General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you wear your Tri shirt/shorts in Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-10-22 7:00 PM
in reply to: TriToy

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Do you wear your Tri shirt/shorts in Marathon

Originally posted by TriToy
Originally posted by trishie

Good lord NO

Why would you run in something with padding if you weren't biking beforehand?

this

this X2

you just don't.  ever.

In matters of principle, stand on your own.

In matters of style- go with the flow!

2013-10-22 7:26 PM
in reply to: Tripleplay44

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
I wouldn't...but I came into Tri's from running, so I have plenty of run gear and feel most comfy in it.
But, eh, do whatever you want. You won't be the only one.

(I would like to show up at a local race, decked out in my tri kit and win it. That would be funny.)
2013-10-22 7:56 PM
in reply to: BikesOfALesserGod

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Originally posted by BikesOfALesserGod

Reading some of the comments about a potential fashion faux pas wearing tri shorts for running made me do a double take on the URL to make sure I wasn't in Bikeforums.net or RBR.

Perfect
2013-10-22 9:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by McFuzz
Originally posted by brucemorgan

Originally posted by TriToy
Originally posted by trishie

Good lord NO

Why would you run in something with padding if you weren't biking beforehand?

this

You can certainly wear whatever you like, but aesthetically speaking tri shorts in a running-only race have a really high dork factor, and also say "noob" pretty loudly.  Functionally padded shorts are not necessary.

The Style Council (my three daughters) would say no. Good lord no.

Compression wear without padding is fine running wear.

Would the style council approve of anything or even leaving the premises?

LOL. My daughters are 18, 20, and 23.  They are pretty flexible having put up with their father as a MAMIL for many years.  Middle Age Man In Lycra.

Edited by brucemorgan 2013-10-22 9:43 PM
2013-10-23 7:41 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I often do run races, up to and including half marathon, in a tri top. Could care less if I look like a tool. In my case, it's because I like the big zip pocket in the back. My favorite half-marathon is in Cambodia, and I've got to carry some cash with me to get a tuk-tuk or taxi back to the hotel. In a few cases, I've even raced with my passport, cash, and credit card in a baggie in the zip pocket, because the hotel looked too dodgy to leave it at. It can also hold my asthma inhaler if the air's smoky. I've usually already got my race belt pocket filled with gel, so I need somewhere to put the rest of the stuff. Tri tops also dry quickly and don't chafe (I tend to get chafing with wet, loose layers). I pour a lot of water on myself, so that's a plus.

For women at least I don't think doing a run-only race in a tri top would look that odd. I do most of my warm climate run training in camisole tanks with built-in bras. There's not much difference between one of those and a tri top. I suppose the waist on a tri top is (or should be) tighter but in my case it usually isn't by very much. As for shorts, though, I prefer my running shorts for run training/races. Not sure why one would choose to run with a pad when it wasn't needed. But some runners race in compression shorts. Who's actually going to check if you're wearing tri shorts or compression shorts, and call you out for being a tool?
2013-10-23 8:43 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Ignore the style police and wear whatever feels comfortable and functional. I run only in compression/tri shorts. I am "knock-kneed," and used to hate running because of bad thigh chafe - even after just a 5K. With tri shorts, I never have a problem, and don't use body glide. As to the difference between compression running shorts and tri shorts - who is going to know? Some tri shorts are just as comfortable as "no pad" compression shorts.

2013-10-23 9:47 AM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by thebigb

Originally posted by Rogillio The ancient Greeks ran naked in the first marathons. I think this is generally frowned up in most events now though.

Depends on how fast you are

I once tried running naked on my treadmill at home. That much flapping around needs to be reserved for other activities.

2013-10-23 10:16 AM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

I don't mind running in tri-shorts and have never changed during an actual tri (only up to Oly, but wouldn't change for HIM either). I actually dislike most running shorts because of how they bunch up between my legs at time. I don't chafe in my tri shorts either.

Still, if I was going to run a local 10k, I'd wear running shorts with compression shorts underneath. At home doing a brick though? I keep my tri shorts on. I usually do my swim workouts in a pair of tri-shorts as well that have a very thin chamois.
2013-10-23 2:05 PM
in reply to: La Tortuga

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Originally posted by La Tortuga Whatever blows your skirt up. I ran my first ultra last weekend in 2XU compression shorts (like my tri shorts w/out the chamois). I think I was the only one who wasn't wearing 'running' shorts.

I have run a bunch of 1/2M and a full marathon in compression shorts. It may not look pretty as I'm a husky, bald guy with a handlebar moustache but I don't care. Its cooler, comfortable, and I don't chafe.

I've worn a Tri top singlet for hot 10km runs because its cooler (unzips) and has good storage

I've work knee high compression socks because the race started on a cold Canadian morning and I was wearing shorts.

I'd race in panties and a bra if it made me faster and more comfortable. If it makes other uncomfortable: they can quit staring and F off.
2013-10-23 7:51 PM
in reply to: La Tortuga

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
Originally posted by La Tortuga
I ran my first ultra last weekend in 2XU compression shorts (like my tri shorts w/out the chamois). I think I was the only one who wasn't wearing 'running' shorts. I had zero chaffing issues and therefore will continue to let my geek flag fly and stick to my comp. shorts.

I agree with this. Wear compression shorts if that is why you like your tri clothes - but leave the padded shorts at home. I like compression shorts - no chaffing and less "bounce" feeling to the legs. You could get away with a tri top at a running race since there are a lot of racers with similar shirts, but harder to pull off the bike shorts.
2013-10-23 10:20 PM
in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

I don't see why not. I ran in my tri shorts for my IM. It hardly has any padding so I didn't notice it at all. I toyed with the idea of wearing them for normal marathons but only ran 2 since I got into tris and both were damn cold, so I wore heavier basketball shorts for a little more insulation. Wear whatever you feel like wearing. There's thousands of people around who are more concerned about the possibility of shitting their pants on the run than they are about finding people who wear cloths they don't like.

2013-10-23 11:48 PM
in reply to: Tripleplay44

User image

Master
I wear tiny running shorts and a tank because it's dang hot here!
2013-10-23 11:54 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yes I often wear a tri outfit for marathons because of having no chaifing issues and I know how to keep cool with my triathlon gear.
2013-10-24 2:49 PM

User image

I've become so accustomed to training in tight compression shirts, bike shorts and tri suit that I'm simply more comfortable in compression.

Last marathon I ran in compression running shorts and my tri top. I didn't have the bike pad but it sure looked like a Tri Kit.

I never gave it a second thought. 26.2 miles of chafing VS worrying about what you look like = no brainer. comfort first - whatever works for you.

Not a lot of dudes running a marathon in compression shorts but a lot of women do. The older i get the more important keeping things in alignment becomes.
2013-10-24 3:51 PM
in reply to: dswezey

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

I cannot get over how many people here seemingly get chaffed from normal running clothes.  

2013-10-25 8:16 AM

User image

"knock kneed" runners will have thigh chafe issues in loose running shorts. I have no idea how common it is, but I can tell you that it isn't pleasant, and I used to hate running because of that chafe. Now I love to run, and could care less if someone docks me style points for running in compression shorts. I am no speed demon, but often in the top third overall in runs at 56 years young.

2013-10-25 8:26 AM
in reply to: jbrookscga78

User image

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
I have a HM next Sunday and it is supposed to be very cold at the start. I plan to wear a bike jersey over a long sleeve so I can put my gloves, arm sleeves, and/or hat in the back pockets once I warm up. The zipper on the jersey will help me modulate my temp too. It may look odd, but the bike jersey is so much more functional than a running shirt for these conditions.
2013-10-25 12:04 PM
in reply to: dillrob

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by dillrob I have a HM next Sunday and it is supposed to be very cold at the start. I plan to wear a bike jersey over a long sleeve so I can put my gloves, arm sleeves, and/or hat in the back pockets once I warm up. The zipper on the jersey will help me modulate my temp too. It may look odd, but the bike jersey is so much more functional than a running shirt for these conditions.

See, that would drive me nuts having all that gear back there bouncing around.  Long socks with the feet cut off = arm warmers.  Cheap knit gloves at Target for a dollar a pair.  Same for hat.  Ditch them all when you warm up.  Just a suggestion.

2013-10-25 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by dillrob I have a HM next Sunday and it is supposed to be very cold at the start. I plan to wear a bike jersey over a long sleeve so I can put my gloves, arm sleeves, and/or hat in the back pockets once I warm up. The zipper on the jersey will help me modulate my temp too. It may look odd, but the bike jersey is so much more functional than a running shirt for these conditions.

See, that would drive me nuts having all that gear back there bouncing around.  Long socks with the feet cut off = arm warmers.  Cheap knit gloves at Target for a dollar a pair.  Same for hat.  Ditch them all when you warm up.  Just a suggestion.

Bike jersey?  In a half marathon?  The scope of such a style transgression boggles the mind.  They sell running jackets for just such an occasion.

Seriously I've seen people run in bike jerseys with the back pockets full of stuff, all bouncing around against their butt. Personally I hate things bouncing as I run so I cinch my Amphipod belt pretty tight. 

Why do you need to remove layers?  Unless you're in some place that starts at 35 and ends up at 65 or some such - a wide span of temperatures during the race, then I would I just plan on being a bit chilly at the start of the race and fine after the first few miles.  I've only found it necessary to remove gloves during a race which I stashed in Amphipod's pouch.

2013-10-25 2:00 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by brucemorgan
..I would I just plan on being a bit chilly at the start of the race and fine after the first few miles.  I've only found it necessary to remove gloves during a race which I stashed in Amphipod's pouch.

Long socks with the feet cut off = arm warmers.  Cheap knit gloves at Target for a dollar a pair.  Same for hat.  Ditch them all when you warm up.  Just a suggestion.

Agreed with these. During a race, the less dead weight, the better.
2014-01-25 10:49 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

San Diego
Completely agree - no chafing, pockets and compression - why not?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you wear your Tri shirt/shorts in Marathon Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

cheep shirt to wear for tri !

Started by mr.rogersisinthehood
Views: 1764 Posts: 16

2011-07-04 3:04 PM TriAya

Tri suit or shorts and a shirt?

Started by ccotten
Views: 8692 Posts: 18

2010-04-04 8:17 AM chudley

DNF'd Tri, Can I wear race t-shirt? Pages: 1 2

Started by 3558
Views: 2535 Posts: 28

2009-07-03 12:26 AM hondo77

Tri suit or shorts and shirt??? Pages: 1 2

Started by MikeTri37
Views: 2633 Posts: 37

2007-09-06 7:32 AM Machiavelo

TriSuit vs. Tri Shorts and Shirt

Started by iwantotri
Views: 1561 Posts: 13

2006-08-14 6:38 PM iwantotri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : October 19, 2010
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Do you have your first triathlon coming up? This article will give you a few tips on what to wear for your triathlon.

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?
date : February 11, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I am still pretty weak in the water and have a pair of Zoomers that I use for drills. What do you think of wearing fins to swim in the pool until I build up endurance?

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : July 17, 2005
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 8
What to wear under the wetsuit? What to wear for the bike and the run? Good thing someone invented the wonderful trisuit, to which we’ve become accustomed. It’s supposed to make our lives so simple.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle