General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf and Turf Series #3 - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Surf and Turf Series #3 - Short Course - Aquathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Littleton, Colorado
United States
Surf & Turf Aquathon USA
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Typical day at work. Left work ~ 4:15, but traffic was slow the whole way and it was 5:45 when I got there.

There were thunder showers in the area with a stiff breeze come across the lake towards us. The buoy marking the swim turn around came loose and I was was kind of excited for awhile about how much closer it was getting! Then when they were considering cancelling the swim, I was a bit ambivalent about it. The part of me that loathes swimming was saying "Yes!!", but I know I needed the practice and I felt way more confident than I did at the first Surf & Turf, so I would have been disappointed if it had been cancelled.
Event warmup:

Ran a bit, then stood around waiting through the delays.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Transition 1
  • 00m
Swim
  • 23m 15s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 06s / 100 meters
Comments:

Uggghhh!
Well, it wasn't too bad at first and I wasn't really freaked out by the chop or anything. But then my brain just shut down and I started thinking "nope - no way do I want to be out here any longer, where's the shore??". It's hard to pinpoint what caused this, but I think it had to do with looking for the buoy and it just looked so far away. No matter how much I told myself that it's just like swimming X laps in the pool, it just didn't sink in.
Took a brief break when I got out of the water to wade around the buoy. Thought that the way back wouldn't be as bad as the wind was behind me, but about half way back I felt like I was going absolutely nowhere and really struggled to finish. Stasrted to wonder if I could get my wetsuit off in the water and use as a sail??
Ended up doing way more sidestroke and breaststroke than I had wanted to.
What would you do differently?:

1)Find a way to overcome the mental problem I have with the visual distance in OWS
2)Different wetsuit? No wetsuit? I'm finding this one heavy (?) and it was way too warm to be wearing a fullsuit.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Had trouble with the zipper. Took it slow to let my HR come down from the swim
Run
  • 28m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

After the awful swim, I just decided to make this an easy training run and so kept HR in Z1-Z2. Had a nice relaxed run with lots of time to ponder methods of overcoming my OWS demons.
What would you do differently?:

Not blow up on the swim?
Post race
Warm down:

Not much - really wasn't even breathing hard when I finished the run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My brain!

Event comments:

Beieve it or not there were some positives to this race:
1) I've gotten over my aversion to putting my face in cold water
2) The earplugs seem to have done the trick in preventing the motion sickness that had experienced in previous OWS
3) I know specifically what to work on next in terms of OWS

Last updated: 2006-07-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall:
Putting on cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting out of shoes:
Swimming
00:23:15 | 750 meters | 03m 06s / 100meters
Performance: Bad
AVG HR=168!!! (time is from my watch, not the official time which includes T1)
Suit: Arena - full siut
Course: Out and back acroos the lake. Had to get out of the water and wade around the far buoy.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall: Below average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Average
Getting into shoes: Good
Running
00:28:45 | 03.11 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
AVG HR = 164
Course: Out and back on dirt/gravel path
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-07-27 6:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Subject: Surf and Turf Series #3 - Short Course

2006-07-27 10:04 PM
in reply to: #495468

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)
Subject: RE: Surf and Turf Series #3 - Short Course

wow, you are the FASTEST runner i have EVER come across!!! a 3 MINUTE/MILE PACE?!?!! and you said it was easy.....

(hehe)

i think that's great that you kept it going through that OW despite your inner dialogue trying to talk you out of it. i know it can be tough getting through that mental barrier. but, you DID it, you MADE it and you learned more about yourself for the next time around. CONGRATS!!

2006-07-27 10:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, Colorado
I know how you feel about that swim.  After I inhaled some waves I felt that if I did make it to the first bouy I would not be able to make it back.  That would have been a long walk in bare feet.  Great race.
2006-07-27 11:14 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Well ****!  You did it!  That was one tough race and you finished!  Nice job.  Now the rest of your open water swims will feel like nothing!  Hope to meet you next time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf and Turf Series #3 - Short Course Rss Feed