General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Mass Swim Start Seeding Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-10 1:00 PM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: IM Mass Swim Start Seeding
I'm sure this question has been asked multiple times so sorry in advance.

My first IM (IMAZ) is almost a month away and they just released the athletes guide. They are keeping the mass swim start which I'm excited about. That said, I've never done an OWS with 2,800 other swimmers so I'm a little confused on where to seed myself prior to the start.

I'm a fairly decent swimmer and don't mind OWS. I will most likely be out of the water before the 1:10 mark and am wondering where other similar swimmers have seeded themselves for a mass start? I don't want to get swum over but I also don't want to have to swim around packs of slower swimmers. Quite the predicament but I'm sure it's a common one!

2013-10-10 1:08 PM
in reply to: devilfan02

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: IM Mass Swim Start Seeding
I'm a 1:03-:05 guy and sit in the front or second row, but I've only done IMOO which as an enormous width to start from.

I would go 5th or so row....I always ask people around what they're going to swim and then assuming they lie by a few mins.
2013-10-10 3:26 PM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by running2far

I'm a 1:03-:05 guy and sit in the front or second row, but I've only done IMOO which as an enormous width to start from.

I would go 5th or so row....I always ask people around what they're going to swim and then assuming they lie by a few mins.

Good stuff - thx!
2013-10-10 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
I swam a 1:10 in Lake Placid last year.

I "accidentally" found myself about 4 rows back from the flags and about four rows over from the buoy line. Realizing I was kinda stuck there, I panicked a bit then decided "Ah, what the heck...I'm a decent swimmer ~ go for it!". I'm glad I did because of all 5 of my IM swims (3 mass starts), I felt like that was my best starting position.

Good luck in Arizona!
2013-10-11 5:02 AM

User image

Regular
In my experience, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, unless your thinking of waiting at the back for everyone to go.

If you have a short run to the water from the shore you will most likely not be in the position you started in by the time you start swimming.
Where ever you go you will have people trying to swim over you and you will be getting backed up behind others.
What ever position you find yourself in just stick at it have take the assurence that the longer the swim goes on for, the more space you will have.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Mass Swim Start Seeding Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The mass swim start

Started by 98hogbay
Views: 2910 Posts: 11

2009-11-18 3:35 PM steveseer

Let's talk about mass swim starts

Started by irondreams
Views: 866 Posts: 4

2009-07-31 1:12 PM marq

IM Arizona swim start

Started by tridaddy
Views: 1940 Posts: 14

2008-03-14 2:50 PM Q

Mass Swim Start

Started by MForger18
Views: 1606 Posts: 20

2007-02-01 8:39 AM brian

IM LP 2006 song playing at swim start?

Started by CerveloP2K
Views: 908 Posts: 5

2006-08-27 3:13 PM CerveloP2K
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
If you ask beginning triathletes what they fear most, a standard response usually includes some reference to mass swim starts and bike crashes.

date : December 18, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Want to add a nice crunch, along with vitamins and minerals, to your sports diet? This article goes over the uses of flax, chia, sunflower, hemp and sesame seeds along with several grains.
date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?

date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.
date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Abitaman #3 swim triathlon wallpaper provided by tri_it_cajun_style.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.
date : October 2, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
The start for everyone is a crazy cluster of splashing. Here are some tips to deal with what some consider being the toughest part of any triathlon.

date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.