United States
REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 09m 34s
Overall Rank = 86/387
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/31
Pre-race routine:

Got up early as there was a shuttle involved in transportation from T2 to T1.

Had my usual bagel with peanut butter 2 hours before start of race and my bottle of UCAN 15 minutes before.
Event warmup:

Jumped in and swam 100 yards or so just to get the arms a little warmed up.
Swim
  • 37m 19s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is just not acceptable for me. 37 minutes....really?

I realize I'm not specifically trained for a half and I haven't done much in the last couple weeks but this just won't cut it. Very upset at myself for the time but looking at all the times in my AG the fastest was only 30:xx.

I felt like I was going pretty hard to start it off and thought my pace was somewhat decent. My left leg got grabbed so many times that my chip came out from under my wetsuit. If I didn't have it safety pinned on as well it would have been gone.
Transition 1
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

Second part of the race wasn't any better. Because the chip was now on the outside of the wetsuit it made for a real pain to get the suit off. I was fighting like crazy with the stupid thing.

I decided not to do a flying mount for a couple reasons.
1. Speedbumps leaving T2
2. Hadn't done one all year at any other races.
Bike
  • 2h 39m 53s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Took this too hard and used up a lot of energy on it...paid for it a bit on the run.

About 4 miles in I hit a bump so hard it took me off the aero bars...I thought I was going down and I'm not sure how I didn't! Around mile 6.5 my back tire started acting a little funny and I couldn't tell if it was a flat or if the roads were just THAT bad. I asked a guy I was passing if it was flat and he told me it was. Pulled over and started to get my stuff out but realized I should just check the tire first...it was FINE! Got back on the bike and off I went. ARGH! Wasted time.

At one point the roads were so bad that it launched my last bottle of nutrition and I didn't know it. A guy behind me told me about it...after my little hissy fit the guy next to me said his whole computer came off his bike because of the roads.

It was a water bottle cemetery for 56 miles. They were in the grass, rolling down hills....just every where.

By time I got back to T2 I felt like crap, my back was crazy tight and I wasn't able to do my flying dismount. I did the granny dismount instead.
What would you do differently?:

Not as hard.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

For my position this was a bad transition. Was hard to run with my back so tight to get to my spot. Once there it took a little bit to get the socks and sneakers on.

Grabbed my stuff and out I ran.
Run
  • 1h 49m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Was pretty sore coming out of T2.

Took left went a couple hundred feet and another left to start going up a hill and that was the theme of the run. Hills.

I knew I was in debt from losing my nutrition so I hammered a GU shot right away and stayed on pace for every 20 minutes for the run segment.

I had to walk the aid stations to get water in my system and dump some over my head as well. It was starting to heat up pretty good and my body was dehydrated.

Wanting to qualify for worlds so bad but I was starting to fall apart around mile 7. About mile 9 the energy started to flow a bit again as my body was starting to catch back up.

About 3/4 of a mile from the finish a kid passed me with the age 36 on his calf. This was the AG I was going against for Worlds and I couldn't let him get away. So I started to go with him....asked him what loop he was on. He said 2.

CRAP...how was I going to keep up. I decided to stay shoulder to shoulder with him and push. I encouraged him to keep going...keep fighting for it...don't quit. We rounded the corner for the finish and I just punched it for all I had left in and beat him by 6 seconds.

Come to find out that those 6 seconds made all the difference in me going to Worlds as I took the last qualifying spot for the Long Course Championships in Weihai, China.

The suffering was worth it.
Post race
Warm down:

Chugged some gatorade and sat down!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-09-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:19 | 2112 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/31
Overall: 145/387
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Buoys on your left around a peninsula.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:52
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:39:53 | 56 miles | 21.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/31
Overall: 75/387
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Hills...just lots of hills. Nothing outrageous just lots of climbing 3300' or about that according to my Garmin.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:49:30 | 13.1 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/31
Overall: 86/387
Performance: Average
Course: A couple long hills and a couple short hills. But it's not flat. Ever.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-10-15 9:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Subject: Rev3 Anderson - Half Rev
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Anderson - Half Rev Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Anderson - Half Rev

Started by paxsarah
Views: 1444 Posts: 4

2012-10-21 7:08 AM thecaptin

Rev3 Anderson - Half Rev

Started by wiky
Views: 1965 Posts: 10

2012-10-21 7:03 AM Chris Martin

Rev3 Anderson - Half Rev

Started by ItsSteveOYEAH
Views: 1177 Posts: 1

2012-04-20 9:27 AM ItsSteveOYEAH

Rev3 Anderson - Half Rev

Started by cfib
Views: 2013 Posts: 4

2011-10-14 4:48 PM southwestmba

Rev3 Anderson - Half Rev

Started by matthewwise
Views: 1209 Posts: 1

2011-10-10 3:11 PM matthewwise
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : April 26, 2012
author : AnnabelAnderson
comments : 1
This is an article about attending my first triathlon (as a spectator - I had never entertained the possibility of actually participating one before!), and how inspiring and motivating I found it.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.