Other Resources My Cup of Joe » London bound.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-24 9:17 AM

Veteran
Lost, Florida
Subject: London bound..
Will be in London for 3+ days. Any suggestions on what to do? Planning on doing the London Eye, seeing the changing of the guard, drinking some English beer and eating Fish and Chips. Any other suggestions?

2013-10-24 10:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Madrid
Subject: RE: London bound..
Tower of London. With the guided tour. National gallery is also good if you like art and don't like to spend money (its free).

Edited by gr33n 2013-10-24 10:48 AM
2013-10-24 2:46 PM
in reply to: sfm15

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Ronnie Scotts for some jazz.  

2013-10-24 3:45 PM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Veteran
St. Paul
If time is short, I'd skip the changing of the guard.

I second the Tower of London (the crown jewels are there)

I'd also sat skip the fish and chips, but you have to eat, so you may as well have that one meal.
2013-10-24 3:58 PM
in reply to: Nathanm74

User image

Chicago, IL

Check out Covent Garden. It's a fun area, with cool stores and bars.
The British Museum is super cool, too, and Tate Modern, if that's your thing.

Also, if time allows, try and check out an EPL game. There are 6 EPL teams in London, but if you can make it to an Arsenal, Chelsea, or Tottenham game, it should be a good time (can get expensive, though).

2013-10-24 9:24 PM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Elite
OK - i am from there and took my daughter in January (bad idea it was grim!)

London Eye - book it

Tower of london - book it.

The queues are crazy you'd waste hours.

The sightseeing bus is great value - get on and off all day at various points of interest.

My favourite place is St Pauls Cathedral - again crazy queues to get in there but i love it.

If you're doing Tower of London do Tower Bridge at the same time.

don't be afraid to use the Underground train network - it's not difficult at all (the Tube)

If you have nasty weather MAdame Tussauds wax work museum is fun. The London Dungeon also good on a bad day.

Don't go to London Zoo - it's crap. Every park is beautiful - St James, hyde park - just beautiful.

For a good meal go to Jamie Oliver's restaurant.

Eating good food in London can be expensive. For a cheaper option Pizza Express is an upmarket pizza chain.

2013-10-25 5:44 AM
in reply to: sfm15

User image

Veteran
Indiana
check out Fat Tire Bike Tours. Its a great way to see a large part of the city, and it easily accessed from the Tube.

http://fattirebiketours.com/

You get to see a lot of London - including the changing of the guard (usually), Big Ben and several other sites.

You will want to book this on line prior to going, and if you want to buy a t-shirt from them, bring cash. When I did this last year they didnt have the ability to process cards on site.

I also second the Tower. Its a great way to spend the afternoon, especially if you enjoy history (plus you get to see the crown jewels).

Have a great trip
2013-10-25 6:11 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

When exactly are you coming and over which days? That can have an effect on things to do.

Personally, as a Londoner I think the two ‘must do’ attractions are St Pauls and the Tower of London. The Americans that come here seem to love the Royal Family so you can add Buckingham Palace to the list. You can get into Parliament too (where Big Ben is) and as much as I can’t stand those people in there, the building is jam packed with history.

Some more ‘off the beaten track’ ideas – depending on what you’re into;

• The British Museum (nearest Tube Tottenham Court Road) has a tremendous collection of world artefacts. It’s basically a load of stuff the British plundered during the Empire but has some amazing pieces.

• The National Portrait gallery in Trafalgar Square. I’m not a big art fan but this place has some incredible pieces in it in terms of size, detail and story telling

• Go to Greenwich and take a river boat to Westminster. You’ll take in most parts of the City from there. Really nice few hours.

• Royal Courts of Justice – only found this myself recently. It’s the Supreme Court and again brisling with history and interesting architecture. Nearby are Lincolns Inn Fields which is a strange little area full of law courts that look (and probably are) about 500 years old with people bustling around.

Let me know if you need any information, happy to help. I love London.
2013-10-25 6:18 AM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
1.). Take money; lots of it. London is expensive no matter what.

2.). I loved the war rooms where Churchill ran the country from a protected bunker.

3.). I second the idea of using the underground. Very efficient way to get around.

4.). Never been, but what's in the new Olympic park area? I'd like to see that myself.
2013-10-25 7:01 AM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Originally posted by pitt83

4.). Never been, but what's in the new Olympic park area? I'd like to see that myself.

Nothing at the moment. Just a shopping centre. The whole area's being converted into a legacy sports village but it'll take a couple of years. I wouldn't bother going there.

2013-10-25 8:22 AM
in reply to: kmwilliams

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Originally posted by kmwilliams

check out Fat Tire Bike Tours. Its a great way to see a large part of the city, and it easily accessed from the Tube.

http://fattirebiketours.com/

You get to see a lot of London - including the changing of the guard (usually), Big Ben and several other sites.

You will want to book this on line prior to going, and if you want to buy a t-shirt from them, bring cash. When I did this last year they didnt have the ability to process cards on site.

I also second the Tower. Its a great way to spend the afternoon, especially if you enjoy history (plus you get to see the crown jewels).

Have a great trip

Second this tip for sure! The tour was really fun and was a great way to see the sites and get a lot of interesting facts about the city as well. We had a great guide who was really funny and the tour far exceeded our expectations, but may be weather dependent. We had a pretty nice day for it, warm and party cloudy.

2013-10-25 8:49 AM
in reply to: ejshowers

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
London is one of my favourite places on the planet!

I recommend Westminister Abbey, if you are also a history buff, it's a fascinating place.

I second the recommendation for the British Museum.

I second the EPL game. When I was there last, I was able to get great seats (2 rows up from the field) to see Fulham play at home (they aren't one of the top teams by any stretch, which makes it easier to get tickets) about an hour before kick-off. It's a cultural experience that I highly recommend.

If you don't mind heading a bit further out of the city, Greenwich is a neat place. With only 3 days, though, you may not want to take the time to do this instead of focussing on the sights closer to the centre of London.

Make sure you go for a proper high tea at least once (mmm.. scones).
2013-10-25 11:46 AM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Originally posted by Dan-L
• The British Museum (nearest Tube Tottenham Court Road) has a tremendous collection of world artefacts. It’s basically a load of stuff the British plundered during the Empire but has some amazing pieces.

This is my favorite. For a natural history addict this is mecca - best museum in the world IMHO.
Wanna see king Tut? The Rosetta stone? The nicest bits of the Parthenon? Darwins notes? Its all there.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » London bound.. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

College bound....once again, need help on MBA decision

Started by DolphinGirlMB
Views: 824 Posts: 7

2009-04-29 9:13 PM Dlaxman31

East bound and Down - Jerry Reed passes away

Started by Fitzy
Views: 929 Posts: 12

2008-09-04 12:45 AM madkat

Non-binding resolution? Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1520 Posts: 42

2007-02-06 7:12 PM stormrider

Mouse House bound today....

Started by Rogillio
Views: 580 Posts: 10

2007-01-04 11:22 AM MomX3

Blizzard bound in Denver...

Started by Kupe du Monde
Views: 463 Posts: 8

2006-12-21 12:23 AM Z-dog
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 5, 2012
author : ollyd
comments : 4
My experience of competing in my first triathlon.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : March 5, 2006
author : Team BT
There was a long run from the water to the transition area at the London Tri but I quickly found my bike and headed out onto the road.

date : October 24, 2004
author : Vincentd
After a nice party the day before, the five of us met at the docks in the morning - all ready to suffer in the famous English sun with our fellow competitors.