General Discussion Triathlon Talk » race day hydration vs. training hydration Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-27 2:11 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Subject: race day hydration vs. training hydration
So heres my question. I normally dont drink gatorade, but Hammer products on my training rides. Im a borderline diabetic so i stay away from sugars and pops when i can, so gatorade to me is just too strong and i have to dilute it. Hammer products seem to go over easier on me. BUT on race day, what do they ahve out on the course, Gatorade or Gatorade endurance. Im not a fan of carrying waterbottles with me on the run, so i end up taking the gatorade at the rest stops, and sometimes its ok, sometimes it upsets my stomach some. So should i just learn to tolerate gatorade? anyone else with this problem? ( and i did just find gatorade RAIN but havent tested it too much yet)

2006-07-27 2:15 PM
in reply to: #495174

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Subject: RE: race day hydration vs. training hydration
my guess is they wont have gatorade rain out there too but i could be wrong.  Maybe look into a fuel belt?  What distances are you doing?
2006-07-27 2:18 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
yeah but i dunno, i thought maybe since its still in the gatorade family i might be more used to it? i could always take water and gatorade at the aid stations and kind of mix myself. in fact i think i just solved my problem.. haha. kind of. spring and olympic distances im talking about. so carrying waterbottles not exactly a must, but need something out there
2006-07-27 2:21 PM

User image

Huntington Beach, California
I ran into the same situation. I use Hammer products and have sworn of Gatorade, or any other high sugar contant product. This has all worked well for me. Since I know my next race, a HIM has the long run, I bit the bullet and started running with a water bottle, filled with Hammer Heed. For me the benefits of having the bottle have outweighed the somewhat bulky feeling of carrying one. For shorter runs, 5k/10k I plan to just take water, but I need my Hammer nutrition for this race. My suggestion would be to try some training runs with the bottle and see if you can adjust to it.
2006-07-27 3:26 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
In on oly distance race, I don't have trouble carrying enough hydration on the bike. On the run however, I take whatever they offer, which is always water and something else. If I have my own gels with me (I'll frequently take 2 or3 ), I just take a gel and guzzle some water.

For those distances, it seems like youshould be able to figure out how to fule yourself. On the other hand if it's only gatorade thats avaialbe, you need to figure out how to get your body to use it.

Taken in the right amounts, being a diabetic should not be a big factor because you are consuming sugars and replaceing glucogen with glucogen building blocks. It would only be an issue if you were taking sports drinks when you were NOT exercising or immediate post recovery period.

2006-07-27 3:30 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
right, its not the sugar during thats the issue since i need it.. im was just saying that not being used to many sugary drinks/things, i think thats why gatorade is bad tasting to me and messes with my stomach a little more. Im typically good coming off the bike with water on the run, but every now and then i feel like i need a little something else....

2006-07-27 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
I like the Hammer products too, for some of the same reasons.  Gatorade and even some of the other gels give me stomach issues during longer efforts.  What I've done is to mix my Hammer stuff into a thick paste and put it in a hand flask or a little bottle that clips on my belt (www.amphipod.com).  I then sip that with plain water on the course and it works well for me.  Will they only have Gatorade and no water?  If so, you may choose to carry a water bottle, but if not, just try carrying your Hammergel or mixing your powder in a flask.  I got used to carrying a little bottle in my hand very quickly, and Hammer even sells some with finger-grips. 
2006-07-27 4:51 PM

User image

Colorado

I hated the thought of carrying hydration, until I started running in 90+ degree heat. I'm happy with my Camelbak waist pack. No bottles to drop/handle, only the hydration pack that condenses down when you drink, so less sloshing. It's been a life saver for me.

Good luck, however you decide to go.
2006-07-27 5:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
McHenry, IL

Have you tried just Hammergel and water for the run?  Add some electrolyte capsules and you should be good.  That way you're just carrying a gel flask and some e-caps on the run and taking water from the aid stations.

Just doing the math... 4 oz of Hammergel and 2 Succeed caps per hour would give you ~290 calories and ~770 mg of sodium per hour.  One flask of gel should get you through an Oly run, maybe two flasks for a half IM run, maybe 2 more in special needs for an IM run?

-Steve

2006-07-27 5:36 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
because i hadn't trained with infinit drink, i didn't want to use it during my first HIM. instead i bought a two bottle fuel belt and mixed up a potion of efuel, egel, and water. i would take sips of that mix with water at the water stations. this might work well depending on how long the run will take you. if you will finish the oly run in under an hour, you could also try getting in calories on the bike, and just take some electrolytes and/or a gel before the run and just drink water at the aid stations. whatever you decide, test it out prior to race day. best of luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » race day hydration vs. training hydration Rss Feed