General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hoka One One - please school me Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-09 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: Hoka One One - please school me
I checked out a pair of Hoka One One shoes at a recent expo and now have drank the cool aid but need some information. So I am a low to medium pronator and usually use a moderate support shoe for most of my training (currently running in Mizuno wave prophecy). I would use these new shoes for only road running, no trails. From what I can gather the Bondi 2 is probably what I need, but how much support does this shoe have?

2013-10-09 10:25 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Hoka One One - please school me

Originally posted by Oysterboy I checked out a pair of Hoka One One shoes at a recent expo and now have drank the cool aid but need some information. So I am a low to medium pronator and usually use a moderate support shoe for most of my training (currently running in Mizuno wave prophecy). I would use these new shoes for only road running, no trails. From what I can gather the Bondi 2 is probably what I need, but how much support does this shoe have?

I like the descriptions from running warehouse:

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-HOBBM3.html 

2013-10-09 11:04 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Champion
Calgary
Personally, I feel like the shoe has less support than your average trainer. Although it feels like it has much more support. By support I am referring mostly to the ability to run on slanted surfaces or to make a tight turn. I find my feet have to work a lot harder in that situation than with say my old NB 1060s.
2013-10-09 11:50 AM
in reply to: BigDH

Ardmore
Originally posted by BigDH
By support I am referring mostly to the ability to run on slanted surfaces or to make a tight turn.

I have a pair and find this an issue as well. I typically run in the street and with the slight grade in the blacktop for water run off, it feels as though I'm not as 'planted' as I could be.

I'm not 100% sold on mine just yet. I may go back to Saucony in the future.

junr
2013-10-09 12:49 PM
in reply to: junr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
My right ankle tends to roll in, and it seems to be worse in the Hokas.
2013-10-09 1:44 PM

User image

Waldwick
I just bought a pair of the Bondi B, first run was a 5k race this past Sunday, I PR'd the 5k (23:58).
Just got home from my second time out on the new Hoka's and my left calf locked up at mile 1.5 and ended up walking home with unsuccessful attempts at stretching and loosening the knot.
Now I know there may be other factors to this issue....
*running facing traffic so left leg was lower into the "pitch" of the road
*cooler out today then its been sometime
*lack of stretching, (though I almost never stretch before running)
but I contribute it to the NEW shoes and the elevated heel, which I feel changed my running style a bit.
I had this issue with another new shoe, I just can't seem to get away from my older running shoes (nike)
The strain is bad enough that I know I won't be able to run for a few days before this heals and loosens.
Anyone wanna buy brand new Hoka Bondi B mens size10.5? (retail $160 sell $100)

2013-10-09 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by Oysterboy

So I am a low to medium pronator and usually use a moderate support shoe for most of my training (currently running in Mizuno wave prophecy). I would use these new shoes for only road running, no trails. From what I can gather the Bondi 2 is probably what I need, but how much support does this shoe have?

What's interesting is I looked up mizuno wave prophecy 2, and it was rated as a Neutral shoe.

The Bondi B is a Neutral rated shoe as well. Basically both of these shoes are not for pronation support.

I normally get support shoes, in the past Saucony Mirage, Asics Adrenaline, etc. But I do enjoy my Bondi B's. I also have the Stinson (Trail) and Bondi Speed models.

Now, the Hoka's are not a support shoe for pronation. If you have weak arches, you will still sink into the foam and your foot will be unsupported.
It just depends on your ability to correct (mid foot strike helps), and how bad your pronation is.

I also believe that the foot does strengthen given proper conditioning, and can over come pronation by combining technique with strength.

Pronation control is a way to control the problem but really does nothing to solve it when you take away the support (ie. bare foot).

Since you are already running in Neutral shoes, the Hoka's should feel ok. Remember the extra cushioning will seem funny at first and you will need to adjust your running style a bit to get used to them.

Overall I love my Hoka's but they are not my sole running shoe. I still use my Mirages, and other shoes when required. The main benefit is protecting my feet from the stresses of running lots of miles, giving me quicker recovery and less trauma.
2013-10-09 4:19 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Because of the construction of the prophecy they are a bit on the minimal support end than a pure neutral shoe. I find I need the support on longer runs > 5 mi. For 5 Ks I wear minimalist shoes as I like the light weight.
2013-10-09 4:27 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by Oysterboy

Because of the construction of the prophecy they are a bit on the minimal support end than a pure neutral shoe. I find I need the support on longer runs > 5 mi. For 5 Ks I wear minimalist shoes as I like the light weight.

I normally would need support on long runs too but for some reason the Hoka's don't bother my poor arches, as a normal shoe would.
I've done IM in them..
2013-10-09 6:01 PM
in reply to: boomer2it

User image

Pro

Originally posted by boomer2it  Anyone wanna buy brand new Hoka Bondi B mens size10.5? (retail $160 sell $100)

Seriously, someone will buy them for $100. (I would if they were women's 8!)

Oysterboy - worth a try, in my opinion. Your body might love them... and if not, resale on lightly used one is pretty good

2013-10-10 1:44 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Regular
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by boomer2it Anyone wanna buy brand new Hoka Bondi B mens size10.5? (retail $160 sell $100)

Seriously, someone will buy them for $100. (I would if they were women's 8!)

Oysterboy - worth a try, in my opinion. Your body might love them... and if not, resale on lightly used one is pretty good

Hoka has a 30 (maybe 60) day retun policy. Yes, Hokas are neutral shoes with minimal heel drop. I've been running in my bondi speeds ans stinson evo for over a year. Previously used Asic DS Trainers and Racer, now solely use Hokas.

2013-10-10 6:45 AM
in reply to: boomer2it

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by boomer2it

I just bought a pair of the Bondi B, first run was a 5k race this past Sunday, I PR'd the 5k (23:58).
Just got home from my second time out on the new Hoka's and my left calf locked up at mile 1.5 and ended up walking home with unsuccessful attempts at stretching and loosening the knot.
Now I know there may be other factors to this issue....
*running facing traffic so left leg was lower into the "pitch" of the road
*cooler out today then its been sometime
*lack of stretching, (though I almost never stretch before running)
but I contribute it to the NEW shoes and the elevated heel, which I feel changed my running style a bit.
I had this issue with another new shoe, I just can't seem to get away from my older running shoes (nike)
The strain is bad enough that I know I won't be able to run for a few days before this heals and loosens.
Anyone wanna buy brand new Hoka Bondi B mens size10.5? (retail $160 sell $100)

Are you use to running in a low drop shoe. If not racing s 5k as your first run ever in them might be the problem. I slowly built up mileage in my Hoka's because I was not use to running in low drop shoes and just going balls to the wall in them right out of the box you are asking for achilles or calf problems.
2013-10-10 7:48 AM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Waldwick
I will look into the return policy option.
I have been running and training in my Nike Lunarglide 3 for about 2 years now. This is the third time I have bought and tried a new pair of shoes to replace them, thinking I found "The Pair", only to have the same calf lock up. I even bought the Lunarglide 4 and they were not as comfortable or supportive as the 3's, (4 has a little less cushion at the front of the shoe then the 3, and my left foot was able to feel the difference)
The 5k race felt great PR'd and no issues or pain. Went for a casual training run 3 days after race (yesterday) and the calf locked up. I am sure its not just the shoes that caused the problem, but its kinda odd that this happens when I try a new pair of shoes. Guess I will have to run my Lunarglides until they fall apart.
Calf feeling a little better today and hopefully a nice little country run up in Cooperstown this weekend.
Boomer
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hoka One One - please school me Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I'm loving me some Hoka One One's Pages: 1 2

Started by EKH
Views: 7051 Posts: 44

2014-03-31 8:16 AM Meathead

Anyone familiar with HOKA One One shoes

Started by dsand97
Views: 3575 Posts: 8

2012-12-13 9:48 AM BigDH

one o one halifax

Started by JungleJim
Views: 745 Posts: 2

2007-07-18 2:44 PM Bill

Triathlon One-O-One already in trouble?

Started by cobannero
Views: 1427 Posts: 5

2007-04-18 6:33 AM RedCorvette

Anyone doing one 0 one triathlon????

Started by BADNEWSC
Views: 1230 Posts: 6

2007-02-05 9:12 AM gsmacleod
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : April 21, 2008
author : mikericci
Do you have jerky one leg drills? Learn about this drill along with several tips and workouts to start improving your pedaling technique.
date : October 11, 2007
comments : 1
Is one month enough time to recover from my first marathon to go and do my first olympic tri? My alternative options are to do the 1/2 marathon and then do the olympic.

date : September 14, 2007
author : Team BT
Squats with one toe on bosu stability ball exercise with picture and video.
date : September 11, 2007
Bosu ball squats with one leg on the floor stability exercise with picture and video.

date : June 27, 2006
comments : 2
One Leg Squat-Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 23, 2006
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
The one-arm drill. This drill will help you with body rotation, breathing, and pull. It also isolates one arm so you can really concentrate on what that arm is doing through the whole stroke cycle.