General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running routes in Midtown East Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-19 2:43 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Running routes in Midtown East
I will be doing some intermittent work travel to NYC for next few months and looking for some suggestions on running routes.

I will be in staying pretty close to river (like 1st or 2nd ave and somewhere on 30s st)... I think it's Murray Hill area?? Anyways just looking for some SAFE running routes for 4mi-6mi distances. This is total distance so only 2-3miles out and then back.

Safety is a concern because work hours keep me in office till late evening and given the winter it would dark fairly early. Also, being an out of towner, I would hate getting into trouble. Last year, I did some running in late, late evening in Central Park and it was out of my comfort zone.

Ofcourse, i will have access to indoor gym but I would like to run outside until it starts snowing. Treadmill bores me to death.

Suggestions appreciated!

2013-10-20 6:15 AM
in reply to: ironbaby

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Running routes in Midtown East
Originally posted by ironbaby

I will be doing some intermittent work travel to NYC for next few months and looking for some suggestions on running routes.

I will be in staying pretty close to river (like 1st or 2nd ave and somewhere on 30s st)... I think it's Murray Hill area?? Anyways just looking for some SAFE running routes for 4mi-6mi distances. This is total distance so only 2-3miles out and then back.

Safety is a concern because work hours keep me in office till late evening and given the winter it would dark fairly early. Also, being an out of towner, I would hate getting into trouble. Last year, I did some running in late, late evening in Central Park and it was out of my comfort zone.

Ofcourse, i will have access to indoor gym but I would like to run outside until it starts snowing. Treadmill bores me to death.

Suggestions appreciated!

How late are we talking about? If CP is out of your comfort zone, the greenways on the East and West side (particularly on the East River) will be more so. I run the West side greenway at night sometimes and it's pretty sparsely populated by 8pm or so.

You could always just run on the sidewalks up or down 1st or 2nd Ave.. By nighttime, especially as it gets colder, there won't be much pedestrian traffic, but if you're looking for visibility and safety, that might be your best bet.
2013-10-20 4:38 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Running routes in Midtown East
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Originally posted by ironbaby

Suggestions appreciated!

How late are we talking about? If CP is out of your comfort zone, the greenways on the East and West side (particularly on the East River) will be more so. I run the West side greenway at night sometimes and it's pretty sparsely populated by 8pm or so.

You could always just run on the sidewalks up or down 1st or 2nd Ave.. By nighttime, especially as it gets colder, there won't be much pedestrian traffic, but if you're looking for visibility and safety, that might be your best bet.

Yeah I thought about running on the street too. I think anything upto 7pm should be okay. But starting a run at 7:30pm or so in winter season would be out of my comfort zone. I saw good bit of runners in CP until 9:30pm or so but that was summer. I bet the scenery is a little different now.

I am not uncomfortable with running at nite.. its just I am not familiar with NY areas. In DC/MD, I often went out running at 10pm and wouldn't come back till midnight.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running routes in Midtown East Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running Routes in Rochester?

Started by RockTractor
Views: 1376 Posts: 3

2013-09-23 9:33 AM RockTractor

Pools in midtown NYC

Started by bdenehy
Views: 1544 Posts: 7

2013-08-01 12:56 PM slowpokee

18-20 miles run routes?

Started by adiazny
Views: 1500 Posts: 4

2012-03-01 9:51 PM adiazny

AM Lap Swim at Asser Levy (East 23rd St, NYC)

Started by jdevito20
Views: 1002 Posts: 1

2009-07-16 3:12 PM jdevito20

Swimming in Midtown?

Started by TriCompetitor
Views: 1416 Posts: 4

2009-06-03 7:56 AM TriCompetitor
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : February 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
At 30 to 40 minutes into my run, my foot starts to go numb. If I keep going, the foot goes totally numb.

date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!
date : May 8, 2007
author : Ron
Lots of updates in this version! Map your routes and elevation profiles of single sport workouts, bricks and races! Directly integrates into BT's training log to assign routes to workouts.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation