Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by jeffnboise

Sarah Palin?

Do Republicans want her on the team?  

But she has SEEN Russia from Alaska, you mavericky maverick

I swear....if I was Tuwood, I'd be convinced that Palin was a secret agent of the libs and planted by them to make the republicans look like morons.   

That woman is an idiot and the Republicans need to rid themselves of her or face the prospect of Madam President, Hillary Clinton, who would win by a landslide if the election was today.

~taking tuwoods tin foil cap off~ 

give me my hat back... 

I don't think Obama is very smart either, but he's a very experienced politician and comes across as such so the IQ doesn't necessarily matter.  

Obama was a law professor, and you don't think he is smart? I'd more lean towards lack of experience as a politician for his current troubles. He is an extremely intelligent person.

Oh, c'mon. That's just a ridiculous thing to say. They don't hand out acceptance letters to Columbia and Harvard Law at the 7/11. And even if you believe that his race and affirmative action helped with his admission, he still had to have enough upstairs to graduate from two very rigorous, competitive universities. I went to an Ivy as well, and I can tell you first hand that I went to school with a lot of kids who lacked common sense, and there were plenty of kids who weren't as smart as the average student there, but it's frankly absurd to suggest that someone with those academic credentials is "not very smart".

Who gives a hoot what his IQ is. Bush is actually quite intelligent too that is a product of the Ivy league, but you guys love considering him an idiot.

All that matters is how well can he do the job. He had zero evidence or history showing he accomplished anything. He had zero evidence to show he would be good for the job. Now, we have 5 years of evidence that shows indeed he has not accomplished much and he was bad for the job. After the speech is over, what can he do... not much. And yes it makes everyone feel good, but then what do they do... not much.

He is most certainly a divider and not a uniter. He relies on the same tricks he denounced... blaming and partisan politics. And as far as the open trasnperant administration he promised... well, I give him an F.

We have the exact government we elected. A bought ad campaign with no substance.

Edited by powerman 2013-10-16 2:20 PM

2013-10-16 2:25 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Republicans are LOSING!

Originally posted by powerman

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Sarah Palin?

Do Republicans want her on the team?  

But she has SEEN Russia from Alaska, you mavericky maverick

I swear....if I was Tuwood, I'd be convinced that Palin was a secret agent of the libs and planted by them to make the republicans look like morons.   

That woman is an idiot and the Republicans need to rid themselves of her or face the prospect of Madam President, Hillary Clinton, who would win by a landslide if the election was today.

~taking tuwoods tin foil cap off~ 

give me my hat back... 

I don't think Obama is very smart either, but he's a very experienced politician and comes across as such so the IQ doesn't necessarily matter.  

Obama was a law professor, and you don't think he is smart? I'd more lean towards lack of experience as a politician for his current troubles. He is an extremely intelligent person.

Oh, c'mon. That's just a ridiculous thing to say. They don't hand out acceptance letters to Columbia and Harvard Law at the 7/11. And even if you believe that his race and affirmative action helped with his admission, he still had to have enough upstairs to graduate from two very rigorous, competitive universities. I went to an Ivy as well, and I can tell you first hand that I went to school with a lot of kids who lacked common sense, and there were plenty of kids who weren't as smart as the average student there, but it's frankly absurd to suggest that someone with those academic credentials is "not very smart".

Who gives a hoot what his IQ is. Bush is actually quite intelligent too that is a product of the Ivy league, but you guys love considering him an idiot.

All that matters is how well can he do the job. He had zero evidence or history showing he accomplished anything. He had zero evidence to show he would be good for the job. Now, we have 5 years of evidence that shows indeed he has not accomplished much and he was bad for the job. After the speech is over, what can he do... not much. And yes it makes everyone feel good, but then what do they do... not much.

He is most certainly a divider and not a uniter. He relies on the same tricks he denounced... blaming and partisan politics. And as far as the open trasnperant administration he promised... well, I give him an F.

We have the exact government we elected. A bought ad campaign with no substance.

Bingo!

2013-10-16 4:27 PM

Veteran
Ohio
Originally posted by powerman

Originally posted by buck1400 When we (the republicans) lost the presidential elections in '08 and again '12 and both times tried to make excuses and deflect blame about why we lost and not take a hard honest look at where the party was headed, I knew it was going to take the party to hit rock bottom before they would face the music and rebuild a republican that a majority of Americans could feeling comfortable being a part of. I think MAYBE they finally have.

Pretty optimistic statement considering current affairs. the only trick in their bag at this point is to drive the wedge deeper. And I see no let of that any time soon.

And if any of you guys hung out on any "conservitive" sites like me, you would indeed think the country was on the verge of collapse. I honestly think there are some very disturbed folks out there. The internet is not necessarily a good thing.

You may be right; It might be wishful thinking that we are near the bottom.

Most of the people in my circle of acquaintances are pretty conservative and some of what they seem to believe is pretty scary.
2013-10-16 8:49 PM
in reply to: feh

User image

Originally posted by feh

Originally posted by Jackemy1

Like I said, McCain had a zero chance of winning before Palin. So you could have ran burnt toast for VP and you wouldn't have reduce McCain's chances.

But inspiring the base has everything to do with improving ones chance of electoral success. There is no other greater factor to determining candidate success than to gauge the excitability and the depth of the base behind the candidate. It even trumps money (though money is a good indication of the strength of the base behind the candidate).

All success politicians "spring" from a base. It is why potential candidate form exploratory committees before they run. They want to figure out if there is enough of a base to spring from to develop momentum in a general election. If a candidate can't gather an excited base, that candidate can't win, period.

I disagree that "McCain had a zero chance of winning before Palin", but I'm not interested in arguing about it.

Your statement regarding the base - I think it assumes that the party as a whole is somewhat contiguous on the political spectrum. The issue w/ the Republicans at the moment is that "the base" (ie. TPers) have moved so far to the right that if a candidate from that group is chosen, they will have no chance to attract moderates/independents.

What you'll end up with is 30% of the electorate that is extremely motivated for their candidate. But, 30% isn't a winning strategy.

On McCain. That is is fine to disagree with me and I am not trying to be here. I was heavily involved with the Republican party in my State during that election and spent a lot of time in strategy debriefing with the McCain's Victory group spent many nights talking campaign strategy over beers at the local bar with people who knew what was going on. I am just telling you what I know from personally being there.

You are giving the Tea Party group way to much credit for their size and influence in party politics. They control very few State GOP committees and the committees where they do have some power, they are for the most part marginalize. The Tea Party dominance in the GOP is media fiction....for now. What is correct is that the GOP grassroots has been much more active in the last few years and they as a whole are more conservative. But that is no different the the grassroots Democrats who are more left than the part establishment. But they do get more scrutiny from the media than the Democratic grassroots because they are a greater threat to the establishment.

But, show me a candidate with 30% of the electorate excited for him and I'll show you the election winner every single time. The reason is that all you need is win 30% of the remaining vote to win while your opponent need 70%. That is almost insurmountable when a 60%-40% is considered an election landslide.

To put it another way is the end goal of an election is to have 50% plus 1 of the voters vote for you. So if you have 30% of the electorate that are excited voters all you need is to get each one of them to get one person to vote for you and you win 60-40% - A landslide.

2013-10-16 10:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

All I know is I'd sure like to have Cruz at a poker table for a few hours......dumbest bluff I've ever seen.  All Obama had to do was stand there and do nothing. 

It's really hard for Obama to make someone look stupid, much less the entire majority of the House....but this sure was easy.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-10-16 10:19 PM
2013-10-17 6:44 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

There you have it......Bad messaging = bad polls

For all the changes in information delivery, not much ever changes for the GOP's messaging skills.

Wind back to the 2012 presidential election. Recall how after it was over, the GOP promised that it would duplicate the incredible modern messaging machine the Obama team created across every available new-information platform. That delivery system was why across four years Barack Obama kept hammering "the 1%" and "the wealthiest." He was feeding the machine that was emailing, texting and tweeting this propaganda to targeted audiences.

Now suddenly comes a marketing ploy from the GOP's backbenches: "Defund ObamaCare." This idea was supposed to rally the nation against the Affordable Care Act. So if you were to ask students in marketing at the local community college what they thought of "Defund ObamaCare," what do you guess they might say? They'd say, absent the product, it sounds like a niche strategy with a low sales ceiling. Defund ObamaCare is now the Republicans' New Coke.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304864504579139...

2013-10-17 6:55 AM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Jackemy1 There you have it......Bad messaging = bad polls For all the changes in information delivery, not much ever changes for the GOP's messaging skills. Wind back to the 2012 presidential election. Recall how after it was over, the GOP promised that it would duplicate the incredible modern messaging machine the Obama team created across every available new-information platform. That delivery system was why across four years Barack Obama kept hammering "the 1%" and "the wealthiest." He was feeding the machine that was emailing, texting and tweeting this propaganda to targeted audiences. Now suddenly comes a marketing ploy from the GOP's backbenches: "Defund ObamaCare." This idea was supposed to rally the nation against the Affordable Care Act. So if you were to ask students in marketing at the local community college what they thought of "Defund ObamaCare," what do you guess they might say? They'd say, absent the product, it sounds like a niche strategy with a low sales ceiling. Defund ObamaCare is now the Republicans' New Coke. http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304864504579139...

I remember when I used to see things like this and think it was just part of a greater strategy to further some other goal.  Yeah, not so much anymore.  I gave way too much credit to politicians.

I might have to watch the news today to see how the Republicans spin it.  I bet you $5 the talking heads call it a victory for them in some roundabout way.  lol

Purely from a politics standpoint I think the Republicans would have been far better off just getting out of the way of the ACA.  As I've mentioned before, if it's as bad as you say it is (and I think they may be right) then let it happen.  If you try to kill it before people realize how bad it is, then you're killing "free healthcare" for the poor.  "See, we told you the Republicans hate poor people".

2013-10-17 8:52 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Originally posted by Jackemy1 There you have it......Bad messaging = bad polls For all the changes in information delivery, not much ever changes for the GOP's messaging skills. Wind back to the 2012 presidential election. Recall how after it was over, the GOP promised that it would duplicate the incredible modern messaging machine the Obama team created across every available new-information platform. That delivery system was why across four years Barack Obama kept hammering "the 1%" and "the wealthiest." He was feeding the machine that was emailing, texting and tweeting this propaganda to targeted audiences. Now suddenly comes a marketing ploy from the GOP's backbenches: "Defund ObamaCare." This idea was supposed to rally the nation against the Affordable Care Act. So if you were to ask students in marketing at the local community college what they thought of "Defund ObamaCare," what do you guess they might say? They'd say, absent the product, it sounds like a niche strategy with a low sales ceiling. Defund ObamaCare is now the Republicans' New Coke. http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304864504579139...

I remember when I used to see things like this and think it was just part of a greater strategy to further some other goal.  Yeah, not so much anymore.  I gave way too much credit to politicians.

I might have to watch the news today to see how the Republicans spin it.  I bet you $5 the talking heads call it a victory for them in some roundabout way.  lol

Purely from a politics standpoint I think the Republicans would have been far better off just getting out of the way of the ACA.  As I've mentioned before, if it's as bad as you say it is (and I think they may be right) then let it happen.  If you try to kill it before people realize how bad it is, then you're killing "free healthcare" for the poor.  "See, we told you the Republicans hate poor people".

Yup. That's the whole "Green Eggs and Ham" irony that people were pointing out with Cruz's bedtime story. There have been lots of Democratic politicians and left-leaning journalists saying stuff like, "The GOP isn't against the ACA because they're afraid it will fail, they're afraid it will succeed," and that if they really believed it was the unmitgated disaster that they say it is, they should step aside, let it come crashing down, and reap the political rewards. That may or may not be what was happening, but it certainly was an easy accusation to level at them, given the way they reacted to it.

It will be interesting to see how and if the GOP tries to spin it into a victory. Something that almost never happens in NYC happened today: the left-leaning Daily News and the right-leaning NY POst called the winners and losers the same way:
Winners: Obama, Mitch McConnell, Harry Reid
Losers: Boehner, the GOP, The Tea Party

The only place they disagreed was that the Post had Cruz as a winner and the Daily News had him as both a winner and a loser.
2013-10-17 9:04 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Did the tea party lose? I guess next election will tell. Either it will drive them out or it will get there base to push even harder and get more people out to vote. I suspect it will drive them out but you never know.
2013-10-17 10:50 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Yup. That's the whole "Green Eggs and Ham" irony that people were pointing out with Cruz's bedtime story. There have been lots of Democratic politicians and left-leaning journalists saying stuff like, "The GOP isn't against the ACA because they're afraid it will fail, they're afraid it will succeed," and that if they really believed it was the unmitgated disaster that they say it is, they should step aside, let it come crashing down, and reap the political rewards. That may or may not be what was happening, but it certainly was an easy accusation to level at them, given the way they reacted to it.

It will be interesting to see how and if the GOP tries to spin it into a victory. Something that almost never happens in NYC happened today: the left-leaning Daily News and the right-leaning NY POst called the winners and losers the same way:
Winners: Obama, Mitch McConnell, Harry Reid
Losers: Boehner, the GOP, The Tea Party

The only place they disagreed was that the Post had Cruz as a winner and the Daily News had him as both a winner and a loser.

So, if Republicans truly believe that the ACA will ruin our healthcare system, they should just step out of the way and potentially let 1/6 of our economy go down in flames?

For some reason, I imagine that if they did so, the next round of elections would feature "Why didn't the Republicans do anything to stop it" attack ads.

2013-10-17 11:26 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

All I know is I'd sure like to have Cruz at a poker table for a few hours......dumbest bluff I've ever seen.  All Obama had to do was stand there and do nothing. 

It's really hard for Obama to make someone look stupid, much less the entire majority of the House....but this sure was easy.

Here's what I'm taking away from what I've read so far.......blah blah balh.....Palin.CANKLES...WTH!. (spits yogurt on screen)

Priceless

2013-10-17 1:12 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

New user
The losers are the average working American people.
2013-10-17 2:53 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

I think we need to change the parliamentary procedure of posting so that only people who agree with the OP can post in a given thread...

2013-10-17 3:28 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by mrbbrad

I think we need to change the parliamentary procedure of posting so that only people who agree with the OP can post in a given thread...

I like that... But then again I start most of the threads... buhahahaha

2013-10-17 9:45 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
2013-10-18 8:03 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Terrific article. My favorite lines are:
"When Grover Norquist is saying that the Right went too far (he of the "drown government in the bath tub" fame) then the Right probably went a bit too far."

And the last paragraph:
"The talk for the next week will be about how the Tea Party is dead and Republicans must elect a politically correct, middle-of-the-road, unimaginative, establishment, compromising candidate in 2016 (preferably a singing sloth, cos the polls show that Americans just love those). But the reality is that US politics right now is a mess for both Left and Right, and the country is stuck in partisan limbo until the 2014 midterms or even the 2016 presidential election. This is not a Republican problem, it is an American problem."

2013-10-18 9:04 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn Terrific article. My favorite lines are: "When Grover Norquist is saying that the Right went too far (he of the "drown government in the bath tub" fame) then the Right probably went a bit too far." And the last paragraph: "The talk for the next week will be about how the Tea Party is dead and Republicans must elect a politically correct, middle-of-the-road, unimaginative, establishment, compromising candidate in 2016 (preferably a singing sloth, cos the polls show that Americans just love those). But the reality is that US politics right now is a mess for both Left and Right, and the country is stuck in partisan limbo until the 2014 midterms or even the 2016 presidential election. This is not a Republican problem, it is an American problem."

lol, those were my favorite two parts as well.

2013-11-12 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

BUMP!

Cuz I'm giving myself some post-Veteran's Day love.

CHRISTIE/CRUZ, PAUL, RYAN,  2016  

Kinda sounds like a porn star, don't it.  

2013-11-12 2:46 PM

User image

BUMP!

Feeling nostalgic and longing for those good old days when we had the shutdown?

http://realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_appro...
2013-11-12 3:03 PM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

BUMP!

Feeling nostalgic and longing for those good old days when we had the shutdown? http://realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_appro...

Hardly, but the Prez is still polling over 30 points better than Congress.  And Congressional Repubs are taking all the heat for that! 

2013-11-12 3:17 PM

User image

BUMP!

Feeling nostalgic and longing for those good old days when we had the shutdown? http://realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_appro...

Hardly, but the Prez is still polling over 30 points better than Congress.  And Congressional Repubs are taking all the heat for that! 

The thing with Congressional approval ratings is that everyone think everyone in Congress is doing a bad job except their Congressman. Is the Prez polling any better than any Congressman is polling in their district?

2013-11-12 3:18 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

BUMP!

CRUZ/PAUL for me.  Christie doesn't have a chance to win the general election and the fact that the MSM and the democrats are all pushing him (like they did Romney) proves the point.  

As for the Republicans losing.  I saw this a week or so back and thought of you.  

Mother Jones Shocker: 'New Poll Shows Democratic Incumbents in Big Trouble'

If the Dem's don't get the ACA figured out (and fast) they're probably not going to fare so well the next few elections.

2013-11-12 3:26 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Just saw this one:

Dem poll: Kay Hagan lead vanishes

Against state House Speaker Thom Tillis, Hagan leads by only 2 points, 44 percent to 42 percent, according to the Democratic firm Public Policy Polling. She leads Rev. Mark Harris by 2 points as well, 43 percent to 41 percent, and nurse Heather Grant by 3 points, 43 percent to 40 percent.

Hagan trails physician Greg Brannon, the Rand Paul-endorsed candidate in the race, by 1 point: he leads 44 percent to 43 percent.

That’s a huge difference from PPP’s September poll, which gave Hagan leads of anywhere from 12 to 17 points against all possible GOP challengers.

2013-11-19 3:05 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA

BUMP!

What's your definition of losing?

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/11/19/poll-suggests-obamacare-could-have-cost-obama-second-term/

I can see now why they waited until after the election to roll out the parts of the ACA that weren't instant winners. It also explains why they waited until the beginning of this year to make administrative decisions that would allow the website to move forward, causing the nightmare that is the federal website. We can't let people see what they are voting for now can we?
2013-11-19 5:28 PM
in reply to: uclamatt2007

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by uclamatt2007

BUMP!

What's your definition of losing? http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/11/19/poll-suggests-obamacare-could-have-cost-obama-second-term/ I can see now why they waited until after the election to roll out the parts of the ACA that weren't instant winners. It also explains why they waited until the beginning of this year to make administrative decisions that would allow the website to move forward, causing the nightmare that is the federal website. We can't let people see what they are voting for now can we?

Purely from a political standpoint I sit back and marvel at how the the winds have changed in the last month.  After the shutdown the Democrats were flying high and the Republicans looked like obstructionist dolts and gave a lot of merit to Jeff's original post.  Fast forward 6 weeks and now it's almost 100% the opposite due to the ACA.  Obama's approval rating is in near free fall, the Democrats are scrambling for cover at every level and incumbents are in deep doo doo based on recent polling.  You can't make this stuff up.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Republicans are LOSING! Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : January 13, 2011
author : KenMierke
comments : 0
Learn the principles on how to lose weight and keep it off. These 10 commandments will help keep you at a healthy weight for life.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?
date : September 3, 2006
author : fatboy38
comments : 10
I've come a long way in one year; 85 pounds lost and fitness gained. I think I feel truly alive for the first time in a long time.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mrakes1
In spite of blaming metabolism for your body type or holding your genetics at fault, anyone can lose weight.
date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
My main concern is obviously the running but my priority is weight loss. I really need any advice on how to get ready.

date : June 4, 2006
author : robinskj
You don't have to wait for lost pounds, a new bike, more time to train, etc. Work with what you've got right now, and go for it!