General Discussion Race Reports! » Door County Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Door County Triathlon - Long Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log
Egg Harbor, Wisconsin
United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 05m 5s
Overall Rank = 35/275
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/24
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 15 minutes before my alarm was set - birds are loud when you are camping! Ate a bagle and drank some Gatorade Endurance. Still hungry, so I had half another bagel. (Panera French Toast. Mmmmmm.....)
Event warmup:

After body marking, chip pickup, and setting up transition, I went for a short jog. Then I went to check on Chris and the girls. They were already at the playground, so I headed back to transition and headed out to warm up on the bike. Came back and started to head to the swim start. I was in my wetsuit before I found out the long course swim had been reduced to the short course of 1/4 mile due to water temp and waves. I swam for about 5 minutes to get used to the cold water.
Swim
  • 05m 36s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

I wasn't sure which wave I was in, so I asked the announcer (also the race director) which bib numbers were included in the first (elite) wave. Turns out mine was included, so I quick ran out to the group already wading at the start. I politely moved toward the outside of the group, but near the front, since I'm a strong swimmer. The gun went off, and we all ran/waded out at least another 30 yards to where the bottom dropped a bit. I felt good despite heading into the chop. A couple of times, I'd sight the bouy and then fall down the back side of a wave. I hit the turn around point right on the bouy, so I took the left and rode a few waves into T1. I passed several people on the way in a came out of the water fith or sixth in the wave.
What would you do differently?:

Be sure which wave I was in! Other than that, nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Took a bit to get the suit off. Transition was really tight, so it was a little tough to get to my stuff when bikes are roughly 8 inches apart, but I felt really good.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 07m 21s
  • 25.7 miles
  • 22.90 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where it got fun. I hammered this bike course. I wanted to save myself some for the run, especially for the bluff, but I felt great, my heartrate was reasonable for an Oly, and my legs felt strong, so I pounded. The Cateye said I averaged 24.7 MPH for the first 13 miles. I guess a slight tailwind and flat roads make it fun! I didn't drop too bad on the rollers and the one sort-of big hill, and I was able to average almost 23 for the bike leg.

Only one oh-s#$t moment in the leg - the course was open, so when a local runner was coming down the shoulder on the early part of the course, I moved out to the middle of the lane, smiled and waved to the runner, who returned the gesture. As I start to slide back over, some toolbox in my wave came shooting by on my right without uttering a sound. When I yelled an expletive, I got no reaction. At least I was the rider in front and he would have been the one to go down if he'd contacted my rear wheel. Where are those race officials when you need them?

Nothing - this was my best bike leg ever!
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

I swore when I drove the course on Saturday that I saw a "Mile 26" sign before turning into transition. Apparently, I ate something funny, because I saw the mile 25 sign, and all of a sudden, I'm being directed into T2 and I haven't got my feet out of my shoes. Yikes! I quickly took care of the situation and was able to jump off at the line and run to my stall. Racking the bike was OK, despite missing the right brake lever the first time. Got it squared away, socks and shoes on, squirt water on my head, grab race belt and I'm off.

Pay attention on course recon - a 25.7 mile bike course (usually) won't have a "Mile 26" sign. Duh!
Run
  • 49m 4s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the first time I felt really strong right out of T2 on a run. My HR was right where I wanted it, and I actually passed several people on the run! I'm not the best runner in any race, so I was really pleased.

The Women's overall winner passed my about 1.5 miles in - that chick can flat out fly! She's an amazing athlete.

I got passed by quite a few strong runners, but I posted my PB 10K time by over 5 minutes!

Nothing - I was really pleased with my performance
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around in the finish chute, wait for a printout of my splits, grab some grub, finisher's medal, and hang with the family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing - I was really, really satisfied with my performance. I'm thinking that I'm on my way to being fairly ready for IMMOO.

Event comments:

This is one of the best organized races I've participated in. Given this was only the second annual, it was phenomenal. Great for spectators and participants alike. I'll definitely be back for more next year.

Last updated: 2006-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:36 | 437 yards | 01m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/24
Overall: 11/275
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Ultrajohn
Course: Two sides of a triangle - out to bouys, take a left, head for the boat ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:46
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:07:21 | 25.7 miles | 22.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/24
Overall: 15/275
Wind: Little
Course: Loop - minor hill around mile 14, followed by nice downhill around mile 19, flat and fast other than that.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:04 | 06.21 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/24
Overall: 0/275
Course: Flat for 2 miles, really steep bluff for 1/4 mile (like 15%+ grade), flat to slight roll for 3.5 miles, and a steep downhill into the finish chute.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-28 7:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: Door County Triathlon - Long Course

2006-07-29 7:45 PM
in reply to: #496673

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Door County Triathlon - Long Course
Great race!! Nice placement. I did the inaugural Door County long course last year as my first ever triathlon, so I have fond memories of the race (did Racine this year instead). It was brutally hot last year and that bluff hill was a killer on the run. Congrats.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Door County Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed