The Athletic Club of Columbus
60sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 35m 27s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at my parents the night before since we didn't try to book a hotel room in time and couldn't find anything but the Best Western by the airport for $500/night - you READ that correctly $500?!?!? That's insane!
Event warmup:

We hit incredible traffic and were unable to get to our pre-registered parking garage so we parked in a lot at the corner of Vine and Killbairne and jogged to the start. The added security to get into the start corrals was absolutely ridiculous - seriously, I'm all for safety but they clearly hadn't thought this through and really did little in the way of actually preventing something from happening...
Run
  • 5h 35m 27s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really hopeful that I could complete this run in 4:59:30 to finally break the 5:00 Marathon time after having done a 5:08:xx in Corpus Christi and at the Flying Pig earlier this year and with as much run training as I had, I was sure that I could make it happen on this flat and fast course. To do that I would have had to maintain a 11:30/mile pace I even asked my FTP if he would run with me and pace me. We began the race and he asked if I wanted to bank any time and I said that I wanted to bank 5- 10 minutes over the first half. I was successful, by the time we hit the half mark I had banked 11 minutes but that was also where I started to feel the first twinges in my right knee and foot. By mile 15 I was hurting a lot and it had turned into a Suffer Fest. I found that my eyes were leaking as I realized that I wasn't going to be able to hit my goal and felt like I was going to let my FTP down. In the end, even though it was a Suffer Fest my best friend ran with me the entire way and he kept me from a DNF by convincing me at mile 18 that it was perfectly acceptable to walk as much of the last 8 miles as I needed to finish and because I was hurt (right knee and foot hate me and yes three days later my foot actually still hurts) there was absolutely no shame in it. So that's what we did. I pretty much walked 7 of the last 8 miles but like I said, I spent the day with my Best Friend in perfect Ohio Fall Weather and got to run down the tunnel and through the end zone of the Shoe!!!

What would you do differently?:

Perhaps not trying to do a Half Ironman, a Half Marathon and two full Marathons all within six weeks while maintaining my regular weekly run mileage would have been wise. I felt really tired and things hurt, this is the first time this has ever happened. I'm just hoping that I didn't do any permanent damage. I'm thinking next year won't include any full marathons - after having completed 4 Fulls this year it's time to take some time off and get back some more swim, bike and run.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished, got the post race bag of food, wandered into the Finisher's village and met up with my Mom.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Over-Trained and/or Over-Raced

Last updated: 2013-08-02 12:00 AM
Running
05:35:27 | 26.2 miles | 12m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-10-23 12:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: Columbus Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbus Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Columbus Marathon

Started by rkreuser
Views: 2356 Posts: 7

2006-10-25 3:07 PM jkbostic

Columbus Marathon

Started by timebaron
Views: 1659 Posts: 3

2006-10-18 10:41 AM rkreuser

Columbus Marathon (Team Relay)

Started by stupidnickname
Views: 1625 Posts: 1

2005-10-18 7:43 PM stupidnickname

Columbus Marathon (Team Relay - 13.1 miles)

Started by marina
Views: 2195 Posts: 5

2005-10-17 8:11 AM drdi

The Columbus Marathon

Started by clightle
Views: 1616 Posts: 1

2003-12-15 12:00 AM clightle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : November 14, 2004
author : malvey
comments : 1
How a father and son went from zero to marathon and had the experience of a lifetime!
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle

date : August 30, 2004
Glassy waters greeted the nearly 600 participants for the quarter-mile swim. The 15.5-bike ride followed a beautiful course around the lake with the 5k run winding through a quiet residential area