Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What's the grossest thing you've eaten--intentionally or unintentionally? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-10-08 2:59 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: What's the grossest thing you've eaten--intentionally or unintentionally?
Originally posted by cdban66
Originally posted by switch
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by TriJedi Does old chew spit in a Coke bottle count?

I've come really really close to that one but fortunately my sense of smell kicked in just in time.

Oh! I've totally done that. 

When I was in the second grade I had to stay after school with my best friend, and we had to beat erasers (totally dating myself).  We came back in through the janitors area in the basement, and there was what looked like half a bottle of coke sitting there. 

My friend dared me to take a sip.  (I'm not sure I've ever walked away from a dare, and that's not something I'm proud of--actually met my husband that way).  Anyway, gross.  So, so gross.

This statement explains a LOT about you.  You are an open book.

I didn't even tell you the dare...open book my azz. Trust me, you have no idea

2013-10-08 3:02 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Subject: RE: What's the grossest thing you've eaten--intentionally or unintentionally?
I have the same problem with dares - it's led me to eat a fishes eye (so gross when it bursts in your mouth). But that was mainly mental - the grossest things were tripe in a township in South Africa and toad in Beijing. Just typing out toad made me gag a bit again. Vile.

Taking a massive swig of milk out of the fridge when I was a kid that was all lumpy because it had gone off wasn't nice either.
2013-10-08 3:04 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

A live Madagascar Hissing Cockroach.

This was after one of my invertebrate biology dissection labs where we had a big plastic bin of various kinds of cockroaches that we had to catch by hand and then take to our lab area to dissect.  Well, one of the Wil.E.Coyote geeeeeniuses decided to put down a dare that if anyone ate one of the roaches from the bin he'd pay for drinks for the rest of the semester. 

I was drunk from September until Xmas. 

you win
2013-10-08 3:05 PM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Dan-LI have the same problem with dares - it's led me to eat a fishes eye (so gross when it bursts in your mouth). But that was mainly mental - the grossest things were tripe in a township in South Africa and toad in Beijing. Just typing out toad made me gag a bit again. Vile.Taking a massive swig of milk out of the fridge when I was a kid that was all lumpy because it had gone off wasn't nice either.
woah. Toad? Like the whole thing? What was that like?
2013-10-08 3:14 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I ate a sheep eyeball at a mansaf in Jordan about 10 years ago. I can still feel the "spurt" of juices hitting the back of my throat when I bit into it.

2013-10-08 3:15 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
This thread is great for my diet Laughing

2013-10-08 3:54 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by drfoodlove I ate a sheep eyeball at a mansaf in Jordan about 10 years ago. I can still feel the "spurt" of juices hitting the back of my throat when I bit into it.

The eyeball people are truly awe inspiring.

You are a strong, strong woman.

2013-10-08 3:57 PM
in reply to: kevin_trapp

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by kevin_trapp
Originally posted by Kido

Originally posted by kevin_trapp If I was to just think about the ingredients, rocky mountain oysters.  But quite frankly, they were delicious.  It's a toss up between tripe and St. Louis style pizza (provel is not a f'ing cheese!).  

Them's fighting words.  STL style pizza is as bad as tripe?  No way.  That's one of the worlds best things compared to one of the worse.  STL pizza is amazing (and I'm not saying that because I grew up there).

I can't recall eating anything really gross.  Maybe inhaled a bug or two on a ride or swallowed some spoiled milk or something.

My wife however, got excited to try new things during our trip to Japan and loaded her plate with natto.  I knew what it was and thought her crazy, but I also thought SHE knew what it was since she took so much.  She doesn't mind a lot of the crazy asian food, so I thought "more power to you".  But when she took that first bite, and I saw the panic and tears from in her eyes?  I laughed and laughed...

Now I have to try St. Louis pizza. 

I might need to try natto too.

Here's how you can make your own approximation. Start with a piece of cardboard, add a mixture of ketchup and way too much oregano for the sauce, then cover it with watered down velveeta. Make sure you burn the cardboard just a little bit when you're cooking it. Then, for some reason that is beyond me, cut the round pizza into squares. I guess to make it look as bad as it tastes? Keep in mind that this will actually taste better than a real STL pizza, since the cardboard is an improvement over the unleavened dough they use for a crust. But if you're ever in the Lou and want to give a try, first slice...I mean square...is on me. At least we have some phenomenal microbreweries to help wash the taste out of your mouth.

I have a feeling that I'll be in St.Louis sometime in the next year, and I'm gonna take you up on this very generous offer.  I may see if I can get LB to hook me up with a pig snoot sami in the same trip;)

2013-10-08 4:30 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
Originally posted by kevin_trapp
Originally posted by Kido

Originally posted by kevin_trapp If I was to just think about the ingredients, rocky mountain oysters.  But quite frankly, they were delicious.  It's a toss up between tripe and St. Louis style pizza (provel is not a f'ing cheese!).  

Them's fighting words.  STL style pizza is as bad as tripe?  No way.  That's one of the worlds best things compared to one of the worse.  STL pizza is amazing (and I'm not saying that because I grew up there).

I can't recall eating anything really gross.  Maybe inhaled a bug or two on a ride or swallowed some spoiled milk or something.

My wife however, got excited to try new things during our trip to Japan and loaded her plate with natto.  I knew what it was and thought her crazy, but I also thought SHE knew what it was since she took so much.  She doesn't mind a lot of the crazy asian food, so I thought "more power to you".  But when she took that first bite, and I saw the panic and tears from in her eyes?  I laughed and laughed...

Now I have to try St. Louis pizza. 

I might need to try natto too.

Here's how you can make your own approximation. Start with a piece of cardboard, add a mixture of ketchup and way too much oregano for the sauce, then cover it with watered down velveeta. Make sure you burn the cardboard just a little bit when you're cooking it. Then, for some reason that is beyond me, cut the round pizza into squares. I guess to make it look as bad as it tastes? Keep in mind that this will actually taste better than a real STL pizza, since the cardboard is an improvement over the unleavened dough they use for a crust. But if you're ever in the Lou and want to give a try, first slice...I mean square...is on me. At least we have some phenomenal microbreweries to help wash the taste out of your mouth.

I have a feeling that I'll be in St.Louis sometime in the next year, and I'm gonna take you up on this very generous offer.  I may see if I can get LB to hook me up with a pig snoot sami in the same trip

I like St. Louis style pizza and the provel cheese.  Not a lover of some of the crusts that are over baked and too thin.  Not all are that way.

I can't believe the goldfish shots hasn't been brought up, or the worm in the bottom of some of the older Tequila bottles. 

2013-10-08 4:44 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Im Asian Filipino

and intentionally i ate the one below:

Its "Balut" or how Americans call it the "Aborted chick" its Full of iron . Been eating it since i started school.
I just stopped when i migrated here 10 years ago.

(BALUT.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
BALUT.JPG (26KB - 4 downloads)
2013-10-08 4:52 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by strykergt Im Asian Filipino and intentionally i ate the one below: Its "Balut" or how Americans call it the "Aborted chick" its Full of iron . Been eating it since i started school. I just stopped when i migrated here 10 years ago. :)

Woah.  

Woah, woah, woah. 

I don't know if it's the pic, or what, but, Monica, you may have to share your title.

What does Balut taste like? 

2013-10-08 5:47 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Balut its hard to describe , its just like eating soft steamed bird meat a little bit salty. I eat it first by pinching a small hole in the egg slurping the embryonic fluid inside which tastes like beef soup, then you go off the whole thing a third at a time. I dont look at it. You grow up into it and got used to it. Then again i never looked for it in 10 years the taste is something not to crave for.

2013-10-08 6:03 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
This would have to be my Thanksgiving appetizer once.  There was a trashcan to the side of the house with miscellaneous vegetation that had also filled with some rainwater runoff from the roof, and had been sitting there for a while (days, weeks, ???).  I decided that afternoon I was going to siphon it.  Why siphon it?  Beats the *#&$ out of me.  It was a comedy of dumb decisions.  Put the garden hose in there and took a draw of air from the other end to get things started.  Yeah, you know where this is going.  Straight into the stomach.  Oh god.  Took me about an hour to finally throw that stuff up.  Wasn't hungry for Thanksgiving dinner after that.  Foot in mouth
2013-10-08 6:21 PM

User image

Originally posted by strykergtIm Asian Filipinoand intentionally i ate the one below:Its "Balut" or how Americans call it the "Aborted chick" its Full of iron . Been eating it since i started school.I just stopped when i migrated here 10 years ago.
Looks like something that came out of me after a bad night in college. YOU WIN
2013-10-08 7:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Lots of bugs. Unintentionally, but it happens on bike rides sometimes.

I'm not sure I want to read this thread.

ETA: That's what I know about anyway.

Edited by jeng 2013-10-08 7:21 PM
2013-10-09 1:19 AM

User image

Master

Originally posted by strykergt Im Asian Filipino and intentionally i ate the one below: Its "Balut" or how Americans call it the "Aborted chick" its Full of iron . Been eating it since i started school. I just stopped when i migrated here 10 years ago.

Do the feathers tickle on the way down?  I think I would have to be paid a fair bit of money to get one of these bad boys down.

2013-10-09 6:48 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Bronze member
Originally posted by bcraht

Originally posted by strykergt Im Asian Filipino and intentionally i ate the one below: Its "Balut" or how Americans call it the "Aborted chick" its Full of iron . Been eating it since i started school. I just stopped when i migrated here 10 years ago.

Do the feathers tickle on the way down?  I think I would have to be paid a fair bit of money to get one of these bad boys down.

That photo just did me in. I was gagging while reading most of the thread but that one I puked a little in my mouth.

I've done the spoiled milk thing.

Canned asparagus is on my list of the grossest things ever but the other day I ate lunch at my MIL's and she covered it with Velveeta cheese. I could barely finish my lunch after a bite of that.

And one time my aunt had family over for brunch. She made this egg casserole, the thought of it still makes me queezy. A whole pan of sliced hard boiled eggs mixed up with mayo, sour cream and cream of mushroom soup.

2013-10-09 8:00 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I've come really really close to that one but fortunately my sense of smell kicked in just in time.

When I was in the second grade I had to stay after school with my best friend, and we had to beat erasers (totally dating myself).  We came back in through the janitors area in the basement, and there was what looked like half a bottle of coke sitting there. 

My friend dared me to take a sip.  (I'm not sure I've ever walked away from a dare, and that's not something I'm proud of--actually met my husband that way).  Anyway, gross.  So, so gross.

I didn't even tell you the dare...open book my azz. Trust me, you have no idea

Oh, I think I do. It scares me a little. And I'm excited at the same time.

Is that wrong?

2013-10-09 8:34 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Unintentional: last night at my dad's I saw what I thought was a grape-flavored gum drop.  Nope, it was black licorice.  Blech.  Ick.

Intentional: sounds gross but was actually good:  Live termites fresh from the tree in Costa Rica.

I know that comes nowhere close to Balut, I just needed to vent my disgust at black licorice. Smile

2013-10-09 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'm kind of a picky eater, and I travel a lot, and lived a long time in China, where pretty much everything is eaten, so I've eaten a lot of things that were gross in my opinion. But the worst one I can recall was pig ears. It was a social situation, I had to eat them to be polite to my hosts, and they just kept on coming. That evening seemed to go on forever, as I got more and more nauseous. I'm not sure it was the actual pig ears, or just the thought of what I was eating (I almost never eat any pork, much less the ears). I barely made it out the door before I puked. Normally I have an iron stomach, despite my pickiness, and can pretty much gag down anything to be polite. I can even drink rancid yak butter tea with elderly Tibetan lamas. But this is the one time (when not actually ill) that I just couldn't keep it down.

I was also forced to try scorpion (another social situation) but as soon as it got on my tongue my mouth began to swell up and I broke out in hives, so I wisely spit it out. My hosts thankfully relented in the face of possibly sending me into anaphlytic (sp/?) shock. It's the only time I've been grateful for an allergy. Never done that again.

Then there was the dog incident. When I was studying in the northeast of China, a little family-run Korean place that we students liked to eat at gave us a couple of free dishes at our last meal there as a kind of send-off party. They didn't tell us what they were; I thought it was slightly tough beef in the hotpot. It was dog. I didn't puke.....would have if it had been cat, probably.

Another pretty gross one, but this one was self-inflicted. I tried Chinese caterpillar fungus when someone gave me some as a gift when I lived in China. Crazy but I tried to do a controlled experiment on myself to see if it was a performance aid (rumors were the Chinese distance runners used it). All I can say is it looks and tastes disgusting, and I ran almost exactly the same in the two 3K time trials I set up. Epic fail as both soup addition and performance-enhancing drug.

Edited by Hot Runner 2013-10-09 8:46 AM
2013-10-09 8:49 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I'm kind of a picky eater, and I travel a lot, and lived a long time in China, where pretty much everything is eaten, so I've eaten a lot of things that were gross in my opinion. But the worst one I can recall was pig ears. It was a social situation, I had to eat them to be polite to my hosts, and they just kept on coming. That evening seemed to go on forever, as I got more and more nauseous. I'm not sure it was the actual pig ears, or just the thought of what I was eating (I almost never eat any pork, much less the ears). I barely made it out the door before I puked. Normally I have an iron stomach, despite my pickiness, and can pretty much gag down anything to be polite. I can even drink rancid yak butter tea with elderly Tibetan lamas. But this is the one time (when not actually ill) that I just couldn't keep it down.

I was also forced to try scorpion (another social situation) but as soon as it got on my tongue my mouth began to swell up and I broke out in hives, so I wisely spit it out. My hosts thankfully relented in the face of possibly sending me into anaphlytic (sp/?) shock. It's the only time I've been grateful for an allergy. Never done that again.

Then there was the dog incident. When I was studying in the northeast of China, a little family-run Korean place that we students liked to eat at gave us a couple of free dishes at our last meal there as a kind of send-off party. They didn't tell us what they were; I thought it was slightly tough beef in the hotpot. It was dog. I didn't puke.....would have if it had been cat, probably.

Another pretty gross one, but this one was self-inflicted. I tried Chinese caterpillar fungus when someone gave me some as a gift when I lived in China. Crazy but I tried to do a controlled experiment on myself to see if it was a performance aid (rumors were the Chinese distance runners used it). All I can say is it looks and tastes disgusting, and I ran almost exactly the same in the two 3K time trials I set up. Epic fail as both soup addition and performance-enhancing drug.

HotRunner up there is being modest. I can get started with Disgusting Chinese/Asian Delicacies that my BALUT is not even a hairline close, There are Chinese Delicacies that the ASPCA will raise Hell!!! and Heaven!!! then Back to Hell!!.

Edited by strykergt 2013-10-09 8:52 AM

2013-10-09 8:54 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yes, we won't get into what gets eaten in southern China. I lived in the north, which is more a meat-and-potatoes kind of place.
2013-10-09 9:15 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I didn't even tell you the dare...open book my azz. Trust me, you have no idea :)

Oh, I think I do. It scares me a little. And I'm excited at the same time.

Is that wrong?

Bwahaha!

No, that sounds about right ;)

2013-10-09 9:17 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by melbo55

Unintentional: last night at my dad's I saw what I thought was a grape-flavored gum drop.  Nope, it was black licorice.  Blech.  Ick.

Intentional: sounds gross but was actually good:  Live termites fresh from the tree in Costa Rica.

I know that comes nowhere close to Balut, I just needed to vent my disgust at black licorice. Smile

Live termites? 

Was this the I'm-camping-and-I'm-so-hungry-everything-tastes-good phenomenon, or were they really good?

The live bug/worm thing is so much harder for me to do than the dead bug/worm thing. 

2013-10-09 9:18 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Hot Runner I'm kind of a picky eater, and I travel a lot, and lived a long time in China, where pretty much everything is eaten, so I've eaten a lot of things that were gross in my opinion. But the worst one I can recall was pig ears. It was a social situation, I had to eat them to be polite to my hosts, and they just kept on coming. That evening seemed to go on forever, as I got more and more nauseous. I'm not sure it was the actual pig ears, or just the thought of what I was eating (I almost never eat any pork, much less the ears). I barely made it out the door before I puked. Normally I have an iron stomach, despite my pickiness, and can pretty much gag down anything to be polite. I can even drink rancid yak butter tea with elderly Tibetan lamas. But this is the one time (when not actually ill) that I just couldn't keep it down. I was also forced to try scorpion (another social situation) but as soon as it got on my tongue my mouth began to swell up and I broke out in hives, so I wisely spit it out. My hosts thankfully relented in the face of possibly sending me into anaphlytic (sp/?) shock. It's the only time I've been grateful for an allergy. Never done that again. Then there was the dog incident. When I was studying in the northeast of China, a little family-run Korean place that we students liked to eat at gave us a couple of free dishes at our last meal there as a kind of send-off party. They didn't tell us what they were; I thought it was slightly tough beef in the hotpot. It was dog. I didn't puke.....would have if it had been cat, probably. Another pretty gross one, but this one was self-inflicted. I tried Chinese caterpillar fungus when someone gave me some as a gift when I lived in China. Crazy but I tried to do a controlled experiment on myself to see if it was a performance aid (rumors were the Chinese distance runners used it). All I can say is it looks and tastes disgusting, and I ran almost exactly the same in the two 3K time trials I set up. Epic fail as both soup addition and performance-enhancing drug.

OK, when I think it would be cool to live in Asia for a period of time, I think of stuff like this, and I'm not sure I could do it.  You're a strong woman HR, strong :)

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What's the grossest thing you've eaten--intentionally or unintentionally? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

What's the grossest thing... Pages: 1 2 3

Started by SoberTriGuy
Views: 3295 Posts: 51

2012-10-31 5:13 PM TriAya

What's the dumbest thing you've done with somebody watching Pages: 1 2

Started by Mike Ervolina
Views: 1523 Posts: 32

2007-09-25 12:52 AM spokes

Pet spider kills owner...and then things get *REALLY* gross

Started by LHablas
Views: 838 Posts: 20

2007-08-28 3:57 PM misscullen

what's the craziest thing you've done lately? Pages: 1 2

Started by ellasdad
Views: 1675 Posts: 28

2007-05-09 11:34 AM spokes

The GROSSEST Thing I have ever heard!

Started by nliedel
Views: 1247 Posts: 18

2005-07-18 2:45 PM marmadaddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 23, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.

date : March 28, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What should you do when your food rules start taking over your life?
date : October 6, 2010
comments : 0
The same athletes who worry about event-day fueling often neglect their day to day training diet. The question this article answers is, “What should I eat before, during and after I train?”

date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.
date : June 25, 2010
comments : 4
Ever wonder what’s best to eat during long runs, bike rides or other exercise that lasts more than 60 to 90 minutes?

date : April 1, 2008
Coaches and parents alike want their athletes to eat well and be healthy. The struggling athletes just want people to stop policing their eating and exercise.
date : February 7, 2008
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.

date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.