Twin Cities in Motion
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 31m 27s
Overall Rank = 1224/8852
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 185/815
Pre-race routine:

Drove up from Cedar Falls Saturday afternoon, and boy those 12 miles of construction on I-35 seemed to take an eternity. I took care of packet pickup, and saw that there was a Hoka One One booth at the expo. I've been wanting to try on a pair of these for a while now, and living in a smaller town I haven't had the chance yet. I liked them well enough and they were pretty cheap compared to prices I've typically seen, so I bought a pair to try. Didn't wear them in this race though. After packet pickup, we checked into the hotel near Mall of America, and went to grab dinner at the Rainforest Cafe, followed of course by the VOLCANO! for desert ;)

Pretty much just relaxed and watched college football until bed. My Buckeyes nearly gave me an aneurysm against Northwestern though. Plus I was up later than planned but oh well. Based on (lack of) training and many many injuries this year, this was more just for fun.

Up at 5:30, and the wife dropped me off at the light rail station for the ride into Minneapolis. Pretty much just sat in the Metrodome until 15 min. before the start.
Event warmup:

No warmup.
Run
  • 3h 31m 27s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good in the first couple miles, just stayed around a 7:45/mi pace which felt comfortable at that point. Around mile 4 my right hip tightened up bad (like it has in every *#@$ race this year!), to the point I had to stop and stretch it. It pretty much limited me the rest of the day, it really affects my form. I enjoyed the day though, the corse really is nice and spectator support was just awesome! I kept clipping off 7:45's until around mile 24, when the tightness in my hip caused me to stop and stretch for a significant amount of time, and I was run-walking it the rest of the way. I had the course being a good bit long but who knows?
What would you do differently?:

Not too much, pretty much got the most out of the body I have now that I could.
Post race
Warm down:

Just grabbed my medal and shirt, changed, and we headed to the car to head home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injuries, lack of training due to said injuries.

Event comments:

Great spectator support and great volunteers! Definitely had a great time out there!

Last updated: 2013-05-09 12:00 AM
Running
03:31:27 | 26.2 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 185/815
Overall: 1224/8852
Performance: Average
Course: Pretty nice point-to-point from downtown Minneapolis to downtown St. Paul. Very scenic, especially around the lakes. Mostly flat, just a few hills that were not all the difficult. The pavement on a number of the roads SUCKED. Really have to watch to not turn an ankle.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-10-10 12:09 PM

User image

Regular
Waterloo
Subject: Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon

Started by mlnelson
Views: 1406 Posts: 1

2009-10-05 3:58 AM mlnelson

Started by mndiver
Views: 2275 Posts: 11

2009-10-07 7:33 AM djdavey

Started by rabkaman
Views: 2369 Posts: 11

2008-10-09 10:59 AM UTTriman

Started by Johnny Bee
Views: 1836 Posts: 5

2007-10-09 9:53 AM shawn barr

Started by eklktk1
Views: 1483 Posts: 2

2006-10-21 2:23 PM ejc999
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : November 14, 2004
author : malvey
comments : 1
How a father and son went from zero to marathon and had the experience of a lifetime!
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle

date : August 30, 2004
Glassy waters greeted the nearly 600 participants for the quarter-mile swim. The 15.5-bike ride followed a beautiful course around the lake with the 5k run winding through a quiet residential area