Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Thinking of buying a mountain bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-11 8:01 AM
in reply to: jmcconne

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Thinking of buying a mountain bike
$1000.00 will get you a really nice hardtail. You will get better components if you get a used 26 instead of a 29er. I ride a 2011 26 Stumperjumper and LOVE it. Read the comparisons of 26 and 29 before you decide but 26 may be the way you want to start out.

2013-10-11 3:24 PM
in reply to: Iowaman

Extreme Veteran
OK, I went to my LBS today to look at new bikes. On my way out I ran into a triathlon guy that I know from Ironman training. He was getting his road wheel fixed. We spent some time catching up and I told him I was looking into a mountain bike. He told me that he has one that he rode a few times but fell and broke his colar bone and hasn't ridden it since. He said I could borrow it and try it out. It is a 2012 Stumpjumper Comp 29. It has a Reba front air shock and hydraulic brakes. It has SRAM components X9 rear and X7 front derailleurs. It has SRAM cranks and DT Swiss wheels. It just happens to be a 21 inch frame which is what I need. He said he paid $2200 for the bike and would sell it if I like it for $1300. I would like to know if you think this is worth 1300. The new one I was looking at was going to be 1579 plus tax and pedals. The new one was a specialized Crave and had shimano front and SRAM X6 rear derailleurs I think it was a recon front shock. Thoughts?
Kevin
2013-10-11 3:27 PM
in reply to: chevy57

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by chevy57 OK, I went to my LBS today to look at new bikes. On my way out I ran into a triathlon guy that I know from Ironman training. He was getting his road wheel fixed. We spent some time catching up and I told him I was looking into a mountain bike. He told me that he has one that he rode a few times but fell and broke his colar bone and hasn't ridden it since. He said I could borrow it and try it out. It is a 2012 Stumpjumper Comp 29. It has a Reba front air shock and hydraulic brakes. It has SRAM components X9 rear and X7 front derailleurs. It has SRAM cranks and DT Swiss wheels. It just happens to be a 21 inch frame which is what I need. He said he paid $2200 for the bike and would sell it if I like it for $1300. I would like to know if you think this is worth 1300. The new one I was looking at was going to be 1579 plus tax and pedals. The new one was a specialized Crave and had shimano front and SRAM X6 rear derailleurs I think it was a recon front shock. Thoughts? Kevin

I got the full suspension of that very bike (or maybe the previous year and larger size)...  It's also the one I said I loved.  I ended up upgrading the wheels after I tacoed one, but if it looks to be in good shape, I think $1300 isn't terrible.  MAYBE say you got $1000 to spend and see if he will meet that price.

2013-10-11 3:30 PM
in reply to: Kido

Extreme Veteran
I made a mistake it is a 2011. Lime green and black everything else was correct. He has upgrades to wider tires, but that is not a big deal. I was thinking the same 1300 seems a little bit high. 1000 is better.
Kevin
2013-10-14 12:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
Originally posted by chevy57

I made a mistake it is a 2011. Lime green and black everything else was correct. He has upgrades to wider tires, but that is not a big deal. I was thinking the same 1300 seems a little bit high. 1000 is better.
Kevin

I've got the Specialized Stumpjumper 29 Comp HT 2012 (insurance replacement for my 20 year old beloved Giant Cadex CFM3 carbon-fibre 26" that was stolen last year), and I absolutely love this bike. I went from no suspension to HT, mainly because I could not get used to the front and rear suspension on the bikes I tried out, even when I firmed it up, and the extra cost was a big factor too. The HT felt the most comfortable to me, and I certainly don't have any trouble keeping up with my FS mates So if the 2011 is similar to the 2012 model, then I think $1000-1300 is a great deal. The combination of carbon-fibre and Al frame certainly makes for a lighter MTB, and I really like the adjustable front suspension, greatly enjoy the disk brakes, and the SRAM gearing is fantastic.

It's my main commuter bike (I use it every day), but I can very quickly whip-off the lights etc and take it out on the desert trails in AZ. We have a fun of fun together, despite more than my fair share of flats, but I'm changing up to 2" Kevlar-lined tires soon to help with that. One of the most amazing things I've found over the last year that I get a LOT less hassle on my commute to work each day on my 29er, compared to my old 26er. Instead of the weekly "get the f**k off the road", being spat at, water bombed, cut up, or harassed, I now get waves, and "sweet bike" comments from drivers. I call it my "monster-truck-bike" and I certainly seem to get more respect on the road
2013-10-14 11:40 PM

User image

Master
I bought an expensive, simple, and heavy Giant Revel to give our local Xterra a try. Worked just fine for me. Our terrain is hilly, rocky in some parts, slick as snot in others, and grassy too. We get all of that on our Xterra bike course. I wasn't sure how far I was going to take the triathlon thing.

Since I've come to enjoy mountain biking quite a bit (I'd still do it if I quit tris), I am going to look for something lighter. If weather is bad, we're pretty much carrying our bikes up and down some places, so I would be much easier for me if my bike didn't weigh a ton. I did end up with nice looking arms from hauling that thing through our hills though!

2013-10-14 11:46 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Master
Originally posted by Kido

As a side note.  XTERRA is the MOST fun I ever had at a triathlon other than maybe Escape from Alcatraz.  IM is VERY satisfying, but far from "fun" in my book.  But XTERRA is just a hoot from beginning to end for me.

Love doing Xterra. Training for it is a blast. We have weekly MTB training rides on Saturday mornings starting in January, and it's always a good time. There's lots of hooting and hollering when you ride in the hills with a bunch of big kids.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Thinking of buying a mountain bike Rss Feed  

of 2