General Discussion Race Reports! » Longboat Key International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Longboat Key International Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Longboat Key, Florida
United States
Longboat Key Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 2s
Overall Rank = 37/175
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/21
Pre-race routine:

up at 4:30, bagel and cream cheese with coffee for breakfast. Make the drive to the event, about 15 minutes from the hotel.
Event warmup:

In the water and acclimated before the start. Water was a nice 81*. Perfect for this time of year.
Swim
  • 08m 40s
  • 880 yards
  • 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim course was short, I think. I was in the first wave and stayed with the lead group for most of the way. I would like to know the actual length of the swim course.
What would you do differently?:

Put more time into swim training. I am a solid swimmer, but don't put in enough time. I believe that swimming requires the most time put in for the least time gained. In my 2 years of triathlon, I attribute my decreased swim time to tactic over training.
Transition 1
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

The transition area was very crowded compared to my other events, additionally this was the first one that has had the transition area in a parking lot (all others were on grass). The racks seemed a little small for the for the number of bikes per rack. This just slowed me down getting my cycling shoes on and getting out of T1. I was alone at my rack and the first one to get my bike. This just added to the crowded aspect of T1.

Not sure this is much to change. Additionally, they did not have the "kiddie pools" to step in to remove sand from your feet. That was a first. So there was added time for me to do this. I am not sure what to do to fix this, my feet are too prone to blister, so this is just the way it is for me.
Bike
  • 53m 28s
  • 20 miles
  • 22.44 mile/hr
Comments:

I am not a fan of an open road for a race. On top of that, there were some a**holes in cars. (I guess you are never going to avoid that). Part of the island had some rain earlier in the day and about a third of the course was wet. I have never been to this island before and it was beautiful. This was also the first race I have done with motorcycle refs. That was nice to see. For a open course, the organizers did a great job. A lot of volunteers and they did fantastic.

I was happy with my bike performance and aside from riding more, not much I would change.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

T2 was much easier. I was back and most of the bikes were off the rack. It made changing shoes and getting race belt and run hat on much easier.

Nothing, happy with my T2
Run
  • 40m 46s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

I was very pleased with my run. Very pleased, and surprised. Proper training really does yield great results. Excellent run course. I really gave it my all on the run and was thrilled with my result.

I need to do longer runs. I run 4 times a week and need to pick up the mileage a little. I also need to do a few runs other than races in the sunlight. I run in the very early morning (4:30-5:00am). The Florida sun is brutal. I need to suck it up and run in the true heat of the day a little more.
Post race
Warm down:

Water and ice. and some more water. Then I ate like a pig at the provided buffet that had free beer. Yup, FREE BEER! That is the way to finish the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing outside of transition area. The S/B/R was excellent for me. I was truly surprised with my run time, and very pleased with it.

Event comments:

Overall an excellent race and very organized. Highly recommended event. Nice amenities afterwards. The only disappointment was waiting around for results to be posted, as of 11:15am when we left they were still not available. Received an email with results early in the afternoon. All in all, a great event and location.

Last updated: 2013-10-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:40 | 880 yards | 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/21
Overall: 0/175
Performance: Good
Suit: n/a
Course: Out and around two buoys. Water was smooth as glass. No current / tide to impact swim.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:59
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:53:28 | 20 miles | 22.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/21
Wind: Little
Course: Fast and flat, out and back. There was a little "sea breeze" on the back portion. The course was NOT closed, but the was a very good police presence at the intersections as well as the turn around.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:46 | 05 miles | 08m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/21
Course: Sort of a two lap around a golf course. 1st lap was the outer ring, part on road then transitioning onto an asphalt golf cart path. Lap two continued on a golf cart path inside the first lap. Nice course, again with lots of volunteers guiding your way at every fork in the path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-10-21 8:52 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Longboat Key International Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Longboat Key International Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Longboat Key International Triathlon

Started by cwpeters
Views: 1196 Posts: 1

2012-10-28 7:55 PM cwpeters

Longboat Key Triathlon

Started by eslavs
Views: 1076 Posts: 1

2010-11-08 8:34 PM eslavs

Longboat Key Triathlon

Started by cwpeters
Views: 1494 Posts: 2

2010-11-01 5:36 AM eslavs

Longboat Key Triathlon

Started by PollyG
Views: 1119 Posts: 1

2010-10-25 7:15 PM PollyG

Longboat Key Triathlon

Started by AGStrohm
Views: 1238 Posts: 1

2010-10-24 6:52 PM AGStrohm
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : June 11, 2007
author : Cinci41
comments : 1
My thinking was that with three events, I could vary my training enough so it wouldn't grow stale prior to seeing positive results and finding the additional motivation I needed to continue training.

date : May 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on bricks, bike position, blisters, bike fit, the walk/run method, improving run times, key sessions, training post ITBS, HR and cadence, wetsuits and eating to not bonk
date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.

date : July 31, 2005
comments : 5
Your self-image serves as the operating instructions of your subconscious computer. If you don’t change the operating system, you will be doomed to repeat your past mistakes.