in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Subject: RE: World Series

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by jonD81

Congratulations to the Red Sox and their fans!!  No doubt they were the best team in this series. 

I don't know much about the contracts for the Sox players or that organization, but hopefully that team is built for the long haul like the Cardinals and we can see another World Series between these teams because it was a good one for sure.

Talking about youth and long haul, is there a pitcher on the Cards that doesn't throw GAS? Wachha was throwing 95+ cheese and a 74 MPH uncle charlie. Every reliever was throwing serious heat. Sox have Napoli, Drew, Salty and Ellsbury on the market. Lester has an option year left but after this they have to wrap him up for, ugh, close to Greinke money. Ellsbury will look for Crawford money, so he's gone. Napoli and Salty I hope they bring back. I never expected this team to win 80 games, nevermind win the division and WS. This was supposed to be their transition year after dumping all that cash last year. Amazing what they did. I don't think anyone is working today, it's all Sox all day.

Have fun.....we're just looking at next year already....it's baseball, it's just life here.

Tritoy - I don't have to eat any words.....my bet is Wacha will be dominant for years....

Maybe he will, but you did state he's "damn near unhittable right now" which wasn't quite the case last night.

2013-10-31 1:13 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mrbbrad

Congratulations to the Red Sox and their fans!!  No doubt they were the best team in this series. 

I don't know much about the contracts for the Sox players or that organization, but hopefully that team is built for the long haul like the Cardinals and we can see another World Series between these teams because it was a good one for sure.

Talking about youth and long haul, is there a pitcher on the Cards that doesn't throw GAS? Wachha was throwing 95+ cheese and a 74 MPH uncle charlie. Every reliever was throwing serious heat. Sox have Napoli, Drew, Salty and Ellsbury on the market. Lester has an option year left but after this they have to wrap him up for, ugh, close to Greinke money. Ellsbury will look for Crawford money, so he's gone. Napoli and Salty I hope they bring back. I never expected this team to win 80 games, nevermind win the division and WS. This was supposed to be their transition year after dumping all that cash last year. Amazing what they did. I don't think anyone is working today, it's all Sox all day.

Have fun.....we're just looking at next year already....it's baseball, it's just life here.

Tritoy - I don't have to eat any words.....my bet is Wacha will be dominant for years....

Maybe he will, but you did state he's "damn near unhittable right now" which wasn't quite the case last night.

That would depend.  YOU couldn't hit him.

2013-10-31 1:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Commentary about how the popularity of baseball has declined.  I have been listening to sports radio for a couple hours this morning and still didn't know who won.  There is no talk about it.  When I logged on to ESPN radio, they didn't even have a picture or headline.  It was something about football.

I had to finally google it to see that boston won.

Edited by Kido 2013-10-31 1:22 PM
2013-10-31 1:45 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by mrbbrad

That would depend.  YOU couldn't hit him.

You hold him, I'll hit him.

2013-10-31 2:00 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Originally posted by Kido

Commentary about how the popularity of baseball has declined.  I have been listening to sports radio for a couple hours this morning and still didn't know who won.  There is no talk about it.  When I logged on to ESPN radio, they didn't even have a picture or headline.  It was something about football.

I think the World Series ends up being such a regional thing. If you were in STL or BOS you knew about it, similarly if you listen to radio in those two locales they will be talking about it for days. ESPN gives up on baseball once the playoffs start because FOX and TBS/TNT have all the coverage AND the NBA happens to start up at the same time, so those all important 2nd regular season games that happen to be on ESPN trump The World Series when it comes to importance on Sportscenter and such.
2013-10-31 2:16 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I thought the world series was a periodic event.  ... '86, '04, '07, '13...

They play it EVERY year??

2013-10-31 2:33 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

It seems like every year here.

2013-10-31 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

It seems like every year here.

Ouch.  

2013-10-31 2:44 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
2013-10-31 3:17 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by Kido

I think the World Series ends up being such a regional thing. If you were in STL or BOS you knew about it, similarly if you listen to radio in those two locales they will be talking about it for days. ESPN gives up on baseball once the playoffs start because FOX and TBS/TNT have all the coverage AND the NBA happens to start up at the same time, so those all important 2nd regular season games that happen to be on ESPN trump The World Series when it comes to importance on Sportscenter and such.

I'll agree that it can be a regional thing, but even here in Philly there is historically more coverage of the NBA finals than the World Series, and the Sixers are much further removed from relevance than the Phils. I was never a huge baseball fan but have steadily lost interest as salaries climbed and seasons got interrupted by labor disputes. Maybe it's because I was a Washington Senators fan as a kid and they abandoned me. I switched to the Orioles and it just wasn't the same, though they did win in the early '80s. They beat the Phils just before I moved to Philly. I then became a fair weather Phillies fan but it's just not in my blood. Enjoyed '93 much more than '08. and they din't even win in '93. Yeah, baseball popularity is declining.

2013-10-31 3:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

This is t. Loiuis......either we watch baseball or we shoot at each other.  Luckily baseball is still BIG here.....we got nothing else.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-10-31 3:21 PM

2013-10-31 5:27 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

This is t. Loiuis......either we watch baseball or we shoot at each other.  Luckily baseball is still BIG here.....we got nothing else.

Toasted ravioli?

2013-11-04 7:24 AM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Regular
Madrid
Not world series related but still on the subject of baseball. Last week a friend of mine that pitches for the Royals came out with a friend of his that catches for the Royals to do a baseball clinic here in Madrid. So theres no confusion Jeremy Guthrie is #11 in the Royals Jersey, Salvador Perez is the big guy in the Royals sweatshirt, and I'm the guy in the Mizzou shirt and Cubs hat. www.madridleaguebaseball.blogspot.com
2013-11-04 9:49 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
That's awesome. Looks like the kids are having a blast. I remember I went to a Wade Boggs clinic as a kid and absolutely loved every second of being on the field with him. What a great day for those kids. I like the old school Jordan White Sox jersey that kid is rocking too.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » World Series Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

World Series Game 4

Started by TriMom217
Views: 1182 Posts: 20

2004-10-28 8:42 PM TriMom217

World Series - Game 3

Started by TypeA Girl Pilot
Views: 852 Posts: 10

2004-10-27 6:14 PM TriMom217

World Series Game 2

Started by TriMom217
Views: 1149 Posts: 15

2004-10-25 12:34 PM TypeA Girl Pilot

World Series is underway

Started by Browe79
Views: 1102 Posts: 16

2004-10-24 12:44 PM c2fd

World Series Party

Started by TriWitch
Views: 763 Posts: 4

2004-10-22 12:42 PM max
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 0
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : December 14, 2004
author : Team BT
Q&A with Siri Lagley, winner of the ITU President’s Cup racing series two years in a row and coach of Susan Williams, US Athens triathlete.
date : September 5, 2004
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.

date : September 4, 2004
2003 Ultraman World Champion.
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!

My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.

Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.