General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racine vs Steelhead Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-16 8:54 AM

User image

Woodstock, Illinois
Subject: Racine vs Steelhead
I'm considering doing my first half IM and am wondering which event might best suited for a newbie.

2013-10-16 11:11 AM
in reply to: jcwise

Subject: RE: Racine vs Steelhead
Great question, I'm looking into doing one of these races too. I know people who've done both and have positives to say about both. From a newb perspective one of the things I'm taking into consideration is the MI race is a bit later in the season which gives more prep time.
2013-10-16 11:34 AM

User image

Regular
Morton IL
I have heard mixed reports about the steelhed swim, sounds like it is potentially hard.... I know several guys/gals locally that went to Muncie IN this year and really enjoyed it. It is reported to be a very flat bike. Might be worth a look as it is pretty close. I was actually looking at Muncie hard but since I signed on for IMWI I decided to try Route 66 Half Iron in springfield instead.

One thing I always hear about any M-Dot race is they are well run and very well supported.
2013-10-16 12:18 PM

User image

Woodstock, Illinois
I would also welcome what people have to say about Muncie. All 3 of these are close enough that I could do any of them.
2013-10-16 1:40 PM

User image

Schaumburg
My buddy did Racine this year and said it was a good race that was well supported. There were some big waves in the lake though! I am signed up for Racine and it will be my first HIM.
2013-10-16 2:41 PM
in reply to: Paulford8

User image

Chicago, IL

Originally posted by Paulford8 I have heard mixed reports about the steelhed swim, sounds like it is potentially hard.... I know several guys/gals locally that went to Muncie IN this year and really enjoyed it. It is reported to be a very flat bike. Might be worth a look as it is pretty close. I was actually looking at Muncie hard but since I signed on for IMWI I decided to try Route 66 Half Iron in springfield instead. One thing I always hear about any M-Dot race is they are well run and very well supported.

I've completed both of these tri's in the past 14 months.

Both Steelhead and Racine have essentially identical swims:
- Lake Michigan
- both travel in the direction of the current
- Both require a 1mi walk to the start
- Both have the exact same variable - Mother Nature

Steelhead wins for me, on a number of points.
The area is nicer, in my opinion. The bike ride was awesome. Just a really stunning area, nicely shaded, and not heavily trafficked. The run at Steelhead isn't as pretty as Racine, because it's not overlooking the lake. The problem with the Racine out-and-back course is that I found it very boring, and mentally I didn't like passing 100ft from the finish line to start your 2nd loop.

The positives for Racine were:
- Parking on day of race (I was SO much closer, compared to Steelhead)
- It's closer to Chicago

2013-11-24 1:52 PM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

I just signed up for Steelhead half with a coworker. The reason we chose it is because we have known a lot of people to go to Racine, so it should be a nice change of pace. Things I have read to worry about is the parking situation. I guess it is far from the start, but if you have a friend or family member cheering you on, I dont see why they cant drop you off closer to get things set up and going for you.
I have heard there is a college right there and your cheering section can easily see you run by twice.
The swim has been cancelled twice in a decade. But, no biggie since you will be swimming with the current.
Restaurants are not chains, all independently owned. but I plan on bringing my own food anyways!
I heard to stay away from the hotels that are the smaller chains, like motel 6,etc. There are a lot of nice indy owned hotels.
Also, I heard there is a nice vineyard and brewery in the area.

Anyways, maybe I will see you there!
2013-11-25 8:44 AM
in reply to: Chicagobrah

User image

Chicago, IL

Originally posted by Chicagobrah I just signed up for Steelhead half with a coworker. The reason we chose it is because we have known a lot of people to go to Racine, so it should be a nice change of pace. Things I have read to worry about is the parking situation. I guess it is far from the start, but if you have a friend or family member cheering you on, I dont see why they cant drop you off closer to get things set up and going for you. I have heard there is a college right there and your cheering section can easily see you run by twice. The swim has been cancelled twice in a decade. But, no biggie since you will be swimming with the current. Restaurants are not chains, all independently owned. but I plan on bringing my own food anyways! I heard to stay away from the hotels that are the smaller chains, like motel 6,etc. There are a lot of nice indy owned hotels. Also, I heard there is a nice vineyard and brewery in the area. Anyways, maybe I will see you there!

There are several vineyards and breweries in Berrien County, within 30 minutes of Benton Harbor (Round Barn, Tabor Hill, Lemon Creek, etc...)

As for parking - in my experience, it's hard to get too close to get dropped off. As least from the south side of the transition area (I'd assume the north side is equally tough since that's where the run in/out is located).
The parking lot adjacent to the T area is blocked off, and only accesible to volunteers.
When I went to drop my bike off on Saturday, I purchased a spot from the Boy Scouts about 0.5mi from transition, so I knew I would have a spot in the morning.
There is a shuttle which runs from a parking lot about a mile south.
Another option, if you did want someone to drop you off closer, would be to drive up Riddgeway St, and then walk across the sand to the parking lot. That's about 1/4 mile.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racine vs Steelhead Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Steelhead 70.3 im

Started by mpso97
Views: 746 Posts: 2

2011-07-15 9:15 AM mwp1054

Steelhead Hotel Room Available

Started by JLChicago
Views: 847 Posts: 2

2009-07-11 12:56 AM JLChicago

Steelhead 70.3 Anyone??

Started by Arock659
Views: 1805 Posts: 12

2009-07-17 10:29 PM djdjm

Spirit of Racine

Started by nscrbug
Views: 1445 Posts: 12

2008-10-02 7:17 PM nscrbug

Steelhead - ride needed to event

Started by mbaldwi5
Views: 723 Posts: 2

2007-06-19 8:49 AM hangloose
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : October 14, 2010
comments : 0
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.
date : May 24, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on preventing over-rotation, free golf, strength and core training, the importance of the kick and high turnover vs low turnover.

date : April 26, 2010
author : mrakes1
Discussions on good vs bad sugars, fluid loss replacement, clean eating, the Paleo diet and are gels necessary for olympic races.
date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : November 24, 2006
author : bgleich
Steelhead 2006: Swim triathlon wallpaper provided by bgleich.

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.