General Discussion Triathlon Talk » long run hydration Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-15 9:34 PM

User image

Subject: long run hydration
was wondering what yall do for hydration for long runs. do yall carry a water bottle, use the water bottle with the hand slot, or have a hydration belt. I am wanting to start lengthening my runs to train for a HIM, with house water and a water fountain at a nearby school i can go up to 5 miles without carrying something. I really dont like having anything in my hand while i run so i am leaning towards getting a belt! any thoughts?

2013-10-15 11:19 PM
in reply to: sharkbait!

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: long run hydration
I use a 4 bottle Amphipod belt. Used a 2 bottle Fuel Belt for up to Half distance. Not crazy about the weight bouncing on my back, but it beats running loops near water or carrying.
2013-10-15 11:23 PM

User image

I carry a water bottle with me on most of my runs. Like many things you will get use to it after you do it long enough. I use an insulated sleeve with a strap as you mentioned that I just slide my hand through. You can get them at Walmart for a few bucks or you can get the Camelback version for like $14. 

I also carry one on the run when I race. Two things I like about it, 1. I seem to pass a lot of people at the water stations, 2. I can drink a little at my leisure rather than have to grab and gulp at the aid stations. 

Oh, something to consider if you do go the bottle route, rather than just using it on your long runs, get use to carrying it on your shorter runs, try just filling it up half way. I bet after a week or two of this you'll forget you have it in your hand,,,,,,,, until you get thirst.

2013-10-15 11:40 PM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I've used both a two bottle and four bottle Fuel Belt and they were ok but I now prefer a small Nathan pack.  Not only is it great for my fluids but it has two vest pockets that are perfect for my gel flasks.  I can also carry keys, phone, rain jacket, etc.

2013-10-15 11:58 PM

User image

Pro

I use a 4 bottle Amphipod belt.  But that's still only good for 15 miles or so.  So, for longer runs I'll need to run by someplace with water or leave a bottle along the route.  

2013-10-16 1:23 AM
in reply to: #4877966

i don't like having anything in my hands while running, so if it's a 16-18 km run i can go without water, otherwise, especially when i do bike+run session i set up a course where i can find fountains along the way.

2013-10-16 3:25 AM
in reply to: NormaJean

User image

I don't like carrying something or having it round my waist so I do one of two things; I either wear a camelback (especially if I'm running off road and across trails) or just take some money and stop at a shop to buy some water. The later might freak out the detailed people but I found stopping for a couple of minutes to buy and drink the water didn't make any difference to the overall session. I found I gained some things too - starting after stopping can be difficult and it broke my rhythm so that took some focus to get back.

Camelback obviously adds some weight but for the longer runs where I need them I'm running slow anyway.
2013-10-16 3:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
For runs of about 80 minutes or less (10-ish miles), I use a Nathan waist pack that holds a 600 ml bottle. It also has a little pouch for keys, etc. It fits really well with no chafing or bouncing. That's a rare find for me as I have a small frame and a small waist relative to the rest of me. There's enough extra belt on the waist to go around two of me! Very adjustable. For runs over 90 minutes, I use an REI pack called a Double Shot (holds two 600 ml bottles). My old one is moldy and the zipper no longer works on the gel/key pouch so I replaced it with the newer model but it doesn't fit well. Hoping to track down one of the two bottle Nathan waist packs soon as their fit seems to work for me. Don't know about others' hydration needs but the 1200 ml generally gets me through my longest runs, which are about two hours, even in the tropics. If conditions are unusually hot/humid I'll sometimes stop at home or my gym to refill, or buy a bottle of water or Revive (local sports drink) to refill en route. Tap water isn't drinkable so I have to be self-supporting for hydration.

Edited by Hot Runner 2013-10-16 3:32 AM
2013-10-16 5:10 AM
in reply to: #4877966

User image

Elite
I use a 4 bottle fuel.belt and if I need more I plant a bottle in my mailbox on the street and swing by to refill
2013-10-16 6:54 AM
in reply to: FELTGood

I really don't like the bouncing of a hydration belt and will only use it if it is very hot.

There is a park a few miles from my house with water fountains, and I will incorporate it into my route if I am going long, that and/or looping back to the house for a water bottle I will leave in the newspaper slot below my mailbox.
2013-10-16 6:56 AM
in reply to: ImSore

I've also stopped off and drank the tap at any public place I can find, including gas station restrooms, but that is only where I plan poorly and really really need to hydrate.

2013-10-16 7:17 AM

User image

Melbourne, Florida

My personal rule of thumb is no water for anything under an hour. Longer runs I wear a hydration belt. Not only is it good for water, but I also carry gel, my phone, plastic bags, and wet wipes. A lot can happen after an hour of running. In my last 2-hour run, I went through 3 gel packs and 18 oz. of water.

2013-10-16 8:18 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Originally posted by popsracer

I've used both a two bottle and four bottle Fuel Belt and they were ok but I now prefer a small Nathan pack.  Not only is it great for my fluids but it has two vest pockets that are perfect for my gel flasks.  I can also carry keys, phone, rain jacket, etc.

Love the Nathan pack.
2013-10-16 8:23 AM
in reply to: vertseven

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by vertseven

My personal rule of thumb is no water for anything under an hour. Longer runs I wear a hydration belt. Not only is it good for water, but I also carry gel, my phone, plastic bags, and wet wipes. A lot can happen after an hour of running. In my last 2-hour run, I went through 3 gel packs and 18 oz. of water.

I like the 2 bottle fuel belt. You can carry 20oz and in my case it only took a couple of 10k session to get used to the weight on my back/hips. Almost all have a pockets for phone/keys and some belt models have elastic loops for gels which you can also put a stubby bottle through if you want a little extra (drink it first and discard).
2013-10-16 8:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have the Nathan 4 bottle belt. No bouncing with it.
2013-10-16 8:44 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
I've tried both a hand-carry bottle and a 4-bottle fuel belt. I didn't like either one for various reasons.

When I was training for my last HM I planned my route around some public parks with water fountains. I also carried a ten dollar bill so I could make a quick dash into a convenience store and to buy a bottle of water or Gatorade, which I would then discard in a trash can along my route when I finished it.

Mark

2013-10-16 10:15 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Even for short runs (3-6 miles) I carry a small hand held bottle, I like having something to sip on as I run. For longer runs I use the Nathan "triangle" belt with a 600ml bottle as well, it only took a couple of runs to get used to it. So far I've managed to almost master transferring my beverage of choice (usually Fluid) from the larger bottle into the hand held while still jogging without too much splashing.

2013-10-16 10:21 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Seattle

How you carry your water will certainly be a personal preference, and there are a lot of fantastic suggestions here.

One thing I would add would be to think about hydration as not just something you do during the run, but something you do before and after (and quite honestly, always.) I am sure to hydrate well every day, beefing up the amount I drink  the day or two leading up to a long run (anything over 16 miles.) When it's cooler, I can complete the majority of the long run without stopping for water If I am well hydrated coming into the run.

2013-10-16 10:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
i recently got the Camelback hydration belt with really good quality bottles. Very reasonable and works great. More stable than some i've had in past.
2013-10-16 10:55 AM
in reply to: taylorz13

User image

Austin

After a bout of kidney stones earlier this year, staying hydrated all the time is something I have learned to do.

So if its 3 miles I don't carry water.

Ifs its 6 to 3.5 miles I run with a handheld that has a hand strap and a small pouch for my phone.

For runs longer than 6 miles I run with my big 65oz camel back. If the run goes past 10 miles I will stop and top off the camel back at some point.

But then again this is for my runs in the heat of central Texas. As the cold weather arrives I don't need nearly as much water.

Good luck on finding your hydration balance.

2013-10-16 11:15 AM
in reply to: jetsers

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
I like lots of hydro. For me it depends on the weather and time running. I ran with camelpak for years but now have a Salomon and won't go back. Hot = pack; not so hot = hand bottle with strap for short runs (<2hrs), pack for longer. The pack is nice because I can put water in the bladder, have a bottle of gatorade in the bottle holster and fuel, epi-pen, phone in the pockets. It's very comfy.

2013-10-16 12:00 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
There are lots of great (and varied) responses here...so the take home lesson is: it really depends, person to person.

I started out with a Nathan belt. It had 2X10oz bottles. I used it for 1 20 mile run. I could not get it tight enough not to bounce until it was so tight, it cut into my lower back...ouch. I sold it to a friend, and he loves it.

I then started running with a few different handhelds, first the amphipod 20, then a nathan 20oz quickdraw. I like the Nathan better since it has the pocket for my phone and a couple gels. It took me 5-10 runs before I stopped noticing the bottle. You'll start out constantly switching it between your hands. Now I use that bottle for 8-16 mile runs and keep it almost always (80+%) in my left hand. It doesn't bother me anymore and since I'm a righty, I figure it is balancing strength training. If it is a hot day, I make sure to loop around by water fountains.

For long trail runs (15+) without water refilling options, I got the ~$50 nathan 2L pack. I mainly use it without the bladder if I want to run home from work, but need to carry more than what fits in a SPI belt. It doesn't slosh or shift if you keep the straps tight.

But, watching people around town, the hydration belts seem to be the clear winner in popularity. Either their hips fit the belts better than me, or they couldn't get past the hump of carrying the uncomfortable handheld.

Good luck with your HIM!
2013-10-16 1:00 PM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

Orange, CA
I just use a generic water bottle on my longer runs. I enjoy being able to sip as I go. It doesn't seem to bother me like I was expecting (as long as it is in my right hand. Bottle in my left hand feels extremely uncomfortable for some reason). I only use it when it is hotter or I think I am not as hydrated as I should be starting off. On really hot days I will use the water bottle even for a 2 mile run. I have a cheap hydration backpack, but it isn't very comfortable so I only ever tried running with it a couple times, I didn't like the bouncing.
2013-10-16 4:53 PM
in reply to: Gloomba

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I don't like carrying or the belt thing. I don't mind "laps" of the same run path where I live so I carry a hand held bottle for about 1.5 miles when I head out, chuck it near a tree, then pick up when I pass by. I"ll do two passes on longer runs. I use a cheap plastic bottle in case someone decides to take it from my "spot" by the tree. Hasn't happened yet.

If the temp is under 75 degrees I can go 10 miles or so without water, but that of coure depends on how well you hydrate the days before.
2013-10-16 5:09 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I start using a water bottle system over 10 miles.

I really like the Ultimate Direction Access single bottle waist pack. Doesn't bobble around and is very comfortable.
I've tried lots of others, but this one is great for road or trail.

however, a single bottle on a hot day will only get you so far, you'll still need to have water stops built in on your route or put on the dreaded camel back.

here's the Access...
http://www.ultimatedirection.com/p-548-access.aspx
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » long run hydration Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

keeping hydration cool on long runs

Started by rjrankin83
Views: 1279 Posts: 16

2013-05-14 2:55 PM Batcheldor

Half Marathon and long run hydration belt =) Pages: 1 2

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 3950 Posts: 28

2011-10-21 12:10 PM Lesandtj

Long Run Hydration - What Do You Use? Pages: 1 2

Started by Makukula
Views: 1935 Posts: 33

2008-09-18 11:38 AM WaterDog66

Long run hydration

Started by matthewjt
Views: 942 Posts: 16

2006-05-01 4:16 PM ChuckyFinster

hydration on longer runs

Started by autumn
Views: 900 Posts: 21

2004-10-08 11:53 PM waterfordhunter
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 18, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 7
Looking for a liquid hydration system for your runs? We review the unique Amphipod RunLite 4 belt hydration system. Other than a few small issues, it has performed well.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.
date : October 17, 2004
author : BrianPBN
Well the day is finally here. I don't believe a single workout has gone by in these past 9 years where the idea of being at the start line of the Ironman Hawaii didn't creep into my head.

date : October 10, 2004
So far the taper is feeling good and I'm getting that itchy feeling to race. I know this will grow even stronger when I get to the island and see my friends and PBN Team members.  
date : October 3, 2004
Definitely glad this weekend is out of the way as 145 miles of cycling and 27 miles of running in two days is a fair amount.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.