General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Flip Belt" - anyone tried? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-23 10:14 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: "Flip Belt" - anyone tried?

I saw these at the Baltimore Marathon expo and was intrigued.

http://flipbelt.com/

I need to carry 4-5 GUs for my marathon and the pocket on my running shorts doesn't fit them. (I don't like running in my tri top either ) I'll also need to carry my hotel key.

Has anyone tried this? Thoughts?

2013-10-23 10:43 AM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Milwaukee
Subject: RE: "Flip Belt" - anyone tried?
I have one.

I don't like the arm holder type things to hold my iphone. It works great for that.

You may or may not like it for GUs.

It's not "pockets".. it's just a tube with slits in places. The iphone stays where you put it because that's how wide it is. Small things are able to move around... and do.

2013-10-23 11:25 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by trishie

I saw these at the Baltimore Marathon expo and was intrigued.

http://flipbelt.com/

I need to carry 4-5 GUs for my marathon and the pocket on my running shorts doesn't fit them. (I don't like running in my tri top either ) I'll also need to carry my hotel key.

Has anyone tried this? Thoughts?

You can attach GUs to a race belt with small rubberbands.just loop the band over the top of the gu, around behind the belt, and then around the bottom of the GU. Small rubberbands work best.

You can leave your hotel key at the front desk of your hotel--you don't need to bring it with you.
2013-10-23 11:41 AM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
http://www.spibelt.com/products/specialty-spibelt/spibelt-with-gel-...

Mine must be an older version. It has thin, paracord like loops that hold gels really well. Plus, you can use mini zip ties (or safety pins) to attach a race number using the gel loops.
I got mine for less than $20.
2013-10-23 11:47 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Have not tried this product but another solution are shorts with a "belt" of pockets on the back. The most popular version are "Race Ready" shorts, but I'm not a fan of the styles that my LRS carries. Looks like ones on their site are much more stylish these days.

I found a pair of similar shorts (backside lined with pockets with elastic so nothing falls out) from Adidas? Asics? that are cute and functional. I ran a marathon with 2 packs of sports beans and 2 gels in the back with no bounce or notice-ability whatsoever. Might be worth looking into.

2013-10-23 12:46 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

GU is usually standard fare on most marathon courses.  Are they not offering any?  

2013-10-23 1:03 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by thebigb

GU is usually standard fare on most marathon courses.  Are they not offering any?  

I've been surprised that marathon courses I've done seem to only offer one, maybe two aid stations with anything other than water/sports drink. At Chicago they had Gatorade Chews at mile 14ish and then GU at mile 18. So... only one aid station with gels. Nashville RnR had 2.

Only one race I've done (Cowtown in TX) offers more than 2 - they offer gels at 6 aid stations according to their web site.

I guess you could grab more than one at each gel station but then you'd be right back to carrying them again.

2013-10-23 1:19 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

Philly has Cliff Shot Blocks and I prefer GU

2013-10-23 1:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by trishie

Philly has Cliff Shot Blocks and I prefer GU

Well that does pose a problem.  What about just going with a flask on a belt?  Otherwise, the ol' tried and true method of safetypinning them still works well.  I've also had no issue getting 4-5 gels in a spibelt before.  As was mentioned, I'd just leave the room key at the front desk.  

Edited by thebigb 2013-10-23 1:29 PM
2013-10-23 2:08 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Even when the course provides GU, I still bring my own. It is all about getting through the aid station as quick as possible.
A) I don't want to have to pick and choose flavors. Most are just fine, so this is a small point.
B) Usually the volunteers are holding out cups, but the gels are on a table. In a big race, this means there is often a crowd that you need to push through.
C) the big one...I like to eat down half of it, and take a sip of water with the second half. If I have my own, I can start eating that gel 50m from the aid station and be ready to finish it off with a quick water hand off.

Also, I race in the asics 55 short. The 55 means 5" seam and 5 pockets. 4 are perfect for 1 gel in each and the last is zippered. I will start the marathon with one in my hand (especially if it is cold) and 4 in the pockets.
2013-10-23 4:11 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Veteran
Littleton, CO
my wife and I both got one of these this weekend at the rock n roll expo great for our phones which I have not been bringing with me on my 15+ mile runs.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Flip Belt" - anyone tried? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

To flip or not to flip? Pages: 1 2

Started by BigDaddyD79
Views: 3003 Posts: 34

2012-11-08 11:37 PM sand101

Fuel Belt / Race Belt

Started by pga_mike
Views: 3324 Posts: 8

2010-06-11 10:43 AM bufit323

Fuel Belt / Race Belt virgin attachment question

Started by big john h
Views: 1133 Posts: 3

2008-04-24 11:50 AM big john h

Swimming Grudge belt - anyone use one?

Started by hangloose
Views: 1032 Posts: 9

2006-12-15 6:27 PM BANNED

Flip turns - They wear anyone else out?

Started by RJSuperfreaky
Views: 2927 Posts: 23

2006-06-27 12:30 PM kenail
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
My right knee has a pain in the front, just below the kneecap. I walked 24 miles of IM Louisville. No pain while walking but it started immediately when trying to run.

date : February 18, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 7
Looking for a liquid hydration system for your runs? We review the unique Amphipod RunLite 4 belt hydration system. Other than a few small issues, it has performed well.
date : January 14, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 12
This is a 3 step program on learning how to do flip turns. Also discussed is the importance of using flip turns during lap swimming.

date : November 19, 2007
author : CyndiPPF
So here I was, a hard-working, respectable, just-turned-forty-six-year-old, who never considered herself athletic, lining up in my swim cap and goggles for my first triathlon.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 8
What to wear under the wetsuit? What to wear for the bike and the run? Good thing someone invented the wonderful trisuit, to which we’ve become accustomed. It’s supposed to make our lives so simple.

date : May 16, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Enter the new TYR X-Sight goggles. The X-Sights have been designed with a flexible nose bridge that (surprise, surprise) is shaped like an “X”.