General Discussion Triathlon Talk » North Raleigh Training Partner - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-12 12:11 PM

User image

Subject: North Raleigh Training Partner - Olympic Distance
Hey there!

I'm posting this to see if anyone's interested in partnering up and training for the Inside-Out/Falls Lake triathlon next April. I'm still new to the sport of triathlon (I'm about to do my first sprint tomorrow), and am hoping to find a like-minded triathlete with similar goals to train together in Raleigh.

I've been running since 2008 (regularly running 5 & 10km), and cycling since 2010 (rides up to about 40miles, occasionally more than 50). I'm still new-ish to swimming, but I can get through a 500 meter freestyle without drowning! My paces tend to be in the ballpark of 7:20/mile run, 18-19mph (overall average) rides, and I about 1:50/100m swim.

My job has me working 2:00 to midnight most days, so I try do to most of my training in the mid-morning (8:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.). I know these are atypical training hours, but if you've got similar availability and are interested in training for an Olympic Tri with me, give me a shout!

Edited by SeanErdrich 2013-10-12 12:16 PM

2013-10-17 5:04 PM
in reply to: SeanErdrich

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: North Raleigh Training Partner - Olympic Distance
Hey Sean,

I don't live in N. Raleigh, and you are too fast for me, but wanted to say welcome to the sport! How'd the first sprint tri go?
2013-10-21 10:30 PM
in reply to: keyone

User image

Hey there!

Thank you for the warm welcome, and regarding the sprint tri, it went very well! I came in 11th out of 388, and finished first in my age group!
2013-10-22 6:03 AM

User image

Hey Sean,

I'm over in Asheville so if you ever want to get some rides in up in the mountains, let me know. Great job on your first race!!!!
2013-10-22 9:13 PM
in reply to: #4875755

Hi Sean.

I am not a triathlete per se, but I do train a lot in north Raleigh.

I believe there is a triathlete training group that meets at the YMCA on Baileywick road. I think the group is organized around the masters swim class, but I am not certain.

In the summer some triathletes meet informally at Beaver Damn state park (North Raleigh) for swim training.

I recommend getting on the Race Reach website (link below). The site lists activities in the area including some triathlete training meet ups, group rides...

In addition you could consider trying a cycling group ride. I ride with the Gyros (link below). Our activity calendar can be found on the Race Reach site. We meet in North Raleigh often near Creedmore Rd. There are a few marathoners and triathletes (iron distance) that participate. A few Gyros participate in the swim group at the lake. So, it might give you a chance to find training partners. Plus the rides are a lot of fun. There are morning group rides during the week out of Harvest Plaza (9 AM, 30 - 53 miles, at Six Forks and Strickland). It is not a big group and most of the regulars are retirees, but don't let the that fool you. They are strong cyclists (and very welcoming).

Hope this helps you a little.

Dave

http://raleighgyros.com/g2.php

https://www.racereach.com/mtl.php?page=home
2013-10-26 8:56 PM
in reply to: TurtleMan77

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Congrats on the first tri, great job!!!

I've seen the YMCA's Facebook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/173446866086/

Not sure if that's the same group that Sean mentions, but worth a look!

Happy Training, Carol

2013-10-31 12:13 PM

User image

Thanks very much for the info! I'll definitely look into these groups. I knew about the North Raleigh Swim, but I had never had a chance to get up there for it because of work. I used to do a lot of riding with InsideOut on Creedmoor/Strickland, but my schedule changed and I haven't been able to ride with them quite as much as I'd like to. I'll definitely look into the RaceReach groups and the Gyros. Are you doing the MSFITS Thanksgiving Ride, by any chance?

Also, as far as retirees, I learned early on that it typically just means they've got that much more experience and skill, plus the time to hone those skills!
2013-11-01 9:04 PM
in reply to: #4882606

I did the Skinny Turkey half marathon last year and will most likely do it again this Thanksgiving. I thought the course was hard (hilly), but it was still a fun way to spend the morning.

Were you riding with Brian at IOS? I think he races as a pro (cycling). There are a couple Gyro rides tomorrow abd the HG ride at 9 AM if you have time.
2013-11-02 6:54 AM

User image

Yeah, I was riding with Brian. I know he leads a cycling team and does a crapload of cyclocross races too, I'm amazed he has the time/energy for all that! He's been really awesome with helping me learn/develop, and his constant -kickery on the hills has kept me motivated to work on power climbing (my weakest area in cycling).
2013-12-04 1:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sean-

I work at Six Forks and Strickland and weekday train at Finley. I've never been able to make any of Y's triathlon club workouts primarily b/c I workout at lunch. We're around the same run pace and I'd appreciate company. I'm a MOP swimmer, but would be happy to have company on lunch time swim sets as well. I could also start closer to 11AM to accommodate your schedule, though usually I'm closer to 11:45. Shoot me a PM if you want to connect.

Cheers,
J

Edited by Ubear97 2013-12-04 2:00 PM
2013-12-05 10:55 AM

Regular
Raleigh
Sean,

Just saw your post (I don't come to BT very often).

I'm N. Raleigh based (between Creedmoor and Leesville) and, having targeted 70.3s the past couple of years, want to focus on Olympic in 2014 to try to build some speed.

I tend to fall into the "wider, middle aged guy" category and couldn't hang with your run speed, but bike looks about right. I ride around the Falls Lake area a lot and used to go out with a couple of regular training buddies, but one has recently relocated and the other is five months pregnant, so I'm flying solo at the moment.

Let me know if you ever want to go out.

Also, Team CBC organises a regular ride from Soapstone Church (on Norwood) but I think they are done for the season.

Cheers,

Roger

2014-01-26 5:38 PM
in reply to: #4875755

User image

Hey guys! I had to take some time off of the training for a move and work. Here's a link to my training calendar for the next three months: http://goo.gl/JyQEQj

Just an FYI, most of the training locations have changed... Swims will be at Pullen Aquatic Center (lanes permitting), with some open water work later in the season. Runs will be done at Lake Johnson (Lake Damn Road Entrance), and I intend to run Tu-Thu-Sat mornings at 6:00 a.m. with the group at Cafe Carolina, Cameron Village. I'm going to try to do the group rides at IOS, but a lot of these will be rides with specific goals in mind (Hill Climbing, Gearing, staying Aero, power transfer, etc.). Rainy day workouts will be treadmill/trainer.

Also, I'll be logging with Strava, so any other athletes on there shoot me a follow or friend request. Profile: http://www.strava.com/athletes/294475

The plan is based on the book "Your First Triathlon" by Joel Friel; The Olympic plan with a cycling emphasis.

Shoot me a PM or text/call me at 919 - SixSevenFive - 2379 if you're interested in doing some training together. I'd love to get a regular group going.
2014-02-15 4:24 PM

User image

Just saw your post on BT. I'm training for Beaverdam as well as IM 70.3 Raleigh. I live fairly close to Beaverdam/ Falls Lake and try to go out and bike and/or ride the course for training. Generally this is on weekends as I have an odd work schedule during the week. Let me know if you ever want to meet up out there and train any. Best of luck training!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » North Raleigh Training Partner - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Apex area training partners?

Started by smoom
Views: 1444 Posts: 6

2013-01-04 10:55 AM doublej

Newbie looking for training partner

Started by jwillett1
Views: 1317 Posts: 4

2010-12-15 7:19 AM johnkav

international/olympic distance in Aug 08?

Started by monroeduck
Views: 1001 Posts: 13

2007-10-30 8:56 AM tripastor

Kerr Lake Olympic Distance Triathlon

Started by kapinto
Views: 2588 Posts: 11

2007-06-02 12:46 PM kapinto

Durham, NC Training Partners

Started by bschro01
Views: 1181 Posts: 2

2005-10-16 1:03 PM jenneunc
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
The pros and cons of training with a group or training partner

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : December 4, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 5
I really want to do an Olympic distance but I feel it is a little too far right now. Which training plan should I follow? The sprint sounds too easy for what I'm doing but the Olympic seems too much?

date : October 20, 2008
author : EnduRight
Training is often a lonely proposition and sometimes we are our own worst enemies. Finding good training partners can provide you with that extra external motivation to bring out your best.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 3, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on getting faster than 1:35/100m, IM swim training, counting strokes and improving an Olympic distance swim.
date : August 7, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 3
After your first triathlon, how many days off should you take to rest? How should you start your training again?

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.