General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No interest in anything longer than a sprint...anyone else? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-16 10:45 AM
in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: No interest in anything longer than a sprint...anyone else?
Originally posted by crissy_jo

Originally posted by strykergt

Originally posted by crissy_jo

Also I have a blue bike, so I better stick with the shorter distance. :P

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Rogillio I'm pretty sure Steve Prefontaine never ran a marathon. That's the reason they make red bicycles and blue bicycles.....to each his own.

Red is only the fastest at Long Course?

Crap. I've got to get a new bike. Blue's holding me back.

i dont get this

The above explains the series of bike colors and which color to choose for which event.

kinda funny my slow bike is "Newest Fuji normally comes in red"

My speed Demon is gray which does not say anything at all!!

No wonder i love sprints my Roadie is blue which ill never let go.!!!!

2013-10-16 11:03 AM

User image

Chicago, IL

When I initially got interested in triathlons, it was mostly for the variety of training, having trained/run marathons for a few years.

Now having pushed myself from Oly to HIM to IM, I think I'm going to focus on HIM's going forward. They're sufficiently challenging without being overwhelming, and the training feels like a fitness sweetspot for me. I suspect I'll do another IM in a few years, but for now I'm happy wtih HIM's.

For me, a Sprint is way too much hassle, logistically.

2013-10-16 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4877306

User image

Veteran
Central France
No interest in doing anything but sprints or super sprints. Long and I don't get a long very well and I just don't have the time. I have a full time job, a child who's got her own activities, a husband who has his own business which keeps him mostly out of town ... Even if I wanted to go long, it wouldn't fit in my schedule. I'd have to give up my job, my daughter or my husband!
2013-10-16 11:10 AM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Knowing myself, I'll always be a sprinter. I love race day, but don't love training. I know that with the time I'm able to and choose to devote to training among my other interests and obligations, I know I'll always be prepared for the sprint distance. I don't think i could properly prepare for anything longer. And as well, my body lays down calcium deposits when my mileage is over 7K, so keeping at 5 and below is just good for my well-being. I'm happy with sprints... I can do a few in a summer, get the racing high, and enjoy other pursuits as well.
2013-10-16 4:04 PM
in reply to: jaja63

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana
I may do an Olympic distance one day. All I do is sprints and it will be that way till my son gets older and more independent.

I admit I love going full out fast during a sprint triathlon. That makes it fun to me.
2013-10-18 2:09 PM

Veteran
For me it's age, and the time it takes or my muscles to recover at my age. Also, not enough time to train and not enough time to rest, and all of the stress I deal with in my life. Doing more than a sprint or Olympic would really throw me off balance.

2013-10-18 6:09 PM
in reply to: jaja63

Sprints are it for me right now. Just did my first one and loved it. Second (out of six) in my age group and I "age up" to 50 next year so WATCH OUT central MD ;-)

BTW, has anybody noticed posts where people say that 5 or 10 or whatever seconds per whatever interval really adds up on a HIM or IM, so it is worth doing? Hello, 5 seconds per mile over 12.5 miles gives you the same percentage advantage if everybody is going 12.5 miles. Duh.
2013-10-18 7:24 PM
in reply to: Scomart64

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

For me it's a timing issue.  Mainly as I don't have the time to train for the longer events.  I'm 3+ years into the sport and really enjoy the sprints.  There's a lot to be said for a sport like this wherein 1:30 hour after you go, your loading your gear back into the car and headed home.  I'd planned to do a couple of Oly's this year, but none of them worked out.  I'd like to eventually do a HIM ... mainly as a personal goal but not focus on doing these only.  I still hugely enjoy the sprints and for the most part these are still my 'core' races.

2013-10-18 7:36 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

I've never done a sprint!  I think they'd be a blast but there do not seem to be many around (at least non pool swim sprints) and when they are almost as much as an Oly the bang for the buck seems to take over my thinking.  If there were a local sprint series that ran 50 dollars each and ran through the spring/early summer or something like that I'd be all over it.  

2013-10-19 6:23 AM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Veteran
Sprints for me for the near future. I have gone long, and really enjoyed it. Time and health issues is my problem now. So I am working my way back to sprints again. I will never say never again but that is all I see myself doing next year.
2013-10-19 12:12 PM
in reply to: #4878344

User image

Sprints are great because they can be much more competitive and the atmosphere is usually not as serious. I've done sprints and Olympic but nothing longer yet. I'd like to eventually complete an IM for the accomplishment but don't see myself consistently racing them.

Plus, IMs are expensive!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No interest in anything longer than a sprint...anyone else? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Fans of Matt Long "The Long Run" will be interested

Started by FELTGood
Views: 953 Posts: 4

2012-11-02 2:54 PM TheClaaaw

Anything wrong with a random long bike ride?

Started by Danno77
Views: 910 Posts: 10

2012-05-21 6:19 PM Danno77

hmmm....interesting...anyone use anything like this?

Started by Spanner
Views: 806 Posts: 2

2005-03-22 9:04 PM jtat17

Anyone know anything about the Powerman series

Started by lincsguyus
Views: 602 Posts: 1

2004-09-14 1:50 PM lincsguyus

Anyone have anything to say about Windsor Bikes??

Started by schweihs77
Views: 2472 Posts: 4

2004-04-15 2:08 PM schweihs77
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I only had 6 weeks to prepare, so I pushed myself pretty hard while I was training. After my first figure competition, my trainer had me take a week off just to rest and recoup. Was this needed?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
I recognize that my 45 minute jog Wednesday night does not really count as a ”long” run, but for me it was! Yesterday I felt fine…but man, today the legs are SORE.
date : May 15, 2005
Approximately how long do you think can I reasonably expect to keep making these improvements in speed and performance? I know it has to drop off sometime, I'd just like to have an idea of when.

date : April 17, 2005
My question is on nutrition in a long race. Most intake will occur on the bike, but I'm curious as to the details. I didn't do real well in this area last year and really need to improve.