General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Half-Marathon in NYC? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-16 12:48 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Best Half-Marathon in NYC?
Looking to build the HM calendar for next year. NYC has bunch of races but nothing from Rock n Roll series.

Any suggestions to pick a 13.1? Nothing too hilly? Moderately flat will be good and want some good scenery.

2013-10-16 7:24 AM
in reply to: ironbaby

Subject: RE: Best Half-Marathon in NYC?
Hi there,
Check out the NYRR race calendar page:http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/2013
There are a lot of 1/2. I almost did them all this year and I found Brooklyn 1/2 being the flattest (only 1 hill). It fills up in hours, so if you elect that one, you have to be SUPER fast at signing up.
An other site that you may want to check out is:http://nycruns.com/
The narrow half, or anything they have next to the verrezano bring is super flat and fast.
cheers,
c
2013-10-16 8:30 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Brooklyn, obviously....

Seriously, I've only done Brooklyn and Greta's Great Gallop. Greta's is nice because it's just two loops of Central Park, so it's very easy logistically, but it's not a very interesting course.

Brooklyn is pretty flat. The route is a little different than the year I did it, but other than the short, steep hill in Prospect Park (which isn't as bad as Harlem Hill in CP), and a long false flat once between the park and Ocean Parkway, it's pretty much dead flat the whole way. Once you pass about mile seven, the only steep incline is the ramp from the sidewalk up to the boardwalk.

They've done a great job of turning the Brooklyn Half into a marquee event. The pre-race stuff is really fun, and the energy around the race itself is amazing. I love the Coney Island finish. (My suspicion is that NYRR wants to add a second full marathon to their schedule and they're testing the waters in Brooklyn. The hype and the marketing that surrounded the event last year was ten times what it's been int he past, and really felt more like a full than a half.
2013-10-16 8:32 AM
in reply to: cecileO

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by cecileO

Hi there,
Check out the NYRR race calendar page:http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/2013
There are a lot of 1/2. I almost did them all this year and I found Brooklyn 1/2 being the flattest (only 1 hill). It fills up in hours, so if you elect that one, you have to be SUPER fast at signing up.
An other site that you may want to check out is:http://nycruns.com/
The narrow half, or anything they have next to the verrezano bring is super flat and fast.
cheers,
c

Just FYI, they almost doubled the size of the field this year, so the race didn't sell out nearly as quickly as it used to. It's still a popular race, but you don't need to be poised above your keyboard the minute they open registration.
2013-10-16 11:18 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Regular
Is Brooklyn half the best scenery? I am alternatively looking at La Jolla HM (Cali)... 13.1miles does the coast line.

Suggestions?
2013-10-17 11:30 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by ironbaby

Is Brooklyn half the best scenery? I am alternatively looking at La Jolla HM (Cali)... 13.1miles does the coast line.

Suggestions?

Were you talking about HM's in NYC or about anywhere in the US? I thought you were talking about NYC only. I would say that the Brooklyn Half has scenery that is as good as anywhere in the NYC area. There are probably some rural halfs out in CT or NJ and my wife ran one out in the Rockaways that was by the beach, but it depends on what you consider scenic, I guess.

Compared to LaJolla, Brooklyn doesn't come close in terms of scenery. In fact, as much as I love my 'hood, there are probably about a billion HM's around the country with better scenery than the Brooklyn Half.

2013-10-19 2:35 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Regular
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Suggestions?

Were you talking about HM's in NYC or about anywhere in the US? I thought you were talking about NYC only. I would say that the Brooklyn Half has scenery that is as good as anywhere in the NYC area. There are probably some rural halfs out in CT or NJ and my wife ran one out in the Rockaways that was by the beach, but it depends on what you consider scenic, I guess.

Compared to LaJolla, Brooklyn doesn't come close in terms of scenery. In fact, as much as I love my 'hood, there are probably about a billion HM's around the country with better scenery than the Brooklyn Half.

I was talking NYC only because I do a lot of consulting gigs in Manhattan. But I was in SoCal couple of weeks and it was gorgeous there. I thought it would be worth taking a trip to west coast for a race along the coast.
2013-10-24 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Suggestions?

I was talking NYC only because I do a lot of consulting gigs in Manhattan. But I was in SoCal couple of weeks and it was gorgeous there. I thought it would be worth taking a trip to west coast for a race along the coast.

IMHO, the scenery for the Brooklyn Half is the best. I will say that I haven't personally done Queens, Bronx or Staten Island, but I haven't heard good things about them. The NYC half is nice too, if you can get in. I think it still goes through Times Square, which is probably fun. After that, it's mostly along the West Side and it finishes in the financial district. For me, starting in Prospect Park, running down Ocean Parkway and finishing on the Coney Island boardwalk is more fun, but YMMV.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Half-Marathon in NYC? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

NYC Half Marathon : Official Thread

Started by wstchstrTriathlete
Views: 4631 Posts: 22

2010-03-20 4:45 PM Elroy303

Good Shop for a Bike Fit in NYC?

Started by jdevito20
Views: 4592 Posts: 13

2009-10-03 6:52 AM wstchstrTriathlete

Good PT in NYC ?

Started by jdevito20
Views: 2216 Posts: 7

2009-07-23 8:27 PM swmrgrl

NYC Half-marathon

Started by jmk-brooklyn
Views: 849 Posts: 2

2006-11-02 10:20 PM JenBunn1e

NYC Half Marathon This Summer

Started by rollinbones
Views: 1060 Posts: 1

2006-05-01 1:38 PM rollinbones
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.