General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chemo and IM Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-14 5:33 AM

Subject: Chemo and IM Training
Hello:

I am about to begin a six month course of chemo. I am bound and determined to continue full steam ahead with training for next year's roster of events (2 half marathons, 2 marathons, 1 HIM, IMWI and my first Olympic with two of my daughters for fun). Ambitious under any circumstance but not sure how this will work with chemo. Fortunately the course of treatment will be over the winter months. The drugs I will be given are targeted monoclonal antibodies and not the kind that kills every fast growing cell causing considerable suffering to the recipient. Hopefully it won't be terrible.

Has anyone continued training under these conditions? What did you do to maintain strength? Any tips to offer a newbie? Did you get a port or go the vein route? Thoughts on either in terms of training?

Thanks!

2013-10-14 8:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Chemo and IM Training
Hi

There First f all i am sorry you have to under go this treatment. I am commenting to you post just to share first hand experience of my brother. My Bro was a Sub4 Marathoner., but he has to undergo chemo his Oncologist is from UCSF so I assume its the least destructive treatment as possible. I can tell you all my Bro's suffering during the process , but to cut it short he is unable to train and advised against training during Treatment. The whole Treatment took six months and my bro did not train at all. Like you my Bro is more determined to go back into training after the treatment. His CT scan was clear afterwards Went back to training for two months for his first HM my bro finished the race but could not even finish at Sub3 HM, he easily does sub 2 before. Went for training for 3 more months for FullMary and could only finish Sub6.

I Just told my Bro about your post and his best advise is enjoy your time with your family during your treatment, you will need it!!. After you hear the good news and you will hear the good news that the CT scan is clear. Celebrate with your family and reward yourself. Start again with base training ,dont expect on PR yet just to finish start with HM , FullM, HIM , IM.

I will pray for your good health and clear results.

GodBless!!!

Edited by strykergt 2013-10-14 8:51 AM
2013-10-15 5:17 AM
in reply to: strykergt

stryker- Thank you! How thoughtful of you to respond and share your brother's experience. He is a trooper! His experience sounds exactly like my hematologist's wife's chemo and post training experience. She was a 3:30 marathoner before chemo. Took her a year to get back her strength and even then it was slow going. I don't think she ever returned to running with determination.

I have no idea what to expect. I've never been laid up in my life so this will be a new experience.

Congrats to your brother. I wish him the very best in life and that only good will come to him!
2013-10-15 6:18 AM
in reply to: sthoresen

User image

Queen BTich

First off, I'm sorry you and your family are going through this. I know it's a scary, anxious time. The advice about spending time with your family is great, and true. As a spouse/caregiver, it takes a toll on your family. My husband and I had many a conversation-that he initiated-during his treatment, where at times he felt it was harder on me and his parents, than himself. He just had to 'deal' with waking up every day and getting treatment, while I had to take care of EVERYTHING: driving, cooking, cleaning, shopping, making sure he is eating, making sure he isn't sick(er), filtering the visitors, etc. It's a heavy burden sometimes. Most of the time it's fine, but comparing to a marathon, there were days that it was the 'wall' and overwhelming.

Interesting point the other poster brought up: what does your Dr. say? My husbands team were fully supportive of him working out (no marathons or very hard efforts, but he could do what he was capable of) on his treatment cycle, but he could do whatever he wanted on his recovery cycle. Have you asked your team what is appropriate levels of activity during treatment? In my experience, they encourage to do as much as you can, but that's not always the case.

ANYWAY....that's not what you wanted to hear, my apologies! hahaha. Guess I needed to get that out.

His treatment was 13months. 1 week on, 3 off. He got it the first week of every month. By day 2-3 he wasn't that functional to do anything but laying around the house until mid-way through the second week. He couldn't really even attempt to workout. If we 'went out' or he had to do something, he would require a nap. Around the 12-14 day mark, he'd feel a whole lot better and would start light workouts or walking. Then, he'd workout as much as he could (not hours or anything) the 2 weeks of 'recovery' before starting the next cycle. He'd ride his bike, run, lift weights, try to eat a lot more to keep from losing too much....

At the end of the last treatment, Feb. 2012, he ran the Livestrong Marathon. 2 weeks after his last chemo treatment, post-2 surgeries in 2 years. He ran a 3:33, taking 3rd in the Cancer Survivor category. He's now considering trying to qualify for Boston. He did the Double Ironman relay this year and is training for it again. So, overall, he's gotten it all 'back'.

His treatment seems to be very different than yours, but the experience is still quite similar. Don't resign yourself to being slower. Just do what you can, when you can. Your body needs to HEAL. Staying healthy during treatment is a great gift you can give yourself (we wouldn't go to big public places, or even family gatherings with kids while he was immunocompromised). And finally, while other treatments and cancers may be different, the emotional experience is usually always similar. It's hard for everyone. Don't accept how others fare before/after, your path may be completely different. You could be like my husband, and lose 20lbs, but bounce back quickly and be stronger than before.

2013-10-15 2:47 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Hi,

Welcome to the club of cancer survivors! The one club no one ever thought they would want to join but that is life.

As mentioned in other posts everyone is completely different even if another person is getting the same treatment plan as you they may react totally different.

I can tell you my own story. I was dx with cancer 1 week after Louisville IM and ended up having surgery which required 6-10 weeks of recovery...then had chemotherapy and 2 different types of radiation. Next January will be my 2 yr mark since my last radiation tx.

So how did I manage with exercise? I was determined to do something everyday even if it included walking to the mailbox(after surgery this felt like a Marathon). I did run some but mostly I walked. If I needed to sleep I did, if I wanted to run I did, if I wanted to walk I did. I wish I could have swam but I wasn't medically able to due to high risk if infection for my case. Just ask the doc.

I guess what I am trying to say is, take one day at a time, spend time with the family, friends and be extra good to yourself. Yes! Exercise :-) but don't beat yourself down when u just are tired. Chemo is strong stuff! Respect it and let it do it's job :-)

I did not have a port but I have awesome veins, also my chemo was 6 weeks. Anything longer than that I would have wanted a port.

I am back to swimming and biking. I have struggled with running due to some foot issues...but have no fear! I will do another IM again :-)

Stay strong and many hugs to you on this journey.

Alicia
2013-10-16 5:21 AM
in reply to: trirun26

Thank you!

Comet: your spouse is a rock star! In my dreams I run a 4:00 hour marathon. Really? He ran a 3:33 two weeks after chemo. Amazing. I did ask the doc about training and he said to do whatever I felt like. Of course, he knows better than I what I am in for so it's probably best to let nature take its course and my energy levels dictate exercise.

Alicia: What an incredible story! Two weeks after an IM you still must have been tired. Did you have an inkling something was amiss? Fortunately or not, my cancer is blood cancer so no surgery to excise the demon or radiation. It's chemo or a stem cell transplant.

I got the results of the confirmatory needle biopsy yesterday. Diagnosis remains the same. I will be admitted to the hospital Thursday for round one of treatment Thursday and Friday and go home Friday. The hospital part will only be for this first round since the chemo drug can cause life threatening reactions and has to be given in drips over eight hours. Hopefully I can get some work done and not have a completely lost two days from work.

Everyone here is amazing. Incredible stories of strength.

2013-10-16 4:18 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Originally posted by sthoresen

Thank you!

Comet: your spouse is a rock star! In my dreams I run a 4:00 hour marathon. Really? He ran a 3:33 two weeks after chemo. Amazing. I did ask the doc about training and he said to do whatever I felt like. Of course, he knows better than I what I am in for so it's probably best to let nature take its course and my energy levels dictate exercise.

Alicia: What an incredible story! Two weeks after an IM you still must have been tired. Did you have an inkling something was amiss? Fortunately or not, my cancer is blood cancer so no surgery to excise the demon or radiation. It's chemo or a stem cell transplant.

I got the results of the confirmatory needle biopsy yesterday. Diagnosis remains the same. I will be admitted to the hospital Thursday for round one of treatment Thursday and Friday and go home Friday. The hospital part will only be for this first round since the chemo drug can cause life threatening reactions and has to be given in drips over eight hours. Hopefully I can get some work done and not have a completely lost two days from work.

Everyone here is amazing. Incredible stories of strength.

Good luck with your first round of chemo! Let the "butt kicking begin"

This site was of amazing support to me while I was in treatment.....everyone was amazing specially Kathy G and TriAya who checked on me weekly. Let us know how you are doing and please feel free to message me for any questions :-)

Stay strong, eat well, hydrate hydrate....rest and kick butt!

Alicia
2013-10-16 6:29 PM
in reply to: trirun26

Thanks, Alicia. I check into the hospital tomorrow for round one, which will take two days. Only this first round will require an overnight stay. I have no idea what to expect. I'll let you know! Here's to you continued good health.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chemo and IM Training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training for a IM with a knee injury

Started by Bigdave001
Views: 920 Posts: 5

2012-04-08 6:23 PM QueenZipp

IM training and stress fracture

Started by laurak11
Views: 1104 Posts: 3

2011-04-26 4:54 AM annabananamc

Atrial Septal Defect and IM Training

Started by phulme
Views: 912 Posts: 1

2009-09-29 9:23 PM phulme

Just starting my IM build-up and found a lump in my armpit

Started by LSD
Views: 1633 Posts: 5

2005-02-21 12:45 PM silent

Post Chemo Heart Rate

Started by PhotoRue
Views: 1401 Posts: 2

2005-02-06 10:44 AM Andrea
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.

date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?
date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?
date : July 31, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. This workout is DIFFICULT!!! The weight training portion alone may make you cry.

date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?
date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.