General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for info on Orange County..possible move Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-20 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern CT
Subject: Looking for info on Orange County..possible move
Heading out to CA later this week to check out the area for a possible move next summer. Hubby works in Long Beach (currently works from home in CT) and we have 2 kids (10 & 8) - looking for information about good vs. bad areas - good schools, etc. and of course - good places to train. Most have pointed us towards Irvine or Palos Verdes.

Would love to hear from some BTer's - feel free to PM me.

2013-10-24 10:05 PM
in reply to: skitri

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
Subject: RE: Looking for info on Orange County..possible move
Irvine is nice, PV is probalby more on the high end. We have been in Mission Viejo for the last 13 years and this is the best place I have lived, all things considered. Being born and raisded in So. Cal, and having been here all my life, I am very familiar with many locations. We do have a local Olympic distance here in MV that is a great race, well attended, swim is in our local Lake MV, bike in the canyon and the run is challenging. The only Orange County HIM is just down the road, did not take place last year, but looking forward to that race next year as well.
2013-10-25 9:29 AM
in reply to: skitri

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Originally posted by skitri

Heading out to CA later this week to check out the area for a possible move next summer. Hubby works in Long Beach (currently works from home in CT) and we have 2 kids (10 & 8) - looking for information about good vs. bad areas - good schools, etc. and of course - good places to train. Most have pointed us towards Irvine or Palos Verdes.

Would love to hear from some BTer's - feel free to PM me.

Everything is relative to price, but here is what I did and it worked really well for me.

Find out the attendance area for the public elementary school and look up the Academic Performance Indicator (API) for the elementary school.

Use the district website not the realtors.
The real estate website identify the closest school, but not necessarily the school of attendance.
You may want to know both.

It is a scale from 200-1000. Anything over 800 is ok.
900 and above is ideal.

The API can be found in two places

School Accountability Report Card on the school or district website or at http://www.ed-data.k12.ca.us/Pages/Home.aspx

Middle School and High School APIs are not very useful because they draw from a larger geographical area.

Elementary school API communicate a lot about the neighborhood, as they correlate to a lot more things beyond just academics... crime rate and family friendliness, for example. Again, attendance area schools. There are plenty of high performing charters in bad neighborhoods.

The only exception to this correlation is bad areas that are near major universities.
Places like Long Beach and San Marcos (in San Diego County) have high performing elementary schools in bad neighborhoods near the Cal States.

When I moved from LA County to San Diego county, I looked up the API for 60 schools on the internet. This narrowed our home search to about three neighborhoods.

It worked really well in targeting our effort.
2013-10-26 12:19 AM
in reply to: eabeam

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Newport and Huntington Beach all a good cross section of low middle and high income areas. They have schools with high api and low api (I live in Huntington and work in a Newport school. Best community for cycling is Irvine. The drive from Irvine to long beach each day wouldn't be too bad because your husband would be going against traffic. There are a lot of great tri teams in Long Beach, Newport Beach, and Irvine. Good luck to you!
2013-10-28 11:18 PM
in reply to: #4880787

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
Well I'll put in a plug for our hometown, Cypress. It's right next to Long Beach. Has kind of a small town feel but convenient to everything. Pretty wide range of housing options including lots of single family homes and some excellent townhome communities.

My daughter attended Cypress schools from pre-K through high school and we found them to be excellent. She's currently in her third year at UC Irvine. Cypress has it's own elementary district, and the junior high and high schools are Anaheim Union.

As for training, I'm .75 mile from the San Gabriel River trail which gives access to plenty of running and biking routes. 7 miles to the beach and connection to PCH north or south, or a long ride north on the trail. And there's a great pool and masters swim program at the Joint Forces reserve base at Los Alamitos.
2013-12-09 7:09 PM
in reply to: tjh

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Long Beach can be a good or bad place to live too.

The Belmont Shore, Naples and Belmont Heights are pretty good.

Some parts of Long Beach are pretty sketchy.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for info on Orange County..possible move Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Orange County / LA Ocean Swim Buddies???

Started by blondnik
Views: 1051 Posts: 4

2007-05-10 1:59 PM blondnik

Orange County Tri members?

Started by Cashmason
Views: 868 Posts: 4

2007-02-07 10:50 AM jbjboc

Orange County, CA

Started by Fikster
Views: 980 Posts: 5

2005-10-16 4:20 PM TriBodyboarder

Looking for training partners - North Orange County/South LA County Cali

Started by rsqdvr
Views: 1004 Posts: 1

2005-06-04 12:28 PM rsqdvr

South Orange County California

Started by JKat
Views: 881 Posts: 3

2005-10-16 4:18 PM TriBodyboarder
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
How do I know if my cleats need to be adjusted? And how do you know in which direction to adjust them? I have been having medial knee pain and edema but my LBS says the cleat placement is fine.
date : March 16, 2009
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to copy, move and delete your training log workouts. Use this feature to perform customization to your training plans.

date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?
date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!

date : May 9, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
After a hard workout, I really like having a Coke or Pepsi. How bad is this for recovery and for my health? Should I stop drinking orange juice because it is loaded with (fattening) carbs and sugar?
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Team BT
The toll of fate strikes as those with orange swim caps are beckoned to begin the journey. Ahhh, nothing like the feel of ice cold water seeping in your wetsuit to wake you up. GO!