General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Completed My First Triathlon- Wooo Hooo - Um, Now What? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-19 10:29 PM

User image

, California
Subject: Completed My First Triathlon- Wooo Hooo - Um, Now What?
I completed my first sprint triathlon today and had such nervousness, learning experiences, new friendships, fun, a sense of accomplishment and Woo Hoo I didn't die. I can't wait to do it again!

A quick background

- Non Exercising mom as of June
- Getting my age on - 48
- Not overweight
- Started program here on BT in July
- Riding a fit bike
- Didn't die
- Swam well
- Sucked at the bike
- Run was in the torturous sand
- Must do it again soon - daughter is going to join me.

The biggest lesson for me in the last week has been that I have put in the hours to train , but have not put in the INTENSITY. As I was doing a bit of the back stroke and breast stroke through the majority of the swim, I realized that my fitness level was not as great as I anticipated even though my time was decent. I will be purchasing a heart rate monitor in the future to try and work toward training at a great enough intensity to really improve my aerobic capacity.

Also, I will have to consider a road bike. It was very frustrating to do well in the swim and have people zoom past me on the road/tri bikes as I plodded along on my cross whatever it is ( TREK 730) . HOWEVER, is this a function of my rinding capacity or is it the bike?

I loved having a program to work with each day from BT but don't know which to choose for my next section.

My overall question is where do I go from here? I have a base of fitness, but when looking through the sprint programs, I don't see any for those of us who have a base, but need to improve and expand from here.

ONE more thing - I finished - now how can I COMPETE? (chuckle, chuckle)

What do I do now?

- training plan?
- bike?

PS. I also have to mention how much I love this community and the information, guidance, laughs and overall support it has provided is just FANTASTIC!

Edited by Trbilbao 2013-10-19 10:33 PM

2013-10-19 11:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Completed My First Triathlon- Wooo Hooo - Um, Now What?
Congratulations! Its a great feeling, eh.

Don't worry about your intensity. Keep training and it will come. As for a road/tri-bike, when I first road my new road bike I immediately added about 20% to my average pace. After that, lots of time in the saddle (T.I.T.S.) has gradually increased my pace. As you get better bike fitness you'll get faster.

"From Here" is harder to say. Are there more events in your area? Our season here ends mid September and doesn't start until next May. For me, I'll be taking it easy-ish until the new year (just maintaining my fitness levels) and then I'll get going seriously again. I'll also be planning which events I want to do next year as well.

In addition to your training and the plans you follow from BT you could also check out training books from your library. Gale Bernhardt books are pretty good and there are lots of others (I imagine everyone has their own list of favourites). As for BT plans why not bump up to an Olympic plan. You can still do Sprints you'd just be training longer.

Edited by wenceslasz 2013-10-19 11:28 PM
2013-10-19 11:26 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Congrats on your first race! Look for another one and keep it going.

2013-10-20 2:58 PM

If you want to make that leap from complete to compete, I'd suggest a book, something along the lines of Triathlete's Training Bible. That should get you started, then come back here with any questions it raises.
2013-10-20 2:58 PM

If you want to make that leap from complete to compete, I'd suggest a book, something along the lines of Triathlete's Training Bible. That should get you started, then come back here with any questions it raises.
2013-10-20 6:18 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Congrats!

There are many books as well as on-line information to help you develop a training plan. In order to get faster the simplest answer is to put in the time to swim, bike, and run. Many basic plans cater to a time constrained individual where you SBR 2x a week, but to make solid improvements in any discpline one must increase the number of days a week for that discpline.

While its fun to buy a new bike for a sport you are excited about, its probably not really the reason others are passing you during the race. Do you belong to a gym? Does it have spin classes? A spin class is a great way for beginners to learn about intensity on the bike as one can really push hard and not have to worry about steering and falling over etc.  

Keep at it, and you will see improvements!

2013-10-20 6:27 PM
in reply to: LPJmom

User image

Keep it fun.

I wouldn't worry about investing in any expensive equipment until you are really sure you want to commit to that. It doesn't stop at just a new bike. There's pedals, wheels, components, etc.... the list goes on. I have a cross bike that I love and I don't care that people pass me-- I know I have a ways to go in fitness improvement before I can justify spending more on a bike (and I actually passed bigger guys on $4000 bikes in my tris...)

So yes-- more time training, however much you want to. If your triathlon was a tri-a-tri or a sprint you could consider moving up in distance, or you could just try to improve your time. I LOVE the training for the sake of training and the race is just the fun icing on the cake.
2013-10-20 6:43 PM
in reply to: Trbilbao

User image

Pro

Now what?  well, you said it yourself. your next race is with your daughter.

you could look at training plans.  some people benefit greatly from them.  me - I personally find them constraining.  But, hopefully, you've found some enjoyment in swimming, biking and running.  So now, just be consistent.  Triathlon rewards the tortoise vs the hare.  the person who makes training part of their recreation and lifestyle is the ultimate winner.  

Enjoy your new life as a triathlete.  Just keep on doing it.

oh, then you get to start shopping for all the things that will make you more comfortable and faster.

2013-10-20 6:49 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

In my mind, one of the great things about the sport is that there are lots of places to go. When I was only running, it was really hard to improve my time because I had good technique and a good plan and the same amount of time every year. With triathlons, there are lots of ways to improve: better training system, improved technique in a certain area, equipment, and race strategy. Choose something that you'd like to tweak, make a plan, and then work at it until you're satisfied. Then, choose another goal. Repeat ad nauseam.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Completed My First Triathlon- Wooo Hooo - Um, Now What? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wooo hooo

Started by fendermh1027
Views: 1038 Posts: 8

2008-09-25 7:04 PM ChrisM

Wooo Hooo!

Started by NomadicDawn
Views: 499 Posts: 3

2005-07-01 4:11 PM courtney_leone

Completed my first Triathlon!!!

Started by FishrCutB8
Views: 994 Posts: 11

2005-05-31 8:28 AM FishrCutB8

Wooo Freakin Hooo

Started by AmINuts
Views: 811 Posts: 16

2005-05-23 11:38 AM aliciaS

Dolly does 10K..WOOO HOOO

Started by dolly
Views: 850 Posts: 5

2004-04-27 10:24 PM keepitup
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 20, 2013
author : barryoberholzer
comments : 1
My lungs were burning and my legs were hurting but I had the biggest smile on my face as I ran on the red carpet and received my Ironman 70.3 medal.

date : October 5, 2012
author : MOlsen
comments : 1
Earlier this year I did something I never thought I would do: run a 10k. Last weekend I did something I thought was even further out of reach: complete a triathlon.
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.
date : August 31, 2011
author : gracetaBitha
comments : 2
What could've gone wrong did not go wrong. Everything that couldn't go right, went right. Result: The most wonderful, perfect, first triathlon for yours truly.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!