General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Info on the Trails at Pontiac Lake? (HM This Weekend) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-10 5:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Subject: Info on the Trails at Pontiac Lake? (HM This Weekend)
There is a small trail 1/2 this weekend I've signed up for and there is very little info online about the trails (no map, elevation chart, etc). Does anyoe have info on the trails; hills, single track width, current conditions, etc? I'm really not trained for a half at this time, but I could not pass up a fall trail 1/2 so close to home. If it helps to describe the trails, I am very familiar with Potto from the Trail & & DWD, Stony for trail training in general and Bald Mtn & Highland Rec from the Stay in the Shade events. TIA for any info!!

2013-10-10 10:22 AM
in reply to: AeroBaldness

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Info on the Trails at Pontiac Lake? (HM This Weekend)
I used to mountain bike at PLRA on a regular basis. The MMBA.org website has a message board specifically on pontiac lake. It will allow you to get info on current conditions. It is primary a single track with a fair number of hills. Here is a map link:

http://www.michigandnr.com/Publications/PDFS/RecreationCamping/pont...

Here is a link to a strava segment showing the trail and the elevations:

http://www.strava.com/segments/759206

2013-10-11 7:15 AM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Originally posted by trisuppo

I used to mountain bike at PLRA on a regular basis. The MMBA.org website has a message board specifically on pontiac lake. It will allow you to get info on current conditions. It is primary a single track with a fair number of hills. Here is a map link:

Thanks!!! I didn't expect an elevation profile like that. Looks like a heart rate run for me on Sunday.
2013-10-11 8:26 AM
in reply to: AeroBaldness

User image

Master
Originally posted by AeroBaldness

Originally posted by trisuppo

Thanks!!! I didn't expect an elevation profile like that. Looks like a heart rate run for me on Sunday.

Yep - there are some good hills. I paced a friend on the Peace Love Woodstock 50 miler a few years ago, that was out near Hell MI. The elevation changes are similar to those trails.
2013-10-22 7:20 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Expert
Aerobaldness, sorry I just saw this post! That trail is a mile from my lake house! I LOVE it, but it's tough. I hope you had a blast! I might do this one next year!!!
2013-10-23 11:39 AM
in reply to: TrishM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Originally posted by TrishM

Aerobaldness, sorry I just saw this post! That trail is a mile from my lake house! I LOVE it, but it's tough. I hope you had a blast! I might do this one next year!!!

Hey Trish!! First off, this was a great event. Very small; 63 started, 58 finished. I have never heard of Fast Dog timing, the race organizer, but would do one of their events in a heartbeat. You ain't kidding about tough. Had the trail been clear of downed leaves, it would have been tough. Add in the covered obstacles, and WOW. Saw 3 bad injuries along the way and grubbed myself with about a mile and a half to go and jacked up my entire left side. Nothing broken, but I look I I got beat with a bat on my hip and knee. Just about healed now and took some needed time off. I had never run there before and wish it was closer to home as a fun switch from Stony and Potto. I really hope they make this an annual event. There are not enough late fall dirt events and it was awesome to get a 1/2 distance trail event in this late in the season.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Info on the Trails at Pontiac Lake? (HM This Weekend) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone Run Potto Recently (Trail Weekend)

Started by AeroBaldness
Views: 818 Posts: 5

2013-04-24 5:00 AM maverickbassets

Pontiac Lake X-Tri?

Started by SkierDan
Views: 898 Posts: 3

2010-07-21 7:20 PM cafeldmann

Pontiac Lake?

Started by Sarah Demerly
Views: 1587 Posts: 25

2008-09-12 8:21 AM cdmurk

Jewelry Found at Pontiac Lake/Mich Tri Championship

Started by rottieguy
Views: 685 Posts: 1

2007-11-30 4:22 AM rottieguy

Pontiac Lake Ride & Holly Ride/Run this Friday ???

Started by dayooper951
Views: 659 Posts: 3

2007-08-26 8:07 PM dayooper951
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.

date : October 7, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
Learn how to top off your muscles with energy during your race weekend taper! Carbo-load correctly and alleviate the possibility of GI distress by choosing the correct foods and when to eat them.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle