General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off season a.k.a. 2 and 1/2 months without a training plan, AHH! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-25 1:49 PM

User image

Subject: Off season a.k.a. 2 and 1/2 months without a training plan, AHH!
After a really fun, challenging, regimented first IM season in which I raced my first IM, 70.3, and did my first marathon in 5ish years I find myself in the "off season." While I found the first week liberating and know I will enjoy the time off I am also a bit concerned about weight gain and loss of the fitness base I worked hard to build over the course of the year. However, I have heard (and believe) that burn out is an issue as well. So, I am wondering how people keep the winter weight off, while also fending off burn out in the swim, bike, run categories? Thanks in advance!

Helen

2013-10-25 2:12 PM
in reply to: mtrunner6

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Off season a.k.a. 2 and 1/2 months without a training plan, AHH!

Keep on doing s/b/r. Sometimes more things I want to do, sometimes things I should develop more. When it starts to feel more like a burden, I'll back off for a bit.

2013-10-25 2:48 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Utah
I am in the same place with no training plan starting till Jan1. I am actually enjoying other forms of staying active, trying some kick boxing, hiking, and still some SBR. I try to do SOMETHING every day, but I am enjoying not being in a stringent plan. I am sure by the time Jan rolls around I will be ready for it, but for now, I love just doing what I feel like when I feel like it. I am just making sure it is something every day to avoid the weight gain and too much fitness loss.
2013-10-26 4:44 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Consider working on your limiters in the next 2 1/2 months.  For example, if you're consistently BOP on the swim, spend this time with a Masters program working on improving technique and learning how to suffer in the water.  If you feel your bike is where you can improve the most, follow a program designed to improve your FTP.  In the mean time, put the other sports into maintenance mode, doing enough to lose as little ability as possible.  Another possibility is working with a knowledgeable strength and conditioning coach to identify and correct muscular imbalances or movement dysfunctions to allow you to train s/b/r more effectively when the time comes.

Remember the concept of periodized training - training progresses from general to specific as your goal event gets closer.  That means now is the time to work on general fitness or issues to set you up for success during next year's races.

2013-10-26 6:07 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Working on your limiters is good advice, but if you push too hard it won't feel like an off season!  If you're really enjoying the break from SBR, and the lack of pressure of a training schedule, then my advice is to stay active and don't turn into a couch potato. 

One thing that I enjoyed a lot was a totally different kind activity.  I took an cross-training class with a lot of kickboxing, plyometrics, pushups, sit-ups, a little weight, etc. and it kicked my butt hard.  Yes, I've done several IMs but nothing with the intensity of 10 minutes of kickboxing. Tons of fun and very challenging.  And humbling. :-)

Another really fun thing I've done is ride for fun.  No distance, no electronics, not even a watch.  I just take the bike out and ride around trails and streets and enjoy being outside.  It really reconnected me with why I started triathlon in the first place.  The joy of being alive.

2013-10-27 7:12 AM
in reply to: #4884651

User image

Veteran
I have a 1/2 marathon in january in a warm state so i am running. I am also focusing on my swim, so if swimming is a weakness for you like it is me, perhaps get a swim analysis and learn drills to improve form. I also love snowboarding.

2013-10-27 7:41 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
I think Bruce raises a good point about considering other types of activities too, depending on your goals. Without knowing all the details, there's a tendency to give advice based on an assumption that the only goal is optimizing performance, but that's not always the case with amateur athletes who are more likely to be balancing performance goals with other life demands and a general goal of just maintaining good health and fitness.
2013-10-29 6:08 PM
in reply to: #4885406

User image

Expert
Yea it is kind of nice. I have a pretty balance workout routine that I'll keep up. The difference is that the intensity and distances will be less.

We offer classes at work which helps. Pilates, yoga and an aerobic boot camp. I'll keep up with my sbr as I train with a team and we have set days for each.

Also have the Disney marathon in Jan as well as Florida 70.3 in April.
Enjoy.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off season a.k.a. 2 and 1/2 months without a training plan, AHH! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Off Season Training Plans

Started by bergerbe
Views: 1492 Posts: 3

2012-11-20 2:01 PM runninirish

working on speed in off season or few months before IM

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 827 Posts: 4

2012-10-15 7:32 AM runk8run

In Between Off-Season and IM Training Plan

Started by chrisbowers
Views: 1320 Posts: 11

2012-01-21 12:22 PM acumenjay

What is your off season training plan?

Started by 98hogbay
Views: 1426 Posts: 13

2008-08-21 10:24 AM mattb1

IM training without a plan

Started by cantswim
Views: 1988 Posts: 23

2007-02-13 4:05 PM irongirl1976
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 18, 2013
author : eric_kenney
comments : 0
Looking at your past training to figure out the future season.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
End of season thoughts and tips
date : November 17, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 1
At BeginnerTriathlete.com there are so many plans that there is no need to ever do the same plans twice in a row or even two or three seasons in a row!

date : February 7, 2008
author : AMSSM
The off season should be just that – a time to rest your body, to rehabilitate injury, and to plan ahead on how to improve performance and prevent injury in the season to come.
date : December 8, 2006
author : acbadger
This is the time of year where you focus on your ‘weakest’ event and practice your drills, techniques, form, etc. Here I list some BT training plan options to get you through the off-season.

date : October 23, 2006
author : Team BT
Three new 'focused' swim, bike & run 8-week winter maintenance plans to offer improvement on your limiters. There will be workouts focused on technique and some focused on volume, speed, & strength.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.