General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin Pain - Diagnosis Needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-22 12:52 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Subject: Shin Pain - Diagnosis Needed
I have a pain in my left shin and I want to describe exactly where it is.

Its about 4 inches below my knee. I feel I can put my finger right on the source of the pain and when I do my finger is right on top of my shin bone.

I can run just fine including speed sessions. So far I have chosen to ice it and ignore it.

Shin splints are supposed to be aches. This feels like it is right on the bone and is more of a tightness.

Ideas?

Half marathon in 5 days. Should I stay off it?

2013-10-22 9:08 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Veteran
Tucson
Subject: RE: Shin Pain - Diagnosis Needed
I am no expert so I don't have great advice but this sounds like a tibial stress reaction. Is the spot small and only on one leg? I had what I thought was mild shin splints on my left shin for months. I ignored it and eventually it localized to a small area mid shin. I shut down my running as I had about one million other injuries at the time. This was the one I was not willing to mess with. Who wants to deal with a full on stress fracture? I don't know what advice I can give other than be careful. I am sorry you are dealing with this so close to a race.
2013-10-23 5:38 AM
in reply to: desertchica

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
I'm sorry it is so close to a race. I had shin slpints so bad i could hardly walk, much less run and posted below is what cured mine.

In order to run the race, really stretch the calves prior to the race. I would not run any more until race day and I would start icing 3 - 4 times every day. Get a foam roller and really work your calves good 3 - 4 times per day and get a deep tissue massage if you can in the next day or so.

Just prior to the race starting, really warm up the calves, don't run to hard because if it blows up on you, it will shut you down.

Be careful and good luck

Shin Splints
I have struggled with shin splints and here is what helped me.
1. Get the proper shoe, what is good for 1 person may not be good for another depending on your feet.
2. 180 steps per minute, this is a big one for me and made the most difference. Shorten your stride, be sure to get the 180 steps per minute. Also run on bent knees. If your knees are locked while running, you will land on your heels. Get someone to video your run and see if you are a heel striker.
3. Get a foam roller or “the stick” and roll your calves out. This hurts like all get out but the “hot spots” have to be loosened up.
4. Start over and only increase mileage gradually, start with 2/10’s mile if necessary and run that distance for a couple of weeks, then increase to 3/10’s for a couple of weeks etc etc.
5. Avoid hills if possible during your recovery and do not do intervals.
6. Run a little every day, unless you are hurting, if you are hurting take a few days/weeks off.
7. Stretch your calves before and after running.
8. I got the little 4 or 6 oz. Dixie paper cups and filled them with water and put in the freezer to freeze. After running take one out of the freezer, and really massage it into the side of your calf next to the shin bone until it has melted, again this hurts a LOT.
9. Get a deep tissue or sports massage if you can.
10. Do lots of toe/foot raises to exercise the shin muscle.
I am not a doctor but this is what worked for me. Good Luck!
2013-10-23 7:55 AM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
I should have read these posts yesterday as....

• ..last night I went out for my last taper 10k.

• My shins were a little sore again and are so this morning. I iced well after my run last night and will probably drop my last taper run tomorrow.

I think it is likely linked to my shoes. I went back and calulated my milage on them and they are very close to 500 miles. I had hoped to nurse them through to race day (nothing new on race week principle) but am now thinking I may try to pick up the identical shoe today.

Deperately hoping it does not blow up on Sunday. My kids are coming to the race :-(
    2013-11-22 12:58 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
    Originally posted by KWDreamun

I'm sorry it is so close to a race. I had shin slpints so bad i could hardly walk, much less run and posted below is what cured mine.

In order to run the race, really stretch the calves prior to the race. I would not run any more until race day and I would start icing 3 - 4 times every day. Get a foam roller and really work your calves good 3 - 4 times per day and get a deep tissue massage if you can in the next day or so.

Just prior to the race starting, really warm up the calves, don't run to hard because if it blows up on you, it will shut you down.

Be careful and good luck

Shin Splints
    I have struggled with shin splints and here is what helped me.
    1. Get the proper shoe, what is good for 1 person may not be good for another depending on your feet.
    2. 180 steps per minute, this is a big one for me and made the most difference. Shorten your stride, be sure to get the 180 steps per minute. Also run on bent knees. If your knees are locked while running, you will land on your heels. Get someone to video your run and see if you are a heel striker.
    3. Get a foam roller or “the stick” and roll your calves out. This hurts like all get out but the “hot spots” have to be loosened up.
    4. Start over and only increase mileage gradually, start with 2/10’s mile if necessary and run that distance for a couple of weeks, then increase to 3/10’s for a couple of weeks etc etc.
    5. Avoid hills if possible during your recovery and do not do intervals.
    6. Run a little every day, unless you are hurting, if you are hurting take a few days/weeks off.
    7. Stretch your calves before and after running.
    8. I got the little 4 or 6 oz. Dixie paper cups and filled them with water and put in the freezer to freeze. After running take one out of the freezer, and really massage it into the side of your calf next to the shin bone until it has melted, again this hurts a LOT.
    9. Get a deep tissue or sports massage if you can.
    10. Do lots of toe/foot raises to exercise the shin muscle.
    I am not a doctor but this is what worked for me. Good Luck!

I probably should have said a better thanks you for these pointers. My half marathon went very well.

I still get these pain points right on the front of my left shin. Only the left and only after some runs. Rolling hurts like a b#$@$%^rd but really works. I am also progressing though some plans to shorten my stride, get more mid-foot and otherwise stregthen my lower leg.

Still not sure if it is shin splints. That seems like such a catch all phrase for lower leg trouble.

Dropping anouther 20lb would probably help too.

Edited by badmo77a 2013-11-22 1:05 PM
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin Pain - Diagnosis Needed Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Shin Splints/Calf Pain/Knee Pain ????

Started by clarkka7
    Views: 3895 Posts: 6

2008-03-04 4:38 PM clarkka7

Another knee diagnosis needed

Started by BrianO
    Views: 636 Posts: 1

2007-08-29 10:37 AM BrianO

calf pain - diagnosis + help?

Started by huengsolo
    Views: 759 Posts: 5

2006-02-20 1:57 AM huengsolo

Shin pain - race coming up

Started by mtb-rider
    Views: 1065 Posts: 5

2005-03-29 7:50 PM mtb-rider

Shin pain since high school

Started by IWanttoTri
    Views: 1652 Posts: 19

2005-03-31 4:15 PM TRIBMAC
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : March 23, 2011
    author : AMSSM
    comments : 0
    What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.

date : September 17, 2008
    I still have heel pain and shin pain, and now I've got a weird pain in the center of my foot. Do you think I should have an x-ray to make sure that I don't have a stress fracture in my foot?
    date : April 14, 2008
    What you're describing sounds very much like chronic exertional compartment syndrome. This can cause pain and numbness like you're describing.

date : March 6, 2008
    Hip pain in an athlete involves a wide range of possible diagnoses. Furthermore, people of different age groups are prone to different kinds of injuries due to different stages of bone development.
    date : October 3, 2007
    The symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, recovery and prevention of iliotibial band syndrome caused by excessive friction of the distal portion of the iliotibial band during activities like running.

date : June 11, 2007
    comments : 1
    Groin pain in athletes has a long differential diagnosis. As a triathlete, and the area you are describing, you are more likely to have a strain of the iliopsoas, or hip flexor.
    date : November 6, 2006
    author : acbadger
    comments : 2
    Tips for completing the run portion of your first triathlon plus exercises and stretches to possibly help your shins.

date : June 5, 2006
    author : TriDoc5280
    When trying to understand what your body is telling you with a sensation of pain, it is helpful to be analytical. Pay close attention to the characteristics of the pain to help with diagnosis.