Other Resources Challenge Me! » Work your Weakness aka "Hey, Mike, STFU!" Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 53

2013-10-09 9:12 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: Work your Weakness aka "Hey, Mike, STFU!" Challenge

I think we all tend to work our strengths pretty well but put off those things that hurt or things we're not very good at.  By addressing our weaknesses, we can fix problems, learn new things and gain confidence by learning to be outside of our comfort zone--a very helpful thing in triathlon.

The challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to spend some period of time addressing your weakness each day.  I'm kind of imagining this challenge as an ongoing thing that people use when they feel they need it.  You can join any time you have something you want to focus on.  We will start mini sessions every two weeks (if you want to start mid-session, totally g2g, just jump in, if you want to work that thing longer, you can always declare it as your weakness for the next two weeks).

I have picked two week intervals because during the last challenge I started, I noticed that people were really strong for about two weeks, and then many of us (myself included) started to miss days here and there.  "They" say it takes two weeks to develop a habit, so I feel like this is a good place to start.  Obviously you can keep working the same thing for more than two weeks/one mini session if you want.

For those of you who are new to BT or maybe have been on BT for a while but haven't done a challenge, I highly encourage you to try one.  They are a GREAT way to get to know your fellow BTers, and you can learn a ton from the group. A number of people who did the 100d x 10 min = 1 strong core challenge will be in this group, and it is an AWESOME group of very fun, kind, supportive folks.  Btw, the alternative name for our challenge was put forth by Salty to Mike, two core challenge participants;)

First session will start Saturday, October 12th. 

So who's in?  Tell us a bit about yourself and the weakness you'd like to address first :)

2013-10-09 10:12 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Work your Weakness aka "Hey, Mike, STFU!" Challenge

Hi, I'm Mike.  My wife and daughter clearly have spoken to Switch to inspire the title of this challenge.  And in most some cases, it's good advice. Laughing

Anyways, my weaknesses that I will be addressing are:

• Leg and back flexibility
  • Nagging injury-caused weaknesses
  • Muscular balance (or imbalance)

My official "off-season" starts Sunday so I'm taking a few days completely off, then I'm taking about 6-7 weeks to address my limiters.  Most of the plan involves doing Bikram Yoga almost every day, plus stuff like actually doing my PT exercises.

I highly recommend Switch's challenges.  She definitely hounds you mercilessly keeps you on track.  I just finished the dumbest idea of my training life Core Challenge and I have to say, if I ever have to do a plank again I'll die it has made a big difference in my physique and training.

2013-10-09 1:33 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hi, I'm Mike.  My wife and daughter clearly have spoken to Switch to inspire the title of this challenge.  And in most some cases, it's good advice. Laughing

My official "off-season" starts Sunday so I'm taking a few days completely off, then I'm taking about 6-7 weeks to address my limiters.  Most of the plan involves doing Bikram Yoga almost every day, plus stuff like actually doing my PT exercises.

I highly recommend Switch's challenges.  She definitely hounds you mercilessly keeps you on track.  I just finished the dumbest idea of my training life Core Challenge and I have to say, if I ever have to do a plank again I'll die it has made a big difference in my physique and training.

STFU we don't want to hear about your problems Smile

2013-10-09 1:40 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by Asalzwed

To those of you considering whether to join this challenge, I promise Adrienne isn't this mean to everyone.  Cool

2013-10-09 1:41 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Swwwwwwwwwweeeet! (betcha thought I was gonna say Swwwwwitch Tongue out)  Count me in for this!

Name: Amy

Previous Challenge Experience: 100 Days of Core.  Which rocked.

Weakness: Oh, where to begin?  How about flexibility?  Hip and shoulder flexibility, that is where I shall start.

My action plan starts with me attending yoga/pilates fusion on Friday.  I commit to some type of yoga class at least once per week.

2013-10-09 1:41 PM

User image

Seattle

Hello, my name is Adrienne and I am a runner.

I have many, many weaknesses but I will just be addressing some of them, specific to running Smile 

Listed are the weaknesses and what I am going to do to work on them.

Core: A variety of complex exercises such as pull-ups, hanging leg lifts, inverted crunches with weight

Quads: Step-Ups, Step-Downs and hill work

Hip Flexors: Supine Single Leg Lifts

2013-10-09 1:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Edit:

I liked Amy's format, so I'm stealing it.

Name: Matt

Previous Challenge Experience: September Swim vs. Bike. vs Run Challenge!!September Running Challenge!

Weakness: Running

Since my current training lines up with this challenge, I'm working on my run (the leg I consistently place lower in overall than the other two legs).  This Saturday is a Half Marathon to see where my running is, so let's get this started!

Edited by msteiner 2013-10-09 1:45 PM
2013-10-09 1:43 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

hahaha perfect. Mike, I hope you're fully prepared for the abuse you're about to take--there is no "off season" from your BT harassment
2013-10-09 1:45 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by msteinerSince my current training lines up with this challenge, I'm working on my run (the leg I consistently place lower in overall than the other two legs).  This Saturday is a Half Marathon to see where my running is, so let's get this started!
Nice... Matt in da hizzous!
2013-10-09 1:49 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by noelle1230

Swwwwwwwwwweeeet! (betcha thought I was gonna say Swwwwwitch Tongue out)  Count me in for this!

Name: Amy

Previous Challenge Experience: 100 Days of Core.  Which rocked.

Weakness: Oh, where to begin?  How about flexibility?  Hip and shoulder flexibility, that is where I shall start.

My action plan starts with me attending yoga/pilates fusion on Friday.  I commit to some type of yoga class at least once per week.

Yes!!! Ok, so I'm gonna send you some studies about improving flexibility, but the short version is a little bit each day seems to be the way to go. Any chance you can sneak a little bit in every day? Ah, yes, let the nagging begin
2013-10-09 1:51 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I have many, many weaknesses but I will just be addressing some of them, specific to running Smile 

Core: A variety of complex exercises such as pull-ups, hanging leg lifts, inverted crunches with weight

Hey, Salty, how does Snoop get his whites so white?

2013-10-09 1:58 PM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by switch

Do tell...

2013-10-09 2:02 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Do tell...

Bleotch!
2013-10-09 2:14 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by switch Yes!!! Ok, so I'm gonna send you some studies about improving flexibility, but the short version is a little bit each day seems to be the way to go. Any chance you can sneak a little bit in every day? Ah, yes, let the nagging begin

If challenge master Switch says to do a little every day, I will do a little every day!

2013-10-09 2:14 PM

User image

Seattle

Do tell...

Bleotch!

Shoulda seen that one comin'!

Speaking of bleeeeoootch... actually, I will take this to another forum so as to not taint this one. 

2013-10-09 2:18 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by switch Yes!!! Ok, so I'm gonna send you some studies about improving flexibility, but the short version is a little bit each day seems to be the way to go. Any chance you can sneak a little bit in every day? Ah, yes, let the nagging begin

If challenge master Switch says to do a little every day, I will do a little every day!

"Challenge Master" is a much kinder moniker than the one I gave myself.  I thank thee. 

You're so good about doing stuff every day.  I think you'll see nice returns on this

2013-10-09 4:31 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I'm in for another round.

My name is Steve and my biggest weakness (and what I've focused on for the last six months) is my tri running times within my age group relative to swim/bike.  I come from a long, long running background but since I got back into tri's about 5 years ago I have been plagued by injury and while I've risen through FOMOP and am nipping at the heels of FOP in swim/bike my runs have been very disappointing. I've made huge progress in the past months and both the Running Challenge and studying JD's book have given me purpose and focus in my running training.  I'm currently involved in taking down the Ghoulies so have some volume goals I'm also working on.

Specifically for this challenge, I want to sharpen the tip of the sword.  I've had a pretty good phase of base and want to focus now on further introducing some quality into my workouts.  In about four weeks, I have the first of four 5k's and a 10k within a relatively short period of time.  My weakness has been fading in the last mile.  This challenge is going to address that and result in smashing my over 40 5k PR.

On a lighter note, my son who just turned 8 wants to run his first 5k this weekend and I told him I'd sign him up and run with him.  He's super excited after being around my dozens of races.  He wanted to know if he'd get a t-shirt and a number.  And very seriously asked me, "Daddy,...,how do you think I'll do in my age group?"  Brought a tear to this pops eye.

As an after thought, I wonder if this isn't too broad of a weakness as I see the challenge is kind of a daily new thing to work on.  Are there more specific aspects of my goal that might work into this better?  Daily strides or something of that nature? 

Edited by popsracer 2013-10-09 4:45 PM
2013-10-09 7:13 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
I am in.

I'm back to base training and during this part of the year have a tendency to neglect multiple workouts because it's 'only base training'.
Since I'm not planning another IM next year (although I do have permission from my DW) , I fear I'll do even less. My weakness is giving
in to my time pressures and not 'getting it done'.

This challenge will hold me accountable to the group to get my training in.

I liked Amy's(and Matt's) format, so I'm stealing it also...

-----------------------------

Name: Dale

Occupation: Overworked citizen, patient advocate and troublemaker on the message boards

Previous Challenge Experience: None

Weakness: Too Many to List...

------------------------------

Ran tonight, finishing in the dark, but treated to a magnificient sunset! Had to go with the pager and phone since I'm on call, but I was not bothered
at all during the run. Gonna have to wear something a bit brighter or with flashing lights as the cars did not see me very well...Did the first 2 at recovery and then pushed the breathing up to my 2:2 (which is ~45 breaths/minute and 90 steps w each leg--probably not correctly called 2 to 2, since I just count 'one-two' and I take a step with each leg and breathe in, then count 'one-two' as I breathe out and take one more step w each leg)...Last 3 at 'easy' pace.

One in a row.

Edited by dtoce 2013-10-09 7:16 PM
2013-10-09 8:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I'm in!

I'm Nicole -- been at this tri stuff for a little over a year now.  I don't necessarily need a challenge to be motivated, but you guys always seem to have so much fun, so I thought I'd give it a try!

Running is my biggest weakness, so I'd like to work on that.  Unfortunately, I seem to be rather fragile, so my plan is to do Z2 runs five times a week and slowly build up my weekly volume.

Also, my VO2max power is somewhat weak in relation to my FTP, so this is another weakness I plan to work on with a minimum of two VO2max rides a week. 

2013-10-10 11:03 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Welcome Dale and Nicole!

I have been thinking more about this challenge and how it can be most successful.  I would like to encourage everyone to check in with the group each day (if possible), and to tell us what you have done that day to work on your weakness.  Some days it might be reading, some days it might be something physical or actual training, it may even just be spending time thinking about something, but tell us about how you're addressing your weakness each day.

My weakness for the first two week increment is going to be my leg injury.  I am going to be very focused on getting it healthy and, hopefully, easing back into some running. 

2013-10-10 11:26 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
I'll play next.  My focus over the upcoming two weeks is to mash a 5K on Saturday, and then full-on rest for a few days.  Like Switch, I have some nagging injuries that need to get their act together so I'll start working on them as well as my flexibility issues.  I started today with really focusing on the stretching poses in my Bikram Yoga class, and taking it easy on the strength or balance ones.

2013-10-10 11:37 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Welcome Dale and Nicole!

I have been thinking more about this challenge and how it can be most successful.  I would like to encourage everyone to check in with the group each day (if possible), and to tell us what you have done that day to work on your weakness.  Some days it might be reading, some days it might be something physical or actual training, it may even just be spending time thinking about something, but tell us about how you're addressing your weakness each day.

My weakness for the first two week increment is going to be my leg injury.  I am going to be very focused on getting it healthy and, hopefully, easing back into some running. 

Excellent, I love it.  This will encourage us to do be accountable to do SOMETHING daily, even it's just gaining more info on how to improve our designated weakness.

Where's Brad???  That guy is the king of daily check-ins.

2013-10-10 12:24 PM

User image

Seattle

I did my core routine this morning. Pull-ups, planks and inverted crunches with 16 lb. I also did my abductor exercises.

My left hip flexor has been a little sore so I think I will hold off on the strength exercises for that...

I've got a couple races this weekend and one the following weekend, so I don't want to add anything new until after those.

My coworkers want me to go bouldering with them but I know with that sport you are pretty much using your muscles to failure (not to mention I haven't been in quite some time) so I may have to also wait until after my races for that, too.

2013-10-10 12:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I know the challenge hasn't officially started yet, but I did a trainer ride this morning with 4x 4min VO2max intervals -- and am in the midst of a power discussion in one of the mentor groups.

Will also be getting in a short run tonight after work.  Weather has been so nice here the past couple days....I just know it isn't going to last much longer, but might as well reap the benefits while I can.  My dogs appreciate it too

2013-10-10 12:37 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

Welcome Dale and Nicole!

Excellent, I love it.  This will encourage us to do be accountable to do SOMETHING daily, even it's just gaining more info on how to improve our designated weakness.

Where's Brad???  That guy is the king of daily check-ins.

I've been contemplating...I am not 100% sure what to do here. I'm *already* focusing on running, since it is by far my biggest weakness in a race. I would like to find a way to concentrate on lessening foot pain, which would also likely help my running.

Maybe I'll start Saturday with 10 minutes of dedicated stretching and/or foam rolling every day for the first two weeks.
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Work your Weakness aka "Hey, Mike, STFU!" Challenge Rss Feed  

of 53

RELATED POSTS

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XVIII) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 35193 Posts: 1084

2008-06-03 8:15 PM lastcall2003

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XVII) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 35095 Posts: 957

2008-05-20 8:51 PM lastcall2003

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XVI) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 33997 Posts: 1003

2008-05-08 9:14 PM lastcall2003

Challenge Chat (aka Nibbs XV) - come join us :) Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 35563 Posts: 1005

2008-04-27 6:23 PM lastcall2003

The Mike Ricci July Challenge Pages: 1 2 3

Started by vortmax
Views: 5529 Posts: 61

2006-08-02 3:35 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 17, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
It sounds like you have a very common condition that many runners and triathletes experience called patello-femoral pain syndrome. We have seen that runners with core weakness experience this.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : March 21, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
March BeginnerTriathlete of the Month Interview with Mike Ricci

date : June 4, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 2
One year ago I weighed 238 lbs. and got winded walking up one flight of stairs - literally. I ran across a brochure for a triathlon...hmm. It seemed like an impossible task, but I was intrigued.
date : May 16, 2005
author : infosteward
"After accepting the job, I asked Bill to put on my desk the entire major concerns that needed to be addressed immediately upon my arrival. I wanted the toughest challenges he could give me."

date : April 17, 2005
author : Team BT
How to be a BOPer or MOPer in a FOPer world. As a middle of the pack athlete, I have adopted some things I do to assure a victorious feeling at every event I finish.
date : January 30, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you turn a weakness into strength? It begins with effecting a fundamental change to your triathlete self-image.

date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!