General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When do you consider yourself a "True" Triathlete? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-10-14 8:47 AM

Subject: When do you consider yourself a "True" Triathlete?
First off I am in NO WAY trying to belittle anyone's accomplishment at all. I think to get off the couch and do any type of athletic exercise or event is a great accomplishment. That being said my question is for yourself personanly when did you consider yourself to be a "True" Triatlete?

I know from running events the statement has always been if you can run from here to there you are a "Runner". For JUST ME PERSONALLY I didnt consider myself a "True" Runner until I could get along the lines of first running an entire 5k, then progress to get my Half under 2 hrs, and Marathon around 4 hrs. Everyone's ability in different and that was just my "True" Runner barriers to cross when I first started running. I feel personally there is a difference in saying that I do 5k/ Halfs/Fulls and saying I run them. There is also the difference in saying you are a "Competeive or Elite" Runner I feel, but thats not what I am referring to..

So as to be considered a "True" Triathlete. Again anyone that gets off the couch and can swim, bike, and run is a great accommplishment, but In just your personal thoughts when did you consider yourself (or maybe not there yet) a "true" Triathlete? Was it once you cross a Sprint finishline, Olympic, Half Iron, or Full IM? Does it have to do with a Distance with a certain Finishing Time?

2013-10-14 8:55 AM
in reply to: Tripleplay44

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: When do you consider yourself a "True" Triathlete?

Oh......you'll stir up a hornets nest with this one.  HA!!

I'll play anyway.  I did my first triathlon in the mid 80's.  I don't know how many I've done since then....the longest is a HIM.  I have NEVER referred to myself as a "triathlete" in any medium.  I have told people who have asked, yes, I run triathlons.

I used to play softball 2 or 3 times a week.....I wasn't a ballplayer.

2013-10-14 9:06 AM

Are you trying to differentiate between someone who has done 1 or 2 events and then moved on from the sport or someone who has made a longer term commitment to the sport and is actively doing it? For example, I have hiked a mountain before but I don't consider myself to be a hiker. I look at it more as currently being active in that sport/activity and making a commitment to it.

For me, I did four sprints last year of varying distances and felt I was committed at the time because it was new to me but after really buckling down and training for a HIM this year I feel more like a triathlete simply because of the overall commitment I made. This is primarily because of the more disciplined training program I put myself on, the time I put into my training, the constant reading about each sport and how to improve, and then the financial commitment (e.g., new tri bike, HIM registration). To simply this when I walked in my front door and saw two bikes, a giant pile of Hammer gels and Honey Stinger Waffles on my counter, water bottles everywhere, several pairs of running shoes, cycling helmets, pumps, and other gear strewn about my place I considered myself a true triathlete because it had certainly taken over my life. Being a triathlete has made me more of a slob!

That said, I wouldn't argue with anyone who says they are a true triathlete once they cross the finish line for the first time or only do one or two a year, regardless of distance. As long as someone is staying active in the sport and has made a commitment on any level then they are a true triathlete.

2013-10-14 9:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
Hmmmmm, as Left Brain said....this will stir up quite a debate.

Here's my humble opinon......If you say "Hey! We should try one of those triathlons!" without a lot of prep and just complete it without caring about time, splits, etc. I would say you are not a "triathlete" but rather you did a triathlon. If you go out and train, work at learning about triathlons, do more than one and it becomes "part of who you are" then I would say you are a triathlete. I don't think the distance (sprint, oly IM) has any bearing on it.

Just my opinion.
2013-10-14 9:15 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
whiz on yourself on a training run.

Then you're a true triathlete.
2013-10-14 9:23 AM

User image

To me, it's a frame of mind. Right now, I feel like I'm a runner who's learning biking and swimming. When I feel like I'm competent (for me) at biking and swimming and I just need to do fine tuning, I'll call myself a triathlete. I don't think it has anything to do with the distance you do or the speed you go. Triathlete means an athlete in three events. If you feel like you're an athlete in three events, you're in.

2013-10-14 9:31 AM
in reply to: tb1000

User image

Originally posted by tb1000

Are you trying to differentiate between someone who has done 1 or 2 events and then moved on from the sport or someone who has made a longer term commitment to the sport and is actively doing it? For example, I have hiked a mountain before but I don't consider myself to be a hiker. I look at it more as currently being active in that sport/activity and making a commitment to it.

For me, I did four sprints last year of varying distances and felt I was committed at the time because it was new to me but after really buckling down and training for a HIM this year I feel more like a triathlete simply because of the overall commitment I made. This is primarily because of the more disciplined training program I put myself on, the time I put into my training, the constant reading about each sport and how to improve, and then the financial commitment (e.g., new tri bike, HIM registration). To simply this when I walked in my front door and saw two bikes, a giant pile of Hammer gels and Honey Stinger Waffles on my counter, water bottles everywhere, several pairs of running shoes, cycling helmets, pumps, and other gear strewn about my place I considered myself a true triathlete because it had certainly taken over my life. Being a triathlete has made me more of a slob!

That said, I wouldn't argue with anyone who says they are a true triathlete once they cross the finish line for the first time or only do one or two a year, regardless of distance. As long as someone is staying active in the sport and has made a commitment on any level then they are a true triathlete.

I agree with the part about making a commitment, and although I see your point about being currently active, I think there are exceptions. Occasionally I ride with a man who was doing triathlons in the 70s when he lived in southern California and spent a couple decades doing them. Now he has gotten to old to do anything but ride a bike with friends (we try to do at least one ride a week that he can go on), but I would still consider him to be a triathlete. He may not race anymore, but he is a good resource and I think he has earned his bona fides.

I just completed my first season, so I know I am a total newb, but I trained 6 days a week and left everything I had on the course, with two AG awards by the end. I have had a lot of people call me a triathlete. When I talk about myself, I say that I race triathlons because I don't want to sound arrogant, but inside, I call myself a triathlete.
2013-10-14 9:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
I've never considered myself a "triathlete" or used that word to describe myself. Since it contains the word "athlete" and my athletic gifts are limited at best, I just consider myself someone who does triathlons. Frederik van Lierde, Mirinda Carfrae - athletes. Me - schmoe that can do three activities in the same day at a mediocre level.

Edited by Patrick E 2013-10-14 9:40 AM
2013-10-14 9:52 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

Originally posted by Leegoocrap

whiz on yourself on a training run.

Then you're a true triathlete.

If that's the case I was a triathlete long before I ever did a triathlon. I pee a little every time I get excited, like a puppy.
2013-10-14 9:53 AM
in reply to: Patrick E

User image

Pro

I'm a triathlete when I'm training or participating in a triathlon. Otherwise I'm a runner or cyclist - because anyone who's seen me knows I ain't no swimmer

2013-10-14 9:55 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

Originally posted by happyscientist

I agree with the part about making a commitment, and although I see your point about being currently active, I think there are exceptions. Occasionally I ride with a man who was doing triathlons in the 70s when he lived in southern California and spent a couple decades doing them. Now he has gotten to old to do anything but ride a bike with friends (we try to do at least one ride a week that he can go on), but I would still consider him to be a triathlete. He may not race anymore, but he is a good resource and I think he has earned his bona fides.

I just completed my first season, so I know I am a total newb, but I trained 6 days a week and left everything I had on the course, with two AG awards by the end. I have had a lot of people call me a triathlete. When I talk about myself, I say that I race triathlons because I don't want to sound arrogant, but inside, I call myself a triathlete.

Good point on the exceptions and like you I don't call myself a triathlete because it sounds like that is all that I do or that I am awesome at it (not even close). However, I wouldn't take issue with someone who did call themself that. I guess it's no different than someone who plays golf saying they are a golfer, or someone who skis each year saying they are a skiier, or someone who prancercises saying they are a prancerciser.

2013-10-14 9:56 AM
in reply to: stebaldi

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Not only peeing on the bike, but pooing on the run.  Now you are a triathlete.

LOL.  Truthfully, I think you become a triathlete when you do a triathlon.  Seems like the definition is there.

I don't know if I am a "true" triathlete though.  I have changed my entire nutrition, sleeping, focus, attention, actions, finances, and free time to be heatlhier and I would never have do that before triathlons.  Maybe I'm a true triathlete now?

2013-10-14 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC

When you complete a triathlon.  However most people don't seem to know that there are different distance triathlons.  Since I told one of my friends that I had completed a few sprint triathlons he started calling me an Ironman and I can't get him to stop!

2013-10-14 10:51 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

From Websters:

Triathlete -- one who competes in triathlon

Triathlon -- a distance race that has three parts (such as swimming, bicycling and running)

Seems pretty cut and dry to me.  By Webster's definition, you don't even have to finish it.

Someone in this thread said they don't refer to themselves as a "triathlete" but rather as someone who "runs triathlons".  Seems like a bunch of silly semantics to me 

2013-10-14 10:59 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Bronze member

You know you're a triathlete when:

You look all over the kitchen for the cooking spray then remember it's in your race bag.

Your son rides his huffy on the bars in aero position.

Your kids gag when you open the van door because you left your cycling shoes in it all night long.

2013-10-14 11:03 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

NC
Thursday.

2013-10-14 11:12 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I considered myself a "true" runner when I would run anyway: when the weather was crappy, I didn't have an event coming that I was "training for", and I was doing it because I enjoyed it and didn't feel right if I didn't do it.

I consider myself a "true" triathlete because I "train" year 'round -- I enjoy it, only race one or two tri's a year, and don't feel right unless I do something in the form of swim, bike or run most every day.

It's in the soul, not the race course.

2013-10-14 11:17 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

New user
If you do 1 triathlon or more a year then you are a triathlete. If you do 1 Ironman in your life and never do another triathlon you are a triathlete for life.
2013-10-14 11:17 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

New user
If you do 1 triathlon or more a year then you are a triathlete. If you do 1 Ironman in your life and never do another triathlon you are a triathlete for life.
2013-10-14 11:19 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by Leegoocrap whiz on yourself on a training run. Then you're a true triathlete.

What about a training ride? We won't even count a swim

2013-10-14 11:22 AM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Elite

IMHO, if you train for and compete in triathlons you are a Triathlete.

{{{grabbing popcorn}}

2013-10-14 11:24 AM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Pro

I just thought of another one. When more than 50% of your laundry is spandex and tech material.

2013-10-14 11:29 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Left Brain

I'll play anyway.  I did my first triathlon in the mid 80's.  I don't know how many I've done since then....the longest is a HIM.  I have NEVER referred to myself as a "triathlete" in any medium.  I have told people who have asked, yes, I run triathlons.

Yes, you were.  

2013-10-14 11:35 AM
in reply to: mikealti62

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by mikealti62

What if they did a sub-2:00 oly and never raced again? Still a triathlete?

Shane
2013-10-14 11:45 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by Left Brain

Yes, you were.  

I bowl a couple times per year......sometimes I don't break 100....am I a bowler?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When do you consider yourself a "True" Triathlete? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Since this is BEGINNER triathlete, a great article for the true beginner

Started by noelle1230
Views: 1371 Posts: 4

2013-07-05 9:07 PM TriAya

Triathlete Profile holds True Again Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by The Dude14
Views: 9016 Posts: 124

2010-10-24 5:21 PM kathy caribe

Not Considered a Triathlete...just yet

Started by Finley
Views: 1048 Posts: 6

2008-02-10 3:19 PM Finley

Do you call yourself a triathlete? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Irish Stu
Views: 5283 Posts: 89

2005-11-10 3:32 PM Whizzer

Do you consider yourself a "Triathlete"? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by tom39
Views: 3240 Posts: 56

2005-05-14 9:31 PM bmax
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : March 17, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 5
Being a pro triathlete is even more boring than you might have thought
date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.

date : January 20, 2009
author : AMSSM
Information for training as a pregnant triathlete including physiological changes, nutritional and environmental concerns plus certain risks to avoid.
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : November 1, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
From a cycling background to triathlete. A podcast with one of the first BT members about how triathlons allow him that daily satisfaction.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.