General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike to road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-27 11:51 AM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
Subject: Tri bike to road bike

I have been making do with only a tri bike.   That was fine as most of my training in on the trainer.   *We vampire types avoid the sun mostly.*   I would do the occasion long ride on my tri bike but have become reluctant to do this as my position in aero produces  severe tunnel vision.  Even though most drivers around here are courteous to riders I just don't want to take the risk any more.    I want to do more outside riding and do some group rides.   Right now I don't have the money to drop on a high end road bike.  So, for the moment, frugal being that I am,  I have decided to exchange my integrated aerobars for drop bars and brifters.      I was surprised at how easy it is to do and with the resulting ride.     I was never comfortable riding hands off whilst the bike sported the integrated system.    First time down the street I was back to riding free handed.       It's enjoyable to be riding on the road again.

Cost of conversion was minimal.    I had the stem and drop bars in my parts pile.    Bought the brifters second hand for a good price.   Bought new shifter and brake cables.    It took me off of 20 minutes to do the surgery.    That was a big boost in confidence.     

Now I have two bikes in one; drop configuration for the road and tri configuration for competition.    Two sets of bars, shifters, brakes, and cables make the conversion relatively painless.

Have wrench, can do....  

If this educator thingie runs out it's nice to have a secondary skill set to fall back on.   

Have an others done something similar?

MIchael

2013-10-28 4:48 AM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Tri bike to road bike
Oh Michael you heathen
I. Haven't done similar as I only have a road bike and have no desire to even think about a tri bike so that probably makes me worse than you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike to road bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

tri bike or road bike Pages: 1 2

Started by Ern
Views: 1042 Posts: 26

2006-07-22 10:56 PM JungleDoc

Tri Bike vs Road Bike

Started by Jak
Views: 612 Posts: 5

2006-05-30 9:16 PM parrj

Tri bike vs Road bike

Started by Drewwhite
Views: 1295 Posts: 14

2006-04-17 6:22 PM BeCivil

Tri bike vs Road bike

Started by rjba2000
Views: 648 Posts: 2

2006-03-23 9:51 AM the bear

Which approach Tri bike vs Road bike

Started by Biseman
Views: 1307 Posts: 17

2006-02-13 9:51 PM Biseman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : February 3, 2009
On my road bike after 45 minutes, I develop pain between my shoulder blades. It still persists unless I am on my tri bike.
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.