General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racking a bike the night before with rain in the forecast Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-26 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Subject: Racking a bike the night before with rain in the forecast
I'm doing IMFL next weekend. Bike drop off is Friday and right now they're calling for downpours Friday night. What precautions should I take before leaving my bike overnight in the rain. I'll cover my seat and bars with a bag, I'm most worried about the drive-train sitting out all night in the rain.

2013-10-26 1:42 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Racking a bike the night before with rain in the forecast

I'd be worried too.

What about getting a cheap plastic painting "drop cloth" and covering the entire bike and taping up the plastic with duct tape or something?  Is that overkill?

2013-10-26 1:46 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Just let it get wet. Be sure to clean it and dry it and lube it after the race.

Nothing bad is going to happen from one night in the rain. It is WAY worse when you ride in the rain and then put away your bike damp.
2013-10-26 2:19 PM

User image

I've got to...

So, you're going to put a bag over the seat so when you get out of the ocean in your dripping wet tri shorts, the seat will be dry?

It was pouring the night before Timberman:

With this on the chain:
2013-10-26 2:44 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
I cover my WHOLE bike in plastic and actually had picked up some bike covers on amazon for pretty cheap - I had gotten them for the renovation in my apartment and dust but they worked GREAT at the 2 races I used them - have velcro at the bottom so no need to tape..... Cockpit, seat and drive train all stayed dry.
2013-10-26 2:46 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Personally I wouldn't do anything except take off/cover any computers.

Shane

2013-10-26 3:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Thanks for the input. Honestly in hindsight it does seem silly to cover the seat, I had just seen it done I'm most worried about it raining part of the night then the bike just sitting for a few hours damp (similar to putting it away damp) and the chain rusting. Will WTC allow me to bring in some sort of tarp to cover my bike? I know it seems silly, and I'm 100% sure I'll see much nicer bikes sitting out in the open I'm just OCD. OR maybe I'll just leave it out and bring chain lube morning of to clean just in case.

Edited by rjrankin83 2013-10-26 3:49 PM
2013-10-26 3:55 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Helmet and shoes in plastic bags.
2013-10-26 3:56 PM

User image

Originally posted by rjrankin83

Thanks for the input. Honestly in hindsight it does seem silly to cover the seat, I had just seen it done I'm most worried about it raining part of the night then the bike just sitting for a few hours damp (similar to putting it away damp) and the chain rusting. Will WTC allow me to bring in some sort of tarp to cover my bike? I know it seems silly, and I'm 100% sure I'll see much nicer bikes sitting out in the open I'm just OCD. OR maybe I'll just leave it out and bring chain lube morning of to clean just in case.

Oil your chain with a wet lube before your last training ride.
Do not do anything to it after that.

After the race, you're going to have a few days of not doing a thing. Take that time to either clean the snot out of your bike or take it to your LBS and tell them it was in the rain and get them to do a once over with drying.

In all honesty, if you just toweled off your bike after the race and oiled your chain again, you'd probably be just fine.

2013-10-26 4:28 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by DanielG

Originally posted by rjrankin83

Oil your chain with a wet lube before your last training ride.

After the race, you're going to have a few days of not doing a thing. Take that time to either clean the snot out of your bike or take it to your LBS and tell them it was in the rain and get them to do a once over with drying.

In all honesty, if you just toweled off your bike after the race and oiled your chain again, you'd probably be just fine.

Sounds good. Thank you!
2013-10-26 5:30 PM

User image

Pro

is this the first time your bike had gotten wet?

Hmmm.  Be careful not to let the carbon fiber parts rust...  

2013-10-26 5:58 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

I recall that at WTC's mandatory pre-race athletes meeting before an Ironman race, they ask people to not overly bag up their bikes or use full-blown bike covers.  They don't want bike covers blowing around transition, getting in the way of other athletes, etc. 

As others have said, after your swim you probably won't be dry yourself, so a wet seat shouldn't be a problem.  A wet drivetrain from falling rain isn't going to be too bad, not as bad as a wet drivetrain from the first 5 miles of riding wet pavement what with grit and all.  I live in the Seattle area, it's not the wet that's bad, it's the lubricated dirt and grit sticking to the drivetrain that causes problems.  You're basically wet-sanding your drivetrain if you don't keep it clean and ride it wet.

So if you do a thorough cleaning of your drivetrain before you get there, and use a lube designed for the wet (and not too much!) then you'll be fine with no covers or bags over anything. 

2013-10-26 6:18 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Thanks to those that offered advice. Taper brain is taking over and I'm overthinking a lot.
2013-10-26 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
This was a super-helpful post for anyone who has a bike in the rain occasionally.
2013-10-26 10:53 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY

[Oil your chain with a wet lube before your last training ride.

This. If your chain has a little oil on it, water won't affect it. Just clean and lube it again before your next ride so the grit doesnt keep grind at your drivetrain.

As a kid my bike lived outside, and even with the cheapest compnents, and NEVER cleaning it and only GREASING the chain when it looked really rusty, it never failed.. lol. I've learned a lot about bike maintenance in my latter years.

Edited by Bradleykd 2013-10-26 10:55 PM
2013-10-26 11:17 PM

User image

I always assumed people covered their seats so that water wouldn't go down into the seat post and cause rust. Yes...no...? Luckily I haven't had a race where this has happened yet. Kansas HIM let us bring bikes day of due to heavy storms that were forecasted.

Edited by Blastman 2013-10-26 11:17 PM

2013-10-27 2:04 AM
in reply to: Blastman

Master
, California

Originally posted by Blastman I always assumed people covered their seats so that water wouldn't go down into the seat post and cause rust. Yes...no...? Luckily I haven't had a race where this has happened yet. Kansas HIM let us bring bikes day of due to heavy storms that were forecasted.

I covered mine in Tahoe so it wouldn't be caked in ice.  Wish I had done the bars too.

Bring a roll of duct tape or electrical tape if there's a lot of wind and you have a disc.  The wind was howling and there's no way my bike was going to stay on the rack.  I ended up taping a triangle from the bar it was sitting on to my rear bottle cage to keep the bike from blowing sideways, and taped the front wheel to the frame so it would stay straight.  It's quick to just rip all that off on race morning.

2013-10-27 2:39 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
A RD told us personally that covering the bikes with plastic make plastic act like sails ,therefore with winds might slam to the next bike and is dangerous, when morning came all the plastics are gone. Like What Shane said would not be worried about bikes getting wet. We are wet ourselves when we hop on to our bikes. just saying.
2013-10-27 2:59 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Doing most of my racing in England I'm well used to this one!

There are plenty of bikes covered in tarps and some just cover the bars and saddles.

I've always left mine open to the elements but put my helmet, shoes and nutrition in a plastic bag next to it (rather than on it) and put them in place before the race in the morning.

There is a difference between 'rain wet' and 'cyclist wet' - if your race is near the coast and windy (as my most recent was in Copenhagen) - then the rain might be full of sand which can damage your bike. I was virtually sand blasted at IM Copenhagen after 90 miles! It doesn't affect what you should do in this situation but make sure you give it a good clean and some TLC when you get home after the race. This can easily be forgotten because you're tired and the bike gets left for two weeks untouched - although perhaps I shouldn't judge everyone but my own poor standards!
2013-10-27 10:04 AM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

it is always funny to me when i see bikes covered in plastic in transition.... you get out of the water soaking wet and jump on a bike that you end up sweating all over, blowing snot rockets, and peeing all over but they worry about some dew or rain the night before. its cute. As far as your chain and drive train if it is lightly oiled then there wont be any concern for rust on such a short time in the rain
2013-10-27 12:21 PM
in reply to: DanielG

Veteran

I've got to...

So, you're going to put a bag over the seat so when you get out of the ocean in your dripping wet tri shorts, the seat will be dry?

It was pouring the night before Timberman:

With this on the chain:

glad you did so i didnt have to - put i have read peeing on it actually does wonders

2013-10-27 1:13 PM
in reply to: #4885064

User image

New user

Orlando
Every time I drive from Orlando to Miami with my bike on the hitch mounted rack, it pours rain. So, pouring rain at 70 mph,and I have never had any issues. I do not cover the bike in transistion either. Usually it is not allowed to use a full bike cover and I dont think they're necessary.
2013-10-27 2:36 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by Blastman I always assumed people covered their seats so that water wouldn't go down into the seat post and cause rust. Yes...no...? Luckily I haven't had a race where this has happened yet. Kansas HIM let us bring bikes day of due to heavy storms that were forecasted.

I covered mine in Tahoe so it wouldn't be caked in ice.  Wish I had done the bars too.

Bring a roll of duct tape or electrical tape if there's a lot of wind and you have a disc.  The wind was howling and there's no way my bike was going to stay on the rack.  I ended up taping a triangle from the bar it was sitting on to my rear bottle cage to keep the bike from blowing sideways, and taped the front wheel to the frame so it would stay straight.  It's quick to just rip all that off on race morning.

Tahoe was a completely different beast. The air temperature was so cold that we were all doing full changes to dry clothing. A wet seat and bar pads would have been bad, so for the first time ever I covered the bars and seat.

I have left my bike in transition during 'monsoons' and never bothered to cover anything. Like others have said, I'm going to be soaking wet when I get on it so keeping it dry overnight never seemed worth the effort. I put a light coating if lubricant on the chain and bring a hand towel to do a quick wipe down in the morning. No need to over think this....

The duct tape is a great idea. I worry more about the wind than rain. Of course if the whole rack goes over (seen it happen) and your bike is duct taped to it, things could get interesting.
2013-10-27 7:26 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

I forgot about peeing on my bike.  I am guessing that when I do this on mile 10 of a 100 mile ride, this does far more damage than rain.  Unless you are in WV.  Acid rain

Let your bike get wet.  It's okay.  I promise!

2013-10-27 7:34 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Pro

Originally posted by strykergt A RD told us personally that covering the bikes with plastic make plastic act like sails ,therefore with winds might slam to the next bike and is dangerous, when morning came all the plastics are gone. Like What Shane said would not be worried about bikes getting wet. We are wet ourselves when we hop on to our bikes. just saying.

/thread

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racking a bike the night before with rain in the forecast Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

car bike rack and rain...

Started by michael_runs
Views: 1572 Posts: 4

2012-07-10 3:58 PM dsand97

Securing bike over night in transition (wind in forecast)

Started by bradaskins
Views: 1025 Posts: 9

2011-09-04 4:30 PM bradaskins

Driving with bike on rack in the rain

Started by robertp1024
Views: 1162 Posts: 11

2010-03-23 9:00 AM robertp1024

Rain in the forecast

Started by baltimore bethany
Views: 730 Posts: 11

2006-08-26 7:57 PM mscotthall

Racing in the rain, R.E. racking the bike

Started by thegomer
Views: 734 Posts: 9

2005-10-09 3:54 PM thegomer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 23, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.

date : May 24, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
My hunger stays under control well enough throughout the day eating every couple hours but come 9:00 pm I am again craving something sweet and if I don't eat I don't sleep.
date : August 7, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
My trouble is this: I work overnights, 11pm-7am. How many hours should I keep between workouts? What constitutes a 'day'? How does rearranging days affect the overall plans?

date : June 1, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
This video will show the basics of triathlon transitions including setup and how to use the space efficiently as possible to minimize wasted time.
date : March 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
Provide your body with a wholesome and nutritious meal and keep healthy, low-calorie evening snacks available for after dinner.

date : November 7, 2006
author : Ontherun
Sometimes things do not always go as planned, but an interesting and entertaining experience can come of it.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
The transition area gets busy real fast!

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!