Other Resources The Political Joe » Republicans are LOSING! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2013-10-10 8:38 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: Republicans are LOSING!

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/10/20903624-nbcwsj-poll-shutdown-debate-damages-gop?lite

Most of you know, I'm a pretty left leaning, Blue Man in a Red State (Idaho).  With that being said....

In the court of Public Opinion; Republicans are losing this budget battle.  Every single poll on every network (except Ted "wackjob" Cruz's own poll) show public support for Boehner, TeaParty and Republican Party at an ALL TIME low.  Regardless of how the poll is worded; "Who do you blame?" or "Who is more to blame?" or "Favorable/Unfavorable Opinion". Republicans are polling at ALL TIME LOWS.  Not since the Clinton Impeachment have Repubs seen such dismal numbers.

In fact, public opinion for ACA aka ObamaCare has seen an uptick in support from 31% to 38%.  (according to left-leaning NBC/Wall St Journal). 

Could things be any WORSE for Republicans.   I'm all for a strong 2 party system, but If Ted Cruz and John Boehner keep driving the Republican party bus, just how low will things get.  And, more importantly, WHAT can they do to stop the freefall?  I'm not interested in discussing the policies-there are already threads discussing the specific issues. 

WHAT can Repubs do to salvage their party brand?

Discuss.......

Edited by jeffnboise 2013-10-10 8:46 PM

2013-10-10 8:57 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Republicans are LOSING!

I agree with you. 

The thing that has turned me off more than anything is that these idiot "tea party" republicans appeared to have no plan at all.  I liken it to inmates who take over a prison in a riot and don't know what to ask for....it's ridiculous.

When you couple that with the idea that there is sufficient support in the House for the budget to be approved and the debt ceiling raised and Bonehead, oh, wait, Boehner, won't allow a vote, and it becomes really dumb for the republicans.

Way to screw up any chance of not having Billary as our next president.....hope ya'll are proud. Friggin' morons!

2013-10-10 9:06 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Veteran
Ohio
I having always considered myself and voted republican...but this mess has made be embarrassed to be one.
2013-10-10 9:26 PM

User image

Master
Beijing
Originally posted by jeffnboise

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/10/20903624-nbcwsj-poll-shutdown-debate-damages-gop?lite

Most of you know, I'm a pretty left leaning, Blue Man in a Red State (Idaho).  With that being said....

In the court of Public Opinion; Republicans are losing this budget battle.  Every single poll on every network (except Ted "wackjob" Cruz's own poll) show public support for Boehner, TeaParty and Republican Party at an ALL TIME low.  Regardless of how the poll is worded; "Who do you blame?" or "Who is more to blame?" or "Favorable/Unfavorable Opinion". Republicans are polling at ALL TIME LOWS.  Not since the Clinton Impeachment have Repubs seen such dismal numbers.

In fact, public opinion for ACA aka ObamaCare has seen an uptick in support from 31% to 38%.  (according to left-leaning NBC/Wall St Journal). 

Could things be any WORSE for Republicans.   I'm all for a strong 2 party system, but If Ted Cruz and John Boehner keep driving the Republican party bus, just how low will things get.  And, more importantly, WHAT can they do to stop the freefall?  I'm not interested in discussing the policies-there are already threads discussing the specific issues. 

Discuss.......

Firstly, we're ALL losing.  The Republicans are just doing it in the least popular way.

I was thinking about this the other night.  I actually got a little excited that, for the first time in recent history, I felt like there was a decent chance that we could see a three-party system.

The Republican leadership, which I view as (comparatively) moderate, should take this opportunity to divest themselves of the Tea Party.   They are clearly a minority within the party. with JUST enough pull to really, really cause a stink.

If the Tea Party were no longer considered to be "Republican" then it would give the more moderate Republican party much more room to negotiate with the Dems.

It all depends on what the Dem reaction to this would be. A shift to center in order to work with Republicans to get the majority of their agenda implemented = good.  A staunch left stance saying "we're big, you're small, you have to do what we say" = bad.

My current view is that the Tea Party(and by extension, Republican) agenda is a short-term disaster but long-term boon for our country.

The Democrat agenda is a short-term boon and long-term disaster for our country.

There is no way forward without some level of pain for our citizens.  

We need a "shift to center" if we're going to spread the pain out to as many people as possible (so that it hurts everyone equally.)

2013-10-10 10:00 PM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Pro
Originally posted by moondawg14

Discuss.......

Firstly, we're ALL losing.  The Republicans are just doing it in the least popular way.

That's exactly my issue.  Hell, we were all losing BEFORE this started.....why did the Republicans have to prop themselves up as even dumber than this President? The perception was rolling along that Obama and the Dems weren't the answer....there was a chance for 2016 to go for the Republican nomination.....a great chance.

You can't make it up. 

Now what?  Cruz vs. Clinton in 2016?  Watch and see......these people are THAT stupid.

2013-10-10 10:06 PM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
John Boehner does NOT have the vote. He says he to follows the Hastard rule. He needs the majority of the majority in order to bring a bill up. To me attitude is harmful to the country.

2013-10-10 10:11 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro

Originally posted by chirunner134 John Boehner does NOT have the vote. He says he to follows the Hastard rule. He needs the majority of the majority in order to bring a bill up. To me attitude is harmful to the country.

What do you mean by that.....you lost me.  Not being sarcastic, trying to understand.

2013-10-10 10:15 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hastert_Rule

The Hastert Rule, also known as the "majority of the majority" rule, is an informal governing principle used by Republican Speakers of the House of Representatives since the mid-1990s to maintain their speakerships[1] and limit the power of the minority party to bring bills up for a vote on the floor of the House.[2] Under the doctrine, the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives will not allow a vote on a bill unless a majority of the majority party supports the bill

he does not have 51% of the republicans. So he does not have the votes.
2013-10-10 10:22 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro

Originally posted by chirunner134 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hastert_RuleThe Hastert Rule, also known as the "majority of the majority" rule, is an informal governing principle used by Republican Speakers of the House of Representatives since the mid-1990s to maintain their speakerships[1] and limit the power of the minority party to bring bills up for a vote on the floor of the House.[2] Under the doctrine, the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives will not allow a vote on a bill unless a majority of the majority party supports the bill he does not have 51% of the republicans. So he does not have the votes.

But he CAN allow a vote, right?  If it's an "informal governing principle" it's not a law. 

2013-10-10 10:32 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by chirunner134 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hastert_RuleThe Hastert Rule, also known as the "majority of the majority" rule, is an informal governing principle used by Republican Speakers of the House of Representatives since the mid-1990s to maintain their speakerships[1] and limit the power of the minority party to bring bills up for a vote on the floor of the House.[2] Under the doctrine, the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives will not allow a vote on a bill unless a majority of the majority party supports the bill he does not have 51% of the republicans. So he does not have the votes.

But he CAN allow a vote, right?  If it's an "informal governing principle" it's not a law. 

yup. 

2013-10-10 10:43 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
yep he does not have too and twice a month they can go around him using a discharge partition. Looks like they can get signatures starting tomorrow and could in theory get the government up and running by the 14th.

2013-10-10 10:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Look, like I have posted, we are affected economically in our family by this....and that's fine....we're fine.  But the damage they are doing to any hope of a Republican win in '16 is NOT fine with me.....it's ridiculously stupid.  I won't even vote for these dumbarses if this is all they've got. 

Bluffing without even holding a pair, while looking wild eyed, will always be a losing hand. Geez.....really??

Edited by Left Brain 2013-10-10 11:02 PM
2013-10-11 9:44 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I've had a couple of different thoughts on this.  On one hand, everyone is telling us the Republicans are "losing", but if that's the case then why is every Democrat talking head trying to get them to stop doing what they're doing?   If your opponent is destroying any chance they have of winning anything in the future then you let them keep doing it.  However, the Dems are desperately trying to get them to stop.  So, based on actions, I'm not 100% convinced they are losing.

That being said, my thoughts on the whole shutdown is to get out of the way of the train wreck.  If the ACA is as bad as they think it is, then get out of the way and let it crash.  If everything goes nuclear next year then the Repubs win in a landslide in the mid terms and are in a very good spot in 2016.

I like Ted Cruz a lot and I am looking forward to him running in 2016.  We sit back and whine about Washington spending money like drunk sailors and the machine being horribly broken.  However, when somebody has the courage to stand up and try and stop the machine, both sides attack him.  It's the whole reason the machine keeps running the way it does.  Cruz is about responsible government spending and civil liberties, and those are what both sides of the political spectrum need.

Also, the budget isn't the issue, IMHO.  The debt ceiling is where the real battle is going to be.  I'm guessing the Republicans will try to sign on to any budget that's balanced so the debt doesn't increase anymore.  I'm also guessing the Democrats will never sign onto a budget that isn't far greater than our revenues because the ACA is a big part of that overage.

So, the fun is just getting started.

2013-10-11 10:14 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Originally posted by tuwood

I've had a couple of different thoughts on this.  On one hand, everyone is telling us the Republicans are "losing", but if that's the case then why is every Democrat talking head trying to get them to stop doing what they're doing?  

Oh, I don't know....maybe Because they (Repubs) are threatening to cripple an already struggling economy.  Yell 

BTW:  I have friends who are hurting because of this shutdown.  I'm not sure "the fun is just getting started" is an appropriate remedy to their families suffering.

edited to change "Fun" quotation

Edited by jeffnboise 2013-10-11 10:17 AM
2013-10-11 10:27 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Great question, but really democrats should be asking themselves the same thing.

I know people who have voted straight down party lines for over 20 years who are saying they won't vote for a single incumbent in the next election, and I am one of them.

I have been on the Democrats Hope Spam list since Obama was first elected.  I hadn't stopped the emails because they would occasionally alert me to things I wanted to read more about.  The shutdown was the final straw. When I "unsubscribed" they offered a comments section, and I unleashed.

I don't know if anyone actually reads those, but if the democrats really think they can ask me for another $3 donation while the government is shutdown, and they're all acting like insolent brats, they can freakin suck it.  I'm done.

2013-10-11 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

And if they need yet ANOTHER hole in their boat; The rollout for ACA has been nothing short of a dismal failure. 

But NOBODY is talking about it-because we're watching Ted Cruz, Mike Lee (is there a dumber US Senator?) and Boehner trade the spotlight and media reels for their "Grand Bargain".  By the time this thing is settled, ObamaCare will likely have alot of it's technical glitches solved and be fairly integrated into public perception. 

And I really, I mean REAAALLLYYYY, hope Ted Cruz runs in 2016.  (I wonder if Fleetwood Mac would reunite for the inaguration).

2013-10-11 10:47 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

And if they need yet ANOTHER hole in their boat; The rollout for ACA has been nothing short of a dismal failure. 

But NOBODY is talking about it-because we're watching Ted Cruz, Mike Lee (is there a dumber US Senator?) and Boehner trade the spotlight and media reels for their "Grand Bargain".  By the time this thing is settled, ObamaCare will likely have alot of it's technical glitches solved and be fairly integrated into public perception. 

And I really, I mean REAAALLLYYYY, hope Ted Cruz runs in 2016.  (I wonder if Fleetwood Mac would reunite for the inaguration).

BTW, you should be really happy that the Republicans are doing this.  

I'm also with Switch.  There are a lot of negative polls out against the Republicans, but there are just as many against the Democrats.  It's easy to say people hate the republicans a little more so the Dems are winning, but they're really both losing.

#throwthebumsout

2013-10-11 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

I'm also with Switch.  There are a lot of negative polls out against the Republicans, but there are just as many against the Democrats.  It's easy to say people hate the republicans a little more so the Dems are winning, but they're really both losing.

#throwthebumsout

I'm not 'happy' about the impact it's having.

(bold text) Complete Agreement

Edited by jeffnboise 2013-10-11 11:35 AM
2013-10-11 11:34 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Elite
Boise
The only good news I've seen out of this is a recent poll (I forget who did it) said that 60% of people think we shoudl fire the entire congress. That gives me hope.
2013-10-11 11:40 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

#throwthebumsout

I fault the Republicans, and specifically the Tea Party, for initiating this debacle, but both parties are at fault for allowing it to continue. When you have nothing to lose personally, you have no real skin in the game. Rather than spending a few hours a day posturing and spitting out sound bites for the media before retiring to private health clubs and dining rooms, lock them in a DC High school gym with folding chairs, set the thermostat to 80, and let them sweat out an agreement.

Meanwhile, in my little corner of the universe, I am furious that because of these morons NIH scientists are forced to euthanize their very expensive transgenic mice, as they can't properly be taken care of during the shutdown. This will set back medical research by months, if not years.

2013-10-11 11:44 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

BTW, you should be really happy that the Republicans are doing this.  :)

#throwthebumsout

I fault the Republicans, and specifically the Tea Party, for initiating this debacle, but both parties are at fault for allowing it to continue. When you have nothing to lose personally, you have no real skin in the game. Rather than spending a few hours a day posturing and spitting out sound bites for the media before retiring to private health clubs and dining rooms, lock them in a DC High school gym with folding chairs, set the thermostat to 80, and let them sweat out an agreement.

Meanwhile, in my little corner of the universe, I am furious that because of these morons NIH scientists are forced to euthanize their very expensive transgenic mice, as they can't properly be taken care of during the shutdown. This will set back medical research by months, if not years.

Woah, I hadn't heard about that. PITA will have a field day with that;)

Seriously, that is an amazing amount of time and money down the drain--TAXPAYER $$$, and we all know grant money ain't gettin reimbursed.

2013-10-11 11:50 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Originally posted by switch

#throwthebumsout

Woah, I hadn't heard about that. PITA will have a field day with that

Seriously, that is an amazing amount of time and money down the drain--TAXPAYER $$$, and we all know grant money ain't gettin reimbursed.

PETA. I'm not so sure how those mice would taste with a little hummus and falafel

2013-10-11 11:52 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

#throwthebumsout

yea that AND the Congressional gym is going without towel service.

2013-10-11 12:00 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

#throwthebumsout

PETA. I'm not so sure how those mice would taste with a little hummus and falafel

Faching autocorrect.
2013-10-11 12:02 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro

#throwthebumsout

Faching autocorrect.

And I just couldn't resist. It's like a Congressman with a smart phone and a full-length mirror (tying in Sous' comment)

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Republicans are LOSING! Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : January 13, 2011
author : KenMierke
comments : 0
Learn the principles on how to lose weight and keep it off. These 10 commandments will help keep you at a healthy weight for life.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?
date : September 3, 2006
author : fatboy38
comments : 10
I've come a long way in one year; 85 pounds lost and fitness gained. I think I feel truly alive for the first time in a long time.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mrakes1
In spite of blaming metabolism for your body type or holding your genetics at fault, anyone can lose weight.
date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
My main concern is obviously the running but my priority is weight loss. I really need any advice on how to get ready.

date : June 4, 2006
author : robinskj
You don't have to wait for lost pounds, a new bike, more time to train, etc. Work with what you've got right now, and go for it!