty things via siphon including... 1.) gasoline that had sat in my truck's fuel tank for at least 5 years (turned into a gel like consistency) 2.) water/sludge from the top of our pool cover in the spring when we were trying to open it up for the year 3.) treated water from a water bed 4.) fluid from a decomposing body You'd think I would learn my lesson--or how to siphon properly!

Seriously??  Uh, you win, end thread.

2013-10-09 2:07 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by noelle1230

Originally posted by drfoodlove I've unintentionally consumed several pretty nasty things via siphon including... 1.) gasoline that had sat in my truck's fuel tank for at least 5 years (turned into a gel like consistency) 2.) water/sludge from the top of our pool cover in the spring when we were trying to open it up for the year 3.) treated water from a water bed 4.) fluid from a decomposing body You'd think I would learn my lesson--or how to siphon properly!

yeah, if anyone can beat fluid from a decomposing body I don't want to know. Holy ballz. Woah.
2013-10-09 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by switch

yeah, if anyone can beat fluid from a decomposing body I don't want to know. Holy ballz. Woah.

And by the way, I'm surely no coroner, but WHY do you need to siphon ANYTHING from a dead body with your mouth...........???

2013-10-09 2:11 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Oh dear Gawd.  Yep, you totally win. 

2013-10-09 3:23 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

And by the way, I'm surely no coroner, but WHY do you need to siphon ANYTHING from a dead body with your mouth...........???

A dubious honor to win the thread for sure!

There is a really long story involved here, but the short version is that I was excavating a body (I'm a forensic anthropologist) and the sky basically opened up and dropped buckets of rain on us for about an hour. The wind blew our tarp off the unit, but we didn't notice from the truck. When the rain ended we went back to the unit to find it full of water and decomp fluid. Unfortunately, this particular excavation already involved someone shooting at us to keep us from recovering the body, so we had to finish as fast as we could--thus, no time to go get a pump and whatnot. We bailed out most of the water with buckets, but those last few inches wouldn't budge, and so the siphon idea was hatched. Being in charge it was my mistake to not secure the tarp, so I took siphon duties. Even though it was disgusting and potentially hazardous (but turns out dead guy didn't have any diseases--score!!), I'd still make the same decision again given the choice of dodging bullets or a mouthful of gross.
2013-10-09 3:30 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by drfoodlove

A dubious honor to win the thread for sure! There is a really long story involved here, but the short version is that I was excavating a body (I'm a forensic anthropologist) and the sky basically opened up and dropped buckets of rain on us for about an hour. The wind blew our tarp off the unit, but we didn't notice from the truck. When the rain ended we went back to the unit to find it full of water and decomp fluid. Unfortunately, this particular excavation already involved someone shooting at us to keep us from recovering the body, so we had to finish as fast as we could--thus, no time to go get a pump and whatnot. We bailed out most of the water with buckets, but those last few inches wouldn't budge, and so the siphon idea was hatched. Being in charge it was my mistake to not secure the tarp, so I took siphon duties. Even though it was disgusting and potentially hazardous (but turns out dead guy didn't have any diseases--score!!), I'd still make the same decision again given the choice of dodging bullets or a mouthful of gross.

You the BADDEST betch here!

I bow to you, great one.  Damn.

Pure awesome.

2013-10-09 4:34 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Originally posted by melbo55

Unintentional: last night at my dad's I saw what I thought was a grape-flavored gum drop.  Nope, it was black licorice.  Blech.  Ick.

Intentional: sounds gross but was actually good:  Live termites fresh from the tree in Costa Rica.

I know that comes nowhere close to Balut, I just needed to vent my disgust at black licorice. Smile

Live termites? 

Was this the I'm-camping-and-I'm-so-hungry-everything-tastes-good phenomenon, or were they really good?

The live bug/worm thing is so much harder for me to do than the dead bug/worm thing. 

Yup, they were alive and thankfully very small.  Had they been larger, I may not have been so adventurous.  Not camping - on a nature trek with an indigenous guide.  And yeah, they tasted fine.  A little nutty, even.

2013-10-09 4:38 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

A dubious honor to win the thread for sure! There is a really long story involved here, but the short version is that I was excavating a body (I'm a forensic anthropologist) and the sky basically opened up and dropped buckets of rain on us for about an hour. The wind blew our tarp off the unit, but we didn't notice from the truck. When the rain ended we went back to the unit to find it full of water and decomp fluid. Unfortunately, this particular excavation already involved someone shooting at us to keep us from recovering the body, so we had to finish as fast as we could--thus, no time to go get a pump and whatnot. We bailed out most of the water with buckets, but those last few inches wouldn't budge, and so the siphon idea was hatched. Being in charge it was my mistake to not secure the tarp, so I took siphon duties. Even though it was disgusting and potentially hazardous (but turns out dead guy didn't have any diseases--score!!), I'd still make the same decision again given the choice of dodging bullets or a mouthful of gross.

Wow, great story, although the thought of the fluid from the decomposing body just makes me cringe. 

2013-10-09 7:45 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
I've seen threads take left turns before, but at no point on page one did I think the end would be fluid from a decomposing body. Dedication to the job, no doubt about it.
2013-10-10 8:17 PM

User image

Master

Pure awesome.

OMG, X100000000.  I'm sorry, but that is faching awesome.  In the true sense of the word.

BTW, good idea to interject what your occupation is right after "I was excavating a body".  Otherwise we'da wondered... Laughing

2013-10-10 10:36 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Pro
Originally posted by bcraht

Pure awesome.

OMG, X100000000.  I'm sorry, but that is faching awesome.  In the true sense of the word.

BTW, good idea to interject what your occupation is right after "I was excavating a body".  Otherwise we'da wondered... Laughing

It's never happened to me while I was "giving breaths", but this story reminded me of the two times I was doing compressions during CPR and the victim vomited into the mouth of my partner giving breaths.  I have to say, to their absolute credit, both of them turned their heads, spit, and kept going. ~hats off~

2013-10-10 11:02 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
Originally posted by Left Brain
Originally posted by bcraht

Pure awesome.

It's never happened to me while I was "giving breaths", but this story reminded me of the two times I was doing compressions during CPR and the victim vomited into the mouth of my partner giving breaths.  I have to say, to their absolute credit, both of them turned their heads, spit, and kept going. ~hats off~

Oh man i just threw up in my mouth...bleugh.

2013-10-10 11:04 PM

User image

Elite

OK, Hot Runner made me remember another one.

I spent a summer studying in London. English food is freakin horrible, at least the stuff served in the cafe where I was going to school, and I was too broke to buy outside meals.  At the end of the summer, I met my parents and step-sister in Belgium to see her new baby.  I was pumped to meet the new baby, but I was also so excited to eat really good food.  I got sick on the ferry ride over (it was raining and so I was inside with a bunch of smokers-bleh), and by the time my family picked me up I was ravenous.  When they said we were all going to my step-sister's PIL's house for brunch I almost cried with happiness.  I was so pumped and so HUNGRY.

We sat down to a beautiful table, outside in a gorgeous garden, and the hostess brought out the main dish, which looked like this:

Well it sort of looked like that, except it was a huge crystal bowl, and the things that you see cut up in there, weren't cut up, they were whole, so they looked more like this:

Yes, that's right, whole eel.  Yum, yum, yum. 

And what is that stuff they're in? That's right, slightly lemon flavored gelatin. More yum.

I had to excuse myself to the bathroom to sob before I could come back to the table and take a few polite bites. 

OMFG, gross.

Yep I'm from East London - jellied eels are something to behold but i can't eat them....yuck.

2013-10-11 2:42 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Not sure if this was a good thread to read or not.  We will see when it comes time to sit down for dinner tonight.

Dead body.  OMFG.  No doubt winner.

Anywho, I was involved in a "Ten Man" competition in college several times.  This is a STUPID thing to do by the way.  Basically you get 10 people together on a team, matched up against at least one other team, and it's a race to see who can drink a pony keg the fastest.  If you spill your beer, you are out.  If you leave to go the bathroom you are out.  If you throw up, you are out..... unless, (gross part), you throw up in your keg cup, drink it, and keep going.  Real hardcore teams would drink each other's puke, on purpose.  I was in the "yeh, I will drink my own puke for the team" group but never the latter group. 

It's no dead body juices but the gag factor still comes back when I think back to seeing a guy throw up in his cup, a team mate pour his puke into the first guy's cup, and first guy take it all down.  Then go back for more beer. 

2013-10-11 2:58 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
If someone can beat decomposing body fluid, I'm not sure I want to hear it.  Makes me think of the dead lady that was in the hotel water tank in LA for a few months.
2013-10-11 2:59 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
If someone can beat decomposing body fluid, I'm not sure I want to hear it.  Makes me think of the dead lady that was in the hotel water tank in LA for a few months.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What's the grossest thing you've eaten--intentionally or unintentionally? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

What's the grossest thing... Pages: 1 2 3

Started by SoberTriGuy
Views: 3301 Posts: 51

2012-10-31 5:13 PM TriAya

What's the dumbest thing you've done with somebody watching Pages: 1 2

Started by Mike Ervolina
Views: 1528 Posts: 32

2007-09-25 12:52 AM spokes

Pet spider kills owner...and then things get *REALLY* gross

Started by LHablas
Views: 839 Posts: 20

2007-08-28 3:57 PM misscullen

what's the craziest thing you've done lately? Pages: 1 2

Started by ellasdad
Views: 1685 Posts: 28

2007-05-09 11:34 AM spokes

The GROSSEST Thing I have ever heard!

Started by nliedel
Views: 1248 Posts: 18

2005-07-18 2:45 PM marmadaddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 23, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.

date : March 28, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What should you do when your food rules start taking over your life?
date : October 6, 2010
comments : 0
The same athletes who worry about event-day fueling often neglect their day to day training diet. The question this article answers is, “What should I eat before, during and after I train?”

date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.
date : June 25, 2010
comments : 4
Ever wonder what’s best to eat during long runs, bike rides or other exercise that lasts more than 60 to 90 minutes?

date : April 1, 2008
Coaches and parents alike want their athletes to eat well and be healthy. The struggling athletes just want people to stop policing their eating and exercise.
date : February 7, 2008
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.

date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.