General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Want to switch to minimalist running shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-18 8:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Ellicott City, MD
Subject: Want to switch to minimalist running shoes
The tri season is over, and I am ready for a major change in running shoes. I am a very slow runner, and part of that reason is because anytime I start to run more frequently, I get sidelined by an injury that wipes out any progress I have made. This April, it was a calf "heart attack" that kept me from running for over a month, and still keeps me a little afraid when running even today.

I would like to make the switch to minimalist running shoes. There are no races on the horizon so I plan to take it very slow. If any of you have any experiences with these types of shoes you would like to share, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Gary

2013-10-18 8:24 AM
in reply to: GaryGnu

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Subject: RE: Want to switch to minimalist running shoes
Take it easy. Start with short runs and take it easy. Listen carefully to your body as you run. I found that wearing minimal (i.e. 0 drop) shoes during the day helped my running form in them. Most importantly, take it easy.
2013-10-18 8:27 AM

User image

New user
Be careful not to get peroneal tendonitis. Google "minimalist shoes and peroneal tendonitis". My plantar fasciitis went away when I started switching to low heel to toe drop shoes, but I ended up with peroneal tendonitis. Now I'm still recovering from peroneal tendonitis and wearing a shoe with better heel support for covering long distances. It was either TMTS or I lacked core strength. My 2 cents.
2013-10-18 8:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by GaryGnu The tri season is over, and I am ready for a major change in running shoes. I am a very slow runner, and part of that reason is because anytime I start to run more frequently, I get sidelined by an injury that wipes out any progress I have made. This April, it was a calf "heart attack" that kept me from running for over a month, and still keeps me a little afraid when running even today. I would like to make the switch to minimalist running shoes. There are no races on the horizon so I plan to take it very slow. If any of you have any experiences with these types of shoes you would like to share, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. Gary

Minimalist shoes lend themselves to mid to fore-foot striking which if you don't do already, as you transition over you'll feel it exponentially in the calf and achilles...OR if you heel strike in minimalist shoes you'll most likely develop heel irritation... Obviously some generalization, if you heel strike but it's perfectly under your center of gravity then maybe no problems but that's a very small % of heel strikers..

When I switched to a more minimalist shoe I was a natural mid-foot striker already and still noticed my calves barking after runs...

Rolling them out after each run is the best solution for me, I'd recommend it if you don't already use a roller...Especially if you've experienced calf injuries..

Good luck, minimalist leaning shoes are great and much lighter....

2013-10-18 8:35 AM
in reply to: Tmanishere

I would get a transition shoe, like a Brooks PureCadence. Then move into a pure minimalist shoe.

Another thing to consider is how heavy you are. If you are heavier, I would still use shoes with more support for longer runs.
2013-10-18 9:09 AM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by ImSore I would get a transition shoe, like a Brooks PureCadence. Then move into a pure minimalist shoe. Another thing to consider is how heavy you are. If you are heavier, I would still use shoes with more support for longer runs.

Good point.  My "minimalist" shoe may not even be considered minimalist by some...I'm in the Brooks Pure FLow... I believe it's a 4mm drop...Half the weight of the Nimbus and Dyad's I ran in for thousands of miles..

I'm 220 and these aren't a problem but they do break down faster so perhaps the weight is harder on the shoes...

However even a broken down shoe has more substance than running barefoot which I saw several people doing in my last marathon...

2013-10-18 9:16 AM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by TriMike

However even a broken down shoe has more substance than running barefoot which I saw several people doing in my last marathon...

wat.

2013-10-18 9:28 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Are you a overpronator? If so, there are some (but not a ton) of really good support running shoes that would be considered low drop or minimal shoes. I run in such shoes (Mizuno Wave Musha) on the treadmill. I still run in heavier shoes on the road (Mizuno Wave Prophecy) with an orthotic as I know I need a bit of arch support for longer runs, but for the treadmill (usually 3-4 miles max) the Mushas are fine. For races I use minimal shoes because they are so much faster (at least for me).
2013-10-18 10:13 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by GaryGnu The tri season is over, and I am ready for a major change in running shoes. I am a very slow runner, and part of that reason is because anytime I start to run more frequently, I get sidelined by an injury that wipes out any progress I have made. This April, it was a calf "heart attack" that kept me from running for over a month, and still keeps me a little afraid when running even today. I would like to make the switch to minimalist running shoes. There are no races on the horizon so I plan to take it very slow. If any of you have any experiences with these types of shoes you would like to share, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. Gary

Just curious why you want to make the move to a minimalist shoe?

2013-10-18 10:46 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by GoFaster

x2.

If you haven't already, start with a gait analysis; most professional running shops provide them. Then go play with shoes for a while.

And try the Hoka One One. They are the antithesis of the minimalist movement, and they completely transformed my long runs, from painful dreaded experiences to pleasant jaunts. Some people hate them, and others love them. My marathon would have been a lot more painful without my Hokas.

From my understanding and experience, minimalist shoes generally require stronger tendons and better mechanics, and are less forgiving of bad form. They may make your problems worse.

For me personally, I run in three different shoes - Saucony Kinvara 3s for speedwork (a good, quasi-minimalist shoe), a set of clearance Zoots for general stuff, and my Hokas for anything over 10 miles. I recently retired a pair of Saucony Triumphs that I was quite pleased with.
2013-10-18 11:24 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

I wondered this. You sound injury prone. Cushioning and stability should be your best friends.

2013-10-18 11:48 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I would look more for zero drop or close to rather than "minimalist". Minimalist is typically zero drop but also very little cushioning and/or support. Might make your calf situation worse.

I am currently in a pair of Scott T2s and they are awesome! I did the gait analysis and every shop told me I needed the most support and cushion I could get, one shop tried to get me to buy the Brooks Beast based on video of my over pronation. I defied them all and went with some newtons. The Newtons really helped me to transition to a midfoot strike but they didn't feel great long term. These Scotts are the perfect mix for me. They are ever so slightly u shaped, and I would say medium to light cushioning. Works great for short or long runs, fits my gait perfect and I have had zero injuries or problems in them. Mine are a few years old at this point as I didn't do a lot of running last year, so I am not sure if they have changed the shoe or not, but might be worth a look and a short test drive. 

2013-10-18 11:51 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

x2. If you haven't already, start with a gait analysis; most professional running shops provide them. Then go play with shoes for a while. And try the Hoka One One. They are the antithesis of the minimalist movement, and they completely transformed my long runs, from painful dreaded experiences to pleasant jaunts. Some people hate them, and others love them. My marathon would have been a lot more painful without my Hokas. From my understanding and experience, minimalist shoes generally require stronger tendons and better mechanics, and are less forgiving of bad form. They may make your problems worse. For me personally, I run in three different shoes - Saucony Kinvara 3s for speedwork (a good, quasi-minimalist shoe), a set of clearance Zoots for general stuff, and my Hokas for anything over 10 miles. I recently retired a pair of Saucony Triumphs that I was quite pleased with.

This ^^^

Cushioning alone is nothing....LACK of cushioning WITH poor form is a disaster waiting to happen...

Too much cushioning contributes to bad running form IMO...

2013-10-18 12:11 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by badmo77a

I wondered this. You sound injury prone. Cushioning and stability should be your best friends.
This was my first thought too. Going minimalist sounds counterproductive to me as a means to reduce injury. As you start to run more frequently, how quickly are you ramping up mileage and are your pacing changing?
2013-10-18 12:16 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

I am transitioning to the Atlra shoes right now. It is a zero drop shoe but has a bit of cushioning. So far I like them a lot but I am only a little over two weeks into wearing them and I have not been running in them everyday. The most is three days in a row for about 27 miles in those three days. By next week I should be in them every day. Take it slowly as you switch over, do not run in them everyday at first, which ever shoe you go with.
2013-10-18 3:26 PM

Originally posted by badmo77a

The arguement is that these actually cause the form that cause the injuries.

My high level of running shoe history. In the 60's shoes were for the most part racing flats. In the 70's when the running boom start people where having calf, achilles and Plantar fascitis. The root cause is weakness in the conective tissues you could either strenghten that up and risk injury or shoe as shoe manuafuctures fugired out start raising the heal. The problem is that raising the heal puts preasure on the shins (leading to shin splints) and knees. The change in shoes has not shown to reduce injuries just change the injuries. The minimalist camp argues that you can actually strengthen the legs to avoid the calf, achilles and PF.

Like a lot of things opinons swings back ant forth.

2013-10-18 3:32 PM

I think that I transitioned over 3 pairs of shoes. 8mm to 4mm to 0. I primarily run in Merrell Road glove, NB MT00, or VFF. The Merrell Road Glove are zero drop but they are not nearly as flexible as the other 2, they actually feel like a shoe as opposed to barefoot. I have been at 0 drop for 2 years or so.

I (work from home) am also barefoot 99% of the time. So building the strenght was really not an issue although I still went slow.
2013-10-18 4:24 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
you didn't say what shoes you have been running in....
2013-10-18 6:06 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Be really careful with this. My wife wanted to go minimalistic and took 3 years to build up to it starting with walking 1 mile 3x a week and building up. Which resulted in achillies issues which resolved when she went back to regular running shoes. That increased heal drop can really negatively impact folks. I have calf issues with IM training (900+ miles bike 190+ miles run per month at peak). My approach is to add more stretching and more actual strength work this year to add muscle balance, appropriate stretching and stregth training for the calves. Luck, but be really really really careful.
2013-10-18 9:18 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Veteran
Ellicott City, MD
To answer a couple question on this reply...

I am about 6'2", 185 pounds. From what I have read at various outlets, its these big heavy cumbersome running shoes that are causing the problems. I want to try something new as I feel like I have nothing to lose. I recently forgot my running shoes at a training event I did (short 2 mile distance), and I had to run in my basic regular Under Armour every day shoes that weigh about half as much as my running shoes. I felt great running in those. The calf heart attack was the most serious thing to happen, and that was originally brought on by running faster not running too often or too much. One problem I don't have is running too often. I don't enjoy running that much, so I never overdo it. The shoes I have are"neutral" if I remember correctly. The ones I had before were more rigid.

I do plan to go to my local road runner sports and get their opinion. If I remember correctly, I do over pronate.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
2013-10-18 9:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Before you decide on anything, maybe have a coach checkup your running form. IMO It's much more the form than the shoe.

There are some who says that it's best going straight to barefoot, even skipping minimalist shoes: You'll instantly correct your running form simply because doing it wrong is painful. From there you then build up strength to go longer and faster. In barefoot running the impact is absorbed by the calf muscles and the problem is that when you fatigue you'll fall straight through and bones will take the impact - this can lead to stress fractures and other injuries. It's very hard not to feel you can do more when you're fit, but transitioning this way is prone to doing too much too soon.

And then there are those who says you should transition through low drop and running flat shoes: These will absorb some of the impact and allow you build strength gradually while you keep running, but on the other hand they won't force you to change your form. You can then gradually progress through shoes with less cushion. Even if you do this, it can be a good experience to take of your shoes and jog softly just a few hundred meters before you get your shoes on and go on your usual run. I think most Saucony shoes have a heel drop of 4mm, but the Kinvara has 22mm in the heel and 18 in the forefoot, the fastwitch 18/14 and type A5 16/12mm.

Also note, long distance runs usually faves more cushioned shoes and more heel drop. As you fatigue, you'll eventually fall back on the heels and need that extra cushioning.

2013-10-18 10:26 PM
in reply to: erik.norgaard

Another perspective . . . make sure the shoe fits.
I had tremendous problems early this year, then moved to a shoe that is cut narrow. (I wear a 12B.) I can't express how much joy I've had running this year. I don't think it's the drop, I think it's the width.
That said, I think it's very important to adjust slowly to whatever you try, as others have said.
2013-10-19 12:05 PM
in reply to: #4879762

User image

+1 on the Brooks Cadence. They've been a great training shoe with decent support. I found the lighter/less support PureDrift 50% off and grabbed a pair of them for race day and the combo works well. I don't think I'd take the drift on anything longer than a 10k but the cadence is a great all around shoe for any distance.

Like others said, transition slow to prevent injury. Your calves are gonna feel it!
2013-10-19 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4880412

Not necessarily minimalist, but see if you can find some On-Running shoes. I love mine.
2013-10-19 11:06 PM
in reply to: #4880466

I switched to minimalist shoes and got hit with one of those calf heart attacks. Out for a month and made me very nervous running. Went to a running store with those analysis things and got a better shoe for me. Cushy but pretty light.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Want to switch to minimalist running shoes Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Minimalist shoes --> 'Normal' running shoes and foot pain

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 2802 Posts: 10

2011-11-17 11:53 AM natethomas2000

Good form running technique - similar pain issues as minimalist shoes Pages: 1 2

Started by TriMike
Views: 3886 Posts: 34

2010-11-08 8:37 AM briderdt

Sockless, Minimalist Running Shoe Recommendations

Started by Motivated
Views: 5725 Posts: 24

2010-07-04 7:56 AM TracyV

Starting over with running/minimalist shoes

Started by TritoTeach
Views: 2084 Posts: 17

2009-12-22 11:01 AM Gritty

Which minimalist/forefoot running shoes?

Started by Cubby
Views: 15503 Posts: 21

2009-10-08 4:37 PM saling4
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 23, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 3
Does wearing minimalist shoes put more stress on the ankles, shins and knee joints with the loss of padding from conventional running shoes?

date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : November 2, 2011
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries
date : October 4, 2011
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running

date : March 9, 2010
comments : 1
Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.
date : September 11, 2009
author : Total Immersion
comments : 1
In this third part, Terry Laughlin discusses how to achieve an optimal freestyle stroke and what drills go into developing a good stroke.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.