General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To Run Fast, You Need To Run Fast Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-24 6:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: To Run Fast, You Need To Run Fast

Excellent post.  One other area that seems to get missed a lot, especially for the more newbie runner, is lose weight.  It is amazing what kind of speed you can pick up by shedding 10, 15, even 20 lbs if you can spare it.  

Edited by thebigb 2013-10-24 6:46 PM

2013-10-24 7:35 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

New user
Great post and very informative.

Is the same true for cycling?
2013-10-24 7:36 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by nancylee This is very interesting. Especially as an older runner, I can't really add intensity to my runs. Everytime I do some intervals, etc., I end up sore beyond belief or worse, injured. I did intervals last week, and had tight calves for a week, and my knees still ache. When I thought I was going to do the NYC marathon and was up to 10 miles in training, my calves didn't hurt, nor did my knees. Plantar fasciitis knocked me out, but everything else was good. So your plan gives me hope. What I do find is that to lose the weight, I need intensity. Even running 20 miles a week in the summer I didn't lose a pound. It is very frustrating. When I did spinning 5 years ago, I lost 20 pounds without any changes in diet. So I think for me, intensity needs to be added to lose the weight, and with that, I will run a bit faster than my kick 13 minute miles!!! Good information - thank you, Nancy

What type of intervals are you doing?  How many, how long, and at what pace relative to your usual training and racing paces?

One of the most common misconceptions about intervals is that they should all be done at as hard of an effort as possible.  This is why I don't like the terms "speed work" or "speed intervals".  Instead, I prefer the terms "pace work" or "pace intervals".  Instead of running intervals as hard as possible, they should usually be done at a target pace that's been determined based on your existing abilities, and also not an arbitrary pace you want to achieve on race day.

X2

When doing higher intensity running, you should run fast enough to elicit the desired training effect but not faster. On occasion, dropping the hammer just to see what you can do can be valuable but generally this would be in a race and training runs should be just hard enough.

Shane
2013-10-24 7:42 PM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

Champion
Originally posted by FELTGood

Great post and info as usual........if I can just split hairs a bit, but there is eccentric contractions during the pedal stroke.

Do you have a link? I've been through all my exercise physiology texts, gone through all the scholarly articles I could find as well as a whole bunch of blogs and everything I've found says minimal to zero eccentric contractions during the pedal stroke.

Thanks,

Shane
2013-10-24 7:46 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Champion
Originally posted by jennifer_runs

Originally posted by Tryrn

this works with all runners? So take a slower runner like myself, I am lucky to dip in to the 8's on any run longer than 6 miles or s my Best olympic i averaged 8:45 for my run so I get blasted by all the runners out there. Run focused winter with all slower work will improve my already dismal times? I guess i am asking if i never run 7's in training how will lots of 9+ min miles convert to that during a race? I am frustrated with my running... my swim and my bike are both strong but even before this IM build up this year while i was just running my times still seem to suck.

Yes it works for slower runners. Its not that you never run fast in training, just that MOST of your running is slower in order to build endurance and make the physiological adaptations you need. And that larger base supports the faster running.

I went from being an 11:00-minute runner to racing in the 7's for short races using this basic theory (about 8:00/mile for half-marathons, too). Run lots, mostly slow, some fast. Keep it simple.

X2 to this and Jason's post; it is all about increasing training load.

Shane
2013-10-24 9:05 PM
in reply to: #4883615

User image

Elite
Had a feeling you would want me.to post a link bit on phone now and not easy but it essentially is anatomy and biomechanics and independent research is not needed or at least info that has been around for decades......one example is regarding the hamstrings if on the down.stroke from 12 o'clock positiion ( o degrees) to 180 the hamstrings are being activated because they are a hip extensor with glute max but since they also cause flexion of the knee however the knee is.going into extension under contraction. Also the hamstring is antagonistic to the quads which when activated not only caused knee extension but anterior shearng of the tibia on the femur, therefore the hamstring counteracts this force.

I will try to post tomorrow some links that everyone likes to.read . I had one earlier with a emg activation pattern.

2013-10-24 9:57 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
Great post Shane! Timely as I was running slow mile repeats on the TM and listening to an old podcast of Dave Scott (2010?) talking about this very thing. I have started to incorporate more slow n easy miles into this off season training as my running is not very good at all. I think than many endurance athletes, being mostly the type A's that we are, really struggle with going long and easy to build the base. Many times we may feel like we just are not getting much out of it if we are not gassed when we are finished. Scott says in his initial assesment when training slower that he really had a hard time to get into and stay in zone 2 while running, he had to slow well over 3 minutes per mile to ( he was HR training at the time).

One question I have: I have found that spending the majority of my running on the TM is helping me stay healthy. I really enjoy running outside, especially lately with the So Cal weather, but, anything over 3 miles and I am hurting the next day or longer in the knees, feet and hips. I do try to find softer surfaces outside, the local HS track is nice, but the mill works for me. How will this hinder my running come race day if most of my work is done inside? I have remained mostly injury free (some PF for about 7 months 2 yrs ago) and I do think the TM running is helping me stay healthy. At this point (54 next year) injury free and getting to the line healthy are the most important aspects. Your thoughts?

Thanks again for your insight, as always, on spot!
2013-10-25 2:12 AM
in reply to: #4884217

@shane: i'm not going to debate again about the point, i'm just asking to add some knowledge and i'm still willing to learn something i don't know.
i have a good base in term of mileage and endurance, as for now i'm concentrating to build some speed/power and conpete in shorter races then usually (10km) and add distance again in 2014.
in a 3 training session per week i focused more on quality works (intervals, sprint..) and only once i did ab easy run usually not longer then 12-14km. it paid off, but do you think o would have had bettrer results switching to maybe 2 easy run and 1 quality run?
thank you
2013-10-25 6:12 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Thanks for this, Shane. I'm already a believer, as are most of the others on this thread, but it's useful to have this in one place -- we can now link to it in response to future versions of the "run fast by running fast" argument.

But there's one part of this that I'm unsure of. You seem to be arguing that high volume / low intensity running is important for running only because it is a safer way to develop aerobic capacity. The impact and eccentric contractions create an injury risk, and this makes it harder to incorporate high intensity training than in biking and swimming. This would suggest that a similar diet of low intensity training would be just as effective for cycling training as it is for running. It just would be a less-than-optimal way to train for cycling. On this view, the role of impact in running is simply to force us to build aerobic capacity in a less efficient manner. Are you sure that this is all that there is to it? Or is it the case that the ability to sustain impact / eccentric contractions is a key component of the ability to run fast for long distances, and that low intensity run training develops this ability, making it more useful than low intensity cycling?

I have thought about this often, because of my own surprise at the effectiveness of lots of steady run training. I'm far more fragile than I would like to be as a runner, and I'm currently on an injury-induced run break, hoping to get myself fixed in preparation for a spring marathon build. But when I am able to run, I have been shocked by how well I'm able to race based on a diet of daily steady running with zero speedwork. I do almost all of my running at 7:00 - 7:30 pace, only very rarely indeed throwing in a couple of miles as fast as 6:30 - 6:45. But with that base I'm able to race at 6:00 pace or faster without it feeling like a stretch. I *never* run that fast in training. I've been racing for 35 years now, but I'm still setting PRs at age 45 (in longer-distance events; forget the shorter stuff). I can't imagine doing the equivalent in cycling training.
2013-10-25 7:43 AM
in reply to: NormaJean

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by NormaJean @shane: i'm not going to debate again about the point, i'm just asking to add some knowledge and i'm still willing to learn something i don't know. i have a good base in term of mileage and endurance, as for now i'm concentrating to build some speed/power and conpete in shorter races then usually (10km) and add distance again in 2014. in a 3 training session per week i focused more on quality works (intervals, sprint..) and only once i did ab easy run usually not longer then 12-14km. it paid off, but do you think o would have had bettrer results switching to maybe 2 easy run and 1 quality run? thank you

No.  You would have to switch to something like 5 easy runs and 1 hard run.  You need to create stress in order to drive the results you are looking to achieve (getting faster, in this case).  If you are going to train 'less', then you need to train harder.  The problem with doing this in running is that it creates higher risk of injury.  If you developed a strong enough base prior to doing it, then it might work for you for a time.  Eventually, you will still plateau at a level well below your full capabilities, though.

2013-10-25 8:18 AM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by NormaJean

@shane: i'm not going to debate again about the point, i'm just asking to add some knowledge and i'm still willing to learn something i don't know.
i have a good base in term of mileage and endurance, as for now i'm concentrating to build some speed/power and conpete in shorter races then usually (10km) and add distance again in 2014.
in a 3 training session per week i focused more on quality works (intervals, sprint..) and only once i did ab easy run usually not longer then 12-14km. it paid off, but do you think o would have had bettrer results switching to maybe 2 easy run and 1 quality run?
thank you

If you had the background that allowed you to run 3x/week with two being harder sessions and not get injured, it is unlikely that you would have seen better results with two easy runs and one harder run as that would have lower training stress. What likely would have been better would be two key harder runs, one long run and three easy run sessions.

Shane

2013-10-25 8:19 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Thanks Shane, great post. This is my first season doing Tri's and I started out running faster than I should have, which lead to aches and pains which would cause me to take multiple days off. After my first race I started using the Maffetone Method and did EVERY run in zone 2. No speed work at all and was able to stay healthy and run more often and bested my previous race 5k time by almost a full minute after a much longer swim and hilly bike course. Today I actually ran for the 3rd day in a row for training. It doesn't sound like much, but I think its the first time ever that I have run 3 days in a row. I am really going to try and work hard this winter to build my base and log many miles. I'm definitely a big believer of the slow zone 2 running.
2013-10-25 8:48 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

What I believe a lot of this comes down to is customized training. Which really its why we need coaches to reach our full potential. They can evaluate our current level of fitness, training history, injury history, age, goals, etc..., and tweak a training program to find where you can make the most gains and work to improve weaknesses.

The easiest way to gain for most people is to add volume at lower intensity, but this is not an absolute. It is just what the far majority of runners would benefit from.

The basic principle of all of our training is to stress the body to force adaptation. If you always run long and slow, you are not continuing to stress your body, and you are going to plateau and stagnate. I think it is important to remember, that there are other components of being and becoming a stronger runner.

Here are a few examples: strides, speed work, (and drills!!!...just ask any African runner), will improve your biomechanics, and teach your body to have a better turnover. Also, a hard tempo run, or a hard progression run will stress the body more than a long steady run and force greater adaptation, in addition, it will also strengthen you MENTALLY, which I don't think should be overlooked. If you suffer training, its easier to suffer racing. Hill work or weights will make you stronger, and can actually make you more injury resistant if done right.

However, as these additional components are added to your training, it is important to remember that these will increase the stress on the body, and may result in injury if not done correctly. Which is why again, I would advocate coaching if it is something that is feasible. A good coach will know you, and how much of the additional stress your body can take.

Shane's post was excellent, but I feel the some of the key points could get lost under the premise of this thread which somewhat argues against its subject "To Run Fast, You Need To Run Fast."

To quote a few of his points, "higher intensity running is certainly a component of a well designed training program," and his conclusion, Focus on slowly increasing your run volume to the point that you really don't have time to add any additional run volume to your week and then look at starting to look at making one of the runs harder while keeping the others easy. As a wise man once said, "run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard."

I think the title of this thread should be, "To Run Fast, You Need To Run Fast....Sometimes."

2013-10-25 9:06 AM

User image

Thanks Shane, very timely for me.  I've read some other threads on this and your post plus some others here are very helpful.  I overtrained in the spring getting ready for a HIM and blew out my calf.  Missed my A race and struggled through some sprints early in the year.  Took a bit off and then got back to running but never fully healed and had a very painful year.  Didn't want to give up the year since I had made some strides with my running and even with only one good leg had a good second half but developed some other lower leg issues.   After my last race in Sept. I took what was supposed to be a month, now two off to heal and have been struggling to get back to training.   Too much time thinking about getting hurt again and got to questioning if it is worth it.  Going to get back at it and follow your advice.

2013-10-25 9:40 AM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Champion
Originally posted by colinphillips

Thanks for this, Shane. I'm already a believer, as are most of the others on this thread, but it's useful to have this in one place -- we can now link to it in response to future versions of the "run fast by running fast" argument.

But there's one part of this that I'm unsure of. You seem to be arguing that high volume / low intensity running is important for running only because it is a safer way to develop aerobic capacity. The impact and eccentric contractions create an injury risk, and this makes it harder to incorporate high intensity training than in biking and swimming. This would suggest that a similar diet of low intensity training would be just as effective for cycling training as it is for running. It just would be a less-than-optimal way to train for cycling. On this view, the role of impact in running is simply to force us to build aerobic capacity in a less efficient manner. Are you sure that this is all that there is to it? Or is it the case that the ability to sustain impact / eccentric contractions is a key component of the ability to run fast for long distances, and that low intensity run training develops this ability, making it more useful than low intensity cycling?

There are definitely adaptations that occur with higher volume running that will usually see a runner develop more durability than a lower volume runner. More running will help the body adapt to be better suited to do even more running and should help the athlete better tolerate the physical demands of running.

Thanks for pointing this out, as I now realize that I didn't do a good job at addressing the fact that there are more than just metabolic adaptations occurring.

Shane
2013-10-25 10:47 AM

User image

I am not afraid of 6x a week running over the winter and increasing my mileage to a large number. I have read the barryP plan maybe ill work with that over the entire winter and see how that works out

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To Run Fast, You Need To Run Fast Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Long Run paces...how fast is too fast..

Started by skitri
Views: 1683 Posts: 14

2012-02-08 3:24 PM Scout7

advice on how to run faster needed Pages: 1 2

Started by kocourek
Views: 3002 Posts: 31

2010-03-16 10:53 AM newbz

Run more = run faster, bike more = bike faster?

Started by trey800hj
Views: 2600 Posts: 10

2009-02-23 9:04 PM newbz

Need to get faster on the run...

Started by BrianO
Views: 1527 Posts: 13

2008-02-25 11:38 PM cdom

I need to run faster....

Started by Cando
Views: 1576 Posts: 14

2007-05-22 4:03 PM agaliza
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2011
author : Total Immersion
comments : 0
Terry Laughlin will cover the elements of the "speed problem" in swimming, why the traditional means of swimming faster seldom work and why an often-ignored approach is virtually foolproof.

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : July 14, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I can swim long with ease and have decent endurance, but I have a race coming up and I don't want to be last anymore. Help?

date : July 5, 2005
author : Michael Silva
comments : 1
I don't really strength train (because I never have and don't really know much about it) and feel like my lack of upper body strength is the reason why I'm not getting faster.
date : July 4, 2005
author : KenMierke
Despite what most runners and their coaches believe, technique plays an enormous role in sustained fast running.

date : June 14, 2005
author : smeeko
Training plan featuring specific interval-type and track workouts to increase your 10K speed over the course of 2 months.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : December 12, 2004
author : econway
With my first triathlon scheduled for March, when should I start to worry/concentrate on getting faster? And how do I get faster?