General Discussion Triathlon Talk » triathlon and paleo Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-24 7:46 AM

kokomo, Indiana
Subject: triathlon and paleo
I have decided to go paleo and was wondering how many other triathletes out there are also paleo?

2013-10-24 8:00 AM
in reply to: bkelly83

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Subject: RE: triathlon and paleo
Based on this picture, not many elite racers are.

https://twitter.com/tollakson/status/387603637964255232/photo/1
2013-10-24 8:20 AM

User image

Veteran
check the nutritional cafe subforum here. There is a post about ketosis and others are doing various forms of Paleo/Primal.
2013-10-24 9:28 AM

User image

Milwaukee
Originally posted by bkelly83

I have decided to go paleo and was wondering how many other triathletes out there are also paleo?

If you listen to podcasts, try Ben Greenfield.

http://www./start-here/

He qualified for Kona at IM Canada this year and finished right about the 10hr mark at Kona.

I will warn though that although his diet is technically Paleo, he also trains "fat adapted"/ketogenic.

I also listen to Vinnie Tortorich.

http://vinnietortorich.com/

He is "No Sugar, No Grain." He also talks about being fat adapted. I'd also add a "Mature language" tag on this one.

His book is:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DONI7AK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8...
2013-10-24 10:24 AM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.

Why? What do you think that paleo will do for you that your current diet doesn't? Why paleo in particular?

John
2013-10-24 11:07 AM
in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by jlruhnke

Based on this picture, not many elite racers are.

https://twitter.com/tollakson/status/387603637964255232/photo/1

HAHA I think my buddy bought had that shelf. I lost count to how many PB&J's he made race week, but it was more then enough to out eat most elementary schools.

2013-10-24 11:16 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Veteran
Denver area
I try to eat paleo and have success. I'm not allergic to gluten but I don't like how I feel when I eat it.

That being said, for my IM training this year, I did utilize traditional drinks/chews/gels for nutrition. I just made sure what I ate outside of training was clean, low in sugar (I even cut out fruit at the end), and gluten free. It works for me but YMMV.
2013-10-24 11:27 AM
in reply to: mountain_erin

User image

Extreme Veteran
I want to add that eating gluten free and eating paleo are not the same thing. If you're GF, you can still eat rice, GF oats, millet, quinoa, etc., and these grains and seeds are discouraged in paleo model. I am not paleo (did Whole 30 challenge last year so I do have experience with it), but I do have Celiac disease and can't consume gluten at all.
2013-10-24 11:30 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by mountain_erin I try to eat paleo and have success. I'm not allergic to gluten but I don't like how I feel when I eat it.  

I'm in the same boat.  I definitely feel slight inflammation in the gut and injury areas when I eat gluten.  But gluten free and paleo are not the same thing.  

The paleo way seems to frown on any grains, as well as things like legumes, olives, peanuts.  Those are three things right there I'm not willing to give up.  Unless you're allergic or intolerant, I think foods like those three and several others on the "bad" list are actually pretty beneficial for the body.

2013-10-24 12:32 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Originally posted by noelle1230

Originally posted by mountain_erin I try to eat paleo and have success. I'm not allergic to gluten but I don't like how I feel when I eat it.  

I'm in the same boat.  I definitely feel slight inflammation in the gut and injury areas when I eat gluten.  But gluten free and paleo are not the same thing.  

The paleo way seems to frown on any grains, as well as things like legumes, olives, peanuts.  Those are three things right there I'm not willing to give up.  Unless you're allergic or intolerant, I think foods like those three and several others on the "bad" list are actually pretty beneficial for the body.

Yep, I'm aware that gluten free is does not equal paleo, but they do have several things in common. (its sorta like a square is a form of a rectangle but a rectangle is not a square). I basically think of paleo as eating clean (ie little to no processing). I can't eat legumes - they make me feel like I have food poisoning. Not cool. Milk I go back and forth on. I don't drink milk but I do like half and half in my coffee and yogurt. But I don't have either very regularly, so I'm ok keeping those in my diet.

For me, the driver was gluten and insulin sensitivity (plus severe hypoglycemia). When travelling (or for convenience), its easier to find gluten free stuff than paleo stuff. I do avoid most grains (I'll have rice occasionally), I'll avoid soy, and when I'm being super strict, I don't eat grains period or fruit (ie pretty strict paleo). I'd get most of my calories from meat (jerky is a great snack if you look at the ingredients), veggies, nuts, and during peak IM times, I would eat an avocado nearly daily so I'd get some quality calories in.

2013-10-24 12:53 PM

User image

Kenmore, Washington
There is no reason why you can't do both. Paleo is not low carb.

2013-10-24 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by mountain_erin

Yep, I'm aware that gluten free is does not equal paleo, but they do have several things in common. (its sorta like a square is a form of a rectangle but a rectangle is not a square). I basically think of paleo as eating clean (ie little to no processing). I can't eat legumes - they make me feel like I have food poisoning. Not cool. Milk I go back and forth on. I don't drink milk but I do like half and half in my coffee and yogurt. But I don't have either very regularly, so I'm ok keeping those in my diet. For me, the driver was gluten and insulin sensitivity (plus severe hypoglycemia). When travelling (or for convenience), its easier to find gluten free stuff than paleo stuff. I do avoid most grains (I'll have rice occasionally), I'll avoid soy, and when I'm being super strict, I don't eat grains period or fruit (ie pretty strict paleo). I'd get most of my calories from meat (jerky is a great snack if you look at the ingredients), veggies, nuts, and during peak IM times, I would eat an avocado nearly daily so I'd get some quality calories in.

I'm totally on board with you as far as the clean eating.  I have to watch the beans and dairy also.  And I stay gluten free.  But I don't consider myself in line with paleo eating at all.

From what I understand, paleo is grain free, mostly oil free, definitely olive free.  I eat olive oil quite a bit.  And I do GF oats every single morning.  So I guess I feel like I could never same I'm in line with the paleo diet.  

It just seems that when people eat a clean, dairy free, gluten free diet and say they eat paleo that's incorrect.

2013-10-24 1:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

From what I understand, paleo is grain free, mostly oil free, definitely olive free. 

Paleo is definitely not "oil free" - I think olive oil is one of those "could go either way" things though. Coconut oil seems to be the preferred fat but in a quick search I found many "paleo" resources that encouraged olive oil:

http://ultimatepaleoguide.com/paleo-diet-food-list/#paleodietfats

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/defending-olive-oils-reputation/#axzz2ifHgyQaS

Edited by lisac957 2013-10-24 1:23 PM
2013-10-24 1:23 PM

User image

Master
PNW

Yep, I'm aware that gluten free is does not equal paleo, but they do have several things in common. (its sorta like a square is a form of a rectangle but a rectangle is not a square). I basically think of paleo as eating clean (ie little to no processing). I can't eat legumes - they make me feel like I have food poisoning. Not cool. Milk I go back and forth on. I don't drink milk but I do like half and half in my coffee and yogurt. But I don't have either very regularly, so I'm ok keeping those in my diet. For me, the driver was gluten and insulin sensitivity (plus severe hypoglycemia). When travelling (or for convenience), its easier to find gluten free stuff than paleo stuff. I do avoid most grains (I'll have rice occasionally), I'll avoid soy, and when I'm being super strict, I don't eat grains period or fruit (ie pretty strict paleo). I'd get most of my calories from meat (jerky is a great snack if you look at the ingredients), veggies, nuts, and during peak IM times, I would eat an avocado nearly daily so I'd get some quality calories in.

I'm totally on board with you as far as the clean eating.  I have to watch the beans and dairy also.  And I stay gluten free.  But I don't consider myself in line with paleo eating at all.

From what I understand, paleo is grain free, mostly oil free, definitely olive free.  I eat olive oil quite a bit.  And I do GF oats every single morning.  So I guess I feel like I could never same I'm in line with the paleo diet.  

It just seems that when people eat a clean, dairy free, gluten free diet and say they eat paleo that's incorrect.

Actually, that's not true. Olives and olive oil are generally accepted on the paleo diet. They frown on seed oils, but fruit or nut oils (or animal based oils like duck fat) are all fine.

Of course, there are about as many variations on the paleo diet as there are people following it. My diet would be considered mostly paleo, but I've since dropped that word from my description of it because it often drums up negative connotations AND zealots. I eat a healthy, whole foods diet. It's no one's business whether I choose to eat grains or dairy, so I don't often mention it unless asked.

I eat a wholly unprocessed diet. Little to no packaged foods (i'm extremely selective). I don't eat dairy, legumes or corn because they upset my stomach (something I never knew until I cut them out for awhile) and I avoid grains and sugars because I have an inability to stop eating those once I start and they are nutritionally inferior to veggies. I am not low carb when training (I rely on potatoes and winter squashes mostly...but fruit sometimes as well). I am never 'no carb' as to cut them very low makes me unhappy/grumpy. I am generally fat-adapted though because I can go for 2 - 3 hours of low intensity exercise without fuel (my long runs, for example).

Oh, and I count calories and track my intake - a very un-paleo thing to do.

For more info, you could look up Nell Stephenson - she does IM's on a very strict paleo diet but she does supplement on race day with gels and the like, I believe.
2013-10-24 1:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by GLC1968

Actually, that's not true. Olives and olive oil are generally accepted on the paleo diet. They frown on seed oils, but fruit or nut oils (or animal based oils like duck fat) are all fine. Of course, there are about as many variations on the paleo diet as there are people following it. My diet would be considered mostly paleo, but I've since dropped that word from my description of it because it often drums up negative connotations AND zealots. I eat a healthy, whole foods diet. It's no one's business whether I choose to eat grains or dairy, so I don't often mention it unless asked. I eat a wholly unprocessed diet. Little to no packaged foods (i'm extremely selective). I don't eat dairy, legumes or corn because they upset my stomach (something I never knew until I cut them out for awhile) and I avoid grains and sugars because I have an inability to stop eating those once I start and they are nutritionally inferior to veggies. I am not low carb when training (I rely on potatoes and winter squashes mostly...but fruit sometimes as well). I am never 'no carb' as to cut them very low makes me unhappy/grumpy. I am generally fat-adapted though because I can go for 2 - 3 hours of low intensity exercise without fuel (my long runs, for example). Oh, and I count calories and track my intake - a very un-paleo thing to do. For more info, you could look up Nell Stephenson - she does IM's on a very strict paleo diet but she does supplement on race day with gels and the like, I believe.

Good info, thank you.

There certainly are a wide variety of diets that call themselves paleo with different parameters.  This is why the term is a turn off for me.  I'm curious who coined it and if they have a patent on it like Atkins did.  If not, it's going to be one of those things that people will just interpret however it suits them.

I've also heard it called the caveman diet and realistically nothing we eat anymore can match that of the cavemen thanks to centuries of food production and soil evolution.  So that term is an even bigger turnoff to me.

Edited by noelle1230 2013-10-24 1:34 PM
2013-10-24 4:48 PM

User image

Master
PNW
I believe (though I'm not 100% certain) that Loren Cordain was the original user of the term 'Paleo Diet'. He is pretty much the grandfather of the movement, for sure. Though, like many things, the paleo diet didn't really hit the mainstream/media until the crossfit community adopted it. I've had more people say 'You're paleo but you don't do crossfit? How did that happen?". It's insane.

While I'm not a big fan of all the 'hype' and misinformation out there, I am happy that this popularity has prompted a lot of much better cooks than me to write cookbooks! I've had a blast collecting them and using the recipes (sometimes changing them a lot) over the past two years! Some of them are really gorgeous books with some incredibly delicious foods that I never would have attempted to try (like making my own carnitas or mayo) in the past.

2013-10-24 6:56 PM

User image

I basically think of paleo as eating clean (ie little to no processing).

Staying away from processed food is a good idea, but it's not the same as Paleo. Paleo restricts a lot more (whole grains, legumes) and allows cured meats (at least the people I know eat those-- I never really have gotten a good answer why eating meats full of nitrates is better than eating whole chickpeas).
2013-10-24 8:37 PM

User image

While going without processed foods is a good idea, the paleo diet restricts carbohydrates and that can hurt the endurance athlete as carbohydrates are a good source of long term energy.
2013-10-25 6:30 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Milwaukee
Originally posted by b2run

While going without processed foods is a good idea, the paleo diet restricts carbohydrates and that can hurt the endurance athlete as carbohydrates are a good source of long term energy.

Joe Friel has a book about "Paleo for Athletes". In a nutshell, it talks about timing higher carb meals around workouts.
2013-10-25 7:04 AM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Most people go way overboard with how many carbs they think they need...you can get way more than enough on paleo. (which is NOT necessarily low carb) That said, While there is a lot to be said for eating real food and not processed stuff, it's pretty silly to think that cavemen ate what they ate because they were smart enough to know what's good for them. We didn't evolve because we ate the ideal diet - we evolved based on a number of factors that led to our survival and a food source that was ACCEPTABLE (but not necessarily ideal) was just one factor. Cavemen ate whatever they found and that varied by region and season.

My opinion is that paleo is a healthy diet, but that doesn't mean you have to be THAT restrictive to have a healthy diet.
2013-10-25 7:27 AM

User image

There are many who have found success with that:

http://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/nutrition/paleos-latest-c...
Endurance athletes find success with paleo diets.

It lacks grains, processed sugars and starches, but the paleo diet has its advantages for athletes.
http://running.competitor.com/2013/07/nutrition/is-the-paleo-diet-t...

Paleo For Endurance Athletes
https://kettlebellkitchen.com/nutrition-paleo-endurance-athletes.php

2013-10-25 1:11 PM
in reply to: GLC1968

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.

I believe (though I'm not 100% certain) that Loren Cordain was the original user of the term 'Paleo Diet'. He is pretty much the grandfather of the movement, for sure. Though, like many things, the paleo diet didn't really hit the mainstream/media until the crossfit community adopted it. I've had more people say 'You're paleo but you don't do crossfit? How did that happen?". It's insane.

No, he's just one of the more successful authors/proponents of it. Paleo as a concept has been around since the early 1970's, with a few people doing studies and books in the early 80's, well before the crossfit descent into utter inanity. I believe Walter Voeline (sp?) is generally credited with the first popularization of paleo.

John
2013-10-25 2:23 PM
in reply to: tkd.teacher

User image

Master
PNW
Originally posted by tkd.teacher

No, he's just one of the more successful authors/proponents of it. Paleo as a concept has been around since the early 1970's, with a few people doing studies and books in the early 80's, well before the crossfit descent into utter inanity. I believe Walter Voeline (sp?) is generally credited with the first popularization of paleo.

John

Didn't Cordain's original book come out in the 70's as well? If not, it was definitely early 80's at least. There was also a guy named Ray Audette who published a book about it in the 70's, but he called it 'Neanderthin'.

It has certainly been around a LOT longer than most of today's proponents would have us believe...
2013-10-25 2:41 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by jennifer_runs
I basically think of paleo as eating clean (ie little to no processing).
Staying away from processed food is a good idea, but it's not the same as Paleo. Paleo restricts a lot more (whole grains, legumes) and allows cured meats (at least the people I know eat those-- I never really have gotten a good answer why eating meats full of nitrates is better than eating whole chickpeas).

According to Wikipedia, the oldest evidence of chick peas was from the Mesolithic period. That's after the Paleolithic period so that's why they aren't part of the Paleo diet. I actually prefer the Meso diet; I eat a mess o' everything

2013-10-25 3:33 PM
in reply to: GLC1968

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.

Originally posted by tkd.teacher

John

Didn't Cordain's original book come out in the 70's as well? If not, it was definitely early 80's at least. There was also a guy named Ray Audette who published a book about it in the 70's, but he called it 'Neanderthin'.

It has certainly been around a LOT longer than most of today's proponents would have us believe...

His first published research (As listed on his own site) isn't until 1997. His first book was ~ 2002. He describes himself as the founder of the paleo movement, not the founder of paleo itself.

John
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » triathlon and paleo Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

feeling confused after friends went to Paleo diet.. Pages: 1 2

Started by metafizx
Views: 3255 Posts: 32

2011-04-21 11:35 PM MikeTheBear

Paleo Diet, Losing Weight, & Half Ironmans-Advice?

Started by mrpenguin777
Views: 1965 Posts: 22

2010-02-01 5:17 PM Masi 68

Paleo Diet for Athletes...Your Thoughts. Pages: 1 2

Started by SeminoleTriathlete
Views: 2928 Posts: 43

2009-12-22 10:44 PM jenmel

Paleo eating: fruits as carbs

Started by freakmonk
Views: 600 Posts: 3

2007-04-17 4:13 PM yaqui

Paleo Diet Pages: 1 2

Started by Viking08
Views: 3088 Posts: 38

2006-10-24 10:51 PM tkbslc
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : June 29, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on losing weight during half Ironman training, high sugar fruits to avoid, and the Paleo diet.

date : April 26, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on good vs bad sugars, fluid loss replacement, clean eating, the Paleo diet and are gels necessary for olympic races.