General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weirdest Way You Ever Got Your Miles In Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-18 9:16 PM

Subject: Weirdest Way You Ever Got Your Miles In
Problem:
My job's HQ recently located out of town, where there was a nice track and trails and roads that were easy to hit on my afternoon commute.
Now I have to drive out of the way, past my house, down into town to get to these places.

Solution:
Paced off a 1.25mi loop in an old parking lot on the way home and ran a few laps before driving home.

Anyone else ever find themselves making up their own improvised routes in unconventional places?

2013-10-19 3:32 AM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Weirdest Way You Ever Got Your Miles In
Yes, quite often at various stages of my life. I grew up in the Midwest, and we sometimes had severe winter weather, so my dad and I sometimes trained by running loops of the lobby of the university basketball stadium. We even did some two-hour runs in there when I was a teenager. Oddly, we weren't the only ones--many of the town's hard-core runners ran there when the roads were too icy. Once the stadium was closed for repairs, so we did a 2-hour run around two basketball courts in another stadium. That was the most tedious run I ever did! People sometimes tell me now I must be mentally tough to handle training solo here in Vietnam, esp. biking which is 99% trainer or a 6 km loop of an industrial park. They have no idea.

When I studied in China, running on the roads could be hazardous owing to traffic and (I was in the far north) ice. But I discovered a large "experimental forest" at the nearby forestry university. A little gift of gloves and foreign currency to the door guard, and I soon had my personal cross country course pretty much to myself every day. It was about a 5 km loop and what was funny is that the forest was organized by type of tree. I had names for each section--the birch area was "Siberia", the pine area "Oregon", the maples "Canada" and so on. It snowed a lot there and the paths were absolutely beautiful to run on.

I ran for a Nike-sponsored team when I worked in Taiwan and we did hill repeats up the Haitian ambassador's steep driveway. As I recall he was a former distance runner himself and friend of the team coach, and happily let us use his driveway for workouts. Later I worked in China and lived near the Old Summer Palace. So I again had a cross country course pretty much to myself in the early mornings; just some old people fishing and doing tai chi--very few other runners.

I travel a lot so also had some crazy runs in other places. One of the most memorable was in Lhasa, Tibet. I was going for a walk but was getting too cold, so started running instead. I ran from the old town to the Potala and did a couple of loops of the kora (pilgrimage circuit) around it. Was worried it might be seen as disrespectful, but actually quite a few Tibetans were out for morning jogs as well. Sure I could think of others but these were among the most memorable.
2013-10-19 6:24 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Bronze member

When my kids were little ( toddler and an infant) I could not run on the treadmill in the basement because it would wake one of them up at nap time. Nap time is a precious commodity so not worth the risk . So more than once I would run laps around my house. Around and around and around.

2013-10-19 6:54 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Wow--that is dedication. Around the house inside it (through the rooms?) or outside? That brought back memories of my earliest running--I used to bet my babysitter's son that I could run XX laps of XX. It started with fifty laps of the couch (I imagine it was difficult to sit such a hyper kid!) and culminated with my running, with no walking or stopping, 100 laps of the house (in the yard outside). I was six or seven. Thinking back, assuming we could actually count with any accuracy, that must have been a pretty substantial run for a kid of that age. But I wouldn't count that as "training"--it was part of a larger, kid-created game that combined elements of Truth or Dare, sibling-like mutual trash talking and torture, and make-believe Olympics.
2013-10-19 10:25 AM

I've run 10 miles once up and down a 300 yard driveway, for real. Back and forth for nearly an hour and a half, in the dark (which made it somewhat easier.) Never gonna do that again!
2013-10-19 11:30 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

We spent a week at an all inclusive in Cuba. It was weird running out of the resort, past the guard, then into the countryside. I got some funny looks from the subsistence farmers along the route.

2013-10-19 11:33 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I used to run laps around the parking lot of my office.  It was about half a mile if you did the farthest perimeter around.  Would do 6 laps on my lunch, clean up and grab my lunch.

2013-10-19 11:38 AM
in reply to: #4880267

User image

Treadmill on a ship... Ok when it's flat seas but add some swells and it's running into the console followed by almost going right off the back.
2013-10-19 1:34 PM
in reply to: Mr Cup

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by Mr Cup Treadmill on a ship... Ok when it's flat seas but add some swells and it's running into the console followed by almost going right off the back.

This is my weird experience too. Throw in the fact that the only treadmill that was open sat in front of giant windows and faced perpendicular to the direction of travel and it was a very odd experience.

2013-10-19 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4880404

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Two years ago I was in Woburn, MA a few days after a big snowstorm. The treadmill in the hotel was broke so I got in 6 miles by running laps around the parking lot which was the only place that was plowed. It was a fairly big lot , I remember that each lap was about a third of a mile.
2013-10-19 4:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Mine are more of a multi-tasking thing, but I've ran a 3-mile loop around my house, then 1 mile to the grocery store, bought groceries, then walked 1 mile home. 

Similarly, I ran 3.5 miles to a charity walk and walked 2 miles there (then got a ride home).

Oh, forgot about the time I ran 4 miles to a beer run, which was 4 miles so I could get in 8 miles total. Also got a ride home that time

Edited by lisac957 2013-10-19 4:21 PM

2013-10-19 10:55 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner Wow--that is dedication. Around the house inside it (through the rooms?) or outside? That brought back memories of my earliest running--I used to bet my babysitter's son that I could run XX laps of XX. It started with fifty laps of the couch (I imagine it was difficult to sit such a hyper kid!) and culminated with my running, with no walking or stopping, 100 laps of the house (in the yard outside). I was six or seven. Thinking back, assuming we could actually count with any accuracy, that must have been a pretty substantial run for a kid of that age. But I wouldn't count that as "training"--it was part of a larger, kid-created game that combined elements of Truth or Dare, sibling-like mutual trash talking and torture, and make-believe Olympics.

That is pretty funny and I can see my son doing something like that!

My run around the house was outside then every couple of laps I would peak in the window to make sure the kids were still asleep . But I've done an inside the house run too when it was cold and I could not take the kids out in the stroller. I had timed intervals - so many minutes up and down the basement stairs, then around the basement, then jogging on the trampoline, repeat.

2013-10-19 11:32 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by mrbbrad

Originally posted by Mr Cup Treadmill on a ship... Ok when it's flat seas but add some swells and it's running into the console followed by almost going right off the back.

This is my weird experience too. Throw in the fact that the only treadmill that was open sat in front of giant windows and faced perpendicular to the direction of travel and it was a very odd experience.

Mine was on a cruise too, only I tried to run on the little track that circled the top deck of the ship, which a person really shouldn't do when there's swells going on.  

Yep, I fell off the track.  

2013-10-20 4:00 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I'm a physician who takes a significant amount of 'in hospital' call where I need to be there at the facility. There are times where there is little or no work but I can't leave the hospital so I run in the parking lots. One of the small hospitals is 0.53 miles around it. I once did a 17 mile run in loops around the hospital. Another hospital I work at is much larger so I just run around the parking lot near one of the entrances.

I don't think I am ever actually further away than if I were in the cafeteria so I think I am following the intent of the in hospital rule if not the letter of the law. Only once have I had to run to attend to a patient while I was still sweating like crazy. They were not in any condition to notice their doctor was sweating like a pig but some of the nurses gave me funny looks.
2013-10-20 4:35 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Mine was on a cruise too, only I tried to run on the little track that circled the top deck of the ship, which a person really shouldn't do when there's swells going on.  

I've got a GPS track of doing that (running the track, not falling off...)  

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/67126954

2013-10-20 6:28 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

In an airport due to a 6 hour layover.

Was supposed to be at the resort by 12pm however due to a snowstorm got to the resort at about 11 pm. At lest we got one of the last flights out of JFK ( last ones on the plane because of being on standby).Flew to San Juan Puerto Rico where the layover was.

The looks of the other passengers was priceless.

2013-10-20 8:05 PM
in reply to: suefesta

I have been running every day since last year, and actually hit day 365 today. I flew to China, and had a layover in Chicago and stayed at a hotel there. I didn't realize that I wasn't going to get my bags, and only had my street clothes (luckily I had an old pair of sneakers on).

I didn't want to lose my streak, so I did 2 miles on the treadmill at the gym in the hotel early in the morning trying really really hard not to sweat, since those were the same clothes I would have to wear for about another 12 hours of flying. I did get to shower afterwards, even so, I may have been a little stale smelling, but I've had to put up with some very rank smelling people while traveling before, so it was about time I gave a little back.
2013-10-20 8:55 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
I'm a paranoid cyclist unless its a bike ride or ride with friends all I do is go around a 3 mi loop say 40 mi i do 13 loops

Ex.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/392229121
2013-10-21 1:09 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Originally posted by wannabefaster I'm a physician who takes a significant amount of 'in hospital' call where I need to be there at the facility. There are times where there is little or no work but I can't leave the hospital so I run in the parking lots. One of the small hospitals is 0.53 miles around it. I once did a 17 mile run in loops around the hospital. Another hospital I work at is much larger so I just run around the parking lot near one of the entrances. I don't think I am ever actually further away than if I were in the cafeteria so I think I am following the intent of the in hospital rule if not the letter of the law. Only once have I had to run to attend to a patient while I was still sweating like crazy. They were not in any condition to notice their doctor was sweating like a pig but some of the nurses gave me funny looks.

similar situation for me, except the ICU cell phone I carry doesn't actually work more than 10 feet outside the hospital (and sometimes even within the hospital in distant corners). Thus, I've done 30 minutes worth of stair laps before. That was a tough workout. Hard up, recover going down. The hospital has always had a gym/cardiac rehab center, but didn't open it up to off-hour use until earlier this year. Wasn't busy last night and actually managed a 6.5 mile treadmill run. Thankful because this will come in handy for my IM build when I have a 57-hour weekend locked in the hospital.

2013-10-21 6:19 AM
in reply to: Mr Cup

User image

Originally posted by Mr Cup

Treadmill on a ship... Ok when it's flat seas but add some swells and it's running into the console followed by almost going right off the back.

I miss those days...lol

My best was a half-marathon in the well-deck of a smaller amphib - 76 laps around - it was "fun"...
2013-10-21 7:11 AM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by rdailey1

Originally posted by wannabefaster I'm a physician who takes a significant amount of 'in hospital' call where I need to be there at the facility. There are times where there is little or no work but I can't leave the hospital so I run in the parking lots. One of the small hospitals is 0.53 miles around it. I once did a 17 mile run in loops around the hospital. Another hospital I work at is much larger so I just run around the parking lot near one of the entrances. I don't think I am ever actually further away than if I were in the cafeteria so I think I am following the intent of the in hospital rule if not the letter of the law. Only once have I had to run to attend to a patient while I was still sweating like crazy. They were not in any condition to notice their doctor was sweating like a pig but some of the nurses gave me funny looks.

similar situation for me, except the ICU cell phone I carry doesn't actually work more than 10 feet outside the hospital (and sometimes even within the hospital in distant corners). Thus, I've done 30 minutes worth of stair laps before. That was a tough workout. Hard up, recover going down. The hospital has always had a gym/cardiac rehab center, but didn't open it up to off-hour use until earlier this year. Wasn't busy last night and actually managed a 6.5 mile treadmill run. Thankful because this will come in handy for my IM build when I have a 57-hour weekend locked in the hospital.

Our hospital phone doesn't work outside of the hospital either. Fortunately I am on pretty good terms with most of the people I work with. I can usually ask one of the nurses (very nicely) if they will hold my phone and if it rings to answer it and then immediately call my cell phone to relay the message. Only that one time that I had to use this system but it worked like a charm.

2013-10-21 8:12 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
My daughter wanted to learn how to do a specific gymnastic trip on a bar - so we headed over to the middle school and I ran around the soccer/fieldhockey/softball fields while she practiced. Turns out the bars at the middle school weren't quite the configuration she needed - so after three laps around (about .4 of a mile/lap), we headed to a local field that had the bars in a better configuration for her...got another two laps in (.2 of a mile/lap) before she cratered. At that point - I took her home and headed out again. I'll try to run in any situation I can...figure it makes me tougher!
2013-10-21 10:07 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Regular
Chicago

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

I've got a GPS track of doing that (running the track, not falling off...)  

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/67126954

That's hilarious! I'm not sure what I like more - the tracked path or your 2:30 pace.

2013-10-21 10:23 AM
in reply to: doxie

User image

Pro

When I was doing heavy business travel there were lots of odd-hour treadmill runs. I've done quite a few 16-20 milers when in the midst of marathon training when I can't get outside. I've gotten lost running in Germany and France and in places where people act like they've never seen a runner before. One time we were having a meeting in some small town outside Frankfurt and I was utterly lost, then literally ran into my colleagues as they were walking to dinner (where I was supposed to be!). They kindly pointed me back to the hotel and waited for me to shower.

2013-10-21 10:43 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I was on a job interview and had a 10 mile runt o do. I got up and decided to run thru the town.....turnedoutthe town was 1/2 mile up and 1/2 mile back......................I was about in tears because I could not imagine living there. I finished the run but didn't take the job.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weirdest Way You Ever Got Your Miles In Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Weirdest Running Injury Ever

Started by marmadaddy
Views: 2113 Posts: 17

2012-08-07 1:04 PM mxr746

Have you ever gotten a penalty? Pages: 1 2

Started by JG_GreenCoast
Views: 2162 Posts: 28

2012-04-03 2:52 PM mmrocker13

OMG, my body's reacting in weird ways! Pages: 1 2

Started by JBrashear
Views: 2332 Posts: 36

2009-09-24 12:52 AM skarl

Have you ever gotten motion sickness when swimming?

Started by run joe run
Views: 6442 Posts: 17

2008-10-24 2:14 AM RDub in Kona

Did my first ever 10-mile Run today!

Started by agilis
Views: 1095 Posts: 19

2008-06-30 8:50 AM mrbbrad
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?

date : September 16, 2011
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.
date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.

date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : July 8, 2008
author : amyro1234
Ever since I was 11 years old and first heard the word "triathlon" mentioned, I have made it my vow to do one. But what 11 year old does triathlons?”

date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.