General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Miles per week to maintain half marathon fitness? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-16 3:52 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Subject: RE: Miles per week to maintain half marathon fitness?
Not to be different, but ok I will be. For 4x per week

Speed work: 3 or 4 miles.

Long Run: At most 13 to 17 miles or 2:30 minutes, whichever is less (if 17 miles is less than 2:30, then stop, if 2:30 is less than a 13 mile run, then stop).

Tempo work: 1 hour at sustainable pace. Doesn't have to be threshold, but should be up there. Usually translates to 7-9 miles for most athletes.

Fun run: No metrics, no pace, just you and the love of the run: 4 to 10 miles.

So 28 to 40 miles.

If adding a 5th run, I'd edge toward a 10k.

Most importantly to maintain: Stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch. And then do some strength work (50 rep ranges) to avoid injuries.

2013-10-16 3:53 PM
in reply to: Pacific John

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Pacific John This thread has been extremely informative. It's definitely going to shape my thinking getting ready for the next HIM. I will say that the thread's general advice sounds safe, strong and fast. I'd also say that if anything, it's likely to produce an HM well ahead of the MOP. I've been fixated on how slow HIM runs are (by people who blow endless cash on gear ). After a bad crash and spike in work load, I did my first HIM at Oceanside with essentially no run training, my only training was a bunch of hiking, and the second one this year on 10mpw (!). No run training = 53% back in the AG, 10mpw=42% back. I see a trend I was surprised this year at the huge parade of runners walking up the last few hills. ... so for me, Mark asked the best question ever. (So thanks, Mark, even though you're bailing on today's swim )

Just food for thought, but keep in mind that your HIM will be paced slower than your HM + you will also have accumulated approximately 3-4 hours of fatigue before you actually start running.  You may want to consider following something in between a marathon and half marathon plan when getting ready for an HIM, otherwise the volume may be inadequate.

2013-10-16 3:55 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by Pacific John This thread has been extremely informative. It's definitely going to shape my thinking getting ready for the next HIM. I will say that the thread's general advice sounds safe, strong and fast. I'd also say that if anything, it's likely to produce an HM well ahead of the MOP. I've been fixated on how slow HIM runs are (by people who blow endless cash on gear ). After a bad crash and spike in work load, I did my first HIM at Oceanside with essentially no run training, my only training was a bunch of hiking, and the second one this year on 10mpw (!). No run training = 53% back in the AG, 10mpw=42% back. I see a trend I was surprised this year at the huge parade of runners walking up the last few hills. ... so for me, Mark asked the best question ever. (So thanks, Mark, even though you're bailing on today's swim )

Just food for thought, but keep in mind that your HIM will be paced slower than your HM + you will also have accumulated approximately 3-4 hours of fatigue before you actually start running.  You may want to consider following something in between a marathon and half marathon plan when getting ready for an HIM, otherwise the volume may be inadequate.

Agree. I find a 17 mile long run just right for training for the run portion of an HIM. But that's just me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Miles per week to maintain half marathon fitness? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Maintain half marathon fitness

Started by harmonjh
Views: 1509 Posts: 3

2013-05-04 9:21 PM bzgl40

how many miles per week before you could "comfortably run a half

Started by mkarr0110
Views: 2866 Posts: 23

2010-08-30 10:31 AM KSH

How Many Runs Per Week To Increase Fitness/Avoid Injury

Started by supa-powa
Views: 4287 Posts: 10

2009-07-29 11:00 PM JorgeM

Minimum # of bikes per week to maintain fitness

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 952 Posts: 5

2009-06-21 2:03 PM Daremo

Half marathon on 2 runs per week?

Started by tkbslc
Views: 1557 Posts: 22

2007-09-20 4:47 PM browncd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
How important is it to decrease your stroke count?

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.