General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you wear your Tri shirt/shorts in Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-10-22 11:57 AM
in reply to: Tripleplay44

Subject: RE: Do you wear your Tri shirt/shorts in Marathon
I just wear regular tights (without padding) and a tri top for triathlons. For running only events I wear the tights and a running shirt (dependent on the weather). I live in a small town and people usually don't wear tights for running events, but it is what is the most comfortable for me. I do get some comments at times, but it doesn't bother me. I say wear what is comfortable for you!

2013-10-22 12:05 PM

Plano, TX
I did a HM two weekends ago and it was 70 degrees and humid. I'm also a very heavy sweater (like I have to ring my socks out after long runs in heat). While I would normally (in personally acceptable running temperatures like those in the 40s and 50s) prefer a regular running shirt and running shorts, I opted for the tri gear. I was glad I did....I would have been DRENCHED afterwards and very uncomfortable about half way through the race.

I too was worried about the dork factor, but the funny thing is that my wife, who is my personal fashion police, said that she almost wouldn't recognize me in non-tri gear during a race (after doing exclusively tris for a couple years). I'm sure there were a couple people out there wondering why I was wearing what I was, but who cares? People look rediculous in those races on purpose all the time...what's one more

Do what you'll be comfortable with....forget the haters.
2013-10-22 12:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
seriously if its expected to rain and we all know if its just mild or normal precipitation the race goes on. I
will be wearing my racing kit. Mine will dry fast and minimally holds water.

Who is the tool now , while i am watching this unexpected "Wet T-shirt" contest.

Edited by strykergt 2013-10-22 12:20 PM
2013-10-22 12:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
I was hoping this was a thread about wearing tri shorts in an IM marathon.

To those joke about wearing tri shorts in a regular marathon, would you then change out of a tri suit for the IM marathon? Why or why not? I bet the 2 minutes or less it takes to do that has no material impact to your overall time. Food for thought.....

Edited by FranzZemen 2013-10-22 12:32 PM
2013-10-22 12:35 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by FranzZemen

I was hoping this was a thread about wearing tri shorts in an IM marathon.

To those joke about wearing tri shorts in a regular marathon, would you then change out of a tri suit for the IM marathon? Why or why not? I bet the 2 minutes or less it takes to do that has no material impact to your overall time. Food for thought.....

I only run in tri shorts and and have no plans to change before the run at IMAZ.
2013-10-22 12:40 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Pro

Originally posted by FranzZemen I was hoping this was a thread about wearing tri shorts in an IM marathon. To those joke about wearing tri shorts in a regular marathon, would you then change out of a tri suit for the IM marathon? Why or why not? I bet the 2 minutes or less it takes to do that has no material impact to your overall time. Food for thought.....

I bet you would be 2 minutes slower than your overall time would have been had you not taken the two minutes.

2013-10-22 12:47 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by FranzZemen I was hoping this was a thread about wearing tri shorts in an IM marathon. To those joke about wearing tri shorts in a regular marathon, would you then change out of a tri suit for the IM marathon? Why or why not? I bet the 2 minutes or less it takes to do that has no material impact to your overall time. Food for thought.....

I bet you would be 2 minutes slower than your overall time would have been had you not taken the two minutes.

No way. The premium gained for being comfortable the next 3 to 6 hrs is far more than the penality of changing. My opinion and experience.
2013-10-22 12:52 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I would not wear tri shorts in a marathon mainly because they are not as comfortable to me than my running shorts. My running shorts look very much like tri shorts just without the padding. To me it seems like just another potential place for chafing.I have worn a tri top in a marathon and would again if it was a course not well supported. I like to have a few gels and if I going to have to carry them I prefer to have a few gel flasks. My tri top has two pockets in the back that are perfect for carrying them. I've yet to find a garment that is more running specific that does a better job af carrying such things.
2013-10-22 1:06 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member
I've tried run shorts, but the legs rub and I get massive burning - even at <10% bf. So I'll run in tri shorts (Zoot Ultra - they barely have any padding anyway) and enjoy 0 chaffing/blisters. I always wear a compression/underarmor top and then the weather determines if there's anything overtop. I can understand not wearing something with a big bike short chamois though.

Fashion police can critique but only if they can beat me.
2013-10-22 1:28 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio

No way. The premium gained for being comfortable the next 3 to 6 hrs is far more than the penality of changing. My opinion and experience.

Yeah, that's right.....I wasn't thinking marathon for some reason.

2013-10-22 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

I believe the general rule of thumb to be wear whatever you want unless you're running sub 2:40, then the split short becomes absolutely mandatory.  

2013-10-22 2:03 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Master
PNW
Originally posted by brucemorgan

Originally posted by TriToy
Originally posted by trishie

Good lord NO

Why would you run in something with padding if you weren't biking beforehand?

this

You can certainly wear whatever you like, but aesthetically speaking tri shorts in a running-only race have a really high dork factor, and also say "noob" pretty loudly.  Functionally padded shorts are not necessary.

The Style Council (my three daughters) would say no. Good lord no.

Compression wear without padding is fine running wear.

This. Compression wear without padding, FTW.
2013-10-22 2:07 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Pro

Originally posted by thebigb

I believe the general rule of thumb to be wear whatever you want unless you're running sub 2:40, then the split short becomes absolutely mandatory.  

I picked up a pair of split shorts with 1.5 inch inseam for my kid yesterday.  The store called to say they were in and when I showed up and told them I was there for the shorts they all looked at me like I was some kind of freak.  One of th egals handed them to me and I held them up to look at them and one of the dudes goes, "is THAT what you wanted?"  I started laughing and told them they weren't for me.....the guy goes, "yeah, seriously, you have to be FAST to wear those or it just doesn't work".  I said, "I don't look fast enough?".....and he says, "no, sorry, there's no way you're fast enough to outrun what people in cars would be yelling at you".  HAHAHAHAHA!!!

2013-10-22 2:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
I wear my tri shorts for all my runs/races. They have a very thin chamois in them, dork or no dork factor, it's about what comfortable.
2013-10-22 2:12 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

I picked up a pair of split shorts with 1.5 inch inseam for my kid yesterday.  The store called to say they were in and when I showed up and told them I was there for the shorts they all looked at me like I was some kind of freak.  One of th egals handed them to me and I held them up to look at them and one of the dudes goes, "is THAT what you wanted?"  I started laughing and told them they weren't for me.....the guy goes, "yeah, seriously, you have to be FAST to wear those or it just doesn't work".  I said, "I don't look fast enough?".....and he says, "no, sorry, there's no way you're fast enough to outrun what people in cars would be yelling at you".  HAHAHAHAHA!!!

That's awesome!  I've got a couple pair of Nike 2" split shorts that I'll usually pull out for track days and they always garner looks and comments from non runners but I figure when they can beat me I'll start listening to them.  Same goes with really loud shoes, you gotta be fast to pull off loud shoes or you just look silly.  

2013-10-22 2:59 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
The ancient Greeks ran naked in the first marathons. I think this is generally frowned up in most events now though.

2013-10-22 3:12 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by Rogillio The ancient Greeks ran naked in the first marathons. I think this is generally frowned up in most events now though.

Depends on how fast you are

2013-10-22 4:05 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Originally posted by brucemorgan

Originally posted by TriToy
Originally posted by trishie

Good lord NO

Why would you run in something with padding if you weren't biking beforehand?

this

You can certainly wear whatever you like, but aesthetically speaking tri shorts in a running-only race have a really high dork factor, and also say "noob" pretty loudly.  Functionally padded shorts are not necessary.

The Style Council (my three daughters) would say no. Good lord no.

Compression wear without padding is fine running wear.

Would the style council approve of anything or even leaving the premises?
2013-10-22 4:07 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Originally posted by Rogillio

I'm going for comfort and wore bike bibs and then running shorts for both of my IM's. Now I did switch from a bike jersey to a tri top for IMCdA (I should have stayed with the jersey).

If it's likely to be wet, I'll wear something less likely to chafe when I run.
2013-10-22 4:22 PM
in reply to: todds

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Originally posted by todds

I wear my tri shorts for all my runs/races. They have a very thin chamois in them, dork or no dork factor, it's about what comfortable.

x2. I have one pair of running shorts where the elastic is still functional left. I find tri shorts comfortable and don't see the point in buying more running shorts since tri shorts work for biking, running, and OW swimming. I couldn't care less what the fashion police have to say about it.
2013-10-22 4:36 PM
in reply to: KebaNYC

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
i second this!

2013-10-22 4:55 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

For a lot of run races I wear my trisuit and depending on the weather (cool) I may wear a shirt over it. I love running in my trisuit because I'm a triathlete at heart!

Below looking like a true tri-dork at the start of the 2010 Boilermaker 15k!

2013-10-22 5:14 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

I saw a friend of mine out running on the local trail...

Running in full tri-gear

2013-10-22 5:38 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by Donto

For a lot of run races I wear my trisuit and depending on the weather (cool) I may wear a shirt over it. I love running in my trisuit because I'm a triathlete at heart!

It's not the tri suit that makes you look like  a dork, it's the compression socks :P  

2013-10-22 5:43 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Donto

It's not the tri suit that makes you look like  a dork, it's the compression socks :P  

Jeez and I thought it was my race belt with a 6oz bottle attached filled with a 2 gel mix, LOL! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you wear your Tri shirt/shorts in Marathon Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

cheep shirt to wear for tri !

Started by mr.rogersisinthehood
Views: 1764 Posts: 16

2011-07-04 3:04 PM TriAya

Tri suit or shorts and a shirt?

Started by ccotten
Views: 8692 Posts: 18

2010-04-04 8:17 AM chudley

DNF'd Tri, Can I wear race t-shirt? Pages: 1 2

Started by 3558
Views: 2535 Posts: 28

2009-07-03 12:26 AM hondo77

Tri suit or shorts and shirt??? Pages: 1 2

Started by MikeTri37
Views: 2633 Posts: 37

2007-09-06 7:32 AM Machiavelo

TriSuit vs. Tri Shorts and Shirt

Started by iwantotri
Views: 1561 Posts: 13

2006-08-14 6:38 PM iwantotri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : October 19, 2010
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Do you have your first triathlon coming up? This article will give you a few tips on what to wear for your triathlon.

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?
date : February 11, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I am still pretty weak in the water and have a pair of Zoomers that I use for drills. What do you think of wearing fins to swim in the pool until I build up endurance?

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : July 17, 2005
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 8
What to wear under the wetsuit? What to wear for the bike and the run? Good thing someone invented the wonderful trisuit, to which we’ve become accustomed. It’s supposed to make our lives so simple.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle