Other Resources The Political Joe » Why aren't the people in America in the streets? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-12 12:04 PM

User image

Subject: Why aren't the people in America in the streets?
Let me start with the disclaimers. This is not meant in anyway sarcastic, belittle, to start a big debate, chastise any side, group, people. I am not trying to say riot or get unruly. Just a curious, small knowledged, doesn't watch the American news Canadian chick.

I would think that the people are mad, really mad, afraid, po'd. So have Americans gone off-line to get mad? demonstrations? banning together as a cohesive group to make things change? make a point? The power of the people they say. Is this happening but not being shown? Is it because it isn't really as dramatic as the media makes it sound?

Also not saying as Canadians we would either, but partly we haven't had to I think as we have ticked along pretty good in my opinion this past decade. Plus it is getting cold so we don't really get mad in the Winter just the Spring and definitely not Summer as who wants to waste our nicest 2 months of the year.

Hope everyone is doing well. Interested in all thoughts.

Karen

2013-10-12 1:46 PM
in reply to: purestone

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
Subject: RE: Why aren't the people in America in the streets?
Great question! I am so irritated with our government and I wish we would take to the streets in protest. I don't know how to even begin organizing something like that but if there were protest I would join them. I guess most be don't feel like it would make a difference and they just accept that our government is not doing their job right now.
2013-10-12 2:48 PM
in reply to: csharp1171

User image

Pro

My wife got her first chopped down paycheck because of the shutdown.  We protested by grilling some steaks and drinking a couple bottles of wine.  Fach 'em.

2013-10-12 4:43 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

The problem is that it really isn't that bad.  In fact, maybe it will show that we could use a lot less Government.  The fact is none of this is worth taking to the streets for.  Think about it.  Would you risk your life (Livelyhood) to protest stupidity?  Probably not.  I have a good paying job, with benefits, a great family, and this really isn't impacting me in any way.  And ultimately, I will make my voice heard by my vote.  That is how it is supposed to work.

2013-10-12 5:54 PM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Elite
Heck, they nearly crashed the entire U.S. economy and nary a pitch fork to be found. This is nothing.
2013-10-12 10:15 PM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Champion
PA

Originally posted by velocomp

The problem is that it really isn't that bad.  In fact, maybe it will show that we could use a lot less Government.  The fact is none of this is worth taking to the streets for.  Think about it.  Would you risk your life (Livelyhood) to protest stupidity?  Probably not.  I have a good paying job, with benefits, a great family, and this really isn't impacting me in any way.  And ultimately, I will make my voice heard by my vote.  That is how it is supposed to work.

- Soap 

- Ballot

- Jury

- Ammo

Those are the 4 boxes (in the correct order) in which to solve things.  Velocomp is correct that things are not that bad and quite frankly, we would benefit from much less government.  The citizens are watching things play out.  More important than the shutdown is how the debt ceiling negotiations will go.  On top of that, the reaction to how "free" Obamacare is, will be entertaining.  

2013-10-13 11:11 AM

User image

Thanks for the responses. Very interesting. I think what I am hearing maybe that it isn't really "that bad" When you only get your information from Canadian news or the 10 minutes of CNN I can handle at a time they make it sound like the sky is falling. Trust me I know the media embellishes (too put it mildly). My Mum once said that we (meaning Canadians etc) don't react as they do say in the middle east (of late) because really "at the end of the day we know it isn't that bad"

Hope for everyones sake all goes well in the end.
2013-10-13 4:27 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

It isn't "that bad" for most Americans because the 800,000 furloughed workers are a fraction of federal employees. What most Americans don't think about is the hundreds of thousands of invisible federal employees still on the job, without pay, so that most American's lives can go on as normal.

The "essential" employees are still guarding the borders, making sure that airplanes take off safely and on time, still continuing to catch, prosecute and imprison criminals and make sure many, many other invisible tasks are handled. The few visible closures have people voicing their inconvenience. People only get outraged if they feel personally affected, and at this point many don't. So they sit home and passively express their displeasure at our leaders while hundreds of thousands of people wonder when they will receive another paycheck or when their benefits (veterans, ss) will stop. 

2013-10-13 4:56 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by rrrunner

It isn't "that bad" for most Americans because the 800,000 furloughed workers are a fraction of federal employees. What most Americans don't think about is the hundreds of thousands of invisible federal employees still on the job, without pay, so that most American's lives can go on as normal.

The "essential" employees are still guarding the borders, making sure that airplanes take off safely and on time, still continuing to catch, prosecute and imprison criminals and make sure many, many other invisible tasks are handled. The few visible closures have people voicing their inconvenience. People only get outraged if they feel personally affected, and at this point many don't. So they sit home and passively express their displeasure at our leaders while hundreds of thousands of people wonder when they will receive another paycheck or when their benefits (veterans, ss) will stop. 

As I've posted, my wife is one of those who is working without getting a paycheck right now.  I spent the end of last week with some Federal law enforcement folks.......nobody even mentioned it, and my family certainly isn't worried about it.  We went through the last one for 21 days and nobody starved to death or anything else.  In short......it's not "that bad" for us either....not even close.  I wouldn't give those idiots in Washington the satisfaction of hearing us complain.

2013-10-13 5:20 PM
in reply to: #4875752

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
LB I'm glad you and your friends aren't affected, many of the people I work with aren't in such a position.

But the point I was trying to make is that all these people saying we must not need government because they're aren't seeing a difference don't take in to consideration all of the federal services that are continuing during the shutdown.
2013-10-13 8:24 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Because the overwhelming majority of Americans still have enough to eat, a roof over their heads, a school for their kids to go to, clean water, transportation, law enforcement to protect them, and even a few luxuries, whether that's a second car, a nice tv or an expensive bike.

That puts us way, way, way ahead of most of the people on this planet. Even in most industrialized countries.

That doesn't mean we should sit back and be complacent, and pretend that things couldn't be better, but most right-thinking people are a long, long way from feeling like we need to storm into the streets with pitchforks and torches.

2013-10-13 9:20 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by rrrunner LB I'm glad you and your friends aren't affected, many of the people I work with aren't in such a position. But the point I was trying to make is that all these people saying we must not need government because they're aren't seeing a difference don't take in to consideration all of the federal services that are continuing during the shutdown.

And the point I am making is who cares?  Let it all shut down completely......that's the best way to see what it will hurt.  I bet it won't hurt near as much as the media and the politicians want us to believe.  You know why?  Because the govt. is WAY bigger than we need it to be....go ahead and shut it down completely (notice that the politicians won't actually let that happen).....watch what happens...life goes on.

2013-10-14 8:00 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro

It's hurt me a little, but it's also forced me to be creative and to seek out new business. I picked up two new clients last week. Sometimes a little shove is a good thing.

Remember when the USSR went broke? It forced their scientists and engineers to find ways to do more with less. They did amazing things with computers that we would have thrown away. They had more time to think and plan before running an experiment. Here we tend to throw money at problems.

2013-10-14 9:09 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Agree with the others, it just hasn't been painful enough for anyone to get that worked up.
Even the workers that aren't getting paid know that they'll get paid when it's over.  So even that level of "worked up" of those directly effected is pretty small.

Obviously there are people effected that won't get back pay, but they aren't a large enough group that's going to be marching the streets, IMHO.

2013-10-14 9:25 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I thought I saw one on Saturday coming back from the Chicago Marathon expo but it was an immigration reform march. Apparently we also had an Anti Monsanto march that day too. I did see a few people with shirt against those people. When I saw the immigration reform march I thought it was a Catholic thing because the people were Hispanic carry pictures of Mary of Guadeloupe and Crosses. I was not close enough to see details and I did not want to miss my train in order to really pay attention.
2013-10-14 9:50 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by tuwood

Agree with the others, it just hasn't been painful enough for anyone to get that worked up.
Even the workers that aren't getting paid know that they'll get paid when it's over.  So even that level of "worked up" of those directly effected is pretty small.

Obviously there are people effected that won't get back pay, but they aren't a large enough group that's going to be marching the streets, IMHO.

x2

2013-10-15 1:32 PM

User image

It's Al (I invented the internet) Gores fault.

The inter-webs are the "new streets"

If our elected officials continue to violate the constitution, their oath of office and amend current laws like a King I believe you'll see more protests in DC and at the local offices of our Senators and Congresspeeps. 

2013-10-15 5:19 PM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Originally posted by crusevegas

If our elected officials continue to violate the constitution, their oath of office and amend current laws like a King I believe you'll see more protests in DC and at the local offices of our Senators and Congresspeeps. 

We don't need to protest.  November 2014 isn't that far off.

2013-10-15 5:21 PM
in reply to: RussTKD

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
yeah. I think primaries are in march? So soon we can start dreaming of new leaders.
2013-10-15 10:06 PM
in reply to: #4876277

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
The elections won't help because we are going to chose a bunch of lawyers again. No offense if you are a lawyer.
2013-10-15 10:52 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Elite
Boise
Today in Boise there was a small march to the capital. So I guess we are marching in the streets.

2013-10-16 12:01 PM
in reply to: RussTKD

User image

Originally posted by RussTKD

Originally posted by crusevegas

We don't need to protest.  November 2014 isn't that far off.

I hope I'm wrong but I think we've gone past the tipping point. There are way too many people receiving stuff from the Federal Gubmnt. compared to how many the Federal Gubmnt. take money from.

You'll see a high percentage of people voting for the guys promising the most free stuff for this to ever get turned around. 

2013-10-18 12:19 PM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
A friend of mine did tell me they are in the streets in Canada though. This is going about a mile from his house.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/18/world/americas/canada-shale-prote...
2013-10-18 1:01 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro

Every time Sarah Palin opens her pie hole I want to run out into the street in front of a moving car.

2013-10-21 11:59 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

The 48% that give more to the government than they get back are the people who are peeved about the spending and debt problems in Washington. The other 52% could care less. The 48% have to work harder and longer to pay for all this so we don't have time to hit the streets and protest, so we gripe on forums and social media instead.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Why aren't the people in America in the streets? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

On the street interviews 'Obamacare' vs. Affordable Care Act

Started by tolefanjh
Views: 1386 Posts: 4

2013-10-02 9:24 AM msteiner

Sure glad racism is dead in America.... wait, what?

Started by crowny2
Views: 1952 Posts: 24

2013-07-19 1:29 PM bradleyd3

Snowden again.. Why? Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by KateTri1
Views: 8902 Posts: 120

2014-05-28 2:07 PM zed707

Suicide Rate Rises as Economy Stresses Middle-Age America

Started by DanielG
Views: 1589 Posts: 14

2013-05-03 1:33 PM KateTri1

Catholics - Why do you do that? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by moondawg14
Views: 7064 Posts: 78

2013-05-01 4:53 PM Triguy67
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : February 27, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
We often forget the Other, that person or persons living behind the doors of our individual hubris, that secreted cheerleader who polishes our medals but never wins one of their own.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : March 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
Most triathlons in America are held under USA Triathlon sanctioning. Last year I finally got a national ranking. Here are a few reasons to join.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
The reason that I wanted to complete a triathlon is because I was watching one on TV and said to myself, "I'll bet I can do one of those".

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!