General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf & Turf Aquathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Surf & Turf Aquathon - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Denver, CO
D3 Multisport
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 55m 55s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Actually showed up early for a change, set-up transition and talked with Julia, Stacie, Mark and Adam. Checked in and started to get ready, wondering if the swim was going to be held at all since it was windy, overcast, and there was lightning in the foothills.
Event warmup:

Adam and I went for about a mile run doing dynamic stretching and then just jogging at an easy pace. It started raining a little bit during the run, and then once we got back the wind really picked up and the start was delayed so we sat in the car for a while. Got out of the car and everyone was waiting to see if the swim was even going to be held. The water was incredibly choppy so I think half the people probably didn't really want it to be held at all. Finally it was on and I got in the water with no warm-up.
Swim
  • 32m 50s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not sure what to say about the swim other than if I ever get stranded on an island and need to swim to another one a mile away through ridiculous waves, I can probably make it. You'd literally feel yourself bouncing up and down through the waves and then get met with a face full of water making breathing a little tough. I actually stayed surprisingly calm and went at a grandma's pace since I knew from the start this wasn't about setting a good time. The way back in was nice and then I got up, talked to Ricci briefly at the turn around and went back out. On the second lap out I had this strange feeling that I was only 20 yards from shore swimming in place and everybody on shore was laughing at me. I felt like I was going nowhere so I started breathing on my left so I could see land and be reassured that I was actually moving. Got out of the water and my watch said 32'50" so that's probably better than I expected. The swim was more of a mental challenge than anything and given that I'm a relatively poor swimmer, it ended up being a good confidence builder knowing I can get through it in awful conditions.
What would you do differently?:

I need to increase my turnover on my stroke, but that's something to work on over time. That was AJ's advice before the race when I asked how to swim in that crap. He said forget about form and finishing the stroke. Just turnover. It was also Mike's comment after the race. Guess I should actually start practicing it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

I was in no hurry at all in transition and took my sweet 'ol time taking off my wetsuit. I put on my socks and shoes and headed out.

Nothing.
Run
  • 21m 54s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out with the thought of going easy in a middle type effort, which I did. A girl passed me about a half mile into the run and she was breathing pretty heavily. Since the wind was right in our face, I picked up my pace slightly and stayed right behind her. Her pace was fine and steady and I figured I'd hold it there. Breathing was easy and I think I talked to about everyone I passed (that I knew). At the turn around I stopped, drank some water and then started again. I picked up my pace slightly and passed the girl. I thought she'd stay on my heels this time and let me pace her back, but I think she didn't have as much left from the first half. I felt really good so I picked it up a little and moved by people, eventually catching Wright. We talked for a few and then I moved in front of him. With about 30-40 yards left I heard Wright pick up his speed so I figured I'd do a final kick as well and stayed in front of him. I'm fairly surprised at the pace since I felt like I went out ridiculously slow and was never in a lot of pain on this run.

I thanked and apologized to the girl that paced me for the first half. She didn't really care and said she should have just stayed behind me on the first half, which she's right - she should have.

Nothing. That's how I planned to run it and it went well.
Post race
Warm down:

Beers and stories with everyone, which is always a good time. Too bad it wasn't slightly warmer though.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Waves!

Event comments:

Not starting on time was only due to the weather. I'm glad that the swim was held. I think from a non-competitive standpoint, this race was probably the most fun one yet and I had a really good time doing it in the crappy conditions.

Last updated: 2006-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:50 | 1500 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: ProMotion Sleeveless
Course: 2 loops out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time:  01:09
Overall: Average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Average
Running
00:21:54 | 03.1 miles | 07m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on gravel/dirt road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-27 10:42 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Surf & Turf Aquathon

2006-07-27 11:11 AM
in reply to: #494844

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Surf & Turf Aquathon
Kick butt race!  As I told Gearwhore...training in rough conditions is good for you!
2006-07-27 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Nice work and good pace for a run where you really weren't pushing all that hard.
2006-07-27 11:29 AM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)

holy crap, well if your time was 32 in the water then maybe, just MAYBE i would've made it an hour?? ha ha! sounded like fun out there and it's always great to know you can save yourself if you're stranded on an island a mile away from anywhere else.

and great run, too! good to hear that you were surprised at your pace when you felt a bit slow in the beginning

2006-07-27 1:47 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
Nice race last night!!  BTW I think someone said that they were all standing on shore laughing at you   Nice run though.  That wind stunk on the first mile, but like, you I FLEW home!!
2006-07-27 1:48 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Nice work on the run and the nasty swim!  It was hard but you got though it!

2006-07-27 4:53 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado
I am going to have to make that run LONGER. No way can I advertise it as the TOUGHEST RACE in CO and have people say they ran 7:04/mile at an easy pace into a 40MPH headwind. Note to self: extend run next race!
2006-07-27 10:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, Colorado
I think the concensus from the shore was who is crazy enough to swim 750 in these conditions much less 1500.  Great race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf & Turf Aquathon Rss Feed