General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Questions to ask a Dr. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-15 10:40 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Questions to ask a Dr.
I am getting ready to start training for a Half and then a Full IM. This year I did a few sprint and 2 Oly distances. I was looking to meet with my DR about looking into nutrition and the effects this training will have on my body as well.
For those of you who have been through this training are their any specific or general questions I should be thinking about asking when I head in.

2013-10-15 1:14 PM
in reply to: Nadamson12

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Questions to ask a Dr.

Is your doctor versed in treating endurance athletes and related nutrition issues?
Are you having specific issues you're hoping he/she will address?

Just going in with vague questions to a generalist doctor might not yield the results you're hoping for... in my opinion.

2013-10-15 1:48 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
I think mentioning your current training and future training ambitions (specific to overall volume and time) should alert your doc to check into things he or she might be concerned about. You may get an EKG as a preventative measure to make sure you heart can take the training and to detect any subtle abnormalities that haven't risen yet (although I highly doubt it. This is usually done after a cardiovascular symptom has shown up). I might just ask the doc of any symptoms you should be aware of while training or racing, based off of you and your family's medical history and lifestyle risk factors. I'm no MD, but having an open communication from the start usually helps.
2013-10-15 7:07 PM

User image

New user
My Dr. is an experienced endurance athlete. She has done multiple Oly and 1 Half Tri, along with some Marathons and Mountain biking. I am hoping that her background knowledge of the sports will help guide the conversation.
2013-10-18 8:29 AM

User image

Platte City
My doctor had ran quite a few marathons, so I had the same conversation when I was getting started moving from HIM to full IM distance. He is also pretty big into whole food/veggie eating, so it was a great conversation, and we went well into several other people appointments....

One thing I found interesting, and even a bit useful, was doing a whole bunch of blood tests. Basically, test everything they can. (They took around 5 vials I think). Would have been uber expensive without insurance, but with it was reasonable. Good to know all those numbers anyways to make sure LDL/HDL is good, as well as overall snapshot of your current health. I can dig up what all we tested if your interested, shoot me a PM.

Found I was low in Vit D and magnesium. So, more sunshine and a Vit D and magnesium supplement. After IMAZ, we plan on doing the same round of tests again (about 9 months after initial tests) to see what has changed, Part for curiosity, partly to see what might need to change going forward in my diet.

Doc might recommend a chest ultrasound depending on your age as well to check for any abnormalities.

All of this said, I am not a doctor, so nothing above should be construed as medical advice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Questions to ask a Dr. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Midwest Meltdown questions

Started by someguyinKC
Views: 2639 Posts: 21

2012-08-27 9:36 AM TriJayhawkRyan

Relocating to the Overland Park area...biking question?

Started by msphawkeye
Views: 2463 Posts: 12

2009-10-04 7:25 PM IMHusker

Beginner question on swimming

Started by shannonruth1953
Views: 884 Posts: 2

2008-06-15 8:31 AM kisheo

Local triathlon schedule and race questions

Started by atasic
Views: 2622 Posts: 8

2007-11-09 9:44 AM lisac957

another topeka question

Started by goobergirl98
Views: 1019 Posts: 2

2007-09-12 7:30 PM AdamA
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 9, 2010
author : Dr. Mark Klion
comments : 1
Dr. Mark Klion, NYC Triathlon co-medical director, gives an in-depth discussion on overuse injuries from triathlon training and what do for prevention and healing.

date : March 16, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Learn how ART therapy can provide an alternative treatment for conditions such as sprains, strains, tendonitis and tendinosis.
date : November 4, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Are you a mindless eater? Do you eat too much at meals? Or do you graze throughout the day? Start getting rid of those bad habits today.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : July 31, 2006
author : Ontherun
This is NOT a diet book, but a weightloss book that has helped me change how I see food and the choices I make when I eat.
date : January 29, 2006
Symptoms will vary depending on severity of the injury. Injuries generally occur suddenly and often produce immediate pain at the muscle insertion points behind the knee or in the buttocks.

date : May 3, 2005
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.