Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What do you drive? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-10-18 9:12 AM

User image

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
Subject: What do you drive?
I. Sure this will get out of hand but that's what makes the internet fun right? So currently driving a 2500 ram which I love but it is more than I need. So looking to "downsize". I love cars and trucks (and anything with wheels to be honest) so tell me what you drive and why I would like it (in general and as a tri / road bike hauler / outdoors lifestyle vehicle)

Of note I am a gear head (and a pilot) so coolness factor is not lost on me. I will not likely trade my truck in for a smart car etc. that might be your thing and that's cool just not for me. Also I'm 6'2" so I need to actually be comfortable in it

OK ...... GO!!!

2013-10-18 9:28 AM
in reply to: trmat79

Master
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: What do you drive?
A minivan. Not terribly exciting but it's what works best with 4 young kids right now.
2013-10-18 9:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I can't say enough good things about mine.  

I've got a 2013 Mazda CX-5 which I guess you would classify as a compact SUV.  Gets 32MPG (for real) on the highway, gets around in the snow better than my old 4x4 pickup and drives/rides better than the Lexus IS250 I traded in for it.

The absolute best part about the whole thing is it cost $29k pretty much loaded out with Nav, awesome Bose stereo, bluetooth hands free, etc...

People think I'm weird when I say it was a major upgrade from my Lexus, but it was in every way.  It's so much more practical with just the right amount of cargo space and is perfect for Tri's with the bike rack on the back.

I really like the style of it as well and think it looks very cool and unique.  My kids think it looks like an angry bird, so they call it the "angry bird".  

The only negative is that you won't win any drag races with it, but I got that out of my system many years ago.  

I've got the blue one like this

Now if you really wanted to be cool, you could trick it out and make a true Triathlon assualt vehicle with this Dempsey concept scheme.  

Edited by tuwood 2013-10-18 9:33 AM
2013-10-18 9:34 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

Suburban.

2013-10-18 9:43 AM

User image

Regular
Acura MDX.
2013-10-18 9:46 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

2011 Lincoln MKZ  ... I freaking LOVE this car.  Engine has some really nice power even if the low-end torque feels a little wanting at first, and the creature comforts are excellent.

I'm 6' 2" and it is super comfy and roomy for me.  I can fit my bike in the trunk if I take the wheels off (a 58cm Cervelo).  I can also fit a second tri bike in the back seat without even having to turn the bars.  I road tripped from Cleveland to Des Moines like this - my bike and gear in the trunk and another guys bike (58cm Shiv) and gear in the back seat.  No bikes on a rack dragging in the wind - easy peasy.

2013-10-18 9:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
<p>'74 Dodge Monaco...  It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.</p>

Edited by Sous 2013-10-18 9:47 AM
2013-10-18 9:48 AM

User image

Pro

6'2"? My Mazda 3 is likely out of the running. My dad is 6'0" and can't seem to get comfortable driving it.

I've been in a new Subaru XV Crosstrek. Pretty awesome all around. Great fuel economy, still has all wheel drive... I have some car envy, for sure.

2013-10-18 9:59 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Expert
Newnan, Georgia
good the ideas are coming and I like this... so some more info.... my family consists of my wife and I and the dog of course.... she drives a VW Golf TDI. I like having a pickup but the 2500 maybe to big....god I love the looks of it though. We "MAY BE" moving in the next year where I would have to commute more ( i would also use my harley for some of the commute). I was thinking maybe a Ram 1500 sport 4x4 regular cab..(but I worry about not having extra seats sometimes) or maybe a jeep wrangler or something like that. I do like power (it's my cross to bear) and I like sporty cars and trucks....to be honest I would have a corvette or two in the garage if the wallet and space allowed.....

2013-10-18 9:59 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Mazda CX-7 - like the photo Tony posted but just a smidge bigger.

I thought I loved it - I think it looks snappy (I have the gray/dusty blue color) and I can put the back seats down and fit 2 bikes and gear in the cargo area fully assembled. I also installed a hitch so I can put a bike rack if I have more than 1 passenger with a bike. Got all the options like leather, moon roof, etc. Downside is that is requires premium gas since it has a turbo engine. 

But then I drove my BF's Lincoln MKX. Seriously the ride is SO much smoother. Same style, same amount of room but just a way better experience, and premium gas is not recommended/required. You'll pay a hefty price difference though.

2013-10-18 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
I had an Audi S4 Avant that I loved and fit in at 6'3" very well. Hauled bikes on the roof and gear in the back. These days I have a Honda Element. No where near the performance of the S4 but I can fit bikes in the back without taking wheels off, it hauls tons of gear, it's great in the snow.

2013-10-18 10:04 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by trmat79 good the ideas are coming and I like this... so some more info.... my family consists of my wife and I and the dog of course.... she drives a VW Golf TDI. I like having a pickup but the 2500 maybe to big....god I love the looks of it though. We "MAY BE" moving in the next year where I would have to commute more ( i would also use my harley for some of the commute). I was thinking maybe a Ram 1500 sport 4x4 regular cab..(but I worry about not having extra seats sometimes) or maybe a jeep wrangler or something like that. I do like power (it's my cross to bear) and I like sporty cars and trucks....to be honest I would have a corvette or two in the garage if the wallet and space allowed.....

We're currently shopping for a truck as well and we settled on the Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Sport.  Love the look and decent MPG.  We're just waiting for the 2014's to hit the lot.

2013-10-18 10:07 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

F-150 and I freakin love it.

I love driving a truck, and I live on a farm at the end of four miles of gravel road, so I can justify the "need".

It's a 2012 Lariat crew cab, so it has some nice extras.  It's a V6 with eco boost and gets "decent" (for a truck) mileage 19 in town/ 21 HWY (which is most of my driving), but it has some serious get-up-and-go (I actually made it go air-born punching it on a yellow during my test-drive), and it has some decent responsiveness for a truck. I can put five bikes and gear in the bed, or I can roll my bike in the back of the cab with out taking a single thing off of it (awesome).  The sounds system is great, bluetooth audio kicks azz, and since I drive 60 miles a day on a deer highway, being in a bigger, taller vehicle (on 20s yo) makes me feel safe.  Runs to the dump, loads of mulch/hay/feed/lumber, blah blah blah.  The truck is where it's at.

Last, but not least, is dropping a tailgate is good for many, many things. 

I don't know what of the above, in anything, applies to your situation, but good luck with the downsize;)

2013-10-18 10:08 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by trmat79 good the ideas are coming and I like this... so some more info.... my family consists of my wife and I and the dog of course.... she drives a VW Golf TDI. I like having a pickup but the 2500 maybe to big....god I love the looks of it though. We "MAY BE" moving in the next year where I would have to commute more ( i would also use my harley for some of the commute). I was thinking maybe a Ram 1500 sport 4x4 regular cab..(but I worry about not having extra seats sometimes) or maybe a jeep wrangler or something like that. I do like power (it's my cross to bear) and I like sporty cars and trucks....to be honest I would have a corvette or two in the garage if the wallet and space allowed.....

We're currently shopping for a truck as well and we settled on the Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Sport.  Love the look and decent MPG.  We're just waiting for the 2014's to hit the lot.

That's a good truck.  I love the look of the Tundra too, and Toyota has been running 0% financing deals.

2013-10-18 10:15 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

My bike.

Okay, when I'm not on my bike, it's a Ford Escape (bottom of the line 2001 edition). It works, pretty reliable, absolutely NOTHING of cool factor about it. Well, it's red, if that counts.

2013-10-18 10:24 AM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Sensei
Sin City

my wife crazy...

And and Acura TL.  LOVE IT.  Probably get another Acura like and MDX or RDX to support outdoor activities a bit better.

2013-10-18 10:25 AM

User image

I'm 6' 2"

I drive the ultimate driving machine.....Well that is what the commercials tell me

BMW 5 series; Because I love German engineering, it is fun to drive, gets great gas mileage on the highway, it has a heated steering wheel (I can't see how I lived life without one when it is -7 outside), and when I drop it off at the shop for scheduled maintenance, they give me a BMW 3 series loaner. I am sure you can put a bike on it and there is a ton of trunk space.....but I don't.

• .....Our lifestyle/weekend vehicle is a Chevy Tahoe. I like it when it is not in the shop (it is an '08 and I think I have spent about $3000 in repairs in the last year on really things that just shouldn't break) . It is perfect and just the right size for all our family activities. And besides, I would look pretty silly with a deer tied to the hood on my BMW every November. I like it so much that I'll overlook the repair cost and buy another one when I ready to trade in the one I got.

• 2013-10-18 10:25 AM
    in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
    Boise, ID

Oooo I like this game. I am in the same boat as you OP, I like cars and am not the most practical when it comes to deciding what to drive. But hey, you only live once, might as well have some fun.

My Truck: 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel

photo photo7.jpg

And a gratuitous dog and truck picture, cuz who doesn't like dogs and trucks?

photo IMG_0381.jpg

My wife drives a 2002 BMW 330ci Convertible. Just bought this spring, she previously drove a 2003 Mazda 6. I can agree with Tony and Lisa that Mazda's are great cars. They are not luxury, but for what they are they do an amazing job. But like I said, not real practical here, who wants a reliable good economy car when you can drive an unreliable, fast, German convertible?

Here is a pic right after we bought it.

photo photo1_zps36e91117.png

photo photo7_zps07c50bf0.jpg

And a crappy cell phone pic after I lowered it and put new rims on it.

photo PhotoOct05115712PM_zps4e351c66.jpg

Then there is my baby. A 1987 Chrysler Conquest TSi. Saw one of these beat to heck on the side of the road when I was 14, couldn't get over how cool it looked so I spent the next 2 years searching for one. Finally found one on ebay that was all original with 29k miles on it and it was 20 minutes from my house. Went right over, bought it and have had it ever since. Drove it all through high school but now it is a garage queen, weekend car. Has 55k miles on it now.

photo 100_0260.jpg

I am into bikes too. My 2007 Suzuki M109R. Unfortunately this bike is resting in peace after I totaled it last Fall. Working on finding a replacement, hopefully by next summer.

photo PhotoSep1690521AM.jpg

Nothing very practical here but I enjoy each of them for different reasons and I like working on them. Once kids enter the picture my wife will likely trade her BMW for a Volvo or something along those lines, but she is loving the convertible in the mean time. 

2013-10-18 10:28 AM

User image

3 Series BMW.  With the roof rack I can take two bikes and like that they are locked up on there.  I bought it after my 1st one was getting a bit unreliable after 12 years for long trips.  The reason I stuck with it is I like the safety aspect of it, I like a solid feeling car.  I put the braking power to the test when a deer jumped into the road while I was doing 50.  The car stopped on a dime, never drifted and the only way I can explain it is it felt like the nose of the car just dove into the pavement.  Performance wise it's fine but it's probably not a good fit for someone bigger.  Full disclosure I am looking to trade it in for something else.  It's not the roomiest thing for two car seats in the back.

2013-10-18 10:37 AM
    in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Expert
    Boise, ID

OP, if you are serious about a Ram 1500 try to make it a newer one. I had an 05 Ram 1500 with the Hemi and auto trans, I liked it, but it sucked.

The tranny hunted constantly with even the lightest of loads. The engine had plenty of power but it made it's power higher in the power band than some so it was screamin when it was working. And no matter how much like an old man I drove the truck I would get 12-14mpgs around town. 

Sounds counter intuitive but I upgraded to the diesel because it is actually cheaper to drive. The Hemi required mid grade gas so the difference in price between the gas and the diesel was less than $.20 per gallon. My diesel gets 20-22mpg on the highway and 18-20 in town. Oil changes every 10-15k miles. So either the same or even a bit cheaper to drive and you have all the power you could ever need and you can tow anything. The mega cab is freakin huge, the backseat is like a living room. My dad has a mega as well and we took 5 adults from Boise ID to Minnesota and back this summer in complete comfort in it.

Is your 2500 a diesel? If so I would consider keeping it, the 1500 is not going to be much cheaper to drive and it will be a less capable truck. The brand new trucks are doing a bit better, I haven't heard if the new 8 speed auto has come out yet or not but if it has I would go for that or wait for it to come out. The old 5 speed dodge tranny quite frankly sucks. 

My old truck was in almost perfect condition and was a very nice truck. I just got sick of the bad tranny and the horrible gas mileage.

photo IMG_1645.jpg

2013-10-18 10:40 AM
    in reply to: tricrazy

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by tricrazy A minivan. Not terribly exciting but it's what works best with 4 young kids right now.

same here - I have a Toyota Sienna. It is so versatile I can't imagine anything else now. But yes, not exciting .

2013-10-18 10:40 AM
    in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Expert
    Boise, ID

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

3 Series BMW.  With the roof rack I can take two bikes and like that they are locked up on there.  I bought it after my 1st one was getting a bit unreliable after 12 years for long trips.  The reason I stuck with it is I like the safety aspect of it, I like a solid feeling car.  I put the braking power to the test when a deer jumped into the road while I was doing 50.  The car stopped on a dime, never drifted and the only way I can explain it is it felt like the nose of the car just dove into the pavement.  Performance wise it's fine but it's probably not a good fit for someone bigger.  Full disclosure I am looking to trade it in for something else.  It's not the roomiest thing for two car seats in the back.

Haha I put a hitch on my wife's BMW so I could put a bike rack on it. She is eternally embarrassed that she drives a BMW with a hitch, but it worked awesome to get us and my bikes to Seattle this summer. 

2013-10-18 10:47 AM

User image

Champion
    Brooklyn, NY
    We drive a Subaru Forester. Headroom shouldn't be a problem, and it's fine for hauling gear, bikes, etc. We've put three bikes on a rear-mounted rack and another two on a roof rack without any problem in terms of handling. It has all-wheel-drive which is nice in inclement weather or gravel/dirt roads, and it's got plenty of room in back, especially if you fold down the rear seat. Gas mileage is pretty good.

It's the perfect vehicle for us-- an urban three-person family. It's not so big that it's hard to park on the street, but big enough to carry everything we need for a long vacation.

It is not, however, cool. Not by any stretch.
    2013-10-18 10:48 AM
    in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Master
    Oceanside, California
    Honda Accord for daily stuff.
    Chrysler Mini-van when it is family time.
    Trying to get a Rack (hint hint, AMazon Wish List Birthday is next week).
    For races, I have been putting bike in back of van, except for the Super Seal when I popped my wifes convertible (Solara) and threw it in the back seat.
    2013-10-18 10:48 AM
    in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Chicago, IL

I drive the closest available Zipcar.

I've never actually owned a car, since I've always lived in a major city. Chicago is the only city where it's made some sense to own a car. NYC and Boston it would never have happened, more of a hassle than a convenience.

New Thread
    Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What do you drive? Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Add memory to hard drive or go with external hard drive?

Started by ChineseDemocracy
    Views: 789 Posts: 4

2013-03-24 12:00 PM ChineseDemocracy

Anyone done the Toyota Driving Expectations program ?

Started by tri42
    Views: 553 Posts: 2

2008-04-06 7:08 AM wgraves7582

Driving in the Snow Pages: 1 2

Started by Sassafras
    Views: 1798 Posts: 32

2005-12-09 11:37 PM marmadaddy

Dangers of Cell Phones While Driving

Started by cityplannerx
    Views: 658 Posts: 3

2005-12-03 3:12 PM tyrant

What kind of car do you drive? Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by Jiggies
    Views: 6745 Posts: 150

2005-08-11 10:44 AM twinstrimom
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : April 28, 2011
    author : fivecents
    comments : 5
    What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
    author : Coach AJ
    comments : 0
    Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
    date : October 7, 2008
    author : Coach AJ
    comments : 0
    I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
    author : scoli121
    comments : 6
    I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"