General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheel issue and time crunch- thoughts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-24 11:29 AM

Subject: Wheel issue and time crunch- thoughts?
I'm in a bind. I have had my rear wheel (a stock semi-aero alloy rim that is stock on bike) at the bike shop for 2 out of last 3 weeks trying to fix a hub/bearing issue. It's a Felt tri bike and this is the stock Felt TTR4 wheelset with only 2,000 miles on it which I really like and they hold true and roll fine even if a bit heavy. I'm not in the market for $2k carbon rims....

So first they replaced a race in the main hub and rebuilt it with new bearings, which didn't fix the crunchy noise (kinda catchy, light grinding bearing noise sound) issue that came back after a short ride. Now they say it is the bearings inside the hub. There was a miscommunication and instead of ordering replacement pars for just the hub, they ordered me a new cheap rim and hub for $200. They are afraid that even if they rebuild the hub (one that spins in the freehub assembly) that it is still going to have the issue unless I get a new rim. I fly out of town for Ironman Florida next Tuesday so have about 2 business days to make something happen. I'm not happy at the current situation. I do have decent road rims on the bike which I guess I'm going to being cruising on and I don't really want to rent carbon for $200.

So I guess my question is, do I buy the argument that my wheel is likely not going to be fixable if they rebuild the freehub? They said that likely the spoke tension wouldn't be even after the rebuild and would have issues with it. The bike shop is reputable but I've not dealt with these guys specifically before, nor have I had this kind of work done before. Not sure what to do at this point.

2013-10-24 1:26 PM
in reply to: speedzilla

Subject: RE: Wheel issue and time crunch- thoughts?
eh, i just picked this wheel up, unfixed. guess it is going back to the dealer and see what they say and if they want to warranty it or repair, or maybe replace at a discount. Anyway, the LBS wasn't really wanting replace just the hub, fit new spokes, and spare the old rim, but I'm pretty sure this is more easily fixable then they suggested. However, I'm out of time so it's going to wait. Guess I'm riding my un-aero Mavic road rims. No big deal.
2013-10-24 2:16 PM
in reply to: speedzilla

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Wheel issue and time crunch- thoughts?

Sounds to me like they do not know what they are doing. For 200 bucks you could have the whole wheel rebuilt with a new hub and better spokes. Since you are in a bind, contact SuperDave on slowtwitch about warranty work on the wheel. He has come through for people crazy fast when it comes to Felt warranty stuff. Also could you rent some wheels from Racedaywheels or one of those places?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheel issue and time crunch- thoughts? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Time-Crunched Triathlete Training Program- Half Ironman?

Started by tmp1980
Views: 991 Posts: 1

2011-01-31 8:06 PM tmp1980

Time Crunched Triathlete

Started by jmcconne
Views: 1003 Posts: 2

2011-01-19 1:10 PM revbmac

In a crunch

Started by katybug34
Views: 1018 Posts: 15

2008-08-19 2:54 PM chosenprovidence

crunch time - 5 weeks before race

Started by tntexpres
Views: 484 Posts: 2

2006-09-20 9:58 PM tbctbc

stomach crunch

Started by sandyigood
Views: 1182 Posts: 10

2006-08-22 4:59 PM norakraemer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : October 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
People who range from casual exercisers to competitive athletes are eating at the wrong times, choosing the wrong balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat, and drinking too little fluids.
date : March 20, 2007
author : Team BT
Knee-In Crunch with Medicine Ball abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : March 20, 2007
Wide Knee Crunch abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : March 19, 2007
Stability Ball Hand Opposite Knee Crunch abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.

Stability Ball Side Crunch abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.
author : mrakes1
Straight Arm Crunch abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 21, 2006
Seated Crunch-Twist strength exercise instruction with picture and video.