General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transgender Ironman Blog Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-27 11:28 AM

Subject: Transgender Ironman Blog
Hello BT! It's been a long while since I was active on this site, well over a year and on a different account. To reintroduce myself I'm a male to female transgender Ironman triathlete and been competing in running races and triathlons for the past nine years since I was 13. I got my start in 8th grade after years of pressure from my dad to run, took me until I lost 30lb's and began triathlons for years ago to actually enjoy running. I competed in Ironman Lake Placid last year and finished in just over 16 hours thanks to crashing into the wall 60 miles into the bike ride. After a rough 2013 season dealing with depression, transition and a late season ending foot injury I'm ready to get back in the game and seriously compete next year. On 27 July 2014 at the ripe old age of 23 I will be a two time Ironman, competing in upstate New York again in beautiful Lake Placid.

I got back from injury yesterday to start Ironman training with a very short 2.35 mile run. For next year's season I wish to start up a blog detailing my training and racing in relation to my transition and the changes that have been and will take place over the course of the year. I've been on hormone replacement therapy since 3rd January 2013, consisting of estrogen and anti-androgen therapy.

The catch is I've never done a blog before so I'm coming here to seek some advice especially since the emphasis will be on my training and racing. I want to make bi-monthly posts starting the first weekend in November. So what do I need to know to get this started? Also what other triathlon and/or transgender related topics would be interesting to include? And if you guys have any questions I'll be more than willing to answer. Have a great day and off season fellow triathletes!

2013-10-27 11:51 AM
in reply to: Trigirl91

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Transgender Ironman Blog

Wow!  Welcome back :)

I don't know anything about blogging, so can't really help there, but I think this is fascinating and would  be interested in hearing about your journey.  In terms of training and racing I would be particularly interested to know if things feel different and what your energy level is like on HRT and specific performance changes. I would also be curious to know where you are in the process.  I'm not super familiar with it, but I thought there was some sort of waiting period for surgery and 22/23 sounds so young! 

Good for you for be willing to put yourself out there and answer questions.

2013-10-27 12:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Welcome back and congratulations on your transition. I don't think anyone outside my family has visited my blog, and I haven't gotten around to posting in two weeks, so sprinkle plenty of grains of salt over my thoughts before you dig in.

I find the hardest thing is convincing myself to sit down and write. I compose epic posts while I'm out running, but then I don't actually sit down and write them. Think about the blogs that you enjoy reading, where they post and what they look like. You might create accounts at a number of different blogging portals (tumblr, wordpress, blogspot, etc.) and play around with their features and see what works for you before you begin posting. Get good at hashtags and promote the heck out of yourself using twitter and facebook and instagram and whatever else the kids are using these days.

2013-10-27 12:56 PM
in reply to: switch

So...

Run against the boys or the girls?
2013-10-27 1:08 PM
in reply to: VGT

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by VGT So... Run against the boys or the girls?

Yes, I guess I would be interested in that too.  Do you need to declare yourself to the RD?  Even with surgery and HRT, I'm guessing years of muscle memory and athletics as a man could make a difference in performance, but I don't honestly know :)

2013-10-27 1:49 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Welcome!!! Enjoy BT!!!!

2013-10-27 1:54 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I use Blogger for my blog. It's super easy to use. There are other blog sites you can use as well that might be easier.

When you start, please post a link to your blog. I'd love to read it!
2013-10-27 1:57 PM
in reply to: #4885516

Thanks for the comments guys! I'll use my tumblr account for my blog and I'll give vlogging a try too. I use this user name.

I'll definitely detail the physical changes that has been happening. I've already been getting a bit weaker this year compared to last year actually. Also I'll tell how HRT will effect my training and racing. I'm even wondering what I may have to do different this year than last. I'll also detail my experience with various race directors too, especially since I'm changing my name within the next few months and a legal gender change some time next year. Anything else guys?

Finally I'll be competing as male next year, I contacted the IMLP race director and I was told to notify them of my name change when it becomes official and that they and USAT follows the IOC rules concerning transgender athletes. I'll have to compete as male until I get sexual reassignment surgery. Also after another year or so any advantages that I have over other girls will be largely be gone as my muscles will atrophy and my fat will redistribute to a more feminine pattern with HRT
2013-10-27 2:15 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
That is the kind of thing that interests me. I think we have a million race blogs out there. I do one, as fat guys are I believe required to blog about triathlon.

Since you asked, I think a blog needs to have a point of view worth reading. If i want a list of workouts and a log of what someone did every day, I'll check a pro blog. Otherwise, i want to read about what this endurance sports lifestyle means to a person. So, with gender identity being tied to your existence so prominently right now in transition, the hormonl shifts and how it affects your training, your racing, your identity in the community, that would be interesting. If you have a desire to blog it, I take it you have a willingness to be honest and open about it, and that can be eye-opening for those of us with no experience with your life. At the same time, seeing your story would likely spark thought in others about their own understandings of gender. That can only be a good thing. I write about the perspective of a man fighting a lifetime of obesity. I have reached many folks who have never been obese, but relate on the human level nonetheless.

I recommend wordpress as a free starter, with many options for layouts. I've liked it so far.

2013-10-27 3:12 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Pearland,Tx
2013-10-27 3:16 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

I was interested right off the bat with the hurdles of registering and which gender, when the change in registering would be, training obstacles just to name of few! Good luck OP

2013-10-27 3:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Even if it isn't relevant, and I'm not willing to concede even that, it is certainly interesting and would make the blog something different than the typical 35-50 year old triathlete blogging about their life and training. It would be a niche blog but I suspect people would be more interested in that than anything in my relatively boring life.

2013-10-27 3:34 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-27 3:46 PM

I'm starting this blog to document my own experience with transitioning, training and racing in my second 140.6 race. I want to show people that I and everyone else in the transgender community are people with the same hopes, dreams and fears as everyone else. We need to show more people that we do the same things as our cis brothers and sisters. Also we are a very at risk community with very high rates of depression, suicide, discrimination and abuse to name a few. I also think it would be interesting to start something that most people, myself included have never seen before. My transition is the biggest and toughest thing I have ever done in my young life, Ironman is a fun cake walk! I have to go through so much more to garuntee that I can enjoy the activities I love. Not many people have to contact RD's about themselves and ask what they should do to sign up. So please take your time and read up on transgender related issues and even follow my blog if you'd like to. All I ask is that if you have nothing nice to say then just don't say it, plain and simple. Nothing can change the fact that I'm a girl like half of the population, i was just born physically make. Just please be respectful to me and the wider lgbt+ community as you would to anyone else. I hope you have a good afternoon and hope you expand your horizons! Everyone else thanks for the support and suggestions, keep the love coming! I hope to make my first post next Sunday!

2013-10-27 4:04 PM
in reply to: switch

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Welcome! I look forward to reading your posts they should be interesting. As a gay male I understand some of where you are coming from, but your situation is quite different.

Good luck on your journey and I hope everything goes well! Just remember to ignore those that spew hate. They are entitiled to their opinions, but that doesn't mean we have to listen.
2013-10-27 4:15 PM
in reply to: Justin86

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Welcome to BT......You will find MOST of us welcoming and I applaud your honesty and bravery as apparently not everyone is accepting of your situation.  Good luck on your journey both in Triathlon and in life and FWIW I agree with Fred

2013-10-27 4:27 PM
in reply to: Socks

Welcome to BT. I would love to read your blog it seems very interesting to me.
2013-10-27 4:42 PM
in reply to: #4885643

I'm so excited to start this blog and begin my second IM journey. My friend will show the ropes with tumblr and I'll look into other sites to blog in. I know there are less than desirable people but as shown there are plenty more awesome folks out there! Hopefully I'll be able to meet those of you competing next year! And I'm re-loving this site all over again!
2013-10-27 4:54 PM

Originally posted by Trigirl91

I'm so excited to start this blog and begin my second IM journey. My friend will show the ropes with tumblr and I'll look into other sites to blog in. I know there are less than desirable people but as shown there are plenty more awesome folks out there! Hopefully I'll be able to meet those of you competing next year! And I'm re-loving this site all over again!

I would recommend wordpress for blogging. I've played around with a bunch of them and word press is my favorite.
2013-10-27 5:40 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Welcome to BT, I hope you have a great upcoming season and our journey through cisgender and transitioning goes well.

2013-10-27 6:45 PM
in reply to: #4885675

The next time someone tells me I'm taking on too much by doing ironman, I'm going to tell them about you! I'm sure you expected some narrow minded views and the lack of testosterone in your response backs up your decision to change gender....

All the best on your journey. I'll check into your blog, always interesting to see a completely different perspective on life.

2013-10-27 6:59 PM

Regular
Chicago

Welcome back to BT! 

Trigirl, as you said, not many people have had to call the RD and discuss gender issues. I find your position and the challenges you will face as you become and Ironman x2 very interesting and unique, and as such, your tri blog will be of interest to me. I wish you the best and good luck on your journey. Please continue to post.

Melissa

2013-10-27 7:05 PM
in reply to: Dan-L

Veteran
Calgary
I'm afraid I don't have any advice on blogging. However, I would definitely be interested in following your story on a blog. It seems that gender is more complicated than most of us realize. I recently finished the book "The Sports Gene" and when I saw your post I went back to reread an interesting chapter on gender differences in athletes. (As an aside - I highly recommend this book for anyone that's interested in the roles that nature and nurture play on sports performance.)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sports-Gene-Extraordinary-Performance-ebo...

A little googling also led to this SI article on The Transgender Athlete.

http://si.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1198744/index.htm

Good luck with your racing and your transition.

Don
2013-10-27 7:16 PM
in reply to: Dan-L

Master
MidWest

Welcome to BT!  As you have noticed, we are a very diverse group of people and  opinions.  I, for one, look forward to hearing of your journey and the things you learn about yourself, family, friends and society.

2013-10-27 7:30 PM
in reply to: BAMBAM66

Pro

Blog on Trigirl!  I'd rather read about your journey than what kind of pedals are best.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transgender Ironman Blog Rss Feed  

of 2