Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-13 7:22 AM

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
Subject: The Kona live coverage
Hey folks,

Did any of you watch the live coverage on ironman.com? If so, what did you think of it?

I am asking because I thought it was horrible. The commercials are one thing, but the awkward, terrible, exhausting and sometimes downright disgusting constant mentions of their sponsors and their shi*ty products... jesus christ. When there was around 30'ish minutes left of the run for Van Lierde they went on about a blender. A blender!? Are you serious now.

I think the IRONMAN brand needs to reevaluate itself. It's turning into the sad McDonalds of the triathlon world. The individual races also get less and less individual and interesting because the IRONMAN brand insists that the overall experiences are exactly the same for each race.

Thoughts?

2013-10-13 8:17 AM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-10-13 8:17 AM
2013-10-13 8:20 AM
in reply to: Dnn

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: The Kona live coverage
This was my first year watching so I wasn't sure what I was going to get. Overall it was better than expected. Sure it was a little raw and not the slickest production but I enjoyed it much more than watching the usual network version that airs in Nov/Dec. I watched it all day from the start until the women's pro finish.
The ads I thought were a little funny...them trying to push their products disguised as race reporting.
2013-10-13 8:20 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Newsflash!  When sponsors pay money for advertising, they want their stuff mentioned.

Agreed on the blender - that was over the top.

Overall, I thought the coverage was decent.  I thought it was cool that they were posting the pros power data right after they finished the bike.  Could it have been better?  Sure, but not bad IMO.

2013-10-13 8:27 AM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I watched parts of the coverage.  I found it very annoying to have to see the same ads each time I logged back onto the page. There would be some decent coverage then a bunch of repetitive ads for the same sponsors.   I get it that Specialized and Sugoi are IM branded sponsors--but at least give a couple of different ads.

Yeah, I caught the blender bit and have to wonder what makes the IM branded smoothie blender any better than the one you get with the Ninja system? And really, the timing was just plain dumb.  VanLierde looked so strong and they broke coverage of him --or any other racers to talk about a blender?  Guess it's the marketing of the brand.  We know that only those with an interest in this sport are watching live feed coverage as opposed to waiting for NBC's watered down version in a couple months when there is nothing else to show cause college football playoffs are ready for their bowl games.  Guess they felt like anyone who would glue themselves to a computer for live feed would hop right over to the IM store on line to order the same stuff they claim the pros use.  In a way, that's what a lot of us AG'ers do --pros have power meters and such..."gottta get one"  Name the device that the pros have and you will find dozens of AG'ers lined up to get those same things.  Is it always necessary?  Maybe not for those of us who will never make a living in the triathlon world....Does it help?  Guess some of that data is useful IF one knows how to use it properly.

2013-10-13 9:33 AM

Extreme Veteran
I watched. The ads didn't bother me--an 8-17 hour race just isn't exciting every minute so it was okay and as mentioned, it pays the bills so we can watch.
I was disappointed in the coverage of the women's race though, especially after the men's champion crossed the line. There's still a race going on--there's plenty of time for interviews.

2013-10-13 9:34 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

Champion
Calgary
Having watched the live coverage for 4 or 5 years I can't help but be impressed. I wasn't glued to the screen, I had it streaming on my phone so I mostly was just listening. I thought it was great. As for the adverts, bring 'em. And I am no lover of WTC or the Ironman brand, as such I have a suspicion that they do not care what you or I think.
2013-10-13 9:47 AM

Veteran
Tucson
Well, I thought it was funny. Do they really think that those of us sitting at home are gonna rush to get thier stuff? I don't know. I think most of us are smarter than that. I do agree that those dang adds that you had to watch every time you logged on were annoying. I watched bits and pieces through out the day and mostly enjoyed it. I watched the beginning and then went to the pool and tore it up! Best work out I have had in ages. My hubby stopped in the computer room once while I was watching and said it was like watching paint dry. Lol.
2013-10-13 11:38 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Veteran
Mooretown, Ontario Canada

Newsflash!  When sponsors pay money for advertising, they want their stuff mentioned

Exactly.........I wonder if everyone complains about commercials while watching regular TV also.
It was free, and you get what you paid for. Overall, better than not seeing any of it.
2013-10-13 11:49 AM

I thought it was great. If anything the snowboarding Yeti disturbed me more than the blender.

Still trying to shake that one off.

2013-10-13 12:09 PM
in reply to: FishHog

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
Originally posted by FishHog

Newsflash!  When sponsors pay money for advertising, they want their stuff mentioned

Exactly.........I wonder if everyone complains about commercials while watching regular TV also.

Of course I do and I have thrown my TV out because I got sick of commercials. I use adblock on my PC as well. People should read books instead.

I appreciate the service and the live converage is a great thing to have, but the quality of the whole thing could really be a lot higher. They should have enough money for it.

It was free, and you get what you paid for. Overall, better than not seeing any of it.

This mentality is the reason we get so many low quality products. "Hey, my product does suck, but at least it's better than nothing, right?".

2013-10-13 12:43 PM

Michael Lovato talks way too much. A 10 or 20 second comment takes him 2 minutes.
2013-10-13 12:58 PM

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by Dnn

Originally posted by FishHog

Of course I do and I have thrown my TV out because I got sick of commercials. I use adblock on my PC as well. People should read books instead.

I appreciate the service and the live converage is a great thing to have, but the quality of the whole thing could really be a lot higher. They should have enough money for it.

This mentality is the reason we get so many low quality products. "Hey, my product does suck, but at least it's better than nothing, right?".

I can't believe I am defending the WTC here. Their race day coverage has gotten better year after year. The logistical nightmare that it is to cover this race has been evident in years past to anyone who has watched. I think it will be many more years before they have it perfected, but they are on their way.
2013-10-13 1:03 PM
in reply to: BigDH

The America's cup sailing coverage this year was a lesson in how to innovate sports coverage. I hope the WTC are really trying to improve their coverage and not just milk it for as much cash as they can in the face of increasingly high quality competition.

Enough people fall for the hype that is the Ironman brand and believe this is a genuine world championships for now but more and more people are catching on that it's just another long distance triathlon that costs five times as much as the others.

I want the IM brand to survive but I'm not seeing a sustainable strategy right now. I'm seeing a brand that relies on middle aged narcissism and consumerism.
2013-10-13 1:27 PM
in reply to: Dan-L

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-13 2:13 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
, California

I want the IM brand to survive but I'm not seeing a sustainable strategy right now.

All those races that sell out the day registration opens... yeah completely unsustainable.

2013-10-13 2:22 PM
in reply to: spudone

Originally posted by spudone

I want the IM brand to survive but I'm not seeing a sustainable strategy right now.

All those races that sell out the day registration opens... yeah completely unsustainable.

2013-10-13 3:17 PM

For the most part I thought the coverage was good. The adverts don't bother me, I really don't pay attention. I do like having the blog along side the video. My one criticism would be the lack of video coverage of the women's race, particularly the run, with Rinny ripping through the field. She was super impressive yesterday.
2013-10-13 3:30 PM
in reply to: BigDH

Master
Guilford, CT
Agree with BigDH, I've been watching and following online the past 5 years or so (or trying to) and it has been getting better and better. They did a good job and had some good insight and Matt gets better and better.

I do agree that they cover a little bit too much of the men when they should be flashing back to the women more, especially when it is evident something historic is happening in the women's marathon.

I guess some people are never satisfied and the world isn't perfect but I was happy to see the race without the feed dropping out constantly and I felt like I saw quite a bit of the action. Who cares they have some lame ads. That is business. You don't like you don't watch.
2013-10-13 3:34 PM
in reply to: 5stones

I could do with fewer commercials but I get it. One thing I wish they would incorporate is more real time data. How hard is it to get real time positioning for the pros and other metrics such as current bike speed or run pace?
2013-10-13 3:48 PM
in reply to: tb1000

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by tb1000

I could do with fewer commercials but I get it. One thing I wish they would incorporate is more real time data. How hard is it to get real time positioning for the pros and other metrics such as current bike speed or run pace?

I believe they did something like what you are suggesting in XTERRA Championships...the racers had to carry a GPS tracker.

I know they were having the top people wear them, but not sure the details bc I was in the race, but no tracker for me..too slow! LOL.

2013-10-13 3:50 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by Dan-LThe America's cup sailing coverage this year was a lesson in how to innovate sports coverage. I hope the WTC are really trying to improve their coverage and not just milk it for as much cash as they can in the face of increasingly high quality competition.Enough people fall for the hype that is the Ironman brand and believe this is a genuine world championships for now but more and more people are catching on that it's just another long distance triathlon that costs five times as much as the others.I want the IM brand to survive but I'm not seeing a sustainable strategy right now. I'm seeing a brand that relies on middle aged narcissism and consumerism.
. I'm trying to 'read between the lines' but I'm sensing that you aren't a fan of WTC and the Kona race?

I really like Kona and I've really enjoyed the races that the WTC have laid on that I've done - but I think they need to think more broadly than they do at the moment - and if they do that I think we can have a better, more accessible sport.

When I look at brands like Challenge, I think they're more innovative, represent more value and could build a product that see's athletes who do long distance triathlon over several years preferring to race with them.
2013-10-13 3:55 PM
in reply to: spudone

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
Originally posted by spudone

Just because something is popular does not mean it is good. Where else would people go? Besides, America is known for loving brands and commercials. Coca Cola, McDonalds, IRONMAN... Also, they're a monopoly in the US. At least there's the Challenge Family in Europe, but it seems that there's only IRONMAN in the US and then some small unknown races.

I love that there is live coverage and I am not trying to be more negative than needed, I just think it could be done a lot better. It's good that they are improving, though. This is only the second year I watched it live.

2013-10-13 8:37 PM
in reply to: AZ_Tri

New user
New Hampshire
Originally posted by AZ_Tri

I thought it was great. If anything the snowboarding Yeti disturbed me more than the blender.

Still trying to shake that one off.

You had to bring that up, I'm afraid to go to bed for fear that the nightmares will continue.
Can I drink any old chocolate milk or does it have to be Refuel?
I blame NASCAR.
2013-10-13 9:58 PM

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Dnn

Hey folks,

Did any of you watch the live coverage on ironman.com? If so, what did you think of it?

I am asking because I thought it was horrible. The commercials are one thing, but the awkward, terrible, exhausting and sometimes downright disgusting constant mentions of their sponsors and their shi*ty products... jesus christ. When there was around 30'ish minutes left of the run for Van Lierde they went on about a blender. A blender!? Are you serious now.

I think the IRONMAN brand needs to reevaluate itself. It's turning into the sad McDonalds of the triathlon world. The individual races also get less and less individual and interesting because the IRONMAN brand insists that the overall experiences are exactly the same for each race.

Thoughts?

I actually rather enjoyed the coverage. Maybe the advertising for that blender helped make the live coverage possible. I would rather watch it with some ads than not get to watch it at all.

Are 'you' willing to shell out some $ for a commercial free broadcast? I'm not. Or at least I'm glad that I don't have to.

McDonalds has over a billion served, maybe last year alone. Quality s pretty good. Franchisees make boat loads of money. I suspect a lot of businesses wish they would be compared with McDonalds......
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Kona live coverage Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Kona Live Coverage???

Started by jgerbodegrant
Views: 1153 Posts: 4

2010-10-02 1:38 PM Dino019

nyc mary live coverage

Started by sappho96
Views: 887 Posts: 5

2007-11-04 1:19 PM possum

Kona TV Coverage??

Started by jccbulldog
Views: 1336 Posts: 5

2006-10-17 6:28 PM Carl Sohn

Velonews Live Coverage of Tour de Georgia

Started by tech_geezer
Views: 807 Posts: 2

2005-04-22 5:32 PM zakk

*LIVE* Olympic Triathlon Coverage

Started by aphoric
Views: 912 Posts: 13

2004-08-15 1:15 AM aphoric
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 26, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Highlights of Beginner Triathlete Members at the Ironman World Championships

date : October 7, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
A look at Beginner Triathlete members racing in Kona from qualifying to training to family.
date : November 12, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Four Kona athletes give us their race stories.

date : October 20, 2010
We interview several age-groupers pre-race on their Ironman Kona race thoughts.
date : September 26, 2009
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.

date : July 10, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : October 24, 2004
author : BrianPBN
I can't say it enough, the feeling of treading water for that final minute, helicopters over head, Mike Riley's Iron-voice over the P.A. - just awesome. I cannot believe I'm here!