Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Thinking of buying a mountain bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-08 6:44 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Thinking of buying a mountain bike
Folks,
I have a road bike and a tri bike but want to ride in the woods. I know nothing about mountain bikes. A friend just sold his 26 inch full suspension bike and suggested that I buy a 29er hard tail.he did not care for the full suspension bike as it was g
Heavy and wasted too much energy compressing the suspension. Can anyone recommend a good mid range bike? 1000 dollars or less. What type of components?
Kevin

2013-10-08 7:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: Thinking of buying a mountain bike

Yes. Do it!

I bought a used mountain bike last year, a 2002 Specialized Enduro. It's served me well. Despite it being quite a heavy 26er I doubt I am limited in any way by the bike. I crashed so much in the first few months, that I was quite glad that I had a used bike to scratch up.

Most people love their 29ers. I don't think I would go with a 29 for myself as I am 5'2 with shorter legs and might be difficult to fit. I'm considering upgrading in the next couple of years and would probably go with a 27.5/650b. It would probably be a great compromise for me.

Where I live a full suspension bike is almost a must. Well obviously it's not a must, but I don't know many people who would buy a new bike without full suspension. We have some pretty knarly mountain biking though.

Edited by jeng 2013-10-08 7:20 PM
2013-10-08 7:24 PM
in reply to: chevy57

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
As a primary road cyclist, I too sold my full suspension MTB. I found it squirrelly and thought the rear wheel didn't track as I would expect. As a road cyclist, I expect the bike to track exactly as I tell it to. Full suspension seems to add a delay to that.

I ride my 1992 Specialized and love it. It's a 26 wheel bike; old school but it's built with good components and works well.

I think Specialized is probably your best value out there. 29 is great if you're riding wide open trails. I may be old school, but I think 26 is better in tight, twisty technical lines.
2013-10-08 7:34 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

There is a lot of what you say your friend said I could argue BUT could also agree depending on the situation.

A lot of it depends on the type of riding you plan to do.  But FOR ME, I would never go back to a 26.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 29er full suspension.  I wouldn't trade it for anything, except another 29er full suspension.  They changed the world for me and brought a level of enjoyment to MTB riding I didn't know existed.  If you look at Cannondale, they barely even makes 26 bikes anymore.

Wasted energy with a FS?  Proper riding technique should eliminate much of that (spin, don't mash), plus most have a lock out, so you turn your FS into a HT.  Weight?  Yeah, a bit heavier which may be a factor if you do LOTS of climbing, but then you would hate a hardtail on a technical downhill.  Cross country?  Hard tail is a good choice.  All mountain or downhill?  FS.

If you are a bigger guy, a 29er (height, not weight).  shorter?  26.

Honestly, I'm worried about your budget.  1k won't get much.  You can rule out full suspension all together.  If you get hydraulic disk brakes and a semi decent front shock, you are easily at 1k.  Something with decent shimano or sram components?  Yikes.

MTB's are a whole different world when it comes to prices.  For example, I got an above average full suspension 29er for close to 3k and for the same price, got a race ready TT bike.

2013-10-08 7:36 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Why not get a used bike? I got mine for $400. FS, hydraulic brakes, decent components.
2013-10-08 8:01 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by jeng Why not get a used bike? I got mine for $400. FS, hydraulic brakes, decent components.

Seconded. (although $400 sounds like a great deal, and might be a stretch to replicate.)   I bought a used 2009 Trek Fuel EX8 in 2010. I paid $1600.  Is it heavy?  sure.  I came off of a MUCH lighter '96 specialized HT.   I would never go back. 

I would agree that if you stand and mash on the pedals to climb, like you would on a road bike, It's going to feel comparatively squishy.   In reality, you go down a gear and stay in the seat.  There's not really any reason to "stand and climb" in most MTB scenarios.

I find Trek's rear triangle geometry to be outstanding.  The ABP system really does help keep the rear suspension moving under most conditions.  

Finally, I would venture a guess that if someone really, really didn't like a FS bike, there's likely 2 causes:

1. they were on the wrong bike for their style of riding

2. they didn't spend enough time trying to get the shocks setup for their weight and riding style.

I guess a 3rd cause is:  they're an inveterate roadie and just can't stand the feel of ANY movement in the rear triangle.

I agree with the other poster that suggests $1000 might not be quite enough.  But, if you're not in a hurry and can search for a bargain... you'll eventually find something.

2013-10-08 11:30 PM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

over a barrier
If you wait for the clearance /closeouts, you can get a decent 29hard tail. I race on a hard tail Scott picked up on clearance last winter.

Mountain bike racing is a blast.
2013-10-09 4:24 AM
in reply to: running2far

Extreme Veteran
OK thanks for the input. I am 6,1 and typically weigh 220- 230. I am 242 right now as I have fattened up to prepare for my winter hibernation. The mountain bike may change the hibernation plan. I am thinking that at this weight i will want an air fork up front and hydraulic brakes. I am not against buying used although I have been watching craigslist for a few weeks now and have not found anything compelling yet. I can add to the budget (i will just stop feeding the kids for a few weeks). We have a good LBS that sells specialized. We have another LBS that sells Trek. I will check them out this weekend and see what they recommend.
Kevin
2013-10-09 5:48 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I have an old 26 HT (schwinn Moab) and a 29 gar fisher HT. I ride mtb like a time trialist. I like to go fast, and in a relatively straight line :D I don't care for single track, and do a lot more XC riding.

I kept the 26 for tight single track and for winter rides, because I am a for sh1t handler. The 29 is a beast, and I love it, though...I can pretty much roll over everything.

Where I live, there just isn't a need for a FS...
2013-10-09 9:05 AM
in reply to: mmrocker13

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

I second the idea of buying used. I bought a Giant Anthem FS for $800 last year and it's an awesome bike, has decent components, and weighs 26 lbs (not bad for a FS). 

Where do you live? I think the trails you want to ride would determine the suspension. I live in Colorado and everything around here has rocks - I think I'd get a bit beat up if I rode a hardtail. But if you live somewhere where the trails are pretty buff, then a hardtail would be great.

I'm not sure about your buddy's comment about taking energy to ride the FS. First of all, you can lock out the shock on any decent FS for climbing, so it's essentially a hardtail. Second, you can get a FS that doesn't weigh a ton, especially if you buy something used to make your $ go farther. Third, riding a FS (in my experience), actually requires LESS energy on a technical trail, expecially on the downhill. My husband is currently riding a HT and when we ride rocky stuff he's exhausted by the effort of getting his bike over all the rocks on the trail when climbing - I get up and over stuff a lot easier on my FS.

As for wheel size, 29 is great for rolling over the little stuff and it's getting pretty popular. I've been looking for a used 29er for my tall husband and I'll warn you that at this point, decent 29ers are going for a lot more on CL than similar 26 in bikes - not sure why, or if that'll be the same in your area....

2013-10-09 10:04 AM
in reply to: Stacers

User image

Pro

I bought my son a Trek Mamba when tri season ended......and that's about the last I've seen of that kid. Laughing  It retails for just uhnder $1000.00 but I bought his on sale for 850.00.  I have a really good relationship with my LBS and the guys there raved about it for the price.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/29er-hardtail/trek/mamba/prd_479011_1548crx.aspx

2013-10-09 10:09 AM
in reply to: Stacers

User image

Expert
I'm looking for a MTB to train on over the winter. We have 20+ miles of trails only a few blocks away. There's also a small MTB park. I could go hardtail and my last MTB was a hardtail, but there are some killer MTB parts and trails short drives away that FS are better suited for when going with gravity.

I'm currently thinking endro focused bikes, something with about 150mm travel front and rear and either 29 or 27.5" wheels. We'll see what I end up with. I'm trying to work a deal on local demo bike but really want to try the updated all mountain 27.5' that Lapierre has.Those are not out in the US just yet.
2013-10-09 10:15 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Only you can determine if you need a HT or a FS, what and where you want to ride is going to make most of that decision for you. 

Myself, I only do the climb so I can do the downhill, climbing is just a necessary evil to get to the fun part so FS is a must for me. Can't go bombing down the trail catching air on a HT. Yes my bike is heavy as he!! but it can take a good beating on the downhill and it is geared low so it really isn't that hard to climb with. My rear suspension does not lock out and I can climb just fine, it really comes down to how you have your rear suspension adjusted. My rear shock had to be rebuilt a few summers ago, as it was going it got harder to climb cuz the shock was real squishy. But when properly adjusted it climbs fine. If you get one with a lockout there is no problem at all and you have a much more versatile bike than a HT.

I xwhatever looking for used. Might take a few weeks for something really good to pop up but they are out there. Lots of people get starry eyes in the LBS and buy a bike they never end up using. Mine was about $2,300 retail new FS, hydraulic brakes, good components, very nice bike. I picked it up barely used, not a scratch on it for $850. Well worth the search.

2013-10-09 10:48 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

Master
Memphis, TN
check out bikesdirect.com lots of good bikes and many different price ranges. I'm looking at getting a 29'er hard tail as well.

I have a very crappy 26" that feels like it weights 39 pounds or something that needs replacing.
2013-10-09 12:14 PM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Originally posted by running2far Mountain bike racing is a blast.

Yes! I did 2 mountain bike races this year. Sunday's was a 4 hour enduro, so you had to race as many laps as you could. You had 4.5 hours to complete the laps. Any laps completed afterward didn't count. You couldn't start any laps after 4 hours. Despite getting and fixing a flat on the first lap. I won the solo female 39 and under category. So fun!

2013-10-09 12:18 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Oh my FS doesn't lock out either. Neither the fork or the shock locks. I guess it is too old. However in races I pass a lot of people on the climbs. Cool They pass be back on the downhill though.

2013-10-09 1:21 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
As a side note.  XTERRA is the MOST fun I ever had at a triathlon other than maybe Escape from Alcatraz.  IM is VERY satisfying, but far from "fun" in my book.  But XTERRA is just a hoot from beginning to end for me.
2013-10-09 3:24 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I think the full suspension is the best part of having a mountain bike! 

My husband and I both bought mountain bikes (him a 29er, me the cushier old fashioned variety) from Nashbar.com.  I haven't looked at options lately, but for casual/entry point bikes they have been fine.

2013-10-09 4:43 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
I've rented a 29er FS, and have a 26 FS. The main difference I noticed on the rental was that the 29er isn't as crisp in steering; the larger diameter wheel takes longer to change direction. BUT, it goes over obstacles better, since it has the larger radius.

Agree the need/no need for FS is based on the terrain you're riding. Along those lines, you may also want to consider a cyclocross bike. I picked one up a few weeks ago, lots of fun. Can't go everywhere a mountain bike can go, but it's also a lot lighter, and when you're on the road, it isn't a complete tank.

And CX racing is also a blast!
2013-10-09 6:55 PM
in reply to: tcj103

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by tcj103 I've rented a 29er FS, and have a 26 FS. The main difference I noticed on the rental was that the 29er isn't as crisp in steering; the larger diameter wheel takes longer to change direction. BUT, it goes over obstacles better, since it has the larger radius. Agree the need/no need for FS is based on the terrain you're riding. Along those lines, you may also want to consider a cyclocross bike. I picked one up a few weeks ago, lots of fun. Can't go everywhere a mountain bike can go, but it's also a lot lighter, and when you're on the road, it isn't a complete tank. And CX racing is also a blast!

This isn't usually about the size of the wheel, it's the angle of the headtube.  Well, it's a LITTLE about the size of the wheel, because manufacturers need to slacken the headtube angle a little bit (and also use more of an offset of on the fork) to get the 29er wheel to fit under the downtube.

But yes, some 29ers feel a little sluggish compared to their 26er counterparts.

Should we add 650b into the discussion?   The new "compromise" bike?

2013-10-09 7:18 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Originally posted by moondawg14

Should we add 650b into the discussion?   The new "compromise" bike?

Yes! Pretty sure that my next bike will be a 650b. Will probably wait a year though. No one here rides a 650b?

2013-10-10 5:10 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wow, great advice. I live in upstate NY and in my area mostly groomed trails in the state parks. I have spoken to quite a few people who ride in the area and most think FS is a bit overkill for the area. I understand the lockout features, however I have tested a few and find them to be really squishy. I am thinking that between my size and riding style I would need some heavy duty suspension stuff for reliability and to provide the stiff feeling I prefer. Right now I am leaning toward a front air shock system and hydraulic brakes on a hardtail.
Kevin
2013-10-10 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

Originally posted by Kido As a side note.  XTERRA is the MOST fun I ever had at a triathlon other than maybe Escape from Alcatraz.  IM is VERY satisfying, but far from "fun" in my book.  But XTERRA is just a hoot from beginning to end for me.

x1000000

I got my first MTB almost 6 months ago and fell in love.  I did my first xterra in June and had so much fun.  I wasn't ready for the bike portion to be over. 

Being new to MTB I can't speak much on components or full suspension vs hardtail but I think a lot of it depends on where and what type of riding you plan to do. Where I'm at hardtail is fine. If I were a little further North I would have gone with a full suspension.  Some of the faster more skilled riders in my area suggested to start with a hardtail since it "teaches" you to pick better lines instead of relying on the suspension to compensate for your mistakes.

2013-10-10 7:27 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by chevy57 Wow, great advice. I live in upstate NY and in my area mostly groomed trails in the state parks. I have spoken to quite a few people who ride in the area and most think FS is a bit overkill for the area. I understand the lockout features, however I have tested a few and find them to be really squishy. I am thinking that between my size and riding style I would need some heavy duty suspension stuff for reliability and to provide the stiff feeling I prefer. Right now I am leaning toward a front air shock system and hydraulic brakes on a hardtail. Kevin

At 242 (I've been there, brother) if you got on ANY bike without adding air to the shock, it's going to feel squishy.  I promise.

But you're right, if you really like a stiff rear end(!) a hardtail might be the bike for you.  $1000 is pretty good purchasing power for a good hardtail.   I've ridden a $6000 hardtail (Cannondale Team Bike) and while it was sweet, it wasn't $5k better than your average hardtail!

2013-10-11 7:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I bought a mountain bike last year and chose a 29er hard tail. I was doing an Xterra and a few other mountain bike races, so wanted it to be fast. Full suspension is nice, but from my research you had to spend alot more than $1k to get a good one. The problem with FS is the lower price ones bounce when you pedal and can take away your power.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Thinking of buying a mountain bike Rss Feed  

of 2