General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Raleigh : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-06-02 3:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Raleigh : Official Thread

Originally posted by slaterson19 5:19. I blew up on the second run loop. The out was pretty much all uphill. My legs started locking up and I wanted to walk or pass out in a ditch so badly.
Nice. 5:23:53 and I blew up when I hit the headwind on 64. And everywhere thereafter. But I took my wetsuit this year 75.4 temp called about 4:20 Sunday morning.  Also, is everyone aware of position rules in triathlon? As in: Position Rules: a. Absolutely NO DRAFTING of another bike or any other vehicle is allowed. b. Athletes must keep 7 meters (4 bike lengths) distance between bikes except when passing. Failure to do so will result in a drafting violation. c. A pass occurs when the overtaking athlete’s front wheel passes the leading edge of the athlete being overtaken. d. Overtaking Athletes may pass on the left for up to 20 seconds, but must move back to the right side of the road, after passing. Failure to complete a pass within 20 seconds will result in a drafting violation. Athletes may not back out of the 7 meter draft zone once it is entered (drafting violation). e. Overtaken athletes must immediately fall back 7 meters (4 bike lengths) before attempting to regain the lead from a front running bike. Immediately re-passing prior to falling back 7 meters will result in an overtaken violation. f. Overtaken Athletes who remain within 7 meters (4 bike lengths) for more than 20 seconds will be given a drafting violation. g. Athletes must ride single file on the far right side of the road except when passing another rider, or for reasons of safety. Side-by-side riding is not allowed and will result in a position violation. h. Athletes who impede the forward progress of other athletes will be given a blocking violation. Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman-70.3/world... It appears not based on what I saw yesterday. It was ridiculous.

2014-06-02 3:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
Originally posted by fgump

Originally posted by slaterson19

5:19. I blew up on the second run loop. The out was pretty much all uphill. My legs started locking up and I wanted to walk or pass out in a ditch so badly.
Nice. 5:23:53 and I blew up when I hit the headwind on 64. And everywhere thereafter. But I took my wetsuit this year 75.4 temp called about 4:20 Sunday morning.

Also, is everyone aware of position rules in triathlon? As in:
Position Rules:
a. Absolutely NO DRAFTING of another bike or any other vehicle is allowed.
b. Athletes must keep 7 meters (4 bike lengths) distance between bikes except when passing. Failure to do so will result in a drafting violation.
c. A pass occurs when the overtaking athlete’s front wheel passes the leading edge of the athlete being overtaken.
d. Overtaking Athletes may pass on the left for up to 20 seconds, but must move back to the right side of the road, after passing. Failure to complete a pass within 20 seconds will result in a drafting violation. Athletes may not back out of the 7 meter draft zone once it is entered (drafting violation).
e. Overtaken athletes must immediately fall back 7 meters (4 bike lengths) before attempting to regain the lead from a front running bike. Immediately re-passing prior to falling back 7 meters will result in an overtaken violation.
f. Overtaken Athletes who remain within 7 meters (4 bike lengths) for more than 20 seconds will be given a drafting violation.
g. Athletes must ride single file on the far right side of the road except when passing another rider, or for reasons of safety. Side-by-side riding is not allowed and will result in a position violation.
h. Athletes who impede the forward progress of other athletes will be given a blocking violation.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman-70.3/world...

It appears not based on what I saw yesterday. It was ridiculous.

5:12 for me, 11th in the 50-54 group. I did this race last year and the bike was much harder this year. I swear after mile 30, it seemed like it was all uphill and against the wind. I was so happy to park the bike. The run was easier this year with less hills and low humidity. I was happy with my results this year, now I have nothing scheduled until IMCHOO in Sep.
2014-06-02 5:06 PM
in reply to: #5005418

User image

Great job everyone! I thought the bike was challenging but I come from the flatlands of Miami so actually even the hills on the run were a challenge for me.

6:03 for me which I'm happy with. Lots more work on the bike before Chattanooga to be sure.
2014-06-02 5:50 PM

User image

, North Carolina

5:19. I blew up on the second run loop. The out was pretty much all uphill. My legs started locking up and I wanted to walk or pass out in a ditch so badly.
Nice. 5:23:53 and I blew up when I hit the headwind on 64. And everywhere thereafter. But I took my wetsuit this year 75.4 temp called about 4:20 Sunday morning.

Position Rules:
b. Athletes must keep 7 meters (4 bike lengths) distance between bikes except when passing. Failure to do so will result in a drafting violation.
c. A pass occurs when the overtaking athlete’s front wheel passes the leading edge of the athlete being overtaken.
d. Overtaking Athletes may pass on the left for up to 20 seconds, but must move back to the right side of the road, after passing. Failure to complete a pass within 20 seconds will result in a drafting violation. Athletes may not back out of the 7 meter draft zone once it is entered (drafting violation).
e. Overtaken athletes must immediately fall back 7 meters (4 bike lengths) before attempting to regain the lead from a front running bike. Immediately re-passing prior to falling back 7 meters will result in an overtaken violation.
f. Overtaken Athletes who remain within 7 meters (4 bike lengths) for more than 20 seconds will be given a drafting violation.
g. Athletes must ride single file on the far right side of the road except when passing another rider, or for reasons of safety. Side-by-side riding is not allowed and will result in a position violation.
h. Athletes who impede the forward progress of other athletes will be given a blocking violation.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman-70.3/world...

I do triathlons for me.....I am not fast enough to worry about being on the podium or anything of the sort, so honestly, if someone is drafting, it doesnt bother me as much as someone who is actaully competing for a podium spot. That being said, I got passed on Old US 1 by a 4 man pace line. I thought there may have been a local crit going on I just didnt know about.
2014-06-02 7:00 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Originally posted by Wthore

Position Rules:

I do triathlons for me.....I am not fast enough to worry about being on the podium or anything of the sort, so honestly, if someone is drafting, it doesnt bother me as much as someone who is actaully competing for a podium spot. That being said, I got passed on Old US 1 by a 4 man pace line. I thought there may have been a local crit going on I just didnt know about.

My big complaint was position fouls. Riding on the left with no intent to complete a pass, and as a slow swimmer and a better cyclist than swimmer, I was coming up on a LOT of folks hanging out on the left. I don't mind being drafted, as I'm pretty slow on the flats as well, but I do climb fairly well, and that's where I encountered my roadblocks. And heh, I wouldn't stand a chance at top 20% in a HIM, so that's not a concern. But they are RULES not only for award qualification and such, but for SAFETY. New Hill Holleman was bad for this, as we found out with the wreck.
2014-06-03 6:09 AM
in reply to: fgump

I didn't notice much wind but then again I train near the beach so a 10-20mph wind is the norm. I train on flat terrain but actually liked the hills. It gave me time to take in nutrition or sit up and stretch a bit. What was the deal with some of the swimmers? Some people were just laying on their backs floating. I wouldn't care if they moved to the side but they were right next to the markers. I had to keep sighting so that I wouldn't plow into them or splash water in their mouth. I saw a few swimmers having trouble before they even reached the first turn. I'm not being a snob but this seems like a dangerous situation they put themselves in.

2014-06-03 6:13 AM

User image

Regular
Finished the race with the least amount of training I have done - due to a tough travel schedule. But I have to say I had more fun in Raleigh than any triathlon I have ever done! The crowd support was spectacular! And the course was very well laid out - overall I was pleased! Hats off to the ironman raleigh 70.3 team for putting on a great show!
2014-06-03 9:12 AM
in reply to: Mike J

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Had a solid race but really enjoyed the day overall- great volunteers, great comaraderie (sp?) with friends and other athletes on the course, etc. It was awesome. Made me want to do another one, despite me not wanting to do another one (if that makes any sense). :-)
2014-06-03 9:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
An absolutely beautiful day for the race. We really couldn't have been luckier!

The headwind combined with the hills on the late part of the bike course surprised me... again, made for a bike that was a little harder than I would have anticipated. I really liked the two loop run course because the crowds were great.

Fun story... I hit the run when it was pretty sparsely populated. I saw a number of pros finishing their first loop. A race official rode up next to me on a bike and said some words of encouragement. I know there is always a cyclist with the man and woman leading the race so I jokingly said "Am I in first?". He said, "No, she is." and pointed. I looked over and it was the first place woman. She was in my vicinity for a short time and then headed off up the road. I also exchanged a couple of words with a couple of the other pros as they came by as well.
2014-06-17 12:21 PM
in reply to: smoom

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Some (vague) info on the finishers' hats (I sent an email to Ironman):

Email body:

Just prior to this year’s race, Ironman sent an email indicating the
finishers’ hats would not be available at the finish line. The email
indicated the problem was an issue with customs.

The race was over 2 weeks ago, and there’s been no followup response from
Ironman (nor a response from Brian Myrick, the race director, whom I
contacted directly).

Can you advise when the hats will be shipped?

By the way, the race shirts ran small compared to last year, and the
graphics leave a lot to be desired. I’m planning to give the race one more
try next year, but that will probably be it for me.

Thank you,

Bill Bass

Reply:

Hi Bill,

Thank you for reaching out regarding this. We are currently working with a mailing house to finalize the details of this shipment. Your patience is greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Best wishes,

Erin Erickson
Coordinator, Athlete Services
World Triathlon Corporation
2014-06-17 1:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks Bill- yeah, my shirt is way small. I am taking up body building in the offseason so I can fully fill out my shirt ;-)

2014-06-18 7:55 PM

I love when you guys throw me under the bus! How did you contact me about the Finishers Hats? On Facebook? If you sent me a personal message I assure you I don't respond to them. If you sent a message to the official page, then you got a response. I check those and my staff gets back to everyone (even though it might take a few days since everyone is on the road). If you tagged me on some unofficial FB page, I don't check those anymore either. I used to try and respond to every thread, provide some insight as to why I make the decisions that I do, try and offer some personal input but the continuous bashing wasn't worth it for me! If you have questions, email the address on the website and you will get a response...

Brian Myrick

Edited by bhmyrick 2014-06-18 8:01 PM
2014-06-19 8:33 AM

User image

Email body:

contacted directly).

Thank you,

Bill Bass

Reply:

Hi Bill,

Thank you for reaching out regarding this. We are currently working with a mailing house to finalize the details of this shipment. Your patience is greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.

Best wishes,

Erin Erickson

Planning to give the race one more try? If you're seriously considering not doing a race because of the T-Shirt, you're insane. Raleigh was a great race, well organized, and with great support from the community. I'll take that over a t shirt and a crappy finishers hat I'll never wear. Enjoy the day...not the gear.
2014-06-19 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Originally posted by Iwannarunlikeforrest

Email body:

contacted directly).

Thank you,

Bill Bass

Reply:

Hi Bill,

Best wishes,

Erin Erickson

Planning to give the race one more try? If you're seriously considering not doing a race because of the T-Shirt, you're insane. Raleigh was a great race, well organized, and with great support from the community. I'll take that over a t shirt and a crappy finishers hat I'll never wear. Enjoy the day...not the gear.
No, planning one more try because, after two times of forking out over $225 for a 70.3 I can do on my own terms, and with mediocre community support except for Holly Springs (even many folks HATING us being on THEIR roads, an athlete getting hit by a car during the race), and the desire to "do something different", I might choose to spend my money elsewhere. I think the "great" community support was families and friends of the racers on Hillsborough Street, but the rest of the 99% of Raleigh and Wake County took offense at not being able to get anywhere with all the road closures (although it was better this year with the turnaround at Gorman, thank you RD). I have to live with the "cyclists think they own the roads" stigma the other 364 days of the year when I ride my bike on the rural roadways in SW Wake County, following the rules of the road and sharing it with motorists.

I don't have any unfinished business on this course. I've done it twice, finished if faster this year than last, and executed a good swim (for me), good transitions, a good bike for me given my training and the weather conditions, and hit my planned run pace even with some slowing near the end. A 5:23 is good enough for me, being a BOP swimmer, FOMOP (front of middle of pack) cyclist, and BOFOP (back of front of pack) runner

But the shirt being cheapened (the volunteer shirts were nicer/more colorful), and not having a simple detail like a hat figured out, make me appreciate the smaller races where those details ARE worked out (FS Series comes to mind)

Edited by fgump 2014-06-19 9:52 AM
2014-06-19 9:50 AM
in reply to: bhmyrick

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Originally posted by bhmyrick

I love when you guys throw me under the bus! How did you contact me about the Finishers Hats? On Facebook? If you sent me a personal message I assure you I don't respond to them. If you sent a message to the official page, then you got a response. I check those and my staff gets back to everyone (even though it might take a few days since everyone is on the road). If you tagged me on some unofficial FB page, I don't check those anymore either. I used to try and respond to every thread, provide some insight as to why I make the decisions that I do, try and offer some personal input but the continuous bashing wasn't worth it for me! If you have questions, email the address on the website and you will get a response...

Brian Myrick
Sorry, tagged you @Brian Myrick on a Raleigh 70.3 FB page (thought it was the official, didn't know what you do/don't respond to, sorry), and didn't get anything back from that. But an email to Ironman got me an answer as shown above.

2014-06-19 1:10 PM

User image

So they are mailing the hats still. That's great.

My shirt fits. But I feel lucky because when I checked in the volunteers were telling folks to try them on because they were running small. I guess that didn't happen for everyone.

The color of the girls shirts is not my personal favorite but ... you get what you get. Here's hoping that there's a great shirt in Chattanooga. Is this where I put in my official "please make us a great shirt" request?

I'm kidding a little bit. But I think Brian is the rd for Chattanooga also so I do kind of hope he's listening. While I try to go with the flow on race giveaways I'll admit it does make me happy when there is a great shirt.

2014-06-19 9:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Email body:

contacted directly).

Thank you,

Bill Bass

Reply:

Hi Bill,

Best wishes,

Erin Erickson

No, planning one more try because, after two times of forking out over $225 for a 70.3 I can do on my own terms, and with mediocre community support except for Holly Springs (even many folks HATING us being on THEIR roads, an athlete getting hit by a car during the race), and the desire to "do something different", I might choose to spend my money elsewhere. I think the "great" community support was families and friends of the racers on Hillsborough Street, but the rest of the 99% of Raleigh and Wake County took offense at not being able to get anywhere with all the road closures (although it was better this year with the turnaround at Gorman, thank you RD). I have to live with the "cyclists think they own the roads" stigma the other 364 days of the year when I ride my bike on the rural roadways in SW Wake County, following the rules of the road and sharing it with motorists.

I don't have any unfinished business on this course. I've done it twice, finished if faster this year than last, and executed a good swim (for me), good transitions, a good bike for me given my training and the weather conditions, and hit my planned run pace even with some slowing near the end. A 5:23 is good enough for me, being a BOP swimmer, FOMOP (front of middle of pack) cyclist, and BOFOP (back of front of pack) runner

But the shirt being cheapened (the volunteer shirts were nicer/more colorful), and not having a simple detail like a hat figured out, make me appreciate the smaller races where those details ARE worked out (FS Series comes to mind)

I think you might be needing a beer fgump :-)
2014-06-19 9:21 PM
in reply to: louiskie

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Nah, I'm good Louis. Just a little peeved at folks lobbing shrouded (and not-so) insults to my motives/thoughts.

Swinging back over to run mode from here on out I believe. As much as I like the camaraderie of our local group, I'd rather just run and not have to listen to all this noise.
2014-06-20 8:40 AM

User image

Nah, I'm good Louis. Just a little peeved at folks lobbing shrouded (and not-so) insults to my motives/thoughts.

Swinging back over to run mode from here on out I believe. As much as I like the camaraderie of our local group, I'd rather just run and not have to listen to all this noise.

I don't think anything I said was an insult, and it wasn't meant to be even if it came across that way, but I've done a decent amount of these things(not implying you haven't) and Raleigh was definitely one of the better organized and better supported (by volunteers) races I've done. I just don't think it's right to have hostility towards the RD when he put on a great logistical race. You're the first person I've talked to who seems like they had a negative experience. No one's forcing you to do the race, so don't. I'll be back next year to support it though.
2014-06-20 9:24 AM
in reply to: Iwannarunlikeforrest

User image

Expert
Apex, NC

I don't think anything I said was an insult, and it wasn't meant to be even if it came across that way, but I've done a decent amount of these things(not implying you haven't) and Raleigh was definitely one of the better organized and better supported (by volunteers) races I've done. I just don't think it's right to have hostility towards the RD when he put on a great logistical race. You're the first person I've talked to who seems like they had a negative experience. No one's forcing you to do the race, so don't. I'll be back next year to support it though.
I did not have a negative experience. It was personally positive. But it's time to move on for me, there are other offerings out there.

I agree it was a wonderfully supported event by volunteers, I was one of them (was at bike check in all afternoon the day prior, and I volunteered at athlete check-in last year, so I got the best of both worlds.)

It's a small thing, but I paid pretty decent money for this event, and I felt like it was a better experience last year than this year, as a whole.

That's my opinion however, and just like a$$holes, we all have one.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Raleigh : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Started by klassman
Views: 34557 Posts: 174

2013-08-07 7:19 PM klassman

Ironman 70.3 Florida : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15

Started by alicia123
Views: 33172 Posts: 354

2009-05-23 6:58 PM The Cube

Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by LazyMarathoner
Views: 25736 Posts: 302

2009-04-11 5:37 PM atlrunnergirl

Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by trishie
Views: 37664 Posts: 379

2010-04-04 7:40 PM distancegirl

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30606 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.